Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

Increased view distance, quite stunning

guerilla @ Mar. 22 2007,16:06)]ah your rig is capable, cool for you, i didn't spoke for your rig, i spoke for the mass and btw, i don't believe you're running it at 1600 on high with 60fps + except in the desert. i've a 6700 & 8800GTX OC compination and its far from being good.

If you like plastic bullet sounds, 20fps, Anim's that keep walking after you stoped, vehicles jumping 100 times like footballs than keep 1.05.

don't get me wrong, i love the game as you do, but if you're just into eye candy, you might just take a walk outside. i just think there are more important thinks than viewdistance right now and if arma would have been made to be used in 1-2 years, it would be dx10 and not in stores yet.

Pentium D 3,4ghz

2GB RAM (dunno which one but since i bought a

complete system i assume it's not top of the notch RAM)

SB Audigy

Win XP SP2

NVIDIA GFORCE 7950 GT KO 512mb

while i had originally a 7500 LE with 512mb vram

i had to replace it with the 7950 since the low end

card wasn't capable of running ArmA smooooothe.

ArmA runs without any glitches at 1280 x 1024 with

everything on high (only shadows are disabled since

i don't need them anyways), and a viewdistance of 1500m.

Worst FPS i get is 38 inside a bush looking thru binocs.

Usually the fps are hanging around 48/50 and note that i

didn't turn off V-SYNC.

I never experienced my man keep walking when releasing

the key for it. I also don't have to alt-tab after a few mins

like many 8800 users have to. No cryptic textures or wrong

lods appearing to me anytime - it just looks and runs bloody

well. smile_o.gif

~S~ CD

The higher viewdistances are very nice.

the key for it.

The sprint animation is pretty long and like all animations in ArmA has to be completed first before you can do something else. Try tabbing your sprint key once and see how far your character will run. As an advancement, pushing your sprint and 'go prone' key in quick succession. In the worst case your character will run for another 3-4 m until he hits the deck. It is hard to judge in combat as it depends if you press prone at the start or end of a sprint animation cycle. Often I run way past my intended cover or end up lying in the field 2m in front of my cover.

The higher viewdistances are very nice.

the key for it.

The sprint animation is pretty long and like all animations in ArmA has to be completed first before you can do something else. Try tabbing your sprint key once and see how far your character will run. As an advancement, pushing your sprint and 'go prone' key in quick succession. In the worst case your character will run for another 3-4 m until he hits the deck. It is hard to judge in combat as it depends if you press prone at the start or end of a sprint animation cycle. Often I run way past my intended cover or end up lying in the field 2m in front of my cover.

Well and what is it then that annoys some of you on this

very realistic feature?

In real life running with full speed and prolly between 20 to 40 kilogram weight you won't stop right there where you start

thinking about it. I'd say you would even run further than

in ArmA.

If i didn't notice what you think is a problem then sorry but

it was just realistic and didn't bother me then.

~S~ CD

Well I wouldn't call diving for the ground and miss for 4 meters realistic. I can do that after all smile_o.gif

It's not that some inertia while running wouldn't be good. The "going from running to ground" animation is pretty well done and indeed needs some space. The problem is that this animation will only kick in at the end of every sprint animation cycle. This means that you can't plan ahead where you will land. If you press prone at the end of a sprint animation you will go down pretty well, but if you do it at the start your character keeps running a couple of meters which is pretty annoying. You simply can't plan it, it is pure luck.

guerilla @ Mar. 22 2007,16:06)]ah your rig is capable, cool for you, i didn't spoke for your rig, i spoke for the mass and btw, i don't believe you're running it at 1600 on high with 60fps + except in the desert. i've a 6700 & 8800GTX OC compination and its far from being good.

Huh?

EVEN with everything set to very high and Multi sample AA I still get 10fps min. I lower terrain detail to low and texture to high (not very high) and get a min 30 FPS. The 8800 GTX can handle everything else HIGH or very high, in fact it seems to prefer it that way. I run at 1600x1024. BAR post process yes even the mighty 8800 is humbled by ARMA if you use post process HIGH and a 10 KM view distance.

IF ARMA does not look fab to you. you need an 8800 GTX and a Duo Core Intel and 2 GIG ram, consider that min spec for it to look VERY SEXY! Last years kit is NOT good enough.

As for the masses, the masses use the xbox 360 and PS3, if your a PC gamer, get upgrading or learn to enjoy ARMA/CRYSIS and ALAN WANKE looking like PS2 titles. Your money your choice.

And if you think ARMA is tough, Alan Wake and Crysis will humble a quad core intel with dual 8800 GTX's. In fact no one will see those games running at 2000+ res with very high eye candy with better than 60 FPS till the 9 series comes out next december!

DX10 is just DX9 with some new effects (which you can mainly view right now on a XBOX 360). And some physics that the gpu can do instead of having a physics card. It will take some time for DX10 titles to show what they can really do Crysis, is just the start.

AMD 4000 SC, EVGA 8800 KO ACS3, XIFI, 2 GIG DDR, so I have no idea why im getting a better FPS than you at 1600x1024!

even my 8800GTS could run almost all things in high with reasonable fps

i have almost the same spec. like dirtylarrygb but i aside from the texture problem(which happens at around 1 hr of gameplay and for some reason i cant ALT+TAB, maybe i push my card too hard?) most things works just fine confused_o.gif

IF ARMA does not look fab to you.  you need an 8800 GTX and a Duo Core Intel and 2 GIG ram, consider that min spec for it to look VERY SEXY!  Last years kit is NOT good enough.

well if you would read my post again, you will see that this is exactly what i'm having "since last year"

well i can run it too at those mentioned settings, but not with 40-50+ fps at all circumstances, mostly i'm getting 20fps. 1280x1024, all normal without post proc. gives me a stable system, my other 10 games are running stable at 99 fps all on high. propally i should start to downgrade , singlecore ? well i for myself could life with it but ... i don't wanna play alone

some body have it works like a dream and some body dont, its thats simple, and we are not talking about the difference between driving a Ferrari and Porsche, its more like driving a honda and suddently it turns into a Ford GT, its what happen when OFP first hit the shore and its more or less like that this time

Well for the people like me that it runs like a "honda" for then of course they are not going to be happy with it, maybe some of the fanboys need to understand that just because it runs nice on their system it does not mean it runs that well on all systems...

banghead.gif

The problem is that this animation will only kick in at the end of every sprint animation cycle. This means that you can't plan ahead where you will land.

You just have to think ahead, I have no problem with that.

Quote[/b] ]

In real life running with full speed and prolly between 20 to 40 kilogram weight you won't stop right there where you start

thinking about it. I'd say you would even run further than

in ArmA.

I love that feature, I would be disappointed if it was different in Arma.

Well for the people like me that it runs like a "honda" for then of course they are not going to be happy with it, maybe some of the fanboys need to understand that just because it runs nice on their system it does not mean it runs that well on all systems...

banghead.gif

yes, and because it runs crap on someone system it does not mean it runs that as such on all systems, call me a fanboy if you like, but there are just notthing could do other then wait for later patch to fix

I have a 7600GT Arma runs well on mine, with ermm... medium.

rofl.gif

My movies come out better as i have a dual core system, but this increased view distance is something worth boasting about.

notworthy.gif

rofl.gif

My movies come out better as i have a dual core system, but this increased view distance is something worth boasting about.

notworthy.gif

I have noticed alot of Dual Core as in Intel users report issues with ARMA.

Some have said a mobo Bios update has fixed things?

I hate to recommend Bio updates but this may be worth looking into for people who have kit that should run ARMA fine and get bad results (If your running Vista though, I'm not sure MOBO bios helps).

I get snarkey over the posts saying "my 486 pc runs arma terrible, but space invaders looks great, this game is buggy" posts.

Crysis is not out yet as EA and Crytek must be working overtime trying to fix many of the same issues as BIH in ARMA.

In another thread Suma pointed out ARMA tests your PC to its limits.

I can run fear, BF2, wow, HL2, Doom3, all over a min 60 fps on my 8000 gtx at high res with SSAA on every setting maxed.

NOT ARMA or Supreme Commander, Turning a few bits off lets me sit at a stable MIN 30+fps or better with almost no slow down. Command and Conquer 3 runs at a very stable 30 FPS.

A few people have claimed high res no lag ARMA on 1 year old PC's but then ommitted to say if it's a very OC'ed Machine.

ARMA is the first game that has made me Overclock my current rig. I have OC'ed my CPU RAM MOBO and 8800 GTX.

Right now no current machine can MAX every AA setting and ARMA setting and no suffer occasional frame lag. Of course BIh could stripe out loads of the GFX. but I prefer they leave them in even add more as time goes by and new hardware will deal with that for us.

rofl.gif

notworthy.gif

I hate to recommend Bio updates but this may be worth looking into for people who have kit that should run ARMA fine and get bad results (If your running Vista though,  I'm not sure MOBO bios helps).

I get snarkey over the posts saying "my 486 pc runs arma terrible,  but space invaders looks great,  this game is buggy" posts.

Crysis is not out yet as EA and Crytek must be working overtime trying to fix many of the same issues as BIH in ARMA.

I can run fear, BF2, wow, HL2, Doom3, all over a min 60 fps on my 8000 gtx at high res with SSAA on every setting maxed.

NOT ARMA or Supreme Commander,  Turning a few bits off lets me sit at a stable MIN 30+fps or better with almost no slow down.  Command and Conquer 3 runs at a very stable 30 FPS.

A few people have claimed high res no lag ARMA on 1 year old PC's but then ommitted to say if it's a very OC'ed Machine.

ARMA is the first game that has made me Overclock my current rig.  I have OC'ed my CPU RAM MOBO and 8800 GTX.

Right now no current machine can MAX every AA setting and ARMA setting and no suffer occasional frame lag.  Of course BIh could stripe out loads of the GFX.  but I prefer they leave them in even add more as time goes by and new hardware will deal with that for us.

Command and Conquer 3 somehow runs very very smooth on my system 50+ maxout (orthrough they seems to limit it to 30 some):hm:

but it gets quite laggy if i have numbrs of units on the field

I've got a 7900GTX and even with viewdistance set to 10km I can't get the viewdistance like in the screenshots and videos. I don't think it's just a 8800 problem.

I've got a 7900GTX and even with viewdistance set to 10km I can't get the viewdistance like in the screenshots and videos. I don't think it's just a 8800 problem.

Are you running the game through the "startbetapatch.bat" file? At 10km it definitely looks like the screenshots to me.

keep in mind that in MP viewdistance is determined by the server...

well the video and screen shots look further then mine set at 10km, didn't dislexic say that he had it set to 4000-6000? which would seem longer viewing than mine on 6km. Anyway love the extra viewdistance i was happy with old VD. This means i can drop it and get better performance :P

rofl.gif

notworthy.gif

I hate to recommend Bio updates but this may be worth looking into for people who have kit that should run ARMA fine and get bad results (If your running Vista though, I'm not sure MOBO bios helps).

I get snarkey over the posts saying "my 486 pc runs arma terrible, but space invaders looks great, this game is buggy" posts.

NOT ARMA or Supreme Commander, Turning a few bits off lets me sit at a stable MIN 30+fps or better with almost no slow down. Command and Conquer 3 runs at a very stable 30 FPS.

ARMA is the first game that has made me Overclock my current rig. I have OC'ed my CPU RAM MOBO and 8800 GTX.

Right now no current machine can MAX every AA setting and ARMA setting and no suffer occasional frame lag. Of course BIh could stripe out loads of the GFX. but I prefer they leave them in even add more as time goes by and new hardware will deal with that for us.

Command and Conquer 3 somehow runs very very smooth on my system 50+ maxout (orthrough they seems to limit it to 30 some):hm:

but it gets quite laggy if i have numbrs of units on the field

C and C 3 is limited to 30 FPS, slow down is your CPU. Same as company of hero's as much as the gpu.

best test of that is supreme commander it can cripple and Oc'ed quad core. Some of the new RTS games are pushing the CPU boundaries. ARMA is currently pushing the GPU ones.

keep in mind that in MP viewdistance is determined by the server...

Good post!

i get an error if i start betapatch.

securom tells me there is no CD/DVD.

of course there isnt. my copy is from morphicon. anybpdy else get this??

i;; try searching i guess

well that was a waste of time.

i get an error if i start betapatch.

securom tells me there is no CD/DVD.

of course there isnt. my copy is from morphicon. anybpdy else get this??

i;; try searching i guess

well that was a waste of time.

This is an odd thing to put in the viewdistance topic.. did you try the troubleshooting forum?

whoops. kinda reallllly tired! like the REALLy tired with the eyes that cant stay open...and ya keep waking up going "im at the computer???"

the veiwdistance fix is IN the betapatch...which wont start. somehow my brain jsut associated it to this thread.

thx..ill try to cautiously meander over there. im waking up a tiny bit

banghead.gif