Sign in to follow this  
AsRock+SD

Encripting \Locking missions

Hello All,

I'm after a way to encripting my missions that the game can still read. It was possible with OFP. So is it possible with Arma too ?.

Thank You!!

Hello All,

I'm after a way to encripting my missions that the game can still read. It was possible with OFP. So is it possible with Arma too ?.

Thank You!!

No idea, I didn't know it was possible to. Why would you do that?

I've seen two types, I assume they just hex edited the pbo file.

Evolution - mission.sqm appears corrupt when extracted from pbo.

Debug Console - no files can be extracted from pbo.

Again, I don't think "encrypting" missions is a good idea but it's up to you.

You can use the bin2cpp or binview tools to extract the mission.sqm in Evolution.

Depbo the mission pbo file, then use binview on the mission.sqm and save as text, instead of binary. It's not encrypted, it's just in the raP format, to save on download time.

Cheers,

Axek.

The only reason I can think of that anyone would want to do this would be to keep people from changing the mission to what they want instead of what the maker wanted.

The huge downside and GREAT loss to the community is that great maps like Evolution containing a ton of info people could learn from is lost. Kind selfish if you ask me. Who cares if someone adds respawn to your map?

First thing I do after download is unpbo. Just to check for any scripting and what to expect.

If that should fail, I delete it untested with no reccommandations to my friends.

Missions are the best resource for others to learn from. Why on earth would you want to "protect" it? Sorry, just don't see the point here...

Everyone who creates a mission is free to decide if he wants to protect it from extraction or not. It´s simply his private decision.

Some people have a tendency of unpacking others missions, taking stuff from it and copy/paste into their own ones without asking for permission or even mentioning the initial author of a script in the credits.

It has happened to me aswell as it has happened to a bunch of other mission editors. You download a "new" mission, start it and see your own camintro only with different actors at a different place. If you spent some time on setting up that stuff and making it look and feel great, you simply feel pissed.

Even copy/pasting complete user made installations on a map and inserting them into their own ones just to show off how good they are at setting up scenarios has happened.

Therefore I can understand that people who do not want to see their missions in 100 ripped-off versions will do something to protect their work.

If you want to have something from a mission (script, installation setup, mapdesign), why don´t just ask the mission author ? If you give him credits I´m sure noone will be responding negatively.

For just ripping apart stuff, using scripts without credits, copy/pasting setups and showing off with it as "your" work, I guess that´s simply not the way it should be.

Quote[/b] ]Just to check for any scripting and what to expect.

A mission can be good without scripts aswell. Use of scripts does not guarantee a good mission at all.

Like for myself, I often use hell of strings in OnActivation fields of any kind, just because I don´t feel the need to compile a script for every single thing I want to have to happen. I understand that this makes it a lot harder for extractors to actually find out what is happening when and where and it sometimes even confuses myself when I pick up work on a mission after a longer break, but that´s simply the way it can be done.

Not every mission is meant to be a tutorial.

It's not possible to do this.

You might be able to fool some tools but it's not an encryption in any way.

If you spent some time on setting up that stuff and making it look and feel great, you simply feel pissed.

Id rather take it as a compliment and proof that someone actually liked my stuff. smile_o.gif Nobody is making any profit from it anyway?

A mission can be good without scripts aswell. Use of scripts does not guarantee a good mission at all.

It seems to be quite common that people think "script" means the actual txt file instead of the code. It doesnt matter if the script is in onAct field or in a txt file, its still script.

Get over it Balschiow. The OFP and now ArmA community has always been about sharing knowledge and techniques. And even if certain interest groups accumulated more knowledge you would still be able to benefit from their skills.

Encrypting scripts would introduce a new mindset that would not do any good to the community but only to the ego of the script creator. You need to grow beyond this if this really bothers you biggrin_o.gif

Remember that all this is non-profit work for a small computer game. In case somebody really decides to steal scripts and create a commercial product out of this he would find himself in big trouble very quickly anyway.

Regards,

Victor Farbau

Remember that all this is non-profit work for a small computer game. In case somebody really decides to steal scripts and create a commercial product out of this he would find himself in big trouble very quickly anyway.

Actually, that is not necessarily true. Much of the scripting developed for OFP and ArmA can have a practical application for VBS1/VBS2. The VBSx market is not transparent (certainly not to most of us), so it is unlikely that a member of the community would ever know if his/her scripts were stolen and used in a commercial implementation (by some third party, not by BI/BIA). And if you think that commercial users of VBSx products do not look at and adapt community-originated scripts, guess again. Of course, some are nice enough to ask the original authors, which is why it is important to clearly label your code and pack a readme explaining its usage terms.

However, all this is not something that should cause us to start trying to encrypt scripts. Without the ability to break apart and learn from others' work, virtually none of us would be able to get past hint "Hello World";. Encrypted scripts would be a disaster for the community. Much more important is that scripters and mission designers get into the habit of crediting any previous contributors whose work they are using, or building upon. If, as a community, we spend more time on treating each other with respect and courtesy - rather than trying to build walls of encryption around ourselves - we will get better scripts and happier people.

wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Get over it Balschiow. The OFP and now ArmA community has always been about sharing knowledge and techniques. And even if certain interest groups accumulated more knowledge you would still be able to benefit from their skills.

Encrypting scripts would introduce a new mindset that would not do any good to the community but only to the ego of the script creator. You need to grow beyond this if this really bothers you

I´m not having an issue with the usual approach of unpacking/using stuff from others with the appropriate mention of script origin and credits in readme or notes section.

What I indeed have a problem with are people who copy/paste complete missions or parts of them, add some ripped off scripts and promote them as their work only while they did only very little then stealing others work and trying to get a reputation by doing that. Some of them are even editing the scripts, delete the author lines and insert their own tags and promote it as their own work.

Once you have spent a considerable time implementing stuff, creating new stuff and seing it copied without further comment, even editing out the author disclaimer you maybe understand that not everyone in the community is a respectabe person and I will of course not hesitate to point out those who do abuse the

good sharing spirit of the OFP/Arma com.

There also have been cases where community stuff was used to sell inofficial expansions and campaigns, so I guess following the basics of mentioning the original author should be nothing that should have to be discussed here. It should be natural to give credit to the original authors. If that is not done noone should be surprised if he get´s a mail where the original author asks for either modifying the mission or removing the content.

I think its a bit shallow and maybe even childish to worry about someone using your scripts. Though yes it would be nice if they gave you credit for the script most of the world isn't like that.

I mean Balschoiw you make it sound like you have some major monitary loss or something. Its a game! The sole reason OFP lasted 5 years is due the ability to make new missions and we ALL had to learn to do it. The entire point of mission making is to "Provide Entertianment" for others! If they take one of my scripts and make a mission that others will enjoy, more power to them.

I mean really, its not like you have created some original artwork. Any one could write the same script for their own mission. If they do (Write it themselves) does that mean they owe you credit for writing it first?

Its just a game for us all to have fun with! Lighten up dude!

Quote[/b] ]Get over it Balschiow. The OFP and now ArmA community has always been about sharing knowledge and techniques. And even if certain interest groups accumulated more knowledge you would still be able to benefit from their skills.

Encrypting scripts would introduce a new mindset that would not do any good to the community but only to the ego of the script creator. You need to grow beyond this if this really bothers you

I´m not having an issue with the usual approach of unpacking/using stuff from others with the appropriate mention of script origin and credits in readme or notes section.

What I indeed have a problem with are people who copy/paste complete missions or parts of them, add some ripped off scripts and promote them as their work only while they did only very little then stealing others work and trying to get a reputation by doing that. Some of them are even editing the scripts, delete the author lines and insert their own tags and promote it as their own work.

Once you have spent a considerable time implementing stuff, creating new stuff and seing it copied without further comment, even editing out the author disclaimer you maybe understand that not everyone in the community is a respectabe person and I will of course not hesitate to point out those who do abuse the

There also have been cases where community stuff was used to sell inofficial expansions and campaigns, so I guess following the basics of mentioning the original author should be nothing that should have to be discussed here. It should be natural to give credit to the original authors. If that is not done noone should be surprised if he get´s a mail where the original author asks for either modifying the mission or removing the content.

I totally agree with you Balschoiw.

Copy&Pasting parts of missions or scripts is fine as long as the original author is credited. People who don't credit the author and/or intentionally edit out the author's name from scripts are obviously doing this because they want to make it seem like they wrote it themselves - which is just lame.

Not that I would really care if anyone "stole" any of "my" code (note the quotation marks), but I can understand when people get annoyed by it.

Quote[/b] ]I mean really, its not like you have created some original artwork. Any one could write the same script for their own mission. If they do (Write it themselves) does that mean they owe you credit for writing it first?

I see you never have worked on a mission for about 2 or more months fiddled with all the details and wrote scripts that were made especially for some effects and/or mission design reasons and 2 weeks after release faced a ripped apart copy-version where the author has edited out all original author lines and tried to promote it as his work.

Sorry dude, if you have no idea how complex and work-intense it sometimes is to get things going that were not implemented in the game, you probably will not understand that the original authors often get pissed if even their lines get erased and substituted in scripts.

I have no problem in sharing code or making things public, but the basics of mentioning the original author and/or leaving the script comments alone should be the very basics.

I go totally along with you Balschiow! It's not ok, if people steal the work of others, even small parts, build it into "their" missions and present it as their wortk... Even some popular projects / mission designers did it in the past and doing it nowadays... What's wrong about spending some credits to those people who did the work? mad_o.gif

Where's a moderator when you need one to remind ppl to be civil to eachother? *grins* Seriously, though, can we please refrain from calling others 'childish' simply because there is a difference of opinion? Honestly, if you were having this discussion in RL, would you really say 'get over it' to a net contributor's face? Somehow, I suspect not.

Any scripter or mission designer who releases his/her content online knows it is likely to be edited by others - it is an implicit part of publishing any code. The issue is not re-use, nor even is it about permission (that is another topic entirely, but let's assume most scripts are released with an open-source approach). The issue is basic courtesy and honesty - acknowledgement of original authorship is all that folks like Balschoiw are really asking for. When you consider the hours / days / weeks of effort that goes into some scripts, that does not seem at all unreasonable, right?

I wanted to do this back in the OFP days.

I'm totally for having the ability to LOCK a mission somehow.

Right now the only thing you can do is obfuscate your code once you're ready to release it.

Doolittle

P.S. I'm a Pro-Lifer... but it just occurred to me.. Right now the government (BIS) is deciding for the woman (me) that I must have my baby. I can't decide what I want to do with it. It would be nice to have the CHOICE. Choice is good, right? For example: firefoxlover.gif

I have a question as well.

It might not be 100% the same as what AsRock wanted to know when he opened the topic.

But is there a possibility to prevent the mission you made and host on a server to be used/played/opened by any clients.

With this I mean, people can come to a server, play a mission without downloading it to their computer and even if they get the mission pbo file they cant run the mission on any other server than the original one.

And maybe protect it with a code as well.

Please, I dont want to know this to protect any missions or scripts I make, it has to do with an idea I have in mind for months already, but which actually cant be done right now cause of the clients getting their hands on the mission and being able to share and open it.

Choice is a good thing. I am all for sharing, but it should be by choice and not by force. Granted, lack of encryption isn't really a "forceful" way of ensuring ideas are publicly available. In my opinion, there are other ways to ensure IP rights, but you will need to A) form a company with intent to sell and B) contact BIS for a way to encrypt your missions like BIA does

If you are not willing to do either of those, you really need to ask yourself if it is really necessary.

I can think of alot of reason for this... maybe you've dedicated alot of time and effort into completely original stuff (mission, artwork, music, sounds) that you think you can market to VBS community. Or maybe you are using music and sounds which you got permission for but the requirements for you to use it are to ensure it cannot be "reverse-engineered" from your mission.... I can think of many many more reasons for encryption.

IMO, and we've talked about this before, I say leave everything readily accessible (as normal) but simply include some easy to read usage agreement (none of this long winded legal stuff). Others will say be more strict, but I say it is not worth it in the long run unless you fall into a special situation as above.

If you are worried about theft of ideas only as a traditional editor/user like everyone else, you must remember that this community is very strong minded about theft and it is unlikely anyone will get away with it in this community. Theives tend to get bastardized and "strung up" real quick here.

The problem in my opinion is what constitutes "mine".

Ever since the first de-pbo tool people have ripped bis code and or

configs changed Default to MINE and simply applied a © tag and some // to the top of the script and or config.

The same with odol explore , i have seen blatant copy and paste of sections of original Bis models renamed and again a © added to the read me.

When does code become i.P ?

all scripts are derived (99%) from an original source and simply modified to fit a given/new problem.

The only thing that warrants anykind of "I did This" so please respect my labour of love , In my opinion is some of the mind blowing mathematical equations that have been , born in order to create engine workarounds.

I for one would love to see one piece of original code that was not in cwc/ ofp res and now arma directory in some form or another.

tools are a different subject.

Since some other people have expressed their opinion on the moral subject, here is mine. To me scripts are just means to do something, much like a hammer or screw driver. Sometimes I spend lots of time studying scripts others have made and maybe use that kind of method in one of my maps. Should one of the only sensible ways of achieving something like respawning and getting a gun be credited? Not unless it has some really special features.

I've seen CTF and DM maps that use the exact same systems I use in my own maps, talking about scripts, triggers and weapon parameters. I think most CTF maps out there use the system I made, and I only made one CTF map which is Hexenkessel. I don't mind as long as they don't explicitly claim the scripting work to be theirs as well in the briefing. Even then it's like saying "I made all this with my own tools" when they were borrowed from the neighbour, so that's the whole seriousness of it at its worst.

Hey,

trying to protect your PBO files or mission files by modifying them in a hex editor won't work as long as there are people who know the file formats. So I wouldn't really bother with that... some programmer in some far-away tiny island is going to come and see "A-ha! You flipped that byte over there, and this one over here! I'll just flip them back and that's it!" ...and there you have it, your protection wen't down the toilet faster than you can say "cat".

Don't bother trying to "encrypt" your mission PBO's by editing it in a hex editor, it's not going to be a working solution.

If someone really rips complete missions or addons without giving any credit to original authors then that is quite bad... even worse if for commercial use of course. Make sure you state the license clearly. It doesn't have to be a long text as long as you state clearly what is allowed and what is not.

I'd say, if you are too worried that someone opens your PBO and looks how you did what you did, then don't release anything as you will only be disappointed when you find out that your protection didn't work.

all scripts are derived (99%) from an original source and simply modified to fit a given/new problem.

The only thing that warrants anykind of "I did This" so please respect my labour of love , In my opinion is some of the mind blowing mathematical equations that have been , born in order to create engine workarounds.

I for one would love to see one piece of original code that was not in cwc/ ofp res and now arma directory in some form or another.

Hmm friend I really doubt that is the case... there are a lot of original scripts and functions written for OFP and now for ArmA. How you can say 99 % is modified from existing works or derived from original game content is kind of odd in my opinion... we have documentation for the scripting language if you didn't notice yet wink_o.gif

Best Regards,

Baddo.

Quote[/b] ]Hmm friend I really doubt that is the case... there are a lot of original scripts and functions written for OFP and now for ArmA. How you can say 99 % is modified from existing works or derived from original game content is kind of odd in my opinion... we have documentation for the scripting language if you didn't notice yet

yes 99% is a harsh figure , i overstated to get a point across

what is hould have said 99% of scripts i have seen with ©

in the header are derived from original code and simply have added tags or are modified forms of scripts before them.

99% of scripts with © in the header never say that this script is an original by x and modified by me. This is however done i have seen it.But again i just fail to see how somepeople think by applying someone elses maths to there problem and writing it with different variable names automaticly becomes there i.p.

Quote[/b] ]How you can say 99 % is modified from existing works or derived from original game content is kind of odd in my opinion... we have documentation for the scripting language if you didn't notice yet

hmm you never noticed that in original ofp scripts people knew so little they even left the vvserv in there missions wink_o.gif

people took scripts and modified them as above and called there own. just like now they do with arma campaign and scripts from ca pbo and configs .Theres nothing wrong with it at all.

its nature .

My simple question for which i myself have no answer , is what constitutes a script as being MINE ?

Quote[/b] ]I mean really, its not like you have created some original artwork. Any one could write the same script for their own mission. If they do (Write it themselves) does that mean they owe you credit for writing it first?

I see you never have worked on a mission for about 2 or more months fiddled with all the details and wrote scripts that were made especially for some effects and/or mission design reasons and 2 weeks after release faced a ripped apart copy-version where the author has edited out all original author lines and tried to promote it as his work.

Sorry dude, if you have no idea how complex and work-intense it sometimes is to get things going that were not implemented in the game, you probably will not understand that the original authors often get pissed if even their lines get erased and substituted in scripts.

I have no problem in sharing code or making things public, but the basics of mentioning the original author and/or leaving the script comments alone should be the very basics.

I'm very much in between these 2 points of view.

I have done a bunch of things for the community myself. While I feel it's nice to be credited for something, I'm not about to go throwing a hissy fit if I'm not.

Depending on the nature of the work I've done, I may not even want to be credited at all. Maybe I'm just kinda off. Then again, anyone who puts this much time into making free stuff for all to use is kinda off.

Paying work's different though. If I'm not paid and/or credited for a commercial project I've done something on, I do get a little steamed about that.

Back on topic, I agree with those that say encryption is not possible. There are tools that will always be able to open a pbo, no exceptions. The only thing encoding them does is make it a little harder for the "unwashed masses".

I also agree that true encryption would only hurt the community as a whole.

If someone (bis maybe) did put together a true encryption for pbo files, I would be tempted to release a tool to break it myself. Assuming someone didn't beat me too it. Since that's not something I normally work with, that would be very possible.

@TheElite:

Last I checked, the US govt says 30% or over alteration of code is legally yours. Of course there's a lot of fudge room in there, and arguing the percentage is going to largely come down to who has the better lawyer.