Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Non-blinding sun mod

Excellent, im loving the way the destroyed textures look more 'burnt out' rather than left in the rain for 50 years.

The sun glare is a decent improvement too.

I appreciate the effort, but I really don't like it.

A blinding sun (especially when close to the horizon) adds a whole new tactical element.

As an example; Yesterday I was in a dogfight (A-10 vs Su-34) and every time my opponent flew towards the sun I completely lost track of him, this is a great tactic for shaking someone off your tail and I feel it should be left in game.

It could also be applied for ambushes, hit and run (strike from the sun, flee towards the sun), sniper teams, general assaults and so on.

And yet its not quite accurate how its done.

Although it is true that sunglare does happen when you look into the sun, the modified glare is more realistic because when you look at the sun, THAT is the only time you get the brightest glare, not when you look in its general direction.

Even on a bright and sunny day you would not see a glare of that magnitude.

Excellent work with the damage textures too, and I hope eventually you will release the modification for the sunglare as well.

Hi, i really like much more those sun efects than the BIS default ones.

Release it open source could be nice, but release it with a readme

explaining the FNG's how to do a mod folder, will be even better.

About those new damage textures/way; they don't look bad to me.

But ovbiously i'll preffer chrashed and broken vehicles, with the tail

broken in two... with some internal parts shown thru holes in the

hull... impacts on the engines and basically, damaged vehicles in the

way that the OFrP Mod did they're amazing Puma and things like that.

Sadly... without the 3D tools... this is just another broken (by BIS) dream.

Let's C ya

Decreasing the blinding caused by the sun is really a good idea, BIS exaggerated a bit in my opinion.

Great work mate wink_o.gif

I like both of the mods you are doing mate. Keep up the good work.

looking very good, domo arigato Miss Sakura:)

p.s: how about reducing the size of flames in destroyed vehicles? i consider them to be the least realist eyecandy in Arma, such ugly flames...they simply dont integrate with all the rest of the game.

A little update, pretty much finalized the effect I wanted. I just need to do some of the smaller textures. BTW I made another sun flare effect, so people will have more than one choice when they install it. Install should be simple for most modders, its the people who don't have a pbo extractor that it might be hard for, but I'll write a SUPER readme lol...anyways to the pics!

dam1.jpg

dam2.jpg

dam3.jpg

dam4.jpg

^

woo bullet holes in the tires yay. On a side note I started another project the other day called "Player Realism Upgrade"

It's basically a series of scripts and sounds that [try to] bring more realism to Arma, like when you turn a sharp corner, your tires screech, and when you do a jump and hit the ground you throw some sparks and make a sound. It's designed to be only executed for the player so it doesn't really affect the game like having all units useing it would. It's in an early phase, so any ideas/ suggestions would be great. some ideas are:

-------------------------------------------------------

-tire squeal/slide <- done

-tank track slide <- same script as tires, just different effect

-vapour trails off of wing tips when manuvering

-sonic booms (speed of sound set by estimated temp at altitude)

-sunglasses ->not impossible, actually a few ways that might work

-smoke a cigarette <-might be as hard as the sunglasses, but awsome

-squeal tires on acceleration, if in combat

-tire repair ability

-improved collision script

-motorcycle standup and repair

-gascan/steal gas script

-vehicle highjacking ->might affect game balance too much?

Well those are some ideas I'll throw out there, if you have some ideas that could be implemented for the PLAYER/PLAYER VEHICLE ONLY, post em up!

Any possiblity of you just releasing a beta standalone sun glare mod asap? Perhaps as a beta? The sun in arma just pisses me off... I have never once been blinded as badly IRL as I have in this screen, so I think the arma sun is a far cry from realistic:

Looking At The Sun

IntoTheSunBT.jpg

Full Size

-vehicle highjacking ->might affect game balance too much?

Something I've always wanted was the ability to swarm a tank, if you can get close enough wink_o.gif. You know, jump on top, pop the hatch, and toss a grenade in biggrin_o.gif.

The tanks in arma are pretty deadly though, and you could only really get that close in an urban environment, and then only if you sneak up on it.

I like what you're doing and look forward to a release. wink_o.gif

Any possiblity of you just releasing a beta standalone sun glare mod asap? Perhaps as a beta?

+ 1

I'll try to release everything tomorrow, as it really is just a matter of resizing/cut n' pasting some textures. I'd like to avoid any releases without proper documentation so that anyone can use it, not just modders. Please be patient inlove.gif

PLZ PLZ release everything tomorrow or as soon as you can, that all sounds REALLY awsome!!

Good work man (edit) or... Woman!

Heres some of my ideas that you might want to work on in later projects -

-Shell Shock : Grenade lands near you, you hear ringing maybe a small blindness.

-Ripple effect : Say you're vehical just took a rocket and it blows up, i want to see a circle of dirt go from the vehical and expand out word like an implosion or explostion.

This is a huge improvement, awesome smile_o.gif

I think the sun element was added well to ArmA, but the only drawback (for me at least) was that you were either completely exposed to the sun visually and couldn't see anything, or your sight was normal. There was no in-between, like you would see if the sun was blocked by a tree or a cloud.

i will be listening Mr. Roboto while waiting for the release,

domo arigato!!! biggrin_o.gif

@Bonko the Sane

where did you get the impression that Sakura is a she? biggrin_o.gif

remember, there are no male or female in the world called cyber wink_o.gif

Misc-ChangingSubject.jpg

Ok, back on topic... AWSOME WORK.

I hope you do release a beta on that Player Realism Upgrade tomorrow!

just thought of something, what have you done inorder to change those effects? i through it is hardcored into the engine huh.gif

Just one tip for he heli textures. Bullet holes are equally placed all over th model/texture. It would be more realistic to place groups of holes, somethig like this A -10 shot over Iraq.

And great work, BTW. biggrin_o.gif

man those stuff sounds very nice! I always wanted squeal efffects way back when i played ofp resistance so when driving cars there i always made the sounds in my head tounge2.gif

Ohh stealing cars would be wonderful! It would be great fun in mp and sp running up to a uaz and stand next to the car and steal it and drive off fast while the opfor's are wondering what happened biggrin_o.gif much of the other stuff is also very nice too.

hay girl, Nice work much more realistic, lovin them! I would think (bit of a perfectionist) about havin one large group of the B-holes around where you think the vital area of the vehicle is (which is hopfully where ppl will be aiming at) excluding heavy armor unless it 20mm cannon hole or bigger. very nice work keep it up.....lov to see girls modding such a small minority inlove.gif....Damn did i wright that!??!?...?..?...****..?.. whistle.gif

-Ripple effect : Say you're vehical just took a rocket and it blows up, i want to see a circle of dirt go from the vehical and expand out word like an implosion or explostion.

Good suggestion.

I like the new effects your making.

Hell with fighting, I will just wonna drive all the time around the country lanes of Sahrani.

Good work wink_o.gif

Something I've wanted to see would be tires that are deflated when shot out. Maybe even shred off the rim.

Just one tip for he heli textures. Bullet holes are equally placed all over th model/texture. It would be more realistic to place groups of  holes

Sorry, its not possible to do specific damage like that. Arma applies a damage texture over the existing texture based on its pixel width/height. This means if a truck uses a texture that is 1024x1024 pixels, it will use the damage texture "vehicle_destr1024_1024_mc.paa". it will use this texture on any 1024x1024 texture regardless of what vehicle class it is in. You could of course do specific damage on an addon, but this mod is designed to be a nice upgrade for the basic Arma effects. BTW when I said i'd release everything today I meant the sun/damage effects not the Player realism upgrade as I'm just starting it.