Sign in to follow this  
Swatman

why the obsession with evolution co op?

i love team death match but it seems all the players are in co op, and personally i didnt find it fun. i played a nice 46 person TDM last night and had a great time.. plz tell me there will be more TDM

if i had more missin that are tdm i would run them more often on the server

Evolution is just a great mission, no wonder that all love it.

I just hope more great missions of that kind will be made in the future. So we can have a lill bit more variety.

i have never played a TDM mission in ArmA yet. confused_o.gif

but you can be sure that there will come more missions everyday.

Its like in OFP, there are still people playing it and making missions for it.

We are just at the beginning of ArmA, so wait a bit and you will find for sure missions you like.

Maybe you should start making missions by yourself, its never to late to start with mission-making! wink_o.gif

You have your giant Co-op's (Evolution)

You'll get your giant TDM's (OFP had like Battlefield)

You'll get your giant CTF's

You'll get your giant CTI's (OFP had MFCTI, CrCTI etc)

You'll get your giant mods.. it's just patience. Like Frantic said, it's just the beginning.

i would like to see a tdm with a solid area for front lines and each side restricted to their own side, basicly a big shootout

Evolution is a well made map but personally I wouldn't voluntarily play it again after I've finished it once. Basically it's just turkey shooting stupid and static AI targets from one town to another and finding the last enemy hiding in a bush with a skill too low to pull the trigger when it sees a player.

i would like to see a tdm with a solid area for front lines and each side restricted to their own side, basicly a big shootout

It's good to think of ideas for maps but you have to take into account how players would act in a map like that. In my experience such a map would end up being a "sniper" game with players peeking out of the same corner for 30 minutes. Whether or not it's what you want depends on your taste.

PvP, no respawn, story-missions are probably the pinnacle of what the game is capable of, but so far I'm sticking to coops for a few reasons:

1. Not enough players to fill out one side, let alone two.

2. Really lethal environment so much that it's not even funny.

3. Tendency to use lower-grade tactics.

4. Players are usually not even skilled enough to play coops very well. PvP is much, much harder and takes more skill.

Anything with respawns in it shorter than 10 minutes quickly degrades into BF2, Evolution included. If the time it takes to get organized is longer than half the respawn time than people don't work together. Simple rule.

While playing TDM I basically can't help but go lone wolf off and employ some individual movement techniques. I'll kill 3-5 of the enemy, get 75% of the way across the map, die, lather, rinse, repeat. About after death 10 I remember that ArmA is so much more interesting than that.

If Coop is played correctly, its very enjoyable. Last night i played Coop with dozens of guys, surprisingly most of the guys played in a good teamwork game. So its better to have some missions to do then just whack eachother in TDM. But Arma multiplayer has more potential, well just have to wait and see. pistols.gif

Hey all, EVO 1.* IS played to death. Fact, there is not a night I go on and not see it played somewhere. speaking for my self, it is a great map on the tech aspect of it, but same shit different day, go and play it when there are a heap of nOObs on it and see the carnage, just NFI! But it is a good mission and that is why it is played, (to death!wink_o.gif But ArmA is relatively new and tools will be released (Will they?) soon, and then watch the ball rolling. I do like a good CoOp map and the rest to a lesser extent, but working as a team to achieve a common goal does make the game worth it. TS helps a lot in the team work too, beats typing! But find patience, good things will come to those who wait. (especially when BI releases those modding tools! COME ONNN ALREADY!!!!!! We have waited long enough! Throw us a bone will ya!!!!wink_o.gif Guess I have ran out of patience. biggrin_o.gif

Later yall.

I played Evo for a couple of weeks but got tired of it, respawn and same thing over and over, keeps the masses happy tho.

Trouble is, finding a server that plays serious coop is becoming impossible.

I played Evo for a couple of weeks but got tired of it, respawn and same thing over and over, keeps the masses happy tho.

Yeah ..... 80% of the "CooP"-Servers are running Evolution (which isn't a real CooP in my eyes icon_rolleyes.gif ) all day.

Fortunately i play on a "real" CooP-Servers

whistle.gif

Co-Op is the best online mode. Simple as that. While Evolution may not be the pinnacle of co-op gameplay, it's certainly fun. As time goes by, better, more exciting co-op missions will be released.

Haven't you guys played Berzerk? Now that is a great online mode. Everyone is human! You've even got the freedom to fly anything, drive anything, and use any weapon you want. Nothing beats setting up an IED(satchel) on the side of the road to lie in wait for a passing vehicle. It's more rewarding taking out real players.

Also, something that irks me about Evolution is that the sheer amount of AI camping in the cities make for some pretty high latency games. However, even with 50+ people, Berzerk is nice and smooth. yay.gif

Amen.

I almost stopped playing Arma because of that.

You launch the game, go to multiplayer and the screen is filled with servers playing evolution. It's a good mission no doubt, but I don't understand how people can play that stuff all the time. banghead.gif

If u look around you'll find a good server to visit..

for me the 22SAS server is great + with great people to play with too so i hang out a lot there lol

Co-Op is the best online mode. Simple as that. While Evolution may not be the pinnacle of co-op gameplay, it's certainly fun. As time goes by, better, more exciting co-op missions will be released.

You are simply wrong. Deathmatch and CTF are better.

We've taken the decision not to play Evolution on our public server except at predefined times (which players can see on our calender).

Our reasons for this are thus.

Unless we have a full server within the first 30mins of evolution load times for connecting players increase & lag increases on our server, infact we limit Evolution to 15 players. The mission is incredibly cpu intensive infact I know of a game server company who will not allow it to run on their setups. We do have a fully dedicated server so we have full autonomy however.

We do find that player numbers drop when Evolution is on as some players do not wish to enter the mission late on.

There are as it has been said alot of servers already running Evolution so I don't see why we should as well after all it's a public server, players connect and disconnect all the time and maybe only have time to play for an hour of so and Evolution is just not one of those maps thats practical in that aspect.

Our Clan has a couple of very good mission builders so we tend to run their maps instead which prove to be popular.

yeah, we have renamed the Evolution mission too on our server, just so that only we know which is it and no publics are starting it at our server. tounge2.gif

its really a heavy mission for the server, we share a server with AGSF and there are 3 ArmA server running on it, but if 2 of the servers run Evolution then the server really gets to its limits.

Evolution is a really nice and huge COOP and im sure the hype will lower, or maybe some other Evolution maps will come out.

But Evolution shows us that this kind of huge battle missions are needed and wanted for ArmA.

So lets see who will bring the next huge battle mission out! smile_o.gif

im definitely looking forward to it!

Quote[/b] ]yeah, we have renamed the Evolution mission too on our server, just so that only we know which is it and no publics are starting it at our server

Slightly off topic this but if you set voteThreshold=1.5; in the server.cfg no one can admin (and change missions) unless an admin actually logs in using the #login command. Not sure if your aware of that one.

Berzerk. yay.gif Rest is for pussies. yay.gif

biggrin_o.gif But i don't like berzerks where half of your team isn't capturing any flag because they are sniping on a hill fa away...

Worst map: arcadia to flags to near to each other and the team which conquered first wins the game...

Quote[/b] ]yeah, we have renamed the Evolution mission too on our server, just so that only we know which is it and no publics are starting it at our server

Slightly off topic this but if you set voteThreshold=1.5; in the server.cfg no one can admin (and change missions) unless an admin actually logs in using the #login command. Not sure if your aware of that one.

MCY doesn't have anything against people hosting nice games and having fun at our gay bar, but Evolution is an exception.

Like other's have said, Evolution is fun for a while, but I also find a lot of enjoyment in some good CTH or CTF. I don't think it really makes the game all that much like BF2 either, as there's still the extra realism that makes this game different from games like Joint Operations and BF2.

I don't see why so many people in this community are making such a fuss when someone says "I'm tired of coop". Some people don't like going up against AI, I know I'm one of those people. You just can't get the same kind of cunning out of an AI opponent like you can from a good human opponent.