Sign in to follow this  
mr burns

Atari & the truth..

Recently there was a little discussion on our german fora about a video on Ataris website that featured some amazing (but fake) new sound fx.

Today Cokemik posted a link to this:

ftp://ftp.atari.com/manuals/pc/arma/ArmChairGeneralTacticsGuide.pdf

Amongst other things you´ll find this picture:

doubleyouteeeff.jpg

Like the link says .. wtf?? I cannot have overseen that, or have i? ....

Fired up ArmA and found the right place instantly, but what do you guess? No open window!

atari_haee.jpg

Now heres the big question, is Atari shitting a whole lot of customers with their fake advertising, or is it another upcoming feature?

i wish it was real, it would be so cool going through large apartment buildings, but sad when your standing near the window, you sometimes go right through the wall

Mr. Burns you obviously don't know the cheat codes to unlock that window.

Chipper, you obviously need to register on one of our forums so i can ban you tounge2.gif

thanks for posting this. it is unbelievable what publisher can do. lies, lies, lies - everywhere.

thanks for posting this. it is unbelievable what publisher can do. lies, lies, lies - everywhere.

How about the US customers who saw this in the inside flap of the box sleeve?

aacofastrope.gif

Where is my fast rope, Atari? Woodland camo? Hmmm...artistic license run wild?

Yea, its pretty ridiculous... even in the whole photo (you only showed a part), how'd the sniper get on the roof!

I remember watching an ArmA video on YouTube showcasing usable elevators...

Why do you think that's Atari's doing and not the people who made the guide?

Well, i not sure, but maybe Atari got his own vision of "how ArmA should look like". rofl.gif

Seriously, i don't care about the window "cheat", but it would be very nice to have all this new fu****g nice sound of Dslyecxi's "Combat Operations US Trailer".

I still have hope Bohemia will add some better sound for theire "baby".  huh.gif

The grafic is amazing, but the sounds suxxs badly.

Come on .. i like your work and really appreciate it. But how can you stand up for such marketing strategys?

edit: I really don´t care about who delivers the content for their promos. imho they have to make sure that stuff like this doesn´t happen!

Well, i not sure, but maybe Atari got his own vision of "how ArmA should look like". rofl.gif

Seriously, i don't care about the window "cheat", but it would be very nice to have all this new fu****g nice sound of Dslyecxi's "Combat Operations US Trailer".

I still have hope Bohemia will add some better sound for theire "baby". huh.gif

The grafic is amazing, but the sounds suxxs badly.

Ohh yeah.. Check 1:32. I want such sounds for weapons!

I must agree what is shown in that video is not what the game contains. But man I'd like the sounds to be as they are in that trailer!

Well, this is nice for all of the Codie bashers out there. I remember back when you all were saying anything is better than Codies.

So you get what were looking for.

Steam 0 Sprocket 1

Codies 0 Atari 1

Codies 0 Tens of never before heard of publishers 1

^^ Report that list on the bugtracker... and claim everything is a bug... Maybe BIS will work on it biggrin_o.gif

well maybe we get FastRope and more enterable buildings in 1.09 or 1.10 smile_o.gif

Well, this is nice for all of the Codie bashers out there. I remember back when you all were saying anything is better than Codies.

So you get what were looking for.

Steam 0 Sprocket 1

Codies 0 Atari 1

Codies 0 Tens of never before heard of publishers 1

erm ... explain the point with Steam ? i don't get it wink_o.gif

wait - all this excitement because that picture shows a soldier aiming out a window that isn't really open in the actual game? big deal. icon_rolleyes.gif

there are plenty of buildings with open windows in the game. so they altered their picture a bit to make it look more realistic (it makes a hell of a lot more sense to attack a convoy with an RPG from above instead of the ground floor, doesn't it?). what remains is the fact that you can enter (some) buildings and shoot from the inside.

the same with the sniper on the roof. so maybe that particular building doesn't have a staircase to the roof. but you can always get to any rooftop; use the staircase if there is one, insert via helo or parachute down on it.

so if anything, criticize ArmA for not having that building accessible.

what remains is the fact that you can enter (some) buildings and shoot from the inside.

WHAT?huh.gif Have you played the game at all?

Tell me where is any building where you can fire RPGs down on the street through a window?

Maybe if BIS will correct the animations so the RPG could be fired from a standing position, then it will be possible to fire RPGs from a window, but not now.

well maybe we get FastRope and more enterable buildings in 1.09 or 1.10 smile_o.gif

dowbt it, still be fixing game bugs then. crazy_o.gif

Why is anyone surprised about this? It's not all that uncommon actually, a lot of game images are edited for advertising purposes and most of the time the boxes have doctored pics in them as well.

It's annoying to say the least but I never really go by the pics anymore, I just read press releases and forums for the real scoop.

what remains is the fact that you can enter (some) buildings and shoot from the inside.

WHAT?huh.gif Have you played the game at all?

Tell me where is any building where you can fire RPGs down on the street through a window?

Maybe if BIS will correct the animations so the RPG could be fired from a standing position, then it will be possible to fire RPGs from a window, but not now.

of course there are some buildings with windows you can enter and fire from them at street ...

now You own me beer smile_o.gif

Come on .. i like your work and really appreciate it. But how can you stand up for such marketing strategys?

edit: I really don´t care about who delivers the content for their promos. imho they have to make sure that stuff like this doesn´t happen!

I think you missed what I said. Everyone here is getting in a tizzy over "Atari" doing these things, but what proof do you have? The box cover, yeah, that was probably them. The sounds for the trailers, you have no evidence that Atari did that. Hell, I remember an ooooooooooooooold ArmA trailer from BIS that had obviously faked sounds in it.

As to the "Armchair General" article, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to find that the magazine itself made and doctored those screens, and not Atari. The article is full of stuff that does not exist, but it seems to be ignorance on the author's part and not at all malicious.

In any case, this is a silly thing to get worked up about.

Some dumb people made a strategy guide and Atari just blindly linked to it. They didn't read it or think about false advertising. The decision to link to it was probably made by one guy on his lunch break at Atari.

The game box art was probably made by someone who never even played the game. Game box art commonly takes an extreme artistic license with things.

Call me grizzled but it's hard to get up in arms and angry at Atari when pretty much all publishers do this kind of thing.