Sign in to follow this  
Cedaie

Australia 102x102

I dont think that a project like that will take some years to be completed. All depend on the new abilities of visitor 3. Just see how the task can be automated in the virtual tool kit for VBS2: Virtual tool kit Press release

I just hope that we will see all those interesting functionalities in the free tools.

pretty impressive... I guess if it is just for flying planes and helos it is something that you and i may see one day. If it is actually for ground units, imo this map will never see the light of day as a fully complete working island. Not saying it cant be done. Im sure its easy to randomly place stuff, probally a nightmare to correct them. And testing with bug reports on such a massive island is counter productive. try and imagine

bug report 003456 Building not placed correctly located at ? coordinates...

where do you even begin to lay down roads correctly so the ai can use the island.

Im hoping this will be released for game2 or game3.

The PMC islands are actually much bigger than this island. but they were clever and randomly placed stuff everywhere so it fit a generic function to have stuff to see... The buildings however were not all looking correctly together...

Will there be kangaroos?

They are bigger only because they are not proper islands, just square blocks of land.

This map will be designed with ground combat in mind. Towns will be detailed and running smooth.

Please keep in mind the actual idea and use for this map is extremely different to other maps. The idea this map is involved for is it's feeling of massive size. As a mere soldier you will NEED to have airlifts to get anywhere, this map will bring the feeling of a somewhat agoraphobia, where you're miles from anywhere, support is 20 minutes away and you gotta hold your own until then. Or those moments flying over landmass with no ocean in sight, deserted desolate moments looking down from the chopper, seeing small towns and more desert fly by. This is why I want to make this map. Get us a bit closer to realism.

Just ask yourself, how does the army get around?

Winching Vehicles

C130 troop carriers

Quote[/b] ]Will there be kangaroos?

Sure will be, I'd love to make them run in the opposite direction of approaching choppers & vehicles. or the occasional roadkill huh.gif

sounds good... I think a 15 minute chooper ride would make the landing all more special....

ETA? for the island?

can't give you that yet frogstar, still a whole lot of realistic considering to do, then form a dev team. maybe then I can give you an ETA. I'm merely letting you know whats in the works

I have 3D dem data for all of Victoria and possibly NSW in pretty high resolution, far higher then what you need in game. I'll see if I can dig the link up as I originally got it from a NASA FTP some years ago which had all of Australia.

Life-size Iraq map, anyone? wow_o.gif

agreed...

Best of luck with your aussie map.

I have a question though. Do you still need WRPedit and the Wilbur and other gay map tools from OFP to currently make the maps. Also how are new maps comming out without a depbo unless their is one or the old one from OFP still work?

They don't talk about much in the Island Editing so I am just curious cause I may get back into map making cough cough Al Kafji and Kuwait cough cough Desert Storm 91 smile_o.gif

I'll be using the new Visitor tool when it's released. Wilbur is too unstable for maps of this size.

Kegetys' Tools has a PBO extractor for you.

I have 3D dem data for all of Victoria and possibly NSW in pretty high resolution, far higher then what you need in game. I'll see if I can dig the link up as I originally got it from a NASA FTP some years ago which had all of Australia.

Much Appreciated if you can get me a DEM file I can work with :P

Any Brit going to make the whole of the UK?

Nah didn't think so whistle.gif

Good luck with the project, i'm sure getting it detailed is just as important as getting it big, so you will probably be a long time. What's the scale of real australia to this?

if i may ask:

what happens when i get to the top right of the island, when i say top right could be right, left, top, bottom.

My question is: will we have a abism or there will be only desert?

I think the problem with these big map is exactly this, they are limited somehow.. thats why there are islands instead. To have a start and a end.

edit: another thing, i like your idea alot, i just fear LAG :\

Hmm, somebody could create realisticly sized Falklands in this case. But it'd take him a long time to perfect it, heh.

Perhaps a scaled down version?

Hmm, somebody could create realisticly sized Falklands in this case. But it'd take him a long time to perfect it, heh.

Perhaps a scaled down version?

He Man, the objective is to make them big smile_o.gif

i like the ideas behind this project! I wish best of luck, even though i fear the lag if you dont get it well optimized. But hey who knows what the future holds in store with Visitor 3 and stuff smile_o.gif

anyways wasn't the japanese in ww 2 wanted australia?

Will be totally awesome for cti or evo or all kinds of other wast transport missions tounge2.gif

The map author has already said it takes 5 minutes to load the island. Its 30- 50 seconds for Sahrani for me. Plus thats before much other work is done on the island.

Still, it prooves that it can be done. Good luck wink_o.gif

The Progressive loading in Arma is superb, it makes way for such projects as this.

Australia will be as-close-to the real thing as possible. Northern Territory will have the vast expansive red desert, while to the east will be lush wildlife, Urban feelings of grandeur.

If anyone has seen the latest GTA coming, they portray New York (called Liberty City) very well and gives that very dense, urban feel. That is what I want.

It's a real push to test the extremes of the ARMA Engine, but if the popularity increases for bigger and bigger maps, so will the demand for more stability from the engine. (Looking your way Bohemia)

I've always dreamed of OFP/ARMA at a larger scale, sure the original islands are overwhelming to begin with, but it should excel in this area, beyond belief, beyond expectation. No other game offers the sizes I'm thinking about and I think BIS should take advantage of that, adding support for 200 km x 200km PLUS islands. I believe if we can achieve maps of this size we will lose the ever slight but present arcade feeling to Arma and inject a new immersive play.

Everyone just needs to buy more memory sticks is all :P

WWIIOL provides a map far bigger and it works just fine.

This'll be great for ARMA, just need to find other players patient enough to have a decent game with.

Awesome stuff, it would be awesome if this gets complete.

Now all we need is some hypothetical Asian coalition units (like say the Indo's and Chinese got together) and an Invasion Australia add on.

The map author has already said it takes 5 minutes to load the island. Its 30- 50 seconds for Sahrani for me. Plus thats before much other work is done on the island.

Still, it prooves that it can be done. Good luck wink_o.gif

As Jason said, IT CAN BE DONE but the problem with big or very big island/maps are the time the game needs to load it in first hand.

We had an example in those big afgan demo islands made for ArmA. The biggest took me 4 mins or more to load, and im sure not every one wants to wait 4 mins before playing to load a map.

If only "the engine" had a way to reduce or skip it somehow.

We were already explained why we need to load map before.

Yes alot of Us want big very big islands with no LAG smile_o.gif

very nice to see others working on new larger islands gj.

keep up the good work,i know its a long project to complete such large islands with such a small number of people.

me and a couple of mates are also working on a new custom built island based on real terrain data from iraq,a lrg real life island.

main island is about 90km end too end and is roughly 4x the size of sahrani,it also has 3 smaller islands that are about 8km each,

a good amount of ocean so the ships/subs ect currently being made can be used.

The scale of these new islands is going to blow people away!

on our island it takes a good 10mins to go end too end in the the harrier at full speed crazy_o.gif

Expect an offical announcement very soon,we just wanted to perfect the terrian and get it the way we wanted it before making any anouncements.

although the island is ingame and working we are also just waiting for visitor3 to be released to complete it.

sorry for the slight thread hijack wink_o.gif

BiGGiBs