Sign in to follow this  
dragonfire43560

Something i just dont get.

Ok this is a combat simulator but guess what. You can destroy an ABRAMS with 8 GRENADES and even with a 50 cal machine gun. Ummmm...there is no way even a million grenades can blow up an abrams. And wtf a 50 cal machine gun blowing it up?huh.gif? I even think that after a certian number of regular infantry bullets, it blows up. Now this doesnt just apply to the abrams, EVERY armored vehicle, from the BMP-2, to the T-72.

This is incredibly unrealistic and it needs fixing ASAP.

This is not only in ARMA but in OFP.I think that this cannot be fixed.Otherwise they would fixed it in ARMA.You can see this "problem" to many games like BF2 BF1942 etc.

Looking at the config section on Wiki I see it apparantly is still the same.

Brainstorming for a few secs I realize a scripter could whip up a "hit" eventhandler and reverse damage done by certain ammos

Yes it would be nice to have these armored beasts strong like they are in reality. However for the sake of "Balance" I doubt this will happen.

Yes it would be nice to have these armored beasts strong like they are in reality.  However for the sake of "Balance" I doubt this will happen.

Reality would not fit in a game like this.

Abrams would simply take their targets out upon spawning.

I reckon the tanks etc. would probably never be as strong as they are in reality but I'd say that balance is not really a consideration in this game. If this was done as a measure to balance the game, then why is there no opfor armour (t-80/90) to match the M1A1 along with a billion other examples like that with regard to weaponry?

I'd like to see something like a t-80 but just as a matter of opinion, I'm not that worried about absolute balance. If you play your cards right, you can overcome the odds as the technological underdog.

I do think though, that this damage system is FUBAR beyond belief! That's right. If you're stuck out in the field with a MBT in your midst and nothing to take it out with but small arms and hand grenades...then toughies...you're bang in trouble. The number of AT rounds to take out a tank is a different story - if in reality it takes 30 RPGs to knock out an M1A1 then sure it's understandable that the game may require only 2-3 (or whatever the case may be). The important thing here is that the weapons designed to do the job be what are required and the weapons that are inadequate do just as they would in real life - nothing.

It's just silly that the game contradicts the very reason tanks exist in the world - to completely overcome the threat of small arms/grenades etc.

At the risk of mentioning things that should probably be listed in a certain notorious thread on these boards, I'll say just one more thing here regarding vehicles: Fix the collision...center of gravity....whatever it is. Few things break the immersion more than seeing half the armour on the map upside down because they bumped into something along the way or took a sandune at too high a speed. The abilty to drive a BMP-2 from Arcadia to even Bagango is almost zero because of the likelihood that it'd be on its roof after 10 minutes.

there is no way even a million grenades can blow up an abrams.

If u put some 20-50 grenades inside the abrams cabine and blow em all in same time the pressure will rise so high that it will blow the tank up. We just can hope that there will soon come mods to arma like wgl/lib 41 in OFP there tank never got damage by some ammo type like HG or MG. And ArmA 2 must include fix.

If u put some 20-50 grenades inside the abrams cabine and blow em all in same time the pressure will rise so high that it will blow the tank up.

biggrin_o.gif

If you open the hatch and dump 5 tons of treacle in it you also get a tank rendered useless. Also maybe the AI gunner's inability to effectively target vehicles 50% of the time is an attmept to simulate a sneaky infantryman running up and jamming a rock down the barrel. tounge2.gif

If u put some 20-50 grenades inside the abrams cabine and blow em all in same time the pressure will rise so high that it will blow the tank up.

biggrin_o.gif

If you open the hatch and dump 5 tons of treacle in it you also get a tank rendered useless. Also maybe the AI gunner's inability to effectively target vehicles 50% of the time is an attmept to simulate a sneaky infantryman running up and jamming a rock down the barrel. tounge2.gif

Don't forget that Brave SLA Infantry will surely twist M1's cannonbarrel to U with crowbars

"1: 4, target that T-72"

"4: ready to fire"

"1: 4 fire!"

"4: Roger!"

*KA-BAM!*

"4: Status red!"

tounge2.gif

Thats nice - in real combat you don't have a chance to destroy an movin + shooting Abrams with grenades and machine guns....

But "place" an empty tank at firing range and throw many grenades at this and fire machine gun ... you will disable this tank - if you have time enough. On the other hand ArmA is a game and many things are not comparable with real life wink_o.gif

Yeah, I've got a solution for this that I guess shouldn't be too much of a hassle to implement in a patch. But that's just a guess.

Uhh! It's already in?

Holy moly, I'm an idiot for missing it.

That's the trick. ArmA engine has quite a lot of functionnalities.

Implemented not too well, bad numbers too often.

It's the same with bullet speeds, one need a ballistic mod (kudos Realistic Ballistics) to have realistic trajectories. Too bad BI didn't put the correct numbers right away. Because once the correct numbers are there, the result is very good.

Anyway, it's a "shoot-em-up" game, it's far from being a "combat simulator".

Have you lost your mind?! It's way for closer to a Combat Simulator then a Shoot-em-up, maybe not a complete simulator but it's still closer.

There we go:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Patch_v.1.08 ctrl+f and look for damageResistance.

You just want the values higher so grenades/high calibers who do alot of damage dont hurt the tanks anymore. smile_o.gif

No. That doesn't do what you think it does. It just sets the weakest weapon that the AI will use on a unit. For example it wont attempt to destroy a tank with a rifle, but will use an RPG.

It's just an AI setting.

There we go:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Patch_v.1.08 ctrl+f and look for damageResistance.

You just want the values higher so grenades/high calibers who do alot of damage dont hurt the tanks anymore. smile_o.gif

No. That doesn't do what you think it does. It just sets the weakest weapon that the AI will use on a unit. For example it wont attempt to destroy a tank with a rifle, but will use an RPG.

It's just an AI setting.

Aaah sorry, my mistake then. I knew it affected the weapon the AI would use but i thought that was because of the 'resistance'.

I'm no expert, but reason usually states if an object is destroyed after X amount of hits or X amount of damage, if you find what is calculating X and increase the value of X then you get a higher amount of X hits or X damage.

Of course, this might also 'up' the engine on the whole making all calculations employing X as their damage/hit counter effectively increasing all hit and damage, rendering my statement completely pointless.

Either way, it's worth looking into from BIS. wink_o.gif