Sign in to follow this  
Cedaie

Australia 102x102

I'm sure there are ways to merge png images, but the final pbo size would be impractical. I have an Afghan map which is 40 km sq. and the pbo size was 1.4 GB if I recall correctly... source imagery was 4,45 GB.

Imagine a what a 100 km sq. map would be? Even worse, how much source data you'd need to process. crazy_o.gif

We are using a .png merge method to test and evaluate textures. Small sections of the mask and Sat are made then merged into the master copy. From our tests a 40Kmx40Km island is the largest you can go and maintain playabilty and at the same time have a reasonable load time in game. You could make a larger island but you would need to sacrifice quality in order to achieve a playable island.

Hmmmm.Thats baaad...

I just played some LoMac and the map in there is a dream.

That would be nice to have in ArmA. I have about 85-110fps

when flying th A10 at low altitude. I know the objects isnt

compareble in these games...But it sure be nice to have

a map that big...

This is primarily an infantry sim... don't forget that. And infantry needs to have a rich and realistic environment.

A quick pic of WIP, this will show you the size of the OGN Australia were working on compared to Sara.

http://sas.ogn.com.au/auspics/template_test1.jpg

Quote[/b] ]This is primarily an infantry sim... don't forget that. And infantry needs to have a rich and realistic environment.

Absolutely agree 100% and thats exactly what were aiming for. We are also very consious of FPS and server/client load.

Sahrani isn't that big. Not by long shot.

The pic is comparing the in game island size not the real life size of Australia lol

A quick pic of WIP, this will show you the size of the OGN Australia were working on compared to Sara.

http://sas.ogn.com.au/auspics/template_test1.jpg

Quote[/b] ]This is primarily an infantry sim... don't forget that. And infantry needs to have a rich and realistic environment.

Absolutely agree 100% and thats exactly what were aiming for. We are also very consious of FPS and server/client load.

That's looking amazing! I'm not an Aussie, but I still can't wait to get my hands on that. Will definitely be a blast having a huge battle on that map. Really have the need to use air transport yay.gif

Yup Aussie...Looks sure promising....

Know i shouldnt ask this but...What kind of timeframe

are we looking at...?? For a release that is......

Dang, please dont lock this know...Sorry...

Yup Aussie...Looks sure promising....

Know i shouldnt ask this but...What kind of timeframe

are we looking at...?? For a release that is......

Dang, please dont lock this know...Sorry...

As you can see in the size of the Island ....Texturing and landscaping the island even with a crew of 7 working on different parts of the island will take its toll.....

We at OGN Australia mod are working on it at a good rate but prefer to have a good map than a rushed job.... details in section take alot of effort but mainly time..... All we can say is that when that light at the end of the Tunnel is comming close you will be first to know..... biggrin_o.gif

Ahhhh, im so honered...

Looking forward to the light be shining up on you...

notworthy.gif

EDIT:

And as i read in another thread the porting of ArmA1

objects is an easy task when ArmA2 is released so i

bet this island will live for a LOOOONG time...

Yeah, good luck to the team, quite impressive to see the size of Aussie island compared to Sahrani.

Great stuff

Cant wait to walk around to my neighbours and shoot there cat rofl.gif or even a quiet fly buy in a Harrier  whistle.gif