Sign in to follow this  
FallenPaladin

Your favourite war movie

There are to many to list....and in different categories, different reasons.

The war movie I have seen the most times is probably "Red Dawn" though. CLosely followed by "Top Gun", "Hamburger Hill", "84 Charlie Mopic" and "Saving Private Ryan".

I am not sure which is best though. Probably none of the above, those are just real easy to watch again and again.

All the other ones are very good too, but Thin red line has something special, something even Saving private ryan is missing. Dono what it is realy, camera is genious, and ambient is very unique. Maybe it's a bit like LOTR, important is not what happend, but what it made to the protagonists.

mine platoon,

full metal jacket,

apocolypse now,

hamburger hill,

tour of duty ( not a film but should have been),

bridge over the river kwai (excuse the spelling),

3 come home(black and white about 3 trying to escape from germany),

the dambusters,

The Longest day,

Sink the Bismark,

most of the films portraying concentration camps ( just for a sense of what it must have been like for those poor people

saving private ryan ( them beach landings are awsome and gives a feel for what the poor sods had to go thru )

Pearl Harbour ( the special effects in bombing was fantastic)

and the list goes on

• Thanks 1

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WhoCares @ Feb. 22 2002,11:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I voted for TRL, but I can remember some more great war movies:

Die Bruecke (aka The Bridge) in the version of 1959

Das Boot (aka The Boat)

The Longest Day

The Bridge on river kwai

All quiet on the Western Front

to mention only a few...

Maybe someone finds his favorite in this list  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I know "Die Brücke", I`ve seen it in school. A few kids defending a stupid small bridge on the end of WW2.

Old but very good indeed!

Unfortunately we can only vote for 10 subjects at one time sad.gif

Anyone seen "Tuskagee Air Men" ?????

I think it's just a TV-movie but a good one..

Saw it last time I was in US.

Yeah i seen the Tuskagee airmen, cool film. I remember it so well because i was lieing belly down on my bed watching it when this huge uber spider crawled up the end of the bed and practically kissed me.

Anyway, Stalingrad has to be the daddy, im assuming the people that chose the thin red line havent seen Stalingrad, because it is a truly epic film and the characters are just so good.

Well, I'd have to say Talvisota (The Winter War) is the best war movie I have ever seen. Just because it has no flag waving or patriotic crap at all.

I also liked some russian war movies that i don't remember the names of. Das Boot and Staligrad were excellent. Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now were also good. Tour of Duty was a brilliant series (I loved the old private 'Pops' who had been promoted four times but allways soon busted back to private). Saving Private Ryan is nice if you fast forward all the U.S. flag waving.

I would go for:

Das Boot (excellent german war movie, with over-the-top acting by Jürgen Prochnuw (did I spell that right?))

Apocalypse Now (One of the greatest ever on the Vietnam War scenario)

Full Metal Jacket (Its just so surgical in its depiction of war horror)

Saving Private Ryan (Spielberg at his best. And I #### those oscars for not giving Tom Hanks a nod.)

The Thin Red Line (Its so different, and I especially liked Nick Nolte)

A Bridge Too Far (Its just a wonderful movie)

Eagles Nest (What can I say, Clints Eastwood is my Favorite)

Kellys Heroes (See the above.)

These are in random order, I would any of those any time. Although it is not a movie, I would say that Band Of Brothers is the greatest ever.

Apologise for my english, I´m danish so it is not my main language.

Naplam out

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (want2clock @ Feb. 22 2002,13:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Das Boot (excellent german war movie, with over-the-top acting by Jürgen Prochnuw (did I spell that right?))<span id='postcolor'>

It`s Jürgen Prochnow wink.gif

Apocalypse Now i think is the best.. that guy was really pissed at the start of the movie and actully cut himself when he smashed the mirror cos he was off his head lol...

and second i think Band Of Brothers... TV Serise

Guest Ti0n3r

Talvisota. It feels more 'real' than most other war movies I've seen throughout the years. If you haven't seen it yet, then do so ASAP. It's in Finnish, but it comes with English subtitles so no problemo.

My favourite is without a doubt We Were Soldiers...

Have it on DVD and simply can't stop seeing it from time to time.

Good effects, realistic and accurate enough while bringing a great emmersion to the audience.

But trust me, in the cinema it was even better (I want one at home tounge2.gif) wink_o.gif

Warriors. There are tons of good/great war films out there, but this BBC series is the best depiction of war and helplessness. Of course, it all depends on your definition of war film. If you expect fantastic firefights, shelling and heroics, then this doesn't fit the description.