Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

Business is business at the end of the day and another shoddy release will bury BIS, of this you can be assured. The size of the company is irrelevant to the quality of what it produces.

I point out that you must watch what you say otherwise you may get sued. Arma is a decent release. Your saying that all these professional game reviewers are lying? Did Bis pay them off ?

http://www.armedassault.com/press.html

Only a few have your opinion

God luck in life

Ok, obviously you havent a clue. Go play your "finished" game and if you dont like negativity about ArmA, probably best to stay out of a thread titled "ArmA is just ... disappointing" mmmmmmk

goodnight.gif

I do play it, year later (good investment!wink_o.gif

I spend more on getting the kids haircuts,tank of gas,going out to eat etc...

I play it on my PIV 3.0 gig, 1 gig ddr, 7600gs 512m video card,XP home

And sometimes on my laptop : XP4000+ cpu,1 gig ddr,x600 256m video card, XP home

Works great! I have no game equal.

If I could trust honest comments in this topic thats not getting the fans in an outrage I would stay out of it.Babysitting is aparantly needed tho.

(BTW, remember you are posting this stuff in a FAN Forum for Bis games)

I wouldn't be here if I didn't like their games and I never said it was perfect

There is a Biki bug-reporting, thats all thats needed.

This topic is getting both sides worked up

Last question: What games are on your list of "finished games?"

Quote[/b] ]My opinion and judging from some decent feedback why would they want to waste anymore manpower/money on a game that didn't do as well as expected.

Because Marek himself promised to do exactly that after the rushed release, don´t you remember ?

It´s not our fault that the first release was plagued with bugs all over and they certainly reduced the number of the bugs, but still in key aspects and with key-bugs there hasn´t been real improvment.

Keeping in mind that an Arma 2 releasedate in 2008 is as likely as me taking my first steps on the moon at the same time, I´d say it´s more realistic to expect Arma 2 in 2 or 3 years.

Marek himself felt sorry for the release. Remember the part where he said: We had to release it now or never because of money issues ?

It´s all fine and dandy that they are working on the sequel, but to be honest, first of all they should complete what they have promised to complete, or make an announcement that Arma is not - to - be - fixed because of the nature of Arma itself.

Then we can just move on and take it with a big grain of salt next time we hear about a new BIS product.

I´m a mission-maker and I hate the Arma bugs as they simply can make missionmaking a real pain in the place where the sun doesn´t shine.

This thread should be closed indeed because it's gone fubar long time ago. Instead of complaing in a civilized manner, most posts made just ended up in insulting and unfair comments. Initially it was thought to collect the complaints from customers and give the developers an overview of what people don't like, or wish to have fixed. This chance was wasted as the first insults arised long time ago, I highly doubt that anyone from BIS bothers to look into this anymore.

Quote[/b] ]Sorry m8, cant agree with you at all. Closing the topic would be a VERY bad idea indeed as burying people's legitimate concerns maybe something you agree with but I can assure you many people here do NOT agree with you.

Like said above, the chance was there to speak about the concerns - in a civilized and constructive manner. And as so often recently this community (which unfortunately isn't the same anymore as it was some years ago) blew up the chance given.

Afaik both threads, the "Arma is just... disappointing" and "Arma is just...excellent" will be closed anyway when patch 1.09 will be released and a new set of threads will be opened.

I sincerely hope that the 1.09 version allows a more balanced

weight in both of the threads. thumbs-up.gif

You know too much... pistols.gif

I think a generic "recreational moaning" thread will suffice.

No need for the corresponding positive thread as we're all too busy enjoying it biggrin_o.gif

This thread should be closed indeed because it's gone fubar long time ago. Instead of complaing in a civilized manner, most posts made just ended up in insulting and unfair comments. Initially it was thought to collect the complaints from customers and give the developers an overview of what people don't like, or wish to have fixed. This chance was wasted as the first insults arised long time ago, I highly doubt that anyone from BIS bothers to look into this anymore.
Quote[/b] ]Sorry m8, cant agree with you at all. Closing the topic would be a VERY bad idea indeed as burying people's legitimate concerns maybe something you agree with but I can assure you many people here do NOT agree with you.

Like said above, the chance was there to speak about the concerns - in a civilized and constructive manner. And as so often recently this community (which unfortunately isn't the same anymore as it was some years ago) blew up the chance given.

TBH Wolle, if this thread was locked, I would delete ArmA and never even look at another BIS product because that would be almost facist in nature.

By all means, delete posts that are rude and disrespectful but there are legitimate complaints here that are as valid as any of the praise in the other thread.

I sincerely hope that 1.09 fixes alot of the existing problems with the game and as much as I will always remain opposed to what I see as the totally premature announcement and development of ArmA 2, I will still make missions for ArmA (which is why I am bald now), and will continue to hope that it gets its act together.

E

PS : Dmarkwick, love your mod btw smile_o.gif

When 1.09 is released there will be one feedback thread for all positive and negative comments smile_o.gif

So now it's 'the communities' fault? They don't complain about the game in the way BIS sees fit. If lot's of people are angry about Arma it must be because they're immature, right? rofl.gif

And since when does a few abusive hotheads in this thread = "this community"? That's an absurd generalisation and an insult to the hard-working people who've tried to improve/repair this game.

You know the saying 'people get the politicians they deserve'? Perhaps game developers get the forums posts they deserve?

If/when Arma II arrives, if it's in the same condition as Arma is now, I shall avoid it like the plague, and I have the feeling I'm not alone. goodnight.gif

I wanted to post a reply to Wolle's comment about "not complaining the right way", but I changed my mind.

I don't know if Wolle works for BIS or not, but it really doesn't matter, because he's a moderator of the official forums. Pray, tell me, how commenting on customers like that will help with the sales of ArmA 2?

So now it's 'the communities' fault? They don't complain about the game in the way BIS sees fit. If lot's of people are angry about Arma it must be because they're immature, right? rofl.gif

How many people in this thread reported the "hotheads" to us moderators? 10% maybe, the rest jumped on the bandwagon and continued off-topic talk even further or started insults or flamebaiting too.

How many from these 75 pages (including the past 2) are about troubleshooting, other games, general talk and the lot? I don't know it, I gave up counting or care about this thread at all.

ethne

We deleted a lot of the off-topic talk here during the first weeks, but we gave it up at sometime as there are more threads for us to care about then this one.

xxbbcc

No I don't work for BIS otherwise the avatar would say "Team" instead of "Moderator"

To make things clear:

I never said that people have not the right to complain, and of course everyone has the right to complain if the product he paid good money for is bugged. Actually that was the reason why I started this topic. But if complaining turns into insulting of the developers then yes, I would say there was a good chance wasted.

And now, maybe it would be good idea to go back on topic, no?

ArmA disapoints me because there should have been some new content for dload. I mean, we got all the same stuff that was in OFP when we bought this game.

QG? its ok but theres not much "new" in it. The civs included dont even have blood texes (thats lame).

Be nice to see something by BIS for dload that offers a new vehicle or two or a new soldier model...i dunno, sumthin.

my 2 cents

I have found this thread very informative, and when I read it I simply ignore posts that are off-topic criticism.

ArmA disapoints me because there should have been some new content for dload. I mean, we got all the same stuff that was in OFP when we bought this game.

QG? its ok but theres not much "new" in it. The civs included dont even have blood texes (thats lame).

Be nice to see something by BIS for dload that offers a new vehicle or two or a new soldier model...i dunno, sumthin.

my 2 cents

Name three things that were possible in OFP engine wise that we didnt have?

Its like comparing a 1 year old child to 55 year old grown up proffesor.

Offcourse the 1 year old child is less capable. But when it becomes 55 it will know and be able do to much more...

OFP lasted 6 years

And was shite in the beginning

ARMA is only 1 year old

And has several major bugs removed, it has much better graphics, and allows for much bigger islands, more objects to be loaded, and not to fucking mention the uber uber uber uber uber helicopter flight model we have now!

That alone for me was enough!

not to mention multigunner for instance! yay.gif

Maybe I didn't post that clearly enough.

Quote[/b] ]...there should have been some new content for dload.
Quote[/b] ]I mean, we got all the same stuff that was in OFP when we bought this game.

Im referring to addons. Im referring to the same units basically that we had in OFP...urals/T72/M1a1/hummer etc etc

Its be nice to see some MORE new content up for dload from BIS as in NEW UNITS.

The actual game engine itself does not disapoint me.

I love the game, but the biggest dis at the moment is the 4GB RAM issue, which i hope will be sorted with 1.09, but i'm gonna pull 2gig tommorow just to play it.

There's loads of niggly things that bug me, 99% have been mentioned, but the 1 thing I would like is a more creative rank structure. In the editor you can select rank, from pvt to col, which is nice, but... its only purpose is so the server can deciede who takes command in what order when the group leader dies, and (apparently) makes the AI less likely to surrender or flee, the higher the rank. If, and i'm talking arma2 here, there could be a 3rd even 4th teer, would be cool.

Yes if you're only coopin about with 5 thats ok as it is, but 30+ players, would be real nice to have a leader of leaders set out in the mission editing stage, so s/he has a more strategic role, which leaves the teamleaders to have the tactical along with the regulars who are on the line.

game seems to play quite laggy in MP. ive got a pretty good system which includes a geeforce 8800 gts card which ive read this game doesnt like to much so maybe thats the problem. had a ctd and some other weird stuff hapnin like not bein able to rotate 360.

big reason why i bought this game was for the added realism, and especially the longer visual distance and large map but have had quite a frustatin evening playin mainly due to the above reasons but also due to the relatively small servers.

biggest ive seen so far has been 30 players which on a map as big as this game has it makes it so sparsely populated it can take up to 10 mins to find some action. i still believe there's a good game in here somewhere just havin trouble findin it so far i guess

Hi tonedog342

This the correct thread to talk about negative experiences wink_o.gif BIS look here to find out what people do not like as part of their marketing. Also look and post in the troubleshooting thread if you want solutions.

Lag in single player

If you have Vista check that you do not have the power settings scheme in Vista set to "Energy saving mode", which results in the CPU sitting at it's lowest running frequence. Set it to "Balanced", the CPU scales up to it's maximum frequency while running ArmA.

More about vista settings here http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=69307

Lag in multi player

You do not specify what kind of lag you are experiencing. Is it with controls or reaction to what you ask it to do or are you shooting things and they do not die till latter.

Size of MP games

Public servers are not ideal; If you want to play lots of close in action play one of the CTFs there are a still a few people who play them. Then try a Berzerk mission for something a little bigger. There are many servers running with more than 30 people on them they tend to be private as it keeps the riff raff out. wink_o.gif Try joining a clan. Some are running 60 plus people some are running 100.

Missions with lots of entities on them are down to the missions you play.

In PVP The way you fill the map in MP is with human controled AI squads.

This works well in both PVP A&D and Coops. For Coops a PVP element can be added with a CEX human controled OPFOR. I often play missions with several thousand entities on using CEX.

Kind Regards walker

the whole eperience just doesnt seem smooth, flight seems jumpy and sometimes other players skip a few seconds.

regarding gameplay it seems quite difficult to get involved, in BF2 u can instantly join a squad and if its a good squad there will be teamwork etc. i havent seen any of that so far

so how do i find these private servers then?

the whole eperience just doesnt seem smooth, flight seems jumpy and sometimes other players skip a few seconds.

ArmA is a demanding game when it comes to systempower, so any desync or lag is noteable - yes. But i guess it depends not only on the power of the server, but also on the graphic settings some clients are running with. Too high settings can cause lag on the server, as you could see even in flashpoint. Folks with weak machines and those effectmods enabled where columns of smoke raise 200m into the sky caused desync and lag. Don't know the code in ArmA but i a can imagine that from some specific framerate on, the game itself will start to send the packets less frequent to the server, what successively will end up in desync.

regarding gameplay it seems quite difficult to get involved, in BF2 u can instantly join a squad and if its a good squad there will be teamwork etc. i havent seen any of that so far

I think he was trying to guide you to something like that:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:ArmA:_Multiplayer_Squads

You, on the other hand, seem to mean the built-in squad system in BF2.

so how do i find these private servers then?

In the gamebrowser try to find locked servers. Watch for the servers signed with a big red cross. Some of them are using different version, but others are just private!

regarding gameplay it seems quite difficult to get involved, in BF2 u can instantly join a squad and if its a good squad there will be teamwork etc.  i havent seen any of that so far

not at all, you just need to know what servers to go onto.  unfortunalty arma multiplyer has been hijacked by two games,  Evolution and Bezerk.  No offence to there makers becuase there good fun, but completely overplayed.

Finding a good old co-op server with even a single player in it can be challenging.

Maybe I didn't post that clearly enough.
Quote[/b] ]...there should have been some new content for dload.
Quote[/b] ]I mean, we got all the same stuff that was in OFP when we bought this game.

Im referring to addons. Im referring to the same units basically that we had in OFP...urals/T72/M1a1/hummer etc etc

Its be nice to see some MORE new content up for dload from BIS as in NEW UNITS.

The actual game engine itself does not disapoint me.

Oohh! huh.gif

haha, yes that makes sense.

However Im pretty sure the addonmakers can make much better addons for free. And BIS could spend resources on a project to make new addons for us. But those addons will be matched if not surpassed by community made addons anyway.

So IMO its better they spend their resources on finishing bugs and whatnot.

confused_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I loved Operation Flashpoint very much, but never got along with the controls. Armed Assault has even worse controls. I feel as though my character is both intoxicated and naturally clumsy at the same time. Then, too, the field of vision is a big problem, much more than in most shooters since Armed Assault won't let you transition smoothly from forward walk to sidestep, which is required in order to look quickly to the side while continuing to move in the same direction. It makes you halt for a moment. Indeed, it makes you halt in many circumstances for no good reason.

Here's an example. You can tell the game, while you are still running, to set your default motionless position to a crouch. But even though you're still holding the run key, the game will briefly halt your forward motion while it registers your command, before return you to a run. The same is true of the inverse, setting your default motionless position to standing. It's most irritating, especially under fire. It would be unrealistic enough if you were actually changing your stance on the fly, because people can smoothly transition from a crouching run to a standing run in reality. But what makes it worse is that under the circumstances, you're not actually changing your stance on the fly in the game; you're just "deciding" to change the stance your character will take when he stops running. It's like your character is terminally stupid; the process of deciding while running to go into a crouch after he stops causes him to halt to think, because he can't run and make little decisions like that at the same time.

But the worst part has got to be that, when your default position is crouch (it only makes a difference when you're not running), the game causes you often to take a few extra steps after you release the forward key. The difference is often at least six feet. This means that when moving to the edge of cover to peer out, when you release the move key to stop, your character will sometimes charge out stupidly into the open and promptly be shot. I said "stop," dash it all! Drunken soldiers are no fun to play.

my 2 cents

Name three things that were possible in OFP engine wise that we didnt have?

Its like comparing a 1 year old child to 55 year old grown up proffesor.

Offcourse the 1 year old child is less capable. But when it becomes 55 it will know and be able do to much more...

OFP lasted 6 years

And was shite in the beginning

ARMA is only 1 year old

LoL, your comparisons crack me up. There are 75+ pages of compaints here and you only want 3 things that are different.

Well mine would be the list below:

(1) AA control system totally sucks over Ofp.

(2) No smooth transitions in the animations.

(3) CTF just about dead in Multiplayer.

(4) Bullet spread while looking down the scope.

Ok thats 4 shall i continue?

Also by giving the comparison about the 1yr child and the 55yr proffesor. you are infact saying its going to take 54 years to make the game good lol.

Ofp was good from the word go, it was brilliant 6 years later, minus the cheaters who ruined it. AA was bad from the word go and it just seems to get worse. I mean. I might be mistaken, but is there really only ever 2 or 3 CTF servers? or have i put some type of filter on that is blocking all the others?