Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

The new videos at least demonstrate there will be a tool like "camera.sqs". Thats good news...

Hmm which video?

Bad news is that I'm feeling a rush of BF2/COD4 1337 15 year old players spoiling the party.

Funny thing is, I've seen kids who are 14/15 years old in the BF2 community capable of using proper grammar/spelling and acting more mature than people in this community which are well above their mid twenties.

The new videos at least demonstrate there will be a tool like "camera.sqs". Thats good news...

Hmm which video?

Bad news is that I'm feeling a rush of BF2/COD4 1337 15 year old players spoiling the party.

Funny thing is, I've seen kids who are 14/15 years old in the BF2 community capable of using proper grammar/spelling and acting more mature than people in this community which are well above their mid twenties.

i think he is talking about ratio, anyway i have also seen mature kids of this kind in a very small number, and they learn their lesson fast

Well, the way the ACOG is close to the camera suggests that the only way to accomplish this is to stick that thing halfway throug your eye wink_o.gif

If the ACOG was in his eye he would be looking down the sights, so it must be just to the right of his eye!

I agree though that the weapon needs to move down a bit so as not to be blocking his peripheral vision.

Don't forget though it is early days yet and like one of the team said they are listening to the community, so a lot of things we see now could change.

I followed all of this sort of thing when ArmA was at this stage! It's quite funny how we kept bashing BIS too for all their early WIP screens and videos!  wink_o.gif

Err, well, the first few minutes is just renders and information. Then everything is pretty much still, the animations are just..well animations. It's just the last minute that can actually counts as ingame footage. Doesn't show that much though.

Still, looking good.

Err, well, the first few minutes is just renders and information. Then everything is pretty much still, the animations are just..well animations. It's just the last minute that can actually counts as ingame footage. Doesn't show that much though.

Still, looking good.

But it's all ingame graphics, like paused ingame.

The presentation was actually 30 minutes long but the guys camera ran out of film before he could film the whole first mission.

I have to say that the AI look extremely smart and apparantly there will be no scripted animations, So if a AI kicks a door down, it would be kicked down because the AI senses somethings in there (or because you order him to) and not because it was scripted, Like COD4 which was heavily Scripted.

Edit : Clive Lindop did say that the Demo at GC had no shaders etc.

Well, roughly 3/4. The lighting does look very nice. The paused ones looked a lot better than the part at the end, with the real gameplay, the vehicles acted a bit wierd for my tastes, but the infantry looked pretty darn cool.

All in all, it's looking pretty cool, lets see what the future brings up.

That was very unimpressive, I'm very disappointed. What's the deal with the GIGANTIC gun obscuring 40% of you FoV? No free aim? No Free view?

It's gameplay from the console version, free aim was disabled for OFP: Elite also if you don't remember. And that's just pre alpha anyways, a lot of stuff will be changed.

ArmA 2 is in the same position and all you have done is criticise.

huh.gif

Edit : Clive Lindop did say that the Demo at GC had no shaders etc.

And still the FPS stutters really badly? Yes it's WIP so the next gameplay vids might look better. I do think it looks pretty good, but has along way to go to becoming what the devs have promised.

Opteryx's points are valid concerns, maybe they'll be fixed smile_o.gif

I'm way more optomistic about OFP2 than i am for ArmAII. What you guys have to remember is that this will be CM first real step into the massively scoped military simulation. BIS have been doing it for around 8 or 9 years.

In all honesty can you say that ArmAII has improved that much in 9 years. Graphically it has improved immensly, but gameplay wise, it's reached it's peak. Still using the same stiff death animations, still has way too many minor faults in the combat effectivness of every AI controlled vehicle.

I'm hopeing beyond hope that OPF2 delivers what it promises. Not to get one over on BIS (though they have stagnated a little too much in those 9 years) but just to give this genre a much needed boost. For me it's all about realism, CM are promising that, BIS have never realy deliverd it in all this time.

What I have seen so far is really impressive! Much more than I would expect at this stage, so I won't be ratting about anything yet! tounge2.gif

@Red Kite

I play COD4 for realism.

Flashpoint for simulation.

I don't want to simulate bodily functions.

Interfacing with the game enviroment is a factor in immersion, a game that is uncomfortable to play, won't get played.

I would hardly call head bob a bodily function! More of a movement simulation IMO. The same way that the tank you are driving passes over obstacles or the car jumps over bumps etc.

On the other hand having the need to stop for a drink every now and then, or to piss or shit and perhaps the occasional urge to scratch your scrotum, or an involuntary violent sneeze and then having the appropriate animations to match … I think would be somewhat more down the lines of simulating bodily functions!  wink_o.gif

That was very unimpressive, I'm very disappointed. What's the deal with the GIGANTIC gun obscuring 40% of you FoV? No free aim? No Free view?

How do you know theres not going to be Free view and Free aim, None of the devs have said anything about that.

How do you know theres not going to be Free view and Free aim, None of the devs have said anything about that.

Did I say that? No.... I was asking because I couldn't see him using any such features.

I'm surprised at the lowish quality of the in game shots, specifically the terrain. It's very heavy on the GRAW style post processing. Totally overpowers the models and the textures.

I realise it's WIP though. Talk of "no shaders" implemented at this stage doesn't sound right. And anyhow, it's not the shading that looks off, the actual model detail itself seems quite low.

To those comparing BIS to CM directly, you need to consider the resources available to BIS compared to CM's "the largest development team ever assembled for a video game" (from an interview with one of the developers a few months back, I'll see if I can find the link). BIS are an independent studio, competing in the toughest market (technologically intensive) for PC games: FPS. I think they've done pretty good so far.

Either way, I look forward to both games.

I'm surprised at the lowish quality of the in game shots, specifically the terrain. It's very heavy on the GRAW style post processing. Totally overpowers the models and the textures.

I realise it's WIP though. Talk of "no shaders" implemented at this stage doesn't sound right. And anyhow, it's not the shading that looks off, the actual poly model detail itself seems quite low.

To those comparing BIS to CM directly, you need to consider the resources available to BIS compared to CM's "the largest development team ever assembled for a video game" (from an interview with one of the developers a few months back, I'll see if I can find the link). BIS are an independent studio, competing in the toughest market (technologically intensive) for PC games: FPS. I think they've done pretty good so far.

Either way, I look forward to both games.

The same scenes as in pics look much more better in this vid, and the graphics do look better than ArmA 2, just watch:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/256748.html

At the near end of that video, the loading of the in game beach scene.......damn that was slow loading the graphics.

The same scenes as in pics look much more better in this vid, and the graphics do look better than ArmA 2

Only in the stills. And well, perhaps there's a reason why the stills are...stills...

[quote name=Rainbow' date='Aug. 23

It's gameplay from the console version, free aim was disabled for OFP: Elite also if you don't remember. And that's just pre alpha anyways, a lot of stuff will be changed.[/quote]

Are you sure it is from the console version, I didn`t hear him say so thats why I ask.

I was very impressed by the video, though mainly due to the good stills from the in-game visuals, the soldiers in the forest and the choppers.

However the in-game sequence that gets played in the end looked a bit less impressive. I`m not slamming it at all since I know it is WIP but it didn`t look as good as the stills.

I really hope we get some slow realistic fluid animations in the game I`m tired of stiff aniamtions they kill a game for me.

(Like Rogue Spear had great fluid animations I think).

Keeping my hopes up that`s for sure.

[quote name=Rainbow' date='Aug. 23

It's gameplay from the console version, free aim was disabled for OFP: Elite also if you don't remember. And that's just pre alpha anyways, a lot of stuff will be changed.[/quote]

Are you sure it is from the console version, I didn`t hear him say so thats why I ask.

I was very impressed by the video, though mainly due to the good stills from the in-game visuals, the soldiers in the forest and the choppers.

However the in-game sequence that gets played in the end looked a bit less impressive. I`m not slamming it at all since I know it is WIP but it didn`t look as good as the stills.

I really hope we get some slow realistic fluid animations in the game I`m tired of stiff aniamtions they kill a game for me.

(Like Rogue Spear had great fluid animations I think).

Keeping my hopes up that`s for sure.

The menu is console menu, and just by looking at the movements of the character you can clearly see it's played with a controller.

Yeah I hope you are right, I guess you are smile_o.gif

Especially since then on PC the movement should be more fluid.

The same scenes as in pics look much more better in this vid, and the graphics do look better than ArmA 2, just watch:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/256748.html

yes it's called CGI or renders.

In general the video looked good cept..runnign with the gun aimed..ugh, well hopefully accuracy falls substantially in that case.