Sign in to follow this  
Rambo-16AAB

Request for official CD Key/ Player ID registry

Ok,I have to tell you this.Are you guys mad crazy_o.gif ?Are you,freaking as*holes or something mad_o.gif ?I saw much threads about banning players with 10 numbers wide ID's and stuff like that and I need to tell you a little story...I'm from Bulgaria.In my country,first of all we're quite poor,but that's not the problem.The problem is that we don't even have the game in our stores (beleave it or not)!!!Second,you can't simply buy it from another country 'cause the shipping costs are way too expensive!I have a solution - I have a frind that goes to Germany often and he bought the game for me.But what do other people do?Huh?If they like to play the game?I have a frind who has an "illegal" version of the game and we play coop almost everyday!Also,it's not only my country,there are many more countries like that.If you don't like TK'ers (I hate them too though) you can ban them or whatever.I just want to tell you to stay cool with all this.And if BIS wants to do something,it should do it,but not you.Hope you understand my position and understood the written above.No hard feelings,ok?

I voted YES. It wont cure it all, but its a start.

I dont play Arma any more online, since the 'Surge' of script kiddies and wanna-be hackers populated the public servers.  I kinda think all this recent hype about them has only made people more eager to try out these scripts. And the makers of the cheats more determined to come up with more scripts, for the adulation and notoriety they think they will recieve.

Its totally ruined it for me.  I can tolerate maybe one or two games being corrupted by these people, but not every game, every night.

BIS do something about it please!

Ok,I have to tell you this.Are you guys mad crazy_o.gif ?Are you,freaking as*holes or something mad_o.gif ?I saw much threads about banning players with 10 numbers wide ID's and stuff like that and I need to tell you a little story...I'm from Bulgaria.In my country,first of all we're quite poor,but that's not the problem.The problem is that we don't even have the game in our stores (beleave it or not)!!!Second,you can't simply buy it from another country 'cause the shipping costs are way too expensive!I have a solution - I have a frind that goes to Germany often and he bought the game for me.But what do other people do?Huh?If they like to play the game?I have a frind who has an "illegal" version of the game and we play coop almost everyday!Also,it's not only my country,there are many more countries like that.If you don't like TK'ers (I hate them too though) you can ban them or whatever.I just want to tell you to stay cool with all this.And if BIS wants to do something,it should do it,but not you.Hope you understand my position and understood the written above.No hard feelings,ok?

So what? I also don't have a lot of money and saved up for ArmA.

If you friend likes ArmA so much, he can save a bit by bit and eventually buy ArmA in one way or another.

Just because your friend who uses an illegal copy plays coop in a respectable way doesn't mean that we should allow illegal copies to be used online. What's the point then? Why buy the game?

This is one of the things that can restrict cheating to at least some extent, the very persistant will go on, but the casual script kiddie(the one that just downloads the cheats and plays around with them) will stop once he sees that you need to register or create an account with a valid key.

@lwlooz: calm down, it's not like they'd be taking personal information.

I voted yes, the game is getting damaged due to these idiots. The main server that you log into could be paid from advertisements.

The problem is that we don't even have the game in our stores (beleave it or not)!!!Second,you can't simply buy it from another country 'cause the shipping costs are way too expensive!

I suppose this is why you can buy the game online

Voted "yes" as well.

The problem is that we don't even have the game in our stores (beleave it or not)!!!Second,you can't simply buy it from another country 'cause the shipping costs are way too expensive!I have a solution - I have a frind that goes to Germany often and he bought the game for me.But what do other people do?Huh?If they like to play the game?I have a frind who has an "illegal" version of the game and we play coop almost everyday!

So let me get this right.

Your too poor to get the game online or thru other means. However you can afford the computer to play it and you can afford the internet to play online with. I don't see how this works out.

There is no reason not to pay for it, if you just wanted to see if it was worth it there might be a thin thread of maybe however there is a nice demo out. So that's no longer an excuse.

this a good idea but i can't see BIS doing it

Voted YES

somthing needs to be Done MP is getting worse everyday crazy_o.gif

Guys, back on topic please, this is NOT a discussion on who can and cant afford the game.

Sorry, people just irk me when they try to justify stealing software. Btw, i voted yes (not that it will impact bis)

If you decide to do something, make it

1. Simple. We don't want to read 500 pages long Terms of Use and fill out 900 options about our social life, our haircolor, the name of our cats and so forth.

2. No feel of insecurity. Maybe, ID (which automaticly connects it to where you have bought it, if possible), First name, Last name and maybe your location. All info should be kept confidential and out of reach for anyone outside BI.

3. Efficient. Make it work, make it waterproof. A system that one day fails wouldn't be too fun for all the players.

So, summarize: Just make it easy, working and usefull. Like Ikea. Not beautiful, but it works.

tounge2.gif

(I voted yes)

Concidering the reason of this thread, could you elaborate as to why you voted no?

We are just looking for good games amongst us, with out silly kids joining our servers.

Most of the time Our Games are on a lan so we dont wanna be bothered to Register when sometimes the Lan games we have arent even connected to the net. Ala HL2 anyone required an actual Interenet Connection for a Lan so that ended up never getting played in our lans cause of that BS

On the fact yes each server itself should just block Invalid CD Keys I know lots of games that do this. As long as the server runner is legit and wont crack his Server then guess what no fake keys joining ur game.

One thing that erks me is OFP did not seem to have as much issues with cheaters so i dunno what they did wrong with Arma Multi

We also did a test the server does not check a file to make sure its the same size or etc it just checks the name of the addon we found out A we Added a extra Clip to the Vehicle in Question the user with the modified addon was able to have 1 extra clip but if another player without that got in the same vehicle before the modified player it would end up with the normal Amount. The server check needs to also validate File Size and ID not jsut name

I voted no, for multiple reasons:

1. What's the guarantee that this central BIS database will be running 2 years from now? I've seen countless sevices that promised long term service go down one way or another and the customers were left in the water.

2. Don't play online with unknown people.

3. Just like someone else said, I don't like to register for something I don't need.

4. There are enough other things to fix in Arma so doing this is a waste of time. Fix the game first.

i'm all for it! yes there are some negatives to be had but i think the positives are greater.

i wouldn't even mind having to come up with a unique name for arma (shouldn't be hard for me anyways ) biggrin_o.gif

yes thumbs-up.gif

If you decide to do something, make it

1. Simple. We don't want to read 500 pages long Terms of Use and fill out 900 options about our social life, our haircolor, the name of our cats and so forth.

2. No feel of insecurity. Maybe, ID (which automaticly connects it to where you have bought it, if possible), First name, Last name and maybe your location. All info should be kept confidential and out of reach for anyone outside BI.

3. Efficient. Make it work, make it waterproof. A system that one day fails wouldn't be too fun for all the players.

So, summarize: Just make it easy, working and usefull. Like Ikea. Not beautiful, but it works.

tounge2.gif

(I voted yes)

Who said anything about personal information? You'd create an account just like on the forums, you wouldn't have to input any personal information, just a username, password and cd key.

@volkov956: that's why it'd only be used when playing online. LAN games are still offline.

@xxbbcc:

1.Agreed. But then the login system can just be removed completely.

2. crazy_o.gif well if it's that simple, there wouldn't be a problem!

3. To each his own, in the end.

4. Yes and no. MP in this game is far too vunerable to be left alone. I do agree there are other issues that need fixing too, but that doesn't mean that you should leave Anti Cheating mesaures out.

im with u boss/rambo. voted yes of course, we ened all we can to cut down amount of noobs ruining games etc.

but im not clued up, so would it b like they register there key.... then if they get banned from like so many servers or a complaint is made to BIS about there id they r then banned from playing mulitplayer anymore? is that possible?

Well if BIS were running such a system and BIS banned your key for whatever reason/offence then yep your Multiplaying days with Arma would be over untill you bought a new copy with a new cd key I suupose.

Yes vote, and I think this work work very well alongside, or as an extended basis for, the passport system under development by jerryhopper?

I think a permanent ban extreme though, perhaps a month-ban might be more sensible.

And I still think that allow.txt would complement this.

Is there any possible way the community could make this tool? And then server operators connect to it to see who's registered on the system and only allow those people to connect??

To be 100% free of posible accusations of missuse, this would need to be done by BIS, not the community.

Concidering the reason of this thread, could you elaborate as to why you voted no?

We are just looking for good games amongst us, with out silly kids joining our servers.

Most of the time Our Games are on a lan so we dont wanna be bothered to Register when sometimes the Lan games we have arent even connected to the net. Ala HL2 anyone required an actual Interenet Connection for a Lan so that ended up never getting played in our lans cause of that BS

Ya only need to active it once, anyway i think LAN shouldn't require registering of cd-key only when you want to join servers.

Ya know I did something that was kinda like this before. It supports ip addresses / names / cdid's. In the end i made it so you had to log into the website first before the servers would even accept your request to join. Lame but it works.

Old post showing login system