Sign in to follow this  
scubaman3D

FN SCAR

So I found a great model of a SCAR H for free on the internet and set about making a Special Forces Weapons addon for ArmA.

I don't take any credit for this model and the author only asks that it not be used to make money and to give credit where credit is due, but I would like to know if anyone might be interested in helping me develop the addon.

What I've done so far:

scaringameof2.jpg

edit: added XM110

xm110ingamevn9.jpg

Freakin AWESOME! I can't believe this is the first SCAR to be seen in ArmA. I mean, these things have already been adopted for service with combat units in the field. They should've been included in Combat Operations first release.

Looks awesome mate - I wish I could help - but I'm hopeless at 02 and configs...

AWESOME!! ive been hoping for a SCAR!

and geese, models great, and it fits PERFECT in the ArmA soldiers hand man. Positioning couldnt have been better!

biggrin_o.gif!

u could "borrow" the scar sounds from ghost recon 2, those sounds are yay.gifyay.gif

^ yes that would be good! The thing I have most trouble with is the config...and by trouble, I mean that I'm almost clueless...I'm learning by trial and error.

I'm very much using the SIX Weapons pack as a template of sorts.

I'll need to get permissions - that scope is from the M14DMR in the SIX pack and the stock and lower reciever if from the HK 417 by Garlay - who has said that I can play with his model if I'd like.

I would like eventually to end up with more "Spec Op" looking soldiers and an assortment of SOF weapons that are in service or will be very shortly.

u could "borrow" the scar sounds from ghost recon 2, those sounds are  yay.gif  yay.gif

Those sounds have  already been "borrowed" by an un named Swiss themed mod. smile_o.gif

edit: Well I have a voulenteer for texturing the SCARS. Anybody able to help with the configs??

Also, here is a list of weaps I'd like to release:

SCAR H CQC, Standard, Sniper (in progress)

SCAR L CQC, Standard, Sniper

XM110 & SD variant (in progress)

XM109 (in progress)

M249 para (in progress)

MK12 MOD0 SD w/bipod (in progress)

wounderfull, looking fw for ur release, but one ques.. hope its not dumb, but will these weapons be in ammo crates or being used by unite , hope u got my ques

anyway nice job again.. regards

Well I guess I haven’t thought of that, but I was planning on giving them to units.

Looks great mate - but my 2c would be to get rid of the forgrip - just because it looks weird when ArmA characters hold their rifles...

But it's your rock show mate - GJ wink_o.gif

Somehow the Model looks strange. Think it needs some sharp and smooth edges!

hmm, too bad blackblood isn around anymore, his scar model was really good for ofp and with addition of normal maps and so on it would rock in ArmA I think confused_o.gif

Looking forward to further progress on your scar scuba smile_o.gif

I doubt you'd like to hold the RAS pannels in RL without a grip or covers though...

Perhaps, but in reality you can actually twist your left wrist.

The ArmA men cannot.

Thanks for the comments guys.  This is literally my first attempt at anything related to OFP/ArmA modding and 3D modeling and texturing in general, so please be patient while I learn. After its released, anybody and their brother is free to modify the model and retexture it or whatever.

@ Stewy: I agree, I don’t like the foregrip either and will remove it.

@ Sgt_Eversmann: What do you mean? Can you elaborate on what you see wrong with the model? I will try to fix it.

I don’t anticipate this will be the prettiest model in the world when I’m done but I don’t want it to be an eyesore either.

i think that Sgt_Eversmann is refering to the areas around the vents above the barrel and the edges along the ejection port and also the area along the cocking handle.

wow, this is one of my fav rifles...

glad to see it comin out for arma...

notworthy.gif

hmm, too bad blackblood isn around anymore, his scar model was really good for ofp and with addition of normal maps and so on it would rock in ArmA I think confused_o.gif

I think Jackal is taking up his SCAR pack, but its on the backburner while Jackal works on his other weapons.

Sgt_Eversmann is correct that some parts still lack proper sharpen values...Like the stuff marked in red lines, but there is more...would need an O2 screeny:

scaringameof2_sharpen.jpg

Overall model looks good i guess (poly count?)

Hope you got the experience or learn, as you will need to have a set of res lod too in the end wink_o.gif.

OFFTOPIC: But i agree BB's SCAR pack was one of the best around. Even as released as OFP weapon, it would be detailed enough for ArmA model imho. Sad he left (still hope he comes back)...but untill then hope is on Jackal tounge2.gif .

Anyway, good luck.

PS: is/was the model already properly unwrapped?

Hi, as far as i know... BlackBlood came back one day, i even PMed

him to tell him how glad i was of see him again; but he never sent

his models to Jackal, or that was the last words that i heard of

the BlackBlood's SCAR's L & H models to Jackal. Let's C ya

Sgt_Eversmann is correct that some parts still lack proper sharpen values...Like the stuff marked in red lines, but there is more...would need an O2 screeny:

[imghttp://users.pandora.be/EEChome/scaringameof2_sharpen.jpg[/img]

Overall model looks good i guess (poly count?)

Hope you got the experience or learn, as you will need to have a set of res lod too in the end wink_o.gif.

OFFTOPIC: But i agree BB's SCAR pack was one of the best around. Even as released as OFP weapon, it would be detailed enough for ArmA model imho. Sad he left (still hope he comes back)...but untill then hope is on Jackal tounge2.gif .

Yes it is. I have a uv map and I know about the res LODs. The gun works and shoots straight but its a matter of making it look "prettier".

Oh, and I have come to the realization that I don't know how to generate normal maps.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll take it under advisement smile_o.gif