Sign in to follow this  
l mandrake

ARMA Scoring System....

OK, been waiting for this to get sorted since OPF 1.0. Obviously it isnt an issue for most, but I cannot stand the inconsistencies with the points scoring system, eg:

1. I shoot at a Kamov with a .50 cal machine gun. I keep firing until the chopper explodes in mid-air, I get 5 points for this and a registered 'air kill'. Hooray!

2. Same situation, this time I hit the rotor, knocking it out. The chopper falls out of the sky (it has still been shot down by me). I get ZERO points for this. ZERO!!!!! According to the current scoring system I didnt destroy the chopper, the GROUND did. I mean WT absolute F?

Let's think about this - I fired at the chopper and crippled it, destroying it as a military threat and I get no reward. Crazy.

3. I see an enemy T72. I fire a M136 rocket, hitting it. The crew bails out. The T72 has now been effectively disabled. I fire a second rocket causing the empty tank to explode. I get ZERO points. Zero. As if I achieved nothing, but in reality I neutralised a high value enemy asset, potentially helping my team win the battle. Ridiculous.

Please consider amending the scoring system so that points are awarded on a PRO RATA BASIS whenever damage is inflicted on hostile targets through accurate gunnery. Eg, I hit a T72 with an AT4, I get two points. I hit it again, I get 2 more. If it explodes, great, if not, big deal.

The same can apply to infantry, if I hit an enemy soldier, I am reducing his fighting ability (i.e. he cannot walk, or aim properly) so I should be rewarded.

Rant over. Still the best game ever  notworthy.gif

Tough shinola biggrin_o.gif

If you're playing ArmA for glory & points, you're playing the wrong game.

IMO natch wink_o.gif

OK, been waiting for this to get sorted since OPF 1.0.

Indeed, it should be removed completely, or be replaced by something that actually encourages teamplay. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you're playing ArmA for glory & points, you're playing the wrong game.

It's true that the scoring system is broken, but I have to agree with DMarkwick. Sure, it feels good to be on the top of the score screen, but really, people playing for points are usually the biggest rambos and often end up doing the dumbest things.

example: I was playing a real popular mission and I was on the passenger seat of a humvee and we were driving to the frontline when, to my surprise, the driver leaves the road and drives for 5 minutes through the countryside to reach a spot where there was an empty uaz. Then he proceeds to shoot 2 AT-4 to destroy it, just so he could get 1 point and a vehicle kill.

yay.gif

Congratulations to everyone who missed the point of my post. No really.

The issue under discussion is not WHETHER ARMA should have a scoring system at all (as it is a competitive game this goes without saying) but whether the current system needs changes thumbs-up.gif

Please do not hijack as I really want to improve the current system.

I noticed this too and it's an interesting problem. So you wish the program to keep track of which vehicles you hit.. so you have sort of a claim on vehicles after you shoot them.. If the vehicle then is destroyed, you get the points.

Now imagine the online destroyed vehicle bug.. You shoot the skids of an mh-6 so it appears to be alive for you, then the pilot has a bad take off and crashes into a tree. You damaged the vehicle last, therefore you're responsible for its destruction, and get the negative points.

The situation gets more and more complicated...

I'm sorry but thats funny as hell after being here for a few months goodnight.gif

I see the removal of the current system as a very big improvement.

(as it is a competitive game this goes without saying) but whether the current system needs changes

Please explain how is Arma a competitive game?

80% of servers are coop servers. There is practically no squad vs squad games, no organized ladders, nothing.

*Awaits Celery* tounge2.gif

Nah seriously, the point thing isn't so bad. It's useful for missions like Evolution. You can also choose to ignore it. Mods like WGL have even "removed" it in the past.

Players should get the right points for causing a T72 to "brew up". biggrin_o.gif

Always disliked the scoring in OFP, never saw the point of it. OFP isnt the game you play just so you can go "Oh look at how many people I killed"

I reckon the whole points system should be just removed in general.

I agree tho it's still something that should be fixed, like if you shoot a chopper last it should remain as your kill for some seconds or something like that.

Not that it's a real big deal if they didn't, and of course theres 1000x more things to fix and add before they attempt such a thing.

Now imagine the online destroyed vehicle bug.. You shoot the skids of an mh-6 so it appears to be alive for you, then the pilot has a bad take off and crashes into a tree. You damaged the vehicle last, therefore you're responsible for its destruction, and get the negative points.

Theoretically, all you'd need to do is a timer. If player A hits player B's helicopter and the player B's helicopter is destroyed (crashes, blows up, etc.) within 5 seconds then player A gets an air kill.

It wouldn't be that difficult for Suma or one of the other programmers to implement the timer. The difficult part would be to implement an system to the event handler to register every single shot to a particular player. It'd most likely increase processing time knowing how often bullets seem to fly in ArmA, especially in an urban environment.

I may have missed the point of the thread, but apparently you have missed the point of the game biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

The issue under discussion is not WHETHER ARMA should have a scoring system at all (as it is a competitive game this goes without saying) but whether the current system needs changes thumbs-up.gif

There's a very comprehensive thread already discussing just this very topic, where my rather sensible recommendations are posted smile_o.gif

*edit*

these posts are in good humour BTW wink_o.gif

(as it is a competitive game this goes without saying) but whether the current system needs changes

Please explain how is Arma a competitive game?

80% of servers are coop servers. There is practically no squad vs squad games, no organized ladders, nothing.

Boo! crazy_o.gif

To not go completely offtopic, the scoring needs someone to fix it. For example you don't get a kill if you shoot at someone with a vehicle gun and die just before your victim does (you fly out of the vehicle that "does" the kill). Before any smarter-than-life poindexter says nobody needs that point anyway, yes you do. It's the whole "point" of deathmatch and team deathmatch.

i see no sense in receiving points for shooting soldiers, but no points for big targets, worked well in ofp, works allrdy with shilkas, bmps etc in ArmA... is this meant to be realistic, do heavy tanks never explode right away ? never shot one in real doh.

i think arma can could should be a really competitive game and it is more realistic to play versus human enemies instead of more or lest stupid ais.

for the anti community i'd say don't press "i" omg...

Daniel @ May 18 2007,20:44)]*Awaits Celery* tounge2.gif

LMAO How predictable

Boo!  

To not go completely offtopic, the scoring needs someone to fix it. For example you don't get a kill if you shoot at someone with a vehicle gun and die just before your victim does (you fly out of the vehicle that "does" the kill). Before any smarter-than-life poindexter says nobody needs that point anyway, yes you do. It's the whole "point" of deathmatch and team deathmatch.

Uh? Thanks for proving my point I guess. Congrats! I have had a look at those sites, well I don't speak german or czech but half of them are just in construction, or don't have any squads listed or anything. Apparently the most popular has like 35 teams which isn't bad at all, but when you look at the actual ladder, there are only 11 teams active but only 8 of them have played any matches, the top team has only played two.

If you think that's a competitive game, I feel a bit sorry for you.

And I have never said that nobody needs points, only that it makes people play stupidly on public servers. Sure it needs to be fixed.

And really when you play for an organized squad, what matters is that your team wins, individual scores shouldn't matter much at the end of the day.

Don't get so defensive, it sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder. It's not my fault if the bulk of Arma players enjoy coop more. And for your info I have played CTF for 3 years for an organized team on another game, I played countless MP official games, I know what competition is like. So please...

yawnz.

A game like this needs a scoring system. Even our Yahoo little kiddy games have a point system. It's part of being called a GAME. So keep it in.

It just needs some improvements.

Theoretically, all you'd need to do is a timer. If player A hits player B's helicopter and the player B's helicopter is destroyed (crashes, blows up, etc.) within 5 seconds then player A gets an air kill.

It wouldn't be that difficult for Suma or one of the other programmers to implement the timer. The difficult part would be to implement an system to the event handler to register every single shot to a particular player. It'd most likely increase processing time knowing how often bullets seem to fly in ArmA, especially in an urban environment.

So you blast off my tail rotor... and it's going to be difficult to land but easy to fly... now all I have to do is go out to sea for a while to deny you of points before I risk landing. Timers are easily broken too.

My opinion is to remove points completely, that way the game is played as it is suposed. With a point system follows cheats, hacks, exploits and such pest, there are always people prepared to do whatever it takes to be at the "top of the list" and destroy the game for everyone else.

Hello

What the game really needs is TWO things...

1. A choice to use or NOT use the scoring system on ones server. (In any Game Mode)

2. Accurate scoring. (I've had a few instances of seeing a t72 sneaking up on it, killing it, and then getting minus points as it was  abandoned and a friendly player has sat in it sometime in the past then abandoned it themselves.)

This way the point whores (excuse the term) and those who like DM etc can see their points.

Whilst those who dont like the score system dont have to worry about it at all.

Rgds

LoK

PS The MAIN draw IMHO to this game is the freedom it allows.

Keep that freedom in the configuration of the game as well as the gameplay and we have a winner.

So you blast off my tail rotor... and it's going to be difficult to land but easy to fly... now all I have to do is go out to sea for a while to deny you of points before I risk landing. Timers are easily broken too.

True, but its a start, and it would solve most of the problems. I would have to say that if a pilot can manage to handle his badly damaged aircraft that well he should be able to keep his attacker from obtaining his kill.

Daniel @ May 18 2007,20:44)]*Awaits Celery* tounge2.gif

LMAO How predictable

Boo!

Uh? Thanks for proving my point I guess. Congrats! I have had a look at those sites, well I don't speak german or czech but half of them are just in construction, or don't have any squads listed or anything. Apparently the most popular has like 35 teams which isn't bad at all, but when you look at the actual ladder, there are only 11 teams active but only 8 of them have played any matches, the top team has only played two.

If you think that's a competitive game, I feel a bit sorry for you.

And I have never said that nobody needs points, only that it makes people play stupidly on public servers. Sure it needs to be fixed.

And really when you play for an organized squad, what matters is that your team wins, individual scores shouldn't matter much at the end of the day.

Don't get so defensive, it sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder. It's not my fault if the bulk of Arma players enjoy coop more. And for your info I have played CTF for 3 years for an organized team on another game, I played countless MP official games, I know what competition is like. So please...

Oh please! You said there are practically no competition, I showed that there practically is competition. I don't know what you read in the lines between "Boo!" and the tournament site list, so I don't understand your aggressive argumenting toward me. If you feel sorry for me, it would be more polite to PM me than express it here where everyone can hear it. Now everybody knows that Kwato feels sorry for me. sad_o.gif