Sign in to follow this  
Stagger Lee

ArmA is out in the US..what are you waiting for?

Most retail outlets won't have it until the 8th, but it's available now for digital download just like Half Life 2 was. You can download it as many times as you need for 2 years and it's a FAST download. Was steady at 800KB per second for me. Finished downloading in about an hour. Just burn it to DVD if you want a hard copy available. Hardly anyone seems to be aware of this..come on we need more players for some massive battles!

welcome.gif

Go here:

http://www.atari.com/us/games/armed_assault/dvd_rom

and click on "Digital Download" on the right.

Hey its how I got my game too smile_o.gif Been playing for a week! They also have box copies there as well but the download is just so fast!

Yeah it was a bit of advertising I guess..but there are only about 20 players split over 3 active servers so far..and more is better.

Can't wait to join you guys from Europe. Thanks for beta testing it for us by the way, you all did a great job! biggrin_o.gif

Yeah it was a bit of advertising I guess..but there are only about 20 players split over 3 active servers so far..and more is better.

Can't wait to join you guys from Europe. Thanks for beta testing it for us by the way, you all did a great job! biggrin_o.gif

hehe on problem dude smile_o.gif

"BETA TESTER FOREVER" waiting for next patch smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Thanks for beta testing it for us by the way, you all did a great job!  

Through gritted teeth you are welcome tounge2.gif I hope we whined enough for you to make things better and saved you the hassle  smile_o.gif

Yes i am looking forward to a larger player base joining us in MP (but could you leave all the idiots at home, we have enough in europe to make you tear your hair out.)

Most retail outlets won't have it until the 8th, but it's available now for digital download just like Half Life 2 was... Hardly anyone seems to be aware of this..come on we need more players for some massive battles!

Heck, it's been available to download for a long, long time. I don't understand why US players didn't take advantage of the digital download months and months ago. The internet is a wonderful thing, you don't have to wait for a boxed version to be out in the US if it's available for download in europe you know. I'm from Canada and I've had the game since it was released for download in German.

Seems like lots of people don't like downloading games though (not legally, anyway). People like to have the box, the manual, and the CD/DVD. The box, usually ends up in the garbage in a week. The manual, you flip through once or twice, and quite often ends up in the trash as well. And the CD/DVD, you can burn one with the downloaded version.

Really, there's no reason to buy it from a retailer anymore. Download online, FTW.

b1sh0p: Personally I thought about downloading it a few months ago but there were just too many horror stories regarding the large number of bugs and broken aspects of gameplay, and lots of reviewers mentioned waiting till the US release. I'm glad I followed their advice.

A lot of people I know who frequent Counter Strike servers purchased it online back when it was available in Europe and gave up after a few days in disgust. We can be a fickle bunch. After talking to them about it for the past couple of days most of them are psyched and are willing to give it another post-patch try.

Now the game's in much better shape is the time to try to convert more of these FPS twich junkies to our side.

I've heard complaints about the download version of arma regarding reinstalls - I would stay away from it unless I had no choice.

Now the game's in much better shape is the time to try to convert more of these FPS twich junkies to our side.

Heh... Good luck with that one. Once a CS kiddie, always a CS kiddie, I've found. Personally I don't want their kind in our game.

I would but after what I went threw with sprocket I think I would wait. I mean I can download the game from sprcket but everytime I need to email them and have the activate the game is really bs I am going to wait for the cd or dvd. Unless you dont have to ativate the game everytime you have to reinstall then I would buy it online so let me know.

So all I want to know is if you get the game and download it and then install that is it?? Because with sprocket they make you download it and you can only install or reinstall the game 3 times because you have to email them and get more activations and takes a FEW WEEKS FOR THERE REPLAY WITCH IS BS!!!!!!!. With the US version from Atari if you just download and install and dont have to reactivte it LET ME KNOW I WOULD BUY THE GAME RIGHT NOW. but if threr download servise if like sprocket forget it I will wait for dvd.

Anybody think the Atari digi download is better than sprocket then ?

Never used Sprocket but when I purchased it online I received a message that I could download it at whim as often as I liked between now and 2 years time. Also it's an easy thing to just copy the downloaded image to a DVD for backup.

As far as activation, someone has mentioned they were able to use the same key they were given for two separate installations, so I doubt that's going to be an issue.

Just wait untill you have to patch and it recquires activation again.

An earlier poster asked why US players didn't download it months ago from UK retailers. I'll answer that one.

By waiting (which has been hell!wink_o.gif to purchase ArmA from US retailers we are ensuring the success of future BIS titles getting released in the US. By spending money on "this side of the pond" the money goes to US retailers who will further invest money into BI's products so we will get to see more titles, add ons etc.

Waiting till tommorow, I prefer to have a good hard copy instead of a download file, had trouble with these things in the past and I'm not about to start again.

US retailers "invest" in BIS?

I think not!

He's talking about investing in shelf space, not stock. biggrin_o.gif

I bought the czech version in december from sprocket but ill be buying the US copy in the future because sprocket is a terrible system and ill get a box to add to my collection =D

US retailers "invest" in BIS?

I think not!

He's talking about investing in shelf space, not stock. biggrin_o.gif

Edited, THanks for clearing that up. whistle.gif