Sign in to follow this  

Dual Core users/And others/Resolution in Sight?

Like to throw this out here, I certainly feel its warranted.

Like alot of you folks, Ive seen a large number of Dual Core users experiencing some pretty significant performance losses due to patch 1.05, and, of course, aside from this, alot of people in general as well.

Im a little concerned, right now Im running 1.02, during a true mission with stuff *actually* going on, im getting average of 25 -35 fps, losing much more than this would render the game unacceptable for me. My concern is, that particular changes that have been made in 1.05 are never reversed, leaving certain *modern* computer users with the option of either staying with an old buggy patch, and not being able to online nor being able to play certain missions that may clash with the version, or downloading the patch and play with lag (forever).

Honestly, id like to know what Bis's intentions are regarding the next patch, if I am to wait for 2 months to see another patch come out that still may lag out my Duo C system, or will things have changed...

Guess I dont expect a reply from Bis, I just would like to see sometime in the very near future, a little (or alot) of information from them regarding what is going to be addressed in regards to these serious performance drops due to the patch, primarily so I know wether or not Im going to be able to continue to enjoy this game as I have in the future.

I prolly wouldnt have bothered posting this if some more info in regards to this stuff being addressed had been explained by Bis, I myself would have thought by now, like some thread would have come up, a good few posts from Bis in regards to all of this being focused on and fixed, but have only seen a few posts, with little info, leaving me to wonder if some of us (including duo core users) may eventually be left in the dust...

Nice Thread and Approach m8... Altough I have very minimal problems, actually nearly none, I still believe that performance for me can be a lot better, but especially for others can be improved.

It would be really great to receive some official news from Maruk etc about this smile_o.gif Altough as far as I know, they are constantly updating and fixing, and will do so for quite a while. This still leaves us with a little information-blackhole of coarse, and as such I can only support the question for some more info biggrin_o.gif

setting arma.exe to use 1 core worked fine but i still had to lower my settings

What makes you think that the drop in performance is related to the CPU? To me, that loss is clearly on the GPU side of things. How do I know? Well, whenever my framerate drops significantly I look up at the sky and boom, the framerate shoots up again. Now, the CPU would still have to calculate all the goings-on around me regardless of where I look at any particular moment, the graphics card, however does not have much to render when looking straigt up, so to me that is a clear indication that the graphics renderer is the culprit here, wouldn't you agree?

I think the main purpose of this thread is not to discuss the problems, but to ask for some info from BIS...

It's probably up them that can give the proper answers of causes and possible fixes etc :P But shoot me if im wrong

I think the main purpose of this thread is not to discuss the problems, but to ask for some info from BIS...

It's probably up them that can give the proper answers of causes and possible fixes etc :P  But shoot me if im wrong

The thread is called "Dual core users....", the problem with framerate loss is imo caused by the GPU not the CPU, so the only logical info BIS could give is: "There is no problem with using Dual Cores, you just asked the wrong question" wink_o.gif

I am not aware of any specific change in the ArmA code which could cause performance on Dual core CPUs worse (or better for that matter) in 1.05 compared to any previous versions.

The thread is called "Dual core users....", the problem with framerate loss is imo caused by the GPU not the CPU, so the only logical info BIS could give is: "There is no problem with using Dual Cores, you just asked the wrong question"  wink_o.gif

Roger, but I think there were particularly slow downs found on dual-core cpu systems which did not exist on single core systems, but like I said - im having the least of problems myself smile_o.gif ... Suma answered in the meantime, im loving it inlove.gif

I don't think it's the dual core, makes no real difference setting affinity to 1 CPU for me FPS still bobs around 20-30, my shocking performance is due to me having an 8800gtx, mates got a 7900 series card and get way better FPS than me on same system, so it's more GPU dependant.

I got an 8800GTS on a dual core Core 2 Duo and all runs perfectly for me, with all settings on high except AA on low.

I am not aware of any specific change in the ArmA code which could cause performance on Dual core CPUs worse (or better for that matter) in 1.05 compared to any previous versions.

My own performance has improved. E6600 & Nvidia 7900. Must be another issue people are experiencing.

My house has 3 X2s and they run the game beautifully/

Nforce 5

3 gigs RAM

7900GT

7900GT

--Ben

I have a 8800 and a Intel DUO and have noticed problems since the patch.

BIS have you got any idea's what might be causing the problems since the patch?

i got an duo 6700 - 8800GTX - 2Gb Corsair Ram. First i had big problems and CTD all the times, later i found out my ram's were not compatible with my board after cryed on every arma forum, now it runs fine, well, with alota foliage (Trees & bushes) the fps goes down to 15-20. i think its pretty alota work to rework the engine for some duo user's as it works without but on the other hand CSS and some other developer already started to optimize their engines for duo cores

I suffered at bad performance drop from 104 to 105. I have to play at 1024x768 now, as opposed to 1280x1024. Not good at all.

System in sig.

I'm not sure if this is widely known.. but i've learned of a way to flush out the system's memory using a command line.

Basically you create a new shortcut and insert this in the target line:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

It shld look sth like this.

clearmem.jpg

Click on OK and rename the shortcut to sth like "Clear memory".

I did this after not being so happy that alt-tabbing after a few times would not do anything to the texture loss. After clicking on this (alt-tabbed to desktop first) i found that my fps improved much higher than just alt-tabbing.

.. but after a while you gotta click on it again to flush the memory when the game starts to act up.

Not sure if it'll work on most people but just throwing it out there.

I thank you for the response Suma

I did try to make this thread not focus only towards Dual Core users (hence thread name (DualCoreUsers/And others/) - but Ive certainly noticed a large number of dual core users experiencing problems, maybe theres just alot of them out there, but still, Ive noticed a number of threads indicating switching to one core to gain performance *since* the 1.05 patch, ive gained fps since 1.02 by forcing both cores on, so this concerned me.

Dual Core users aside, there is certainly something wrong, various people have posted their opinions as to what it may be causing systems performance loss due to the new patch - I mean it couldnt be any clearer if people are getting good fps on 1.02/1.04 then 1.05 people are posting alover indicating slow downs - even slide shows.

I have no clue what it is, im not super puter savvy, Im just saying in this topic what everyone else has been saying, and would like to ask if theres any direction towards addressing these new issues that have arisen since 1.05 patch smile_o.gif

Also not trying to push, Imho, I could care less if its 2 months to the next patch that may address these issues, just like to hear something is indeed going to be done. Heck, I know the score like everyone else here, this is a great game, but it also has taken alot of time on some (me) users part to get puters optimized to run it/ downloading language deciferrers/ even time consumption in just getting a copy, and still being willing to deal with bugs in the game, personally, when a patch brings up all these posts revealing problems, the dead silence in response to these issues arising is what kills me.

Well for myself and another player i had to disable the cpu 0 to make the game run smooth for both of us.

my specs and his are different

mine: i got a little sluggishness after the patch with the same cfg

pent d 3.2

bfg 7800gs

1 gig

his: was unplayable with any settings we tried before we disabled cpu 0, after disabling it he could run on the average settings others use to have a playable experience

c2duo 2.8

nvidia 7600

2 gigs of ram

I'm sure something is worse now for the dual core users, mabey not all (as with most of the problems surounding this game) but I know for a fact im not alone.

I also get the texture issue but only after hours of play and on the mp mission "free ortega" (i love this mission). After destroying all kinds of shit all over the map i sorta expect it.

(I'm an idiot, misread a post, sorry. But the statement, even though not relevant, is a good pesty post. So I'll leave it biggrin_o.gif ) Really, BIS did just get the 1.05 out.  Let them absorb the responses and noodle a bit before we all start asking about the 1.XX patch.  I'm sure they have a level of satisfaction they are working for, and I for one am not worried of that level being lower than mine.  smile_o.gif

Looks to me like an Intel problem and maybe more specifically an Intel+Nvidia problem. I don't see as many AMD complaints. There could be issues with compatibility. Maybe Intel's implementation is different from AMD's.

I think BIS is going to need alot more info if they are going to ac on this.

--Ben

PS: There are no firewalls, Anti-Virus or other processes running is there?

There is tons more I could say but I don't want to over do it. The average user of this forum probably lost me after the word "choice" on line 1 of my rant.

Please continue, i havn't laughed this much in ages...

Looks to me like an Intel problem and maybe more specifically an Intel+Nvidia problem.

Core 2 duo and nvidia 7900gt here, and no issues. Performance is exactly the same as in 1.04, aside from the grass layer. Remove it, and both versions have the same framerate. 1.05 seems to do better wit LOD textures for me too.

I know it isn't helpful for someone with problems to hear that, but it underscores that there is no simple solution. If there really is a problem (not placebo effect or people not knowing about grass layer) it probably isn't as simple as picking out a processor/gpu combo. Well, maybe the geforce 8800, those seem to be rather borken wink_o.gif

Core 2 duo and 7950 GTX over here and no problems so far concerning performance (drop) between 1.04 and 1.05.

Monk.