Sign in to follow this  
masamune

Is OFP for me?

Well here is my deal. I originally started playing CS:S but quickly moved on to America's Army for the sake of realism. I Played that for some time but was turned off my some of the more restricted map sizes, so I began to play BF2. Now I enjoy BF2 but its come back to the realism point. I don't like pumping a great deal of ammo into an enemy with out him droping. So I started to play the Arma Demo and for me to even run it i need to settings to be set to VERY LOW. and even then the game runs like Crap... Now I have a Decent system... Its no Uber-Gaming Platform and the graphics card could stand to be updated but it runs BF2 Just fine on default settings.

Now Here is the Meat of the question(s)

-Are the "Modern" mods popular in the sense that many people play them?

- On a system with a;

AMD 64 4000+ 2.2ghz Dual Core (I know its not optimized for a Dual Core)

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

2 Gb of ram

How well would OPF run?

it would run great but after CSS I am sure this isnt your cup of tea. Its slow paced, sometimes you play missions for a few hours to complete them. it really is a tactical sim more so than a game. I would say if you can get into it you would love it. I know I was a die hard Delta Force/ Americas Army type player that was converted to OFP by a friend and I love it.

I didn't like CS:S for purely that reason...

And Im still on the ball about ARMA... Im thinking of building a custom Gaming rig for my room....

this game is not like those others. you can die with 1 shot from an unseen ai just camping some stupid forest/hill/town/etc...

OFP was freak'n great when everyone played the multiplayer, but now the majority moved to arma (which i play and love, but hate the dang cheaters)

only way you really know if its for you is if your play it. i know i've been playing it sense... well... when did the game come out again? tounge2.gif

It's definitely worth to try!

Get a Game Of The Year edition.

There hasn't been many games that I have tried, which really made me enthusiastic about it. First game in that category was The Secret Of The Monkey Island I and another one was Operation Flashpoint.

Many missions of the Cold War Crisis campaign in OFP could easily take many many hours to complete from me, as I purely enjoyed what I was doing, and often didn't have any rush to go forward, but just observed the enemy from the bushes and planned how I will drop every single one of them, one by one shooting to the left, or to the right, eye.

There hasn't been many games which get into this category. Call me picky or whatever you want, I don't care smile_o.gif

In OFP u can however move ur player move quicker than in ArmA so it isnt in so hard realism level and the adjusting to gamplay is easier.

Well judging by your system, both ArmA and OFP ought to run quite smoothly on your system.

As you might've noticed, OFP isn't a CQC game. Most of the engagements take place at ranges greater than 20m, even that is pretty much a covert op sure shot. Usually the distance is the "basic" distance, 100-300 metres.

If you want it, get it. Go find the GOTY edition, shouldn't be too expensive, seen it being sold for few bucks at best. Install it, get few good mods such as FDF and WGL; both are quite realistic and done with both gameplay and realism in mind. Find some people who play either (Pulverizer has just set up a WGL server, and CiA still runs coop nights both Sundays and Wednesdays). If the price isn't too much, I suggest you give it a try no matter what. You can still just fool around in SP if you want, making missions and such.

There are also quite a few ArmA "tactical" clans already, in the positive meaning of the word. Zeus, of WGL and FDF legacy, runs game nights on Saturdays and Thursdays as far as I know.

OFP is so cheap, what's not to like about trying? smile_o.gif

I always say to people that it can take up to a week to "get" Operation Flashpoint. There seems to be a magic "Ah-ha" moment after a while where everything suddenly clicks and you understand why it's so highly regarded.

As stated above OFP isn't an action game. Good action is your reward for extensive planning and scouting. In any case if you do get into to it, go to www.OFP.info. From there you can download almost every mod/addon ever created.

The advantage of OFP is the amazing amount of quality community content. You can get anything you want: Chinese army, Swedish army, 2 Russian mods (Orcs/RHS), Middle East (Lost Brothers Mod), US, African (Tonal) - you name it. In no other game can you have the world's army's in your fingertips. And that's besides mods meant to enhance the game, such as the popular FFSX in the nearby thread.

If this sounds as a worthwhile reward for a game in which rushing forward gets you killed, go for it.

Try the OFP Demo, thats what got me into it wink_o.gif

I think the spring 2001 OFP demo isnt represent the hard modded OFP quality at all . "The Ambush" mission was great on its time but the engine was so ugly and limited that only the basic sense of freedom and gameplay is still exist. There is hardly any player to other mods than FDF-mod anymore in MP.

I didn't like CS:S for purely that reason...

And Im still on the ball about ARMA... Im thinking of building a custom Gaming rig for my room....

If you get a rig that runs it then ArmA is your game given its updated to the latest patches and runs smoothly on high settings.

I came to this forum last week (four days to get approval to post?!?) intending to ask one question, and this seems a good spot for it...

ArmA now, or OpF next week and a pizza?

I can get ArmA at the store for 40 bucks, or order GotY Operation Flashpoint for 20 bucks and get it next week. I don't do multi-player, in fact the machine I play games on has no internet connection (so patch downloads and such are a bit of a pain since I have to portage them with a flash drive).

Opinions?

No multi? then arma is definatly not for you. Its campaign sucks and the single missions will get boring after a while. Get OFP GOTY play through that and then try out the tons of mods for single player smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Turkeys Posted on Sep. 19 2007,00:22

No multi? then arma is definatly not for you. Its campaign sucks and the single missions will get boring after a while. Get OFP GOTY play through that and then try out the tons of mods for single player smile_o.gif

Thanx...

It's like this... if you're into Real Life... then you'll love OFP. It's atmosphere is like no other game. Ever. Even ArmA doesn't come close to the 'feel' of OFP. As long as you've patched it to 1.96, it's good. I would recommend using the FDF mod, (but dont touch the FDF missions, stick with the standard OFP ColdWarCrisis/Resistance islands) because the FDF mod is recognisably the most varied and balanced of all mods, and most importantly of all the thunder sounds have been replaced, as have many other weather/natural sounds.