Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

A comment about the cost of any game. It is the money you pay for it plus the time you spend or waste on it, and, in some cases, plus the money you pay for a new computer to spend or waste time playing it. The only game that cost you 20 Eur is the game you buy for 20 Eur, you install, runs smoothly and error free, and it is fun enough for you to do not consider a waste the time you spend on it.

I personally hope this thread is NOT closed despite a lot of negative criticism and speculation. Its a community forum, so let the community discuss future projects and suggest ideas...

As for the storyline, i hope its something fresh, personally i'd like a different 'good guy' side than the US for once... British please? wink_o.gif But it wont change now, hopefully the OPFOR will be something new, i dont mind if we have the good old russians returning so long as we get a new 'Resistance' side with a bit more effort put into it than the RACS in ArmA.

I'd also like something like a Red Hammer expansion to the campaign, so we can play as the 'good guys' and the 'bad guys' ...

We need a good mix of old OFP and brand new ideas to keep it fresh. We definately need a performance and AI overhaul and make the interface less 'clunky' (the only way i can really describe the animations + character movement etc)..

My two pence wink_o.gif

EDIT: I agree with Mandoble's point also, personally i wouldnt mind paying 40-50 quid for the game if it means i dont have to fork out because of poor optimisation wink_o.gif

I'm going to copy and paste what I'm putting on every friggin site I find in regards to arma 2..

and this is what I'm going to say on every one of them:

This is weakness at it's worst..  sorry way to rip off consumers.. we just got the us release of arma 1 not even a year ago.. like 6 months at most.. the game runs like crap.. like str8 crap, they haven't fixed it yet still even with their 1 gigabyte "update" and now their making another game? how about you fix the game we all paid good money for? weak.. pathetic..

ill wipe my backside with arma 2.. i bet it will run just as crappy as arma 1 anyway..

CTD's on a daily basis.. and it's not just one type of CTD, theres like 3 or 4 different types with different or no errors.. this is just a crappy thing to do..

I'd kick all the makers in the nutz if I saw them for letting me buy ARMA "the crap edition" then making the fixed game and calling it arma 2 and reselling it.. yea based in 2009... makes it just easy enough to lie about the scenery and use the same graphics engine.. weakness...

and don't tell me it's my system.. IM running 2 8800's in sli on a 3.2 ghz dual core processor with top of the line components..

the game runs like crap....still...even at low and normal settings..

Someone needs to start slapping law suits I think.. everytime I turn around, a new computer company or game company is ripping me off.. nvidia, microsoft, now BI..

I think I'm going back to gaming counsels..

News flash... Game2/ArmA2 has been in development for YEARS before ArmA was even a thought. The Game2 part of the official BIS website has even had it listed for an 08 release for a long time now. So it should supprise noone they have been working on it, and it might be out next year. And whos to say that ArmA is not going to still recieve fixes? There have, and will continue to be two diffrent teams working on ArmA and ArmA2. Try not to post with such ignorance in the future...

However your talk about the "corprate world" is just plain hilarious.... useing words like "str8 and nutz" just makes you look like a pissed off little kid, and will get you laughed at in the "Corprate world". And in the real world here... you can't sue a video game company becuase the game dosn't run well on your PC. Hell I haven't had ArmA crash in months... so it must just be tought luck on your part. Try and take that one to court... the jude would laugh at you.

If your unhappy with ArmA, either sell it, try to return it, or just put it aside till your problem is fixed. Even post bad reviews as a way to get back at the developers... but do it in a civilized, mature mannor. Not like a child...

Why do people just suddenly assume that ArmA is going to be ignored now? Didn't it occure to you that MAYBE the team working on QG will revert to supporting and patching ArmA AFTER it's finished and shipped? BIS have had "Game 2" (now ArmA 2) in development for longer then ArmA as far as I remember. They've said themselves they've had a seperate team on it and ArmA 1 and only generally merge those teams when a deadline is close or they need the extra man power.

ArmA was never toted as the "true sequal to OFP". My game case says "A New game from the creators of Operation Flashpoint" not "The Sequel to Operation Flashpoint".

BIS have slated ArmA as a gap filler several times, and just think, most game developers don't support their games even for a year. After QG I'm quite certain we'll see a new patch a month maybe two after it's shipped as they have the resources to put back into it.

Also another thing I've found quite funny is how people go on about "it's the features not the graphics I care about" then slag the screenshots off because they "look too much like ArmA". Of course they do, it's the same engine just modified, as BIS have stated it's an ongoing engine continually being improved and built upon. Also there's the case of using ArmA models and what not as stand ins whilst they can create newer ones closer to release. It's a very common thing to do for developers. They'll use lower quality (or sometimes much higher detaield but very unoptimised) content before they get to release build then change them to something that's more unified and optimised aswell as balanced.

Anyway rant over. We have the tools people were whining for, we'll soon have an expansion pack which will give it some more exposure, extra content and more funds to help them continue development of their projects, then I'm sure they'll get back to working on new fixes and tweaks. Also just think. If they changed things whilst making the expansion pack with the engine they'd then have to possibly go back and change things to work in line with those changes. I'm certain that the ArmA campaign will have worked fine at some point but they made some last min changes and didnt have the time to retest and tweak it. They'll be putting the time and effort into the missions and campaign for QG rather than working on engine coding, which will (in theory) mean a better single player experience.

I hope this time around...ArmA2 and QC doesn't take 6-8 months to reach the US after it's release.

There is no way I will go through the Sprocket dilema's again.

I'm looking forward to the new expansion/s and Arma2.

(or can't run smoothly).

i like ArmA even though i cannot even run it. I have an original copy , i am a 5 year fan of OFP , i love to discuss ArmA related things amd i am tired of all the whining so why should i leave?

I'm going to copy and paste what I'm putting on every friggin site I find in regards to arma 2..

This is weakness at it's worst.. sorry way to rip off consumers.. we just got the us release of arma 1 not even a year ago.. like 6 months at most.. the game runs like crap.. like str8 crap, they haven't fixed it yet still even with their 1 gigabyte "update" and now their making another game? how about you fix the game we all paid good money for? weak.. pathetic..

ill wipe my backside with arma 2.. i bet it will run just as crappy as arma 1 anyway..

CTD's on a daily basis.. and it's not just one type of CTD, theres like 3 or 4 different types with different or no errors.. this is just a crappy thing to do..

I'd kick all the makers in the nutz if I saw them for letting me buy ARMA "the crap edition" then making the fixed game and calling it arma 2 and reselling it.. yea based in 2009... makes it just easy enough to lie about the scenery and use the same graphics engine.. weakness...

and don't tell me it's my system.. IM running 2 8800's in sli on a 3.2 ghz dual core processor with top of the line components..

Someone needs to start slapping law suits I think.. everytime I turn around, a new computer company or game company is ripping me off.. nvidia, microsoft, now BI..

News flash... Game2/ArmA2 has been in development for YEARS before ArmA was even a thought. The Game2 part of the official BIS website has even had it listed for an 08 release for a long time now. So it should supprise noone they have been working on it, and it might be out next year. And whos to say that ArmA is not going to still recieve fixes? There have, and will continue to be two diffrent teams working on ArmA and ArmA2. Try not to post with such ignorance in the future...

However your talk about the "corprate world" is just plain hilarious.... useing words like "str8 and nutz" just makes you look like a pissed off little kid, and will get you laughed at in the "Corprate world". And in the real world here... you can't sue a video game company becuase the game dosn't run well on your PC. Hell I haven't had ArmA crash in months... so it must just be tought luck on your part. Try and take that one to court... the jude would laugh at you.

If your unhappy with ArmA, either sell it, try to return it, or just put it aside till your problem is fixed. Even post bad reviews as a way to get back at the developers... but do it in a civilized, mature mannor. Not like a child...

oh god..lol.. another hypocrite for the "dont whine" topic.. you do realize you are in fact whining right? your whining about my whining, but at least I can admit I'm whining.. you don't know squat about the corporate world kiddo.. I live in it.. the list gets longer for fools in forums.. one more added.. how old are you again? 12-13? lol..

the nutz kick was a joke.. apparently above your head which doesn't surprise me, seeing as most things likely are..

by the way, the day ARMA forums becomes "the real world" to you, is the day you need a shrink.. so you might want to look into that..

This is weakness at it's worst.. sorry way to rip off consumers.. we just got the us release of arma 1 not even a year ago.. like 6 months at most.. the game runs like crap.. like str8 crap, they haven't fixed it yet still even with their 1 gigabyte "update" and now their making another game? how about you fix the game we all paid good money for? weak.. pathetic..

oh god..lol.. another hypocrite for the "dont whine" topic.. you do realize you are in fact whining right? your whining about my whining, but at least I can admit I'm whining.. you don't know squat about the corporate world kiddo.. I live in it.. the list gets longer for fools in forums.. one more added.. how old are you again? 12-13? lol..

the nutz kick was a joke.. apparently above your head which doesn't surprise me, seeing as most things likely are..

by the way, the day ARMA forums becomes "the real world" to you, is the day you need a shrink.. so you might want to look into that..

Oh, another "I know better than thou" type smile_o.gif

I've zero problem running ArmA, everything fine bare some performance issues that are far from game-breaking.

Now you can spout your "crap" elsewhere, thank you.

Oh, another "I know better than thou" type smile_o.gif

I've zero problem running ArmA, everything fine bare some performance issues that are far from game-breaking.

Now you can spout your "crap" elsewhere, thank you.

how about you stop talking to me.. I made my post, thats the way I feel, you don't like it.. sue me.. but stop talking to me...

this thread is about arma 2.. not hey lets bash eachother, but theres always someone who has to start the personal attacks like standard children.. you just needed to get hit more growing up i think...

talk about arma dude.. don't talk to me.. I don't like you, I don't know you and I don't want to know you...

get your 15 minutes of fame somewhere else. try american idol..

D007

48h vacation from this forums for flaming, if you can't take criticism you shouldn't have posted here at all.

Take your personal issues to PM if you need to.

@The Rest

we can go now back on topic, can we? wink_o.gif

At the very least a true follow up needs to have some sort of havoc physics in there. Along with directx10 support and better driving physics. Add that to arma1 and it would be a great game. Add it to a vastly improved arma2 and it will be awsome.

At the very least a true follow up needs to have some sort of havoc physics in there.

There is more to physics than Havok... whistle.gif

At the very least a true follow up needs to have some sort of havoc physics in there.

There is more to physics than Havok... whistle.gif

Werent there early thingies stating that Game2 would use ODE? (Link, press ctrl+f and search for ODE)

Hmm, who else is with me that we need a totally different setting, it seems that BIS devs are obsessed with cold wars and communism, If you're going to have a US vs Russia why not have Russia invade the US?

Would be better to see other units aswell as US and Russia, what about China, Iran, United Kingdom, Canada, Korea, Israel e.t.c?

We need more urban/desert environments, a setting like Iraq or Iran perhaps, but thinking about it some of BIS are properly too OTT politically correct to even consider it, which is a shame as the places in the world where it would be sold don't censor as much as where they come from e.g. Germany...

Um, doesn't it have to be an island....?

Right now I am just praying to God that this IS game 2 with all original features.

If it is Game 2 as we know it, it will have ODE physics - and not just that, but dynamically destructable buildings and vehicles as well.

If this isn't game 2 and is just a lazy attempt at a sequel, well, as I said earlier, I will neither buy it nor support BIS any longer.

This is weakness at it's worst..  sorry way to rip off consumers.. we just got the us release of arma 1 not even a year ago.. like 6 months at most.. the game runs like crap.. like str8 crap, they haven't fixed it yet still even with their 1 gigabyte "update" and now their making another game? how about you fix the game we all paid good money for? weak.. pathetic..

I really don't know what you're talking about?

ArmA 1.08+ is one if the most fluent and stable games I have in my harddisk and I'am far from beeing a BIS fanboy.

My main complaint in ArmA is just that it has boring and unimmersive missions and campaign.

I hope that QG will change this, and I would like an buy a SLA campaign addon too.

And don't forget how long it took from the first ArmA announcement to release.

I dont see a playable build of ArmA II until 2009.

Initial release dates do not count anymore... who the hell buys betas?  I always wait for the third patch...and buy at budged price.

I never got disappointed with games anymore since I do so.+

Just for example: my next buy will be silent hunter 4...they just released V.1.3 and it went budget with the patch.

Right now I am just praying to God that this IS game 2 with all original features.

If it is Game 2 as we know it, it will have ODE physics - and not just that, but dynamically destructable buildings and vehicles as well.

If this isn't game 2 and is just a lazy attempt at a sequel, well, as I said earlier, I will neither buy it nor support BIS any longer.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but is it even possible for a game with a scope the size of Arma to have such physics with current hardware technology? I've seen Crysis demos and while impressive seems to be on a much smaller scale.

Where to begin... hmmm... I've been gone from the BI community for a couple of years now (due to real life issues). I have not bought ArmA yet (that's because I don't have the computer to run it).

I have not been following the gaming scene much for the last two years, but I'm getting into it again smile_o.gif

Even after having read through this entire thread and the negative thread about ArmA, I still have no doubts about purchasing ArmA and the upcoming Queen's Gambit. OFP changed my life (within the context of gaming), and as soon as I get my new computer, ArmA is at the top of the list!

Anyway, I'm thrilled about finally hearing something about Game 2. So it's gonna be ArmA 2, so what?

What bothers me, is the community here.. what has happened since I were a regular on this forum? In this thread, there's so much hostility against BIS and ArmA. I mean, come on! The game has just been announced, all screenshots are most likely WIP, and we have no official feature list yet.

As I understand, BIS just released the tools for ArmA, and I seriously doubt they'll abandon ArmA completly just yet.

I get that some modmakers are concerned about wether to stick with ArmA or move on to ArmA2.

I say, let's give this a little time. Let's wait for more official word from BIS before wanting to drop a nuke on their offices.

Since I've been away from the whole BIS/OFP/ArmA community for so long, I don't know the full story yet, but things can't be so bad as some people are portraying it here?

Oh well, enough of my rantings... probably don't make much sense after all wink_o.gif

Speaking for myself, I can't wait to get my hands on both ArmA and eventually ArmA 2 biggrin_o.gif

I'm gonna go back to reading threads now... I have a lot of catching-up to do, this was just my two cents for now.

i saw those screens of A2, shame , it would be good if ARMA was in this "world" instead of banana-republic Sahrani

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but is it even possible for a game with a scope the size of Arma to have such physics with current hardware technology? I've seen Crysis demos and while impressive seems to be on a much smaller scale.

I can tell you this: the beta of "World in Conflict" had detailed physics, dynamically deformable/destructable terrain, dynamic fires and burning, destructable buildings, and more while 16 players all controlled dozens of units at a time each with physics etc being applied to them - in other words, a lot going on - and that game did not lag for me at all in medium settings.

With clever programming, proper use of LODs (not just visually, but I.E. only "simulating" action outside the player's radius) I'm sure game 2 could afford to have a building or vehicle dynamically collapse here and there.

also i would like to know how strong PC will be necessary, i bought PC for ARMA, i cannot imagine that in few months i have to buyanother, while i am still paying credit for this one :/

also i would like to know how strong PC will be necessary, i bought PC for ARMA, i cannot imagine that in few months i have to buyanother, while i am still paying credit for this one :/

Oh. come on, no one forces you to do that...whats wrong with playing the older games on mid range pcs...OFP was good from summer 2001 to spring 2004.

call me a budget guy...I play budget games on budget PCs...I do this since the year 2000 because I got sick and "broke" of the tech arms race in the PC and gaming industrie.