xeno

co30 Domination! One Team

I'd like to know how I can enable the civilians in the towns. I've found the civ vehicle array but it seems to do nothing. Hours of search in your script files did not bring me further - although I have to admit they have become very comfortable to use!

The civlian code got removed. Will be back in 3.60.

There is another thing I would like to handle. I would like to set up that there is only one sidemission in 30 minutes. How can I do this?

In x_scripts\x_setupserver.sqf search for the  XClearSidemission function and change the following line

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

sleep 200 + random 10;

to your needs.

Will add a setup variable for that.

Btw .. I've nominated Domination 3 to the Community Awards 2008  wink_o.gif

Oh, thanks smile_o.gif

<u>

Important!!!!

There will be another bugfix release today or tomorrow...

Somehow saving scores when a player leaves the server got screwed up !!!!! (and some other small fixes).

</u>

Xeno

Thanks for your answer ..

be sure to check if every "SodlierWMedic" spelling mistake has gone  wink_o.gif There were some throughout the whole source code.

It's good to know there will be some updates in the near future. Too bad the team wants to play today  biggrin_o.gif So I'll have to recreate everything again.

Regarding the civilian code ... what do you have planned?

It would be nice to have an amound of civilians depending on the size of the town. 20 civilians in Rashidah would suck, 20 civilians in Corazol would suck ... I hope you plan some empty civ vehicle standing around as well as civilians moving around the city. Maybe they could get connected to a secondary mission like evacuating them from a town / killing them (depending on the fraction you're playing)?

As a matter of design it would be a good idea to place some civil fuel station on North Sahrani.

I've got an idea for a new base infiltration / attack. It would be nice if the player gets a message every 1 to 2 hours that an enemy tank batallion, enemy attack choppers/planes are going to attack the airport. This way the player would have time to form up a defense line and it's not just the ordinately few men trying to destroy the whole airport wink_o.gif

Another feature request by one of my players. It would be cool if the time until the next sidemission is created is depending on the count of the players. For 1 or 2 players it would be hard to wait 30 min. until the next side mission; on the other hand I don't want to have 10 players rushing sidemission every 5 minutes. You know what I mean? wink_o.gif

xeno, lovely update mate of domination you can tell there isnt much of a performance drop when respawning now, and seems less heavy on the server.

my questions tho, im not liking how you have to add a ammo crate to the mhq before you head off to the main obj, its a pain in the arse when ur playing alone, where can i find the script to change it back to the past version of domination

thanks

Also now the ace mod has a proper working parchute could you enable the paradrop flag at base, but restrict it so it doesnt just get used all the time.

be sure to check if every "SodlierWMedic" spelling mistake has gone  wink_o.gif There were some throughout the whole source code.

The complete system is not based on types anymore but on the slot the player has chosen.

Regarding the civilian code ... what do you have planned?

Waiting for ArmA 2 wink_o.gif

I've got an idea for a new base infiltration / attack. It would be nice if the player gets a message every 1 to 2 hours that an enemy tank batallion, enemy attack choppers/planes are going to attack the airport. This way the player would have time to form up a defense line and it's not just the ordinately few men trying to destroy the whole airport wink_o.gif

Oh, they don't destroy the whole airport anymore. They try to blow up the warfare aircraft factories rendering servicing vehicles/planes/choppers impossible if the factory doesn't ger rebuild.

A base attack is doable.

Another feature request by one of my players. It would be cool if the time until the next sidemission is created is depending on the count of the players. For 1 or 2 players it would be hard to wait 30 min. until the next side mission; on the other hand I don't want to have 10 players rushing sidemission every 5 minutes. You know what I mean?  wink_o.gif

Doable to, good idea.

Please do me a favour, register at dev-heaven.net and file some feature tickets (http://dev-heaven.net/projects/show/domination).

Otherwise I'm pretty sure that I will forget it again smile_o.gif (getting old). It's much easier to track feature requests and bug reports there than reading through all forum posts.

you can tell there isnt much of a performance drop when respawning now, and seems less heavy on the server.

Good to hear.

my questions tho, im not liking how you have to add a ammo crate to the mhq before you head off to the main obj, its a pain in the arse when ur playing alone, where can i find the script to change it back to the past version of domination

Try x_dropammo.sqf from an older version (you have to rename it to x_dropammo2.sqf and it might not work) or remove the parts that handle the new system from x_dropammo2.sqf.

Also now the ace mod has a proper working parchute could you enable the paradrop flag at base, but restrict it so it doesnt just get used all the time.

That is allready possible with the current version.

in i_common.sqf change

d_para_at_base = false;

to

d_para_at_base = true;

Default wait time before you can use the parajump at the base flag again is 30 minutes (1800 seconds).

If you want to change that...

d_para_timer_base = 1800;

Xeno

Please do me a favour, register at <a href="dev-heaven.net" target='_blank'>dev-heaven.net</a> and file some feature tickets (http://dev-heaven.net/projects/show/domination).

Otherwise I'm pretty sure that I will forget it again smile_o.gif (getting old). It's much easier to track feature requests and bug reports there than reading through all forum posts.

I know what you mean biggrin_o.gif I've added several things to keep you busy rofl.gif

Bugfix Release 3.52 available...

And yet another bugfix release.

Somehow storing points from players who disconnected got lost between 3.50 and 3.51.

It's back!

If no real show stoppers show up that will be the last bugfix release before the next version 3.60.

Sorry for again.

Download:

Domination! 3.52 Mission Pack

Please report any bugs that you find at http://dev-heaven.net/projects/show/domination (file a ticket).

Enjoy!

And have fun !!!!

Xeno

thanks

When playing alone, I find the following tricks/exploits useful.

1. Place MHQ2 near the flag in the base, or better yet in a hangar for saboteur protection. That way you can teleport back and forth as much as you like.

2. If you forget to add an ammo crate (when you get used to it, no problems), you can pickup an ammo crate with a chopper and fly it down. The MHQ can then pick it up.

3. If you run out of valueable ammo (Javelins come short when alone), you can load the ammo crate and drop it again after a few minutes.

The whole ammo system feels a lot more solid now, even if it means you have to work a little more for it. No more weapons you can't pickup, at least I have not witnessed this problem since.

My only grip with it is that it respanws the contents every time you drop it, so there are no needs to do 'ammo runs'. That might take a considerable amount of recode though, so I won't suggest it (yet) smile_o.gif

1. Place MHQ2 near the flag in the base, or better yet in a hangar for saboteur protection. That way you can teleport back and forth as much as you like.

'fraid not...

Quote[/b] ]- teleport back to base disabled. You can now only teleport to mobile respawn one and two (if the player dies he

can still respawn at base)

I still love Domination and play it almost exclusively but I find there are entirely too many restrictions in this latest version for my taste and for single players or small groups of 2-3 players. I don't have the gaming time to spend minutes of it free falling from 8888 meters, ammo boxes that contain not enough M107 ammo for one full load out, only one Javelin and one Stinger missile, inability to call arty strikes on targets I can clearly see and even hit a .50 rifle, inability to pre call an ammo drop to a place on the other side of the map that I am preparing to helo to or para drop into, etc.

I'll stick to 3.09.

- teleport back to base disabled. You can now only teleport to mobile respawn one and two (if the player dies he can still respawn at base)

Which is why you place mhq2 in base and take mhq1 with you to the field.

@Dogsbd:

So edit the mission to your hearts content. De'pbo the version you prefer and start filling up the crates as to how you wish. This mission is designed to be edited, with a tonne of settings easily accessible within without messing around with lots of scripts. Check out the i*.sqf files in root directory.

Restrictions is part of any good mission, as it adds realism, and I love where this is going. Personally I can't stand being the only one that dares venturing into main target as machinegunner surrounded by ten 'sniper wannabes' that 'snipe' with M109 at soft targets at 3-400 meters.

"Don't have time"? Why ArmA? To survive here you have to be patient, extremely so. Some of the new restrictions has been put there to "avoid rushing" and to eliminate exploits.

It is possible to clear a main target solo without getting killed too often. In fact, it is easier to do solo than when you're two or three, because you know what to anticipate and don't have to deal with other peoples mistakes. 3 M136 HP will disable (not destroy) a T90 if you go for the commanders turret. Small arms fire can disable a BRDM if you shoot at the tires. You just need to know the tricks and the advantages you have.

Haven't played (only tested) the ranked version 3.52 lately, so I don't know how that plays out, but I expect it to be even tougher than the non ranked version.

Main targets too frustrating? Do side missions, much easier although I myself think there are too much armor there.

Out of the box Domination is not suitable to play for 1-5 players, not at all. Then change the d_vehicle_numbers_guard type of parameters in i_server.sqf to values you can handle. If on your own server you don't expect or can't handle 30 players, make sure server is set to a lower number of players so that Domination doesn't become too easy.

There are stuff being considered to handle low playercount situations, but may not be implemented until ArmA2.

Ah yes. Not the first time I've been accused of not reading a post!

The thing is, the way we use it, we have 1 MHQ for the north island and one for the south.

Hehe, I simply have to accuse you again wink_o.gif

"When playing alone, I find the following tricks/exploits useful."

When others starts coming in, yes, the other MHQ will either be at other part of island or having both at same same target for multi flank support, or being used at side mission. When you play solo, you're around MHQ, take your time, and fly it to the next target disregarding distance. It only takes 2-3 minutes (? not checked though) by chopper to reach any part of the island.

I once played (and acted) as a heavy sniper. Since I never died (standoff distance, 1-1.5km away, reposition often) I couldn't create a new ATV. So I had to actually drive to each target. Going 1km by foot from MHQ loaded with M107 and ammo was out of the question. Usually I headed back to the airport once priority targets were done and left the rest to the other players.

Driving ATV from Cayo to Masbete was a tough one. Especially since I had little fuel left and had to turn back to the airport at Bagango wink_o.gif

Restrictions is part of any good mission, as it adds realism,

Some restrictions are good, but not all are realistic.

Going into the field with only 4-5 magazines because that is all that is in the ammo box? Not realistic unless you're modeling supplies being cut off and that's all you've received. As far as I can tell the short supplies are the norm in 3.52 upon starting the server, not the result of enemy cutting supply lines.

Not being able to direct artillery onto a target that is 750 meters away, clearly visible and within range of a .50 weapon? Not realistic at all. Not being able to direct an air drop to any point on the map, regardless if I can see it or not or if I am within 500m or 10000m is not realistic, IMHO.

If it is realism being sought "teleport" shouldn't even exist, as it doesn't in "real life". I would think being able use the parajump from main base would be more realistic than teleporting here and there.

As for solo tricks, I've done all you list. And then some. I'm quite adept at staying alive and I've cleared many main missions and side missions solo. But the changes in 3.52 will make that a much, much longer process. I prefer spend my time fighting, not traveling back and forth for ammo. More combat, less logistics.

Oh one other thing I noticed, maybe a bug maybe not. I called an ammo drop onto my position and the parachute landed almost on top of me (much better accuracy than I'd every seen before) but I never found the ammo box. Odd.

If it is realism being sought "teleport" shouldn't even exist, as it doesn't in "real life". I would think being able use the parajump from main base would be more realistic than teleporting here and there.

ArmA and realism doesn't fit in some points biggrin_o.gif Respawn doesn't exist, but should it be disabled in the Domination? Reaching a whole country within 3 minutes by chopper isn't realistic. Crossing the whole island within less than 30 seconds isn't realstic too biggrin_o.gif Having no civilians and active civil infrastructure isn't realstic wink_o.gif Or the thing every soldier can run and fight for an unlimited amount of time within taking a breath? tounge2.gif

Well ... it's just a game. Never mind the unrealistic things.

I like the way it's meant to be played biggrin_o.gif

I like the way it's meant to be played  biggrin_o.gif

That is sort of my point.

ArmA itself limits the level of realism that can be achieved. But even beyond that, you can't achieve greater realism by adding unrealistic elements.

To have it fully realistic there should be really really huge island where you would need hours to fly over with, days to get from point a to b, thousands of people doing their work, thousands of different 3d models just for houses, cars and people .... and this is only a small part of the optical thing. Hell it would be cool to have something like that in 50 years or so and a Domination running on it tounge2.gif

It's really funny I tried to start a similar project like domination in early 2007 but I never had the skills + time to create even an alpha version. From my point of view the Domination is showing the real war on Sahrani, not that campaign stuff of BI (sorry wink_o.gif)

There are only few things I'm missing to get the total feeling of beeing into something bigger than just a simple search & destroy mission:

- civil life on Sahrani (I know it's planned wink_o.gif)

- animal life on Sahrani (maybe if ArmA 1 + Domination can be ported to ArmA 2 the features of ArmA 2 can improve Sahrani as well)

- automatic supply lines that have to be defended and/or attacked (I know the ArmA AI will block this because they can get stuck on every corner)

- consequences! (as I've posted some pages ago I think) If you don't do this (at the side mission), then this will happen.

Xeno,

Is there an AI enabled ACE version kicking about? Would be good for those that play with either small numbers of friends or solo players.

[TAO] Kremator

Quote[/b] ]I like the way it's meant to be played

How is it ment to be played?

I believe features such as the paradropping from cleared targets was put in there in case some unlucky soul was left behind when his comrades rode off to the next target. The MHQs was supposed to be brought along. Instead it was exploited. Counter exploitation: HALO jumps starts at 8888 meters, have a nice flight wink_o.gif ATVs was being exploited as to rushing into targets being killed immediately. Now a limit is imposed on how long it takes before you can get a new one, to prevent this rushing. Maybe players would be more careful about their movements now, more like in real life?

I've played a great deal of nonorganized public Domination. Sure there are limits to how well you can teamplay during such events, but how it is actually played often borders to sheer stupidity. Like flying Blackhawks right over the target with no fear of getting self or chopper killed by a shitload of Shilkas and AA Pods down there. Hello?

Many people don't seem to have a clue what ArmA is all about, and play it like it is a regular action shooter. Well, it isn't. Domination isn't the most realistic mission out there, but it probably is the most dynamic, which is why I like it so much. I think the future of this 'platform' will provide the possibility to do scaled missions, to better suit low playercounts. Domination is also the best platform ever with regard to making own adjustments. Missions to hard for your typical players? Simply adjust the enemy force by editing a few numbers. It is designed to be modified, do it, don't just load up the default version from the package and call it a day smile_o.gif

Now, obviously we can't just shut out those that want to act like a Rambo, or user that are new to ArmA. What limitations does is try to guide these guys back onto the right track. And it works. Now most people wait to pick me up with a chopper.

Some exploits still exists. I.e. there is no check if you actually

have an M240 before you are allowed to build an MG nest.

Personally I'm not a fan of the unlimited ammo supply either, out in the field. I'd like a crate to be depleted and not be magically refilled every time you deploy it. That would make ammo runs a requirement.

ArmA/Domination isn't realistic? It's how realistic you choose to play it, mostly. Engine limitations exist, and the fact that it is a game, needs us to have some flexibility on the realism scale. But I'm sure if Domination had nukes for every player, everyone would use it. I say we need to some have limitations and restrictions in order to become better ArmA gamers and team players. Once we spent three hours just getting to the main target, because of patrol infested island (highly modified Domination, patrols are not used in Domination I think) when our choppers where downed. We could have just respawned, but that's not how we roll. Realism? It's your own choice how far you are willing to take it.

We like realism, and Domination has allowed us that through some very simple editing of the various setup/init scripts.

Quote[/b] ]Not being able to direct artillery onto a target that is 750 meters away, clearly visible and within range of a .50 weapon? Not realistic at all. Not being able to direct an air drop to any point on the map, regardless if I can see it or not or if I am within 500m or 10000m is not realistic, IMHO.

You are the forward observer, not the FDC. FDC would have preregistered planned targets for such events, something like Domination doesn't every try to implement. As an observer you are supposed to provide accurate targets, and adjust as needed. Thus you are required to observe the target area. This limit enforces that.

I don't understand why you think this isn't realistic. What isn't realistic, is that you are allowed to bomb the crap out of cilivian areas like that with nonpreciscion munitions. Modern ROEs would probably enforce denial of such missions.

I agree the 500m limit is a bit strong, so I have upped it to 2000m in my own edit. Drop range stays at 500m, because you are guaranteeing the safety of the drop chopper.

Quote[/b] ]More combat, less logistics.

Here is where I actually differ. Logistics is an extremely important part of warfare. Naturally we won't ever go into realistic realms here, thank god smile_o.gif But adding more logistic elements adds a better sense of this being a military simulation and not just a shooter. As I already stated, with lifting the island is small enough so that it doesn't take excessive amounts of time to do this. Might be slightly boring at times, but so is war smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If it is realism being sought "teleport" shouldn't even exist, as it doesn't in "real life". I would think being able use the parajump from main base would be more realistic than teleporting here and there.

I agree. But the newly arrived player has to get around somehow. In realistic missions, there is always a pilot to do troop transport. Game over when he logs out or was killed (seagull slot). With teleporting, although magical, the player can get out to place, but without being able to land where he so chooses. If paradrop is enabled, it should be set high enough to avoid transport being engaged by Shilkas or AAs, and denied if there was enemy airplanes in the area.

Quote[/b] ]Oh one other thing I noticed, maybe a bug maybe not. I called an ammo drop onto my position and the parachute landed almost on top of me (much better accuracy than I'd every seen before) but I never found the ammo box. Odd.

Maybe a temporal marker, or jip'able ammo marker should mark the actual land position? I did this in my version way back.

Just checked: It appears excactly where the Air Drop Zone marker shows. However, my weapons crate was floating 0.5 meters in the air. Accuracy of drop is now adjusteable, defaults to 0 which is right on the marker.

Quote[/b] ]How is it ment to be played?

The correct spelling is meant.

Quote[/b] ]ATVs was being exploited as to rushing into targets being killed immediately. Now a limit is imposed on how long it takes before you can get a new one, to prevent this rushing. Maybe players would be more careful about their movements now, more like in real life?

I actually don't care how stupid other players are with ATV's etc. that they spawn from the MHQ. I think the correct solution for encouraging players to avoid being killed every 2 minutes is to make it more costly to the person getting killed, not to all players. IE make death cost -20 points for example.

I do care however when players use common equipment (the standard choppers, trucks, MHQ) and side mission won equipment recklessly. The penalty to being reckless with these should be severe. I would like it if there were a way that after 2-3 repeat infractions a player was automatically kicked.

Quote[/b] ]Many people don't seem to have a clue what ArmA is all about, and play it like it is a regular action shooter. Well, it isn't.

I do hope you're not insinuating that I.....

Quote[/b] ]Domination isn't the most realistic mission out there, but it probably is the most dynamic, which is why I like it so much.

Agreed, 100%

Quote[/b] ]Now, obviously we can't just shut out those that want to act like a Rambo, or user that are new to ArmA.

New user yes, but I do want to shut out "Rambo". That's why I like the idea of negative points penalties for stupid behavior. I feel that I'm having a bad day if I get killed before reaching at least 100 points, and I usually go for a session of 1-2 hours and never die. But there are many who die repeatedly and accomplish little or nothing against the enemy. I'd like to see those sort of actions penalized.

Quote[/b] ]Personally I'm not a fan of the unlimited ammo supply either, out in the field. I'd like a crate to be depleted and not be magically refilled every time you deploy it. That would make ammo runs a requirement.

Unlimited ammo is unrealistic, but so is the idea that an ammo drop from a UH60 or an M113 would only contain a dozen magazines for an M16 etc. Or only one Stinger.

Quote[/b] ] Realism? It's your own choice how far you are willing to take it.

That is true. My philosophy is however to not limit the choices the players has as much as reward/penalize them for the choices they take. Greater rewards for working methodically and carefully to complete a mission without taking losses and greater penalties for being reckless.

Quote[/b] ]You are the forward observer, not the FDC. FDC would have preregistered planned targets for such events, something like Domination doesn't every try to implement. As an observer you are supposed to provide accurate targets, and adjust as needed. Thus you are required to observe the target area. I don't understand why you think this isn't realistic.

I can observe a target at 750m, but I can't call arty on it. I can observe targets at 1000m, 1500m or even 2000m but as it stands now I can't call arty on them. That is unrealistic.

Quote[/b] ]What isn't realistic, is that you are allowed to bomb the crap out of cilivian areas like that with nonpreciscion munitions. Modern ROEs would probably enforce denial of such missions.

What if I'm playing East? LOL

But seriously, again we're talking different philosophies. You want to restrict a players choices, I want to let him make the choice and then be rewarded or penalized based on the choice he makes. Call arty on civilians? You get penalized. Load up a UH60 and fly right into the teeth of enemy AA and die, penalty.

Quote[/b] ]Here is where I actually differ. Logistics is an extremely important part of warfare.

Yes it is. What's the phrase, "Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."

But I don't think many of us bought ArmA as a logistics sim. There has to be logistics in any good Domination session, but I think the balance has swung too far toward logistics and away from combat.

Quote[/b] ] But the newly arrived player has to get around somehow.

Parachute. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]In realistic missions, there is always a pilot to do troop transport.

In the AI versions you can put an AI pilot in a UH60 and have him fly you anywhere then eject, paradrop in (and not from 8888m) and order the pilot to fly back to base etc.

To have it fully realistic there should be really really huge island where you would need hours to fly over with, days to get from point a to b,

Not really, the size of the battle field has nothing to do with how realistic the battle is. Real life battles have taken place on small islands like Crete, Malta, Guadalcanal, Falklands etc. Granted these are larger than Sahrani, but PC limitations can't be avoided entirely.

Quote[/b] ]The correct spelling is meant.

Lol, sorry. I meant to to articulate/emphazie (?) it, not attempt on spell correction smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]IE make death cost -20 points for example.

20 points would be way too much imho. Maybe it should depend on if you are infantry, sniper, and if you were crew of a vehicle. But you can probably set it higher now in the newer versions. Death is now subtracted from the score, as is team killing I think.

Quote[/b] ]I do hope you're not insinuating that I.....

Haha, no smile_o.gif Talking about the madness that goes on in general on public servers.

Quote[/b] ]New user yes, but I do want to shut out "Rambo". That's why I like the idea of negative points penalties for stupid behavior.

It's not easy to differenciate stupidity from accidents and being plain unlucky. We kick Rambos if they just fail to have any sort of team play capability. But sometimes they do add that little uncertainty on what is going to happen. AI can be very predictable unless provoked.

Quote[/b] ]I feel that I'm having a bad day if I get killed before reaching at least 100 points, and I usually go for a session of 1-2 hours and never die.

Man you have high standards smile_o.gif I rarely make it through 30:1 as infantry. Also depends greatly on server AI difficulty setting.

Quote[/b] ]Unlimited ammo is unrealistic, but so is the idea that an ammo drop from a UH60 or an M113 would only contain a dozen magazines for an M16 etc. Or only one Stinger.

In Dominatrix, you only got ammo in the crate that was available to your class. I had extremely little ammo so that players were forced to enter the MHQ making it a target again. Placement and protection of the vehicle became important. How each player had to drop his own crate was just me not being up to the task. In Domination the whole ammo system is rewamped, now every crate is handled locally on clients. Gets me a nice feature to utilize for roleplaying, as well as you don't get all those MP crate problems that usually occurs.

It is equally unrealistic currently with all that ammo, and weapons, in a single crate.

I don't want anything to become impossible, only more realistic, challenging and demanding. Btw, I ment player ammo runs i.e. in a chopper, not that magical thingy. That would be only for true emergencies.

Quote[/b] ]My philosophy is however to not limit the choices the players has as much as reward/penalize them for the choices they take.

I agree on reward and penalties, but my philosophy is role playing. Why would anyone pick a machinegunner slot and run around sniping? This isn't realistic to me. I prefer a mission where slots are balanced to try to resemblence an actual platoon (with combined roles in certain cases even if not realistic). As combat engineer, I never even saw a scope in my whole company smile_o.gif In my version, I tried limiting scopes and binocs earlier to only special slots, but the big problem is that AI in ArmA doesn't need scopes to see well, and through trees.

Quote[/b] ]I can observe a target at 750m, but I can't call arty on it. I can observe targets at 1000m, 1500m or even 2000m but as it stands now I can't call arty on them. That is unrealistic.

I agree, and thats why I suggest upping this distance to 2000m. What I'm not happy about was the earlier system when you could call arty on Pita while still on the airport. I feel this is a natural limitation, it's just a bit too strong. Standard danger close is 600m, which puts all Domination missions into this category biggrin_o.gif Though ArmA arty is really not powerful enough.

I never use the AI on AI servers. I'm not able to cope with them. I hate trying to command them, they never end up where and how I wanted them. Now, if you are awarded the AIs score, I think you should also get penalized for loosing him.

Quote[/b] ]But I don't think many of us bought ArmA as a logistics sim. There has to be logistics in any good Domination session, but I think the balance has swung too far toward logistics and away from combat.

I don't really count lifting the MHQ to a new position as logistics. And with infinite ammo, I really don't think there is much logistics in Domination at all. I agree it shouldn't be overdone, fighting is the most important. But to feel like a military realism based 'simulator', I need more than shooting at a T72 biggrin_o.gif Sure, doing tactical movement, maintaining formation, covering a sector, actually being able to rely on the other guy behind me --  is heaven, but that usually don't work out too well on public mayhem servers. So I'd happily take a little logistics instead to compensate.

Quote[/b] ]Parachute.

Well, if it was realistic enough to let you be flown in with a non captive chopper, loosing points if the chopper was downed, then fine by me. But not that magical insertion directly over target at 1000m. If magical like now, then proper HALO heights (beyond AA reach), and deal with the wait. Off course I had to experience a HAHO drop (ACE or Domination bug probably) from 8888m, now that took some time biggrin_o.gif

Agreed, you just can't neglect PC limitations. Simply have to do the best of what you've got.

I never use the AI on AI servers. I'm not able to cope with them. I hate trying to command them, they never end up where and how I wanted them.

Just wanted to comment on this.

I almost never take any AI troops "into the field" with me, I just leave them at base. This does a couple of things for me:

1. Provides base security. I've found an almost perfect placement plan for my 8 AI dudes so that any invading Spetnaz are usually taken care of within a minute or less of their foolishly trying to land at the main base.

2. Provide extraction. If I find myself stranded somewhere I can tell one of my AI dudes to get in a UH60 and fly to my location and pick me up.

3. Helpers in repairing wrecks. If there are 2-3 wrecks that need repair I will order 1-2 AI dudes down to the wreck repair area and when I drop a wreck I have them get in and move it after it is repaired while I am going to pick up the next wreck, by the time I get back the pad is clear for me to drop another wreck onto the pad.

About the only time I take them into the field with me is if I have combed a main mission town and can't find that last remaining enemy soldier. Then I'll use the AI dudes as extra sets of eyes by spreading them out on one side of town and then send them through on varied paths hoping they can spot him.

It's great to listen to you guys discussing the intricacies of Domination. It's definitely a fantastic mission.

Kudos to you for trying to maintain some sort of "tactical protocol" while playing on public servers...PHEW!

When you say you don't take AI into the field, I'm assuming you have enough players on the server to compensate for that...?

Quote[/b] ]1. Provides base security. I've found an almost perfect placement plan for my 8 AI dudes so that any invading Spetnaz are usually taken care of within a minute or less of their foolishly trying to land at the main base.

Why not just turn that off? That's what I've done in all the big "super-missions" that I play. I find it to be very goofy. When Xeno had that big 2-story bunker at base I was able to simply lean out the open door and wax all the Opfor. Their CQB skills are pretty pathetic. Which can be illustrated (on a side note) when I found myself prone with an enemy standing right over me. He missed me at point blank range maybe because he couldn't point his AR that far down so I lifted my SAW and unloaded in his crotch.  nener.gif