Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

http://gamestar.de/news...._2.html

I only found it on the german gamestar site, there's nothing I found in Codemasters' official press releases. Well, according to these news they plan for a release in 2008. It's designed to be a single- and multiplayer war simulation, the gameplay should feel as realistic as possible. There are different classes one can choose.

edit: Well, the title should say "Operation Flashpoint 2", sorry. If a moderator could edit that, I'd be very glad. Thanks. smile_o.gif

I hate to say it but the screenshot looks damn fine...

Looks more like artwork to me. O.o

Anyways... if they improve the realism then ahwell, i'll buy it.

edit: if it turns into Operation Battlefield count me out i already have that.

Me no likie. Are the Marines actually using all those GRAW-like MOLLE pads yet? And WTF is the bloke on the left toting?

I will say that the background scenery looks feckin' awesome, however.

Good news smile_o.gif Competition is always a good thing.

By the way there is no indication in that article that OFP2 will be a BF type game. It says something like "As you can expect from a Operation Flashpoint, you get a large scale single- and multiplayer war-simulation in a current scenario with that game. The gameplay should be as realistic as possible. A large selection of military disciplines will allow you to find your own role in the battle. The graphic engine will be a shooter-variant of the Neon-engine. Screenshots and videos of Colin McRae Dirt can show you what the engine can handle."

They also say one of their editors has spoken with the programmers and will talk about his impressions tomorrow on GameStar TV.

Good news smile_o.gif Competition is always a good thing.

By the way there is no indication in that article that OFP2 will be a BF type game. It says something like "As you can expect from a Operation Flashpoint, you get a large scale single- and multiplayer war-simulation in a current scenario with that game. The gameplay should be as realistic as possible. A large selection of military disciplines will allow you to find your own role in the battle. The graphic engine will be a shooter-variant of the Neon-engine. Screenshots and videos of Colin McRae Dirt can show you what the engine can handle."

They also say one of their editors has spoken with the programmes and will talk about his impressions tomorrow on GameStar TV.

Oupsie, I misread it and didn't read "Singleplayer". *editing*

Still a long way to 2008. Anything can happen, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it actually will be comparable to OFP and Arma.

I edited the topic name. At first I thought someone had dug up an incredibly old thread biggrin_o.gif

Good news, while I have some issues with the engine used for the game.

Neon engine has been made for Colin Mc Rae series and while it certainly is perfect for vehicle simulation on the ground, dynamic damage and sound model I can not see right now how they want to use it for aircrafts and human units that are present on a map in large amounts at the same time.

I already see a huge loading bar in this game that will make it more or less a corridor shooter as there is no word on streaming terrain and/or mapsizes and unitnumbers supported ingame.

If the game ends up with a maximum of 30 units on the map because the calculations take too much CPU power because of all the shiny effects it will be dead on arrival. On the other hand I don´t see how they want to manage to get all the shiny parts and calculation on a bigscale warsim with hundreds of involved units as it is with ArAs today.

Don´t want to turn down hopes but those are my impressions from what I read on the engine and the Flashpoint2 game.

Quote[/b] ]Neon:

Colin McRae: DIRT is the first game being created using Codemasters Studios’ proprietary engine, Neon. Neon is a game engine thats been in production for over 18 months with over 30 tech experts on the team. Neon is being used to build Colin McRae: DIRT from the ground up with technology developed exclusively for next-generation formats.

Says Gavin Cheshire, Vice President of Codemasters Studios:

“Neon delivers an engine that provides us with so much more scope and possibilities than an update of existing tech would have ever allowed. The most obvious result is in the visual detail and physics that produce incredible particle effects. Neon makes it possible to go into seemingly minute detail but will create the most realistic and involving environments in the racing genre.â€

The detail Neon provides enables the team to model locations and environments as accurately as possible, providing each with a unique look and feel, right down to the effects of the wind. Using real-time physics to model air movements, everything will be affected by the wind: exhaust smoke, trees, foliage, trackside flags, rainfall and the vehicles themselves. A car will create an air rush wake that will have an effect on everything it passes and also generate a real-time slipstream.

Impact from damage will see metal crumple, glass smash and everything that you collide with in the environment will be destroyed in a realistic way. Small trees snap and bend, grass can be flattened, wood will splinter and stone will be smashed, it’ll even wrap a car around a tree if the crash is serious enough.

if it goes like IGI and IGI2 under CM wings ...

you can already forget about it

on other hand i hope CM learned lesson

jajaja , that pic in the fist link is insanely wonderful , BIS hold your pants because we can assist to a war in wich the gamer will be the winner yay.gif

Ever since atari dropped enemy in sight which was supposedly a competitior to arma ,i was gutted because i think Bis need some competition in this genre, I hold no hopes for any cm made product against Bis , if arma and the cm ofp2 came out on same day then bis would have suffered , because arma is aimed at a mainstream audience and codemasters have much more expereince in that field .

But anyway lets hope we as consumers benefit from some good old fashioned competition and i reckon with the beef these two have with eachother we gonna see some nice stuff coming out when and if the competition starts smile_o.gif.

Unless Bis are making this for codemasters then its bad news cause we gonna get the same old release mechanism again .

looks very good I must say - and I agree on the competition being a good thing front.

if they match each other in quality, then for me it will come down to the modding possibilities and amount of 3rd party content available, which obviously ArmA has the time advantage on (assuming the tools are released soon)

Ingame screenshot? I doubt it, Codemasters usually loves to edit theirs. And if so, why is there only one?  xmas_o.gif

I say lets wait and see. Codemasters definetly wants to go the mainstream way since it would pay off better in the end. I dont blame them, thats the obligation they have towards their shareholders.

But what I do blame them for is the marketing campaign. The way in which the article in Gamestar is written I see a very dirty war coming our way. Descripitions such as "the fans of Operation Flashpoint have long waited for a follower, now...." indicate what they are aiming at. Calling our community theirs.

But what I do blame them for is the marketing campaign. The way in which the article in Gamestar is written I see a very dirty war coming our way. Descripitions such as "the fans of Operation Flashpoint have long waited for a follower, now...." indicate what they are aiming at. Calling our community theirs.

Seconded. I don't see too many people discussing OFP over in Codemasters-land. Idiots.

Although the competition is indeed a good thing, I was just thinking that it would be hilarious if the whole game was a total f*ckup BF clone. The community response would put them in their place.

I wonder if this game (hopefully not a mainstreamed title) will have a mission editor or tools otherwise i don't expect long lifetime like OFP. smile_o.gif Certainly will keep an eye on this.

Guest Ti0n3r

I really hope they'll make this game more realistic and more playable than ArmA. Shouldn't be that hard really... But I doubt their focus is on realism, feels more like it's on money wink_o.gif

I put more hope in an Game2 from BIS, than an Operation Flashpoint 2 made by Codemasters.

sidenote:

With released moddingtools for Arma in 2007, i don`t need CodeM`s OFP2 in 2008.

I doubt that it will be released summer 2008. huh.gif

I really hope they'll make this game more realistic and more playable than ArmA. Shouldn't be that hard really... But I doubt their focus is on realism, feels more like it's on money wink_o.gif

I think that you can forget about the more Realistic.

The more playable is a possibility, altough I am afraid that this will also include more limited features and a less editable engine.

You can't have it all i'm afraid.

I still believe BIS will resolve the most concerning performance and gameplay issues. Leave the rest up to Addon and Mod Makers, imo.

Although the competition is indeed a good thing, I was just thinking that it would be hilarious if the whole game was a total f*ckup BF clone. The community response would put them in their place.

Sorry, but don't quite get it ,,, Why? Just because's from Codemasters? If ArmA would be a Codemasters' product I'm sure you all would tear the game (and the company) to shreads, not just to be a moderately critical -you're more dissapointed than critical really- as you're now. Don't you want a new (potentially great) game from this gengre? Indeed, the competition is a good thing, remember, competition raising the quality (and sometimes lowering the prices), so give them a break, and above all the chance, you'll had plenty of time and the oportunity to spit on them later if they fail  wink_o.gif

I really hope they'll make this game more realistic and more playable than ArmA. Shouldn't be that hard really...

Get the fuck outtahere biggrin_o.gif

Sorry, but don't quite get it ,,, Why? Just because's from Codemasters? If ArmA would be a Codemasters' product I'm sure you all would tear the game (and the company) to shreads, not just to be a moderately critical -you're more dissapointed than critical really- as you're now. Don't you want a new (potentially great) game from this gengre? Indeed, the competition is a good thing, remember, competition raising the quality (and sometimes lowering the prices), so give them a break, and above all the chance, you'll had plenty of time and the oportunity to spit on them later if they fail wink_o.gif

No because OFP is a nicheproduct (or "boutique" in marketing terms) and this niche wont be big enough for Codemasters to satisfy its profitability pressure. Especially not with ArmA around. If Codemasters wants to create a game that satisifies their revenue standards then must go out of the niche into the mainstream.