Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

It's not that he has to, that's not his problem. It's just a figure of speech. It is annoying that computers outdate so quickly but BIS aren't the only culprits. Every 2 years there's another generation of computing technology so if ArmA2 comes out in 2009/2010 then you can't blame them any more than every other developer around.

If you don't want to spend thousands on a new PC to play a game, don't but if you do, don't expect it'll last you years smile_o.gif

If you buy a whole new super computer for one game you have more money than sense, unless that game cost you several thousand (wahetver currency you use) like VBS2 or something. I'm pretty sure you use your pc for more than just ArmA.

Right now I am just praying to God that this IS game 2 with all original features.

If it is Game 2 as we know it, it will have ODE physics - and not just that, but dynamically destructable buildings and vehicles as well.

If this isn't game 2 and is just a lazy attempt at a sequel, well, as I said earlier, I will neither buy it nor support BIS any longer.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but is it even possible for a game with a scope the size of Arma to have such physics with current hardware technology? I've seen Crysis demos and while impressive seems to be on a much smaller scale.

It should be possible in a singleplayer game at least. When we were told about the DD system, it was said it would be very scaleable. So if you bombed a whole city and your PC was struggling, some of the physics pbjects would be replaced by static objects to take stress off the system. Thats at least what the system was originally planned to be like, and the devs obviouslly thought it was possible to have a full DD system a couple eyars ago. We just have to wait and see....

in annnoucement i saw ARMA2 in year 2008, we have august 2007, so 2008 is in some months

Ah yes I assume it will be delayed like most games. If it is out 2008, little will be done graphically (hopefully) so you shouldn't have to have a total upgrade...perhaps just a bit of RAM or something. Still, I don't know, again it's an assumption. Remember, it might not even be good enough to buy wink_o.gif

i'm aware of at least 40 games to come in this and next year with dynamic or semi dynamic destruction of buildings and other objects...

from genres like FPS, RTS, RPG and air sims ...

leave it out and be sure Your product get marked by reviews as 3rd class budget

I recently viewed the trailer of operation flashpoint 2 over on www.gametrailers.com looks cgi to me it cant be ingame, however many people believe it is. Could another ocmpany really better bohemia at there own game. I have high expectations of arma2 i think everyone does.

Right now I am just praying to God that this IS game 2 with all original features.

If it is Game 2 as we know it, it will have ODE physics - and not just that, but dynamically destructable buildings and vehicles as well.

If this isn't game 2 and is just a lazy attempt at a sequel, well, as I said earlier, I will neither buy it nor support BIS any longer.

Yes, If it isnt Game 2 as we know it, this will sadly, may be the end of BIS.

I mean in my little world, you have my friends, all who bought ArmA, all who stopped playing ArmA and went back to OFP claiming they can wait with OFP untill Game 2 (ArmA 2) comes out.

I myself like that we now have compitition between two companys. So the race is on.

I only wish BIS would create a whole new engine... Anyways, I have 99% faith left in BIS, please dont kill me further...

Edit: And really, why some people are pissed, imho, is that they can see the potential, but its like trying to teach a special ed kid math or somthing...

Edit 2: And also, BIS needs to work on their PR, i mean, even Flight Simulator has better PR than that...

in annnoucement i saw ARMA2 in year 2008, we have august 2007, so 2008 is in some months

In an announcement a few years back they announced ArmA for 2004 (if not earlier), release date was Oct. 2006.

I wouldn't give too much about release dates, we all know 98% of them are just estimated dates (if ever). smile_o.gif

Moving this here as it has not much to do ArmA at all.

Just wondering if this ArmAII gonna be DX10 or not. I can't see this game competing with other games in 1-2 years if its not, anyone?

Where to begin... hmmm... I've been gone from the BI community for a couple of years now (due to real life issues). I have not bought ArmA yet (that's because I don't have the computer to run it).

I have not been following the gaming scene much for the last two years, but I'm getting into it again  smile_o.gif

Even after having read through this entire thread and the negative thread about ArmA, I still have no doubts about purchasing ArmA and the upcoming Queen's Gambit. OFP changed my life (within the context of gaming), and as soon as I get my new computer, ArmA is at the top of the list!

Anyway, I'm thrilled about finally hearing something about Game 2. So it's gonna be ArmA 2, so what?

What bothers me, is the community here.. what has happened since I were a regular on this forum? In this thread, there's so much hostility against BIS and ArmA. I mean, come on! The game has just been announced, all screenshots are most likely WIP, and we have no official feature list yet.

As I understand, BIS just released the tools for ArmA, and I seriously doubt they'll abandon ArmA completly just yet.

I get that some modmakers are concerned about wether to stick with ArmA or move on to ArmA2.

I say, let's give this a little time. Let's wait for more official word from BIS before wanting to drop a nuke on their offices.

Since I've been away from the whole BIS/OFP/ArmA community for so long, I don't know the full story yet, but things can't be so bad as some people are portraying it here?

Oh well, enough of my rantings... probably don't make much sense after all  wink_o.gif

Speaking for myself, I can't wait to get my hands on both ArmA and eventually ArmA 2  biggrin_o.gif

I'm gonna go back to reading threads now... I have a lot of catching-up to do, this was just my two cents for now.

Ah, well the community has been tested since ArmA's release, the 1.0 release was very buggy and it seemed that BIS hadn't learned from their mistakes in OFP, a lot of people felt they were beta testers when the Czech version was released in November last year.

Also the release was staggered, US residents only got their hands on the US version a few months ago, whereas other people were playing in November...

So for some, they've only just got their hands on the game, and now we've heard there is an 'expansion' out for ArmA and now we get an announcement of the sequel. I agree those moaning about the WIP pics are foolish, but you cant argue with people wondering why a 2008 release for a sequel has been announced, and if it will be the same 'advancement' as Res -> ArmA was then many people may be fairly upset if ArmA2 isnt very original and is just a slightly improved version of ArmA. Thats why a lot of people are critical of BIS at the moment, me also wink_o.gif But im really hoping that this new project has been well thought out, planned, and it will have much more originality and higher quality of production than ArmA did, especially in the departments of AI and graphical optimisation... wink_o.gif

EDIT: @ Trunkz im pretty sure it will be.. i doubt they'll produce it on an out of date Direct X version. Vista will probably have a lot more support and usage out by ArmA 2's release, i wouldnt expect ArmA 2 until 2009 personally.

They need to have a new engine. Its that simple... Sure it wont come out 2008 tho...

The current engine is old you can see the same problems over and over again...

I recently viewed the trailer of operation flashpoint 2 over on www.gametrailers.com looks cgi to me it cant be ingame, however many people believe it is. Could another ocmpany really better bohemia at there own game. I have high expectations of arma2 i think everyone does.

http://www.armabase.de/cms/content/images/OF2_aug22_news_online_shot_09.jpg

Same here, those tank treads look suspiciously CGI, why waste the polies ingame when you have the special textures?

For the 100th time: OFP2's Trailer was not CGI. It was a render, using in-game models. Basically the animations, smoke, effects, voices, AI behaviors were not from OFP2. As they are in the early stages of the game and don't have a functioning system. The tanks, characters, helicopters, are the actual models you will see in-game. But they said they are very confident they can reach if not surpass that quality bar. The video basically was the actual in-game model skeleton of the game and the added 'fake' effects were the skin. At least ArmA2 has competition. Perhaps they wont release a pre-Alpha and call it 1.0 and push it out of the door. Perhaps we'll have a OFP/ArmA game war. Sounds great!

Also for the DX10 questionairs: When ArmA2 does come out (2-3 years I say).. Almost everything will probably be DX10. It'll seem like a primitive game if it don't.

They need to have a new engine. Its that simple... Sure it wont come out 2008 tho...

The current engine is old you can see the same problems over and over again...

Agreed Sniper Pilot, but afaik BIS cant afford to create a whole new engine, they only use one engine and they constantly upgrade and modify it :\

I personally think its neccessary for a brand new one also though sad_o.gif Its just not capable enough for modern technology and graphical effects etc. sad_o.gif

Perhaps QG and ArmA were just pawns to get the money to create a whole new engine. smile_o.gif

Then again, a whole new engine wouldn't show ArmA in it at all.. as it would be very difficult to "copy/paste" units/building from one engine to another and might as well start from scratch.

It's sad that we have to see companys fight over graphics. Graphics don't make the game last 5-6 years and provide 1000s of hours of replayability. It's the gameplay, the mission editor, the multiplayer. If OFP could have a reworked net-code, 3x the bigger islands, smarter AI, tweaked weapons/vehicles function for realism. I'd play that rather than ArmA. I'd rather resources be spent on that than the eye candy that WILL wear off sooner or later.

You may agree BF2 had a whole new engine to BF1942, right? Wrong! BF2 engine was an advancement of the BF1942 engine. Every engine is based on other engines. Source was based on Quake3 engine, Q3 engine was based on Q2...etc. So At this stage ArmA2 is bound to look like ArmA smile_o.gif It shouldn't later on, though.

@Those crying out for a "new engine":

How many of you understand the development process involved when coding something like a game engine?

Whilst ArmA may have shown many flaws, it is also easy to see just why those flaws remained - rushed development and a constantly changing development team (aside from the "core" team).

i feel like we all are just a bunch of paying beta testers for bis while they rake in the cash and dont care about what their customers want

i feel like we all are just a bunch of paying beta testers for bis while they rake in the cash and dont care about what their customers want

I never used to think that. With OFP and the huge following in loyal fans, I even defended BIS on many forums. They were my home team. But I can't hide the fact that I'm rooting for them. I love ArmA... I love OFP... so why think ArmA2 will suck? heh.. If they crank out patches for ArmA1, I'll be happy. If they can make this game more playable, I"ll be happy as I'm sure most of us will.

If you think about too though, "Game2" has been on the forums for a LONG time. Armed Assault 1 was never "game2".. so ArmA2 taking the name "Game2" must mean something big. If ArmA1 wasn't a category of its own for years... ArmA2 might be what BIS has been working toward for a long time running. As beta testers, (I feel we can be called that now), we be assured another good game... But if I could only ask one thing, is to have BIS put the brakes on and fix whats wrong with ArmA.

"If it an't broke don't fix it.. " ArmA's not (completely) broke, and its fixable. Don't start over with something else... Or at least work on ArmA 1.96 smile_o.gif

OFP wasn't broke, it was grrreat! But they had to start over because they partnered with Codemasters and thus could not copy/paste everything over from that and make it better in ArmA. Once the bugs are fixed, in ArmA. I think they will have less things to worry about if they borrow these ideals for ArmA2.

Side note: Wasn't there an official mod being worked on to create Malden/Everon/Kogujev? What ever happened to it?

Interesting, improved AI in urban fighting, only one ran out according to the review. I wouldn't take this info too much to heart though because I could easily have translated it wrong.

Supposedly view distance was cranked up to 15km, heres an image and the text translated via babbelfish

"the campaign plays in an Eastern European Setting. "bake ton the roots" - the island is to be very much detail-fallen in love. The forests appear vegetativy very varied. - in the demonstration the range of vision was 15km."

http://armed-assault.de/screenshots/4_0_4405.jpg

http://armed-assault.de/screenshots/5_0_4406.jpg I'm kinda confused if I'm looking at a computer image or reality here to be honest, but thats a good thing.

Test was run on a computer with core2duo, 3gb of ram and a Geforce 8 (8800?) Atleast thats what I'm getting from the translation.

"the island is to become approx. twice as large like Sahrani - the light traces were taken over from VBS2"

Another thing that came to mind while previewing the earlier images was the smoke stack with the far traced shadow. OFP and supposedly Arma had a nasty problem of gemoetry going to so far, but that object undoubtedly surpasses that limit.

Its all rather interesting, and thank you for posting it adamicz.

Infact now that I think about the images they could possibly be old, Arma had alot of controversy in its development, images causing problems due to lighting because when they were released, they were a few months old.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9618

So don't get too judgemental over the first ones.

Post edited, I don't feel like getting into a worthless fight again just yet.