Sign in to follow this  
Cedaie

Australia 102x102

@BiGGiBs - how many time you use to load the map? 6mins at least no?

the loading map part is also important, i think. There needs to be a balance between them

very fast atm as it is empty terrain 1 min at most

just tested and it loaded into the mp editor in 30 seconds

BiGGiBs

mine is roughly 2 minutes for loading time

running on a 3500+ 2048 ddr3

i'm running a 64 bit 3.7 with 2048 ddr3

our island is a 2048 but i'd say only 1/2 is land.

you island does seem to have more land mass than ours,the difference in terrain source i.e. the quality of the dem's

we are both using will vary.

we struggled get the high quality dem we wanted as dem's of the area we are working are restricted to low detail by gov/millitary since 911 and the 'war on terror' banghead.gif

so we did alot of work with other sources!

also seeing as our the terrain isn't very steep,highest point being maybe 300m,so i guess the vertical height that could be a reason for the longer loading times too!

BiGGiBs

Well I originally downloaded the Dem's from here but that directory is gone sad_o.gifftp://e0mss21u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/

This folder has a lot of other stuff which I haven't checked to much ftp://e0mss21u.ecs.nasa.gov/

I checked my files and only have Victoria in zip files which is 68MB and it's the original data without image errors corrected that show up white in some lakes and around parts of the coast which is easy to fix.

Here's a low res height map I exported with global mapper showing Melbourne and the surrounding mountains, you can see the white image errors

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/aus_twisted1/pics/Vic.jpg

Hope its all going well for ya Cedaie. Can't wait to try to drive from Cairns to Darwin the long way smile_o.gif (For those of you who don't know: It's " National Highway 1" that goes around the coast of Australia from Cairns to Darwin. Would make for a good holiday! ) But got an idea for a scenario, just reading bout the amount of empty space, you could do like a "Wolf Creek" scenario. Hunt down 3 civies or try to evade the sniper without a gun. But don't know if you could do a cut scene where you could do the 'ol "Head on a stick" routine. crazy_o.gif

We had an example in those big afgan demo islands made for ArmA. The biggest took me 4 mins or more to load, and im sure not every one wants to wait 4 mins before playing to load a map.

They only took so long to load because they were made with old OFP tools and used the old OFP format. Because of that they don't use streaming and your PC loads the whole thing at once.

Of course because it has hardly any detail your PC can handle it.

If it was done with the new tools, it should load much faster.

We had an example in those big afgan demo islands made for ArmA. The biggest took me 4 mins or more to load, and im sure not every one wants to wait 4 mins before playing to load a map.

They only took so long to load because they were made with old OFP tools and used the old OFP format. Because of that they don't use streaming and your PC loads the whole thing at once.

Of course because it has hardly any detail your PC can handle it.

If it was done with the new tools, it should load much faster.

would be nice then to have a updated version with the new tools.

Are the creators available to do it for the community?

Would be much appreciated.

can't wait to see this map completed - i'd love to make some 'tomorrow, when the war began' style missions!

so how is the team progressing on this?

Is this topic still active? Cedaie? Still working on your Australia?

if he is.. hes will for a couple of years smile_o.gif

Good luck with this insane project wink_o.gif

I sure hope they are still at work with this one...

The RKSL addonsuite would be exelent for these

types of LARGE islands...

AirDef systems..

Cargo Systems..

BIG cargo planes..

An Evo mission on Australia would be PURE EXELENCE...

We would see the REAL need for transportation, Repair

Units/Squads, Mandos Missilie and FireSupport scripts

and on and on...

So i hope, please please, that you are still working on it.

notworthy.gif

I hope so too,but Cedaie hasn't been active on here since March huh.gif

Yeah but i think its too much work for such a big island like that. Maybe minimize it because the towns are towns are also friggin big etc. ya know? sad_o.gif

EDIT: Old thread my bad.

Anyway, OT:

This map would be awesome, however it would appear he may lost hope in it. I might be getting to work on a largish map soon, not 100km x 100km, maybe more of the such of 50 x 50, and perhaps only of one "state". It would be similiar in theme to my old RVR_campaspe map, Australian that is.

I have DEMs already, and I just might get to work on it for all times sake, the biggest problem for me is finding suitable satellite maps that aren't blurs on the ground (or have black spots).

Anyway, Id still like to see this project going forward, but alas, like many, it may have fallen apart. sad_o.gif

After the Release of 3DE, Groups of "BOB the Builder" can try to fill up this baby with live.

If it is not a high secure project ;-)

Only sad_o.gif a textured island is needed ... no streets or such else

We should join up and create a fictional

island that big...

Start from scratch...

Like BohemiaLand or something..

I dont know much about anything else but playing the game

but i have so many intense ideas...

The is one project going ahead - wether this is or isn't an evolved version of the island that Cedaie started i'm not 100% sure... i think gnat or someone else on the mod team working on this project can clear it up.

this looks like an ideal candidate for Silolas new map editing system. From what I understand you can have multiple working on the map at the same time like a multiplayer session.

Hi All

Just to clarify, the link in the posts above to the OGN Australia is not related in any way to Cedaie's Australia.

Too make a 100km x 100Km map with any type of Detail is not really achievable purely because of the physical sizes of the satelite .png that is needed. The OGN Australia Island is 40 Km x 40Km and yes hopefully it will feature the westgate, it already has the Sydney Harbour Bridge smile_o.gif

On another note, there is currently the facility in V3 to enable several ppl to work on the map at the same time. We currently have 7 members working on different parts of the island, the Hardest part is coordinating all of the them smile_o.gif

The is one project going ahead - wether this is or isn't an evolved version of the island that Cedaie started i'm not 100% sure... i think gnat or someone else on the mod team working on this project can clear it up.

That is damn impressive, whens it gonna be finished? I would have asked this question on their forums but I am at work and cant register...

Hmmm...Isnt it possible to link satelite.png´s...??

Like 10x10Km and link them to a square in result

100x100..LOL i have no idea what im talking about...

Forgive me if im being absurd here....