Sign in to follow this  
walker

ArmA 505 Europe Release + US Publisher

So far I'm getting a bit impatient with the lack of official information for the US developer and release date. Rumor is Atari and May, but I just want to make sure.

My birthday is on the 18th and I have to decide which version to ask for very soon. confused_o.gif

Is there any news on the Special/Collector's Edition from the 505 Release? I can't seem to find it easily here, maybe the TS needs a small section for it? :P

Rumor is Atari

well, good luck with that. i remember Boiling Point, from another eastern european developer. the developer put a lot of work in a 200+ MB patch and reportedly sent it to Atari. Atari US never released said patch.

luckily, the UK patch worked with the US version of the game - but Atari sucked big time.

Is there any news on the Special/Collector's Edition from the 505 Release? I can't seem to find it easily here, maybe the TS needs a small section for it? :P

nothing as far as i can see... perhaps the idea was canned

So who is making that damn Wiki with all the important points and answers said and asked in these threads? It would save the same ppl, and new ppl to face the same discussion over and over smile_o.gif Every page of this thread looks the same, the same ideas, the same opinions, the same guessing, the same of it in maybe slightly different words, every page..

Link this to the other threads about the subject, and you probably have over 40 pages saying all the same...

Place it in a wiki, link to it when somebody asks about it. ("Already been said", "Already been asked", "Already been told", "Already been guessed" ...).

And in the mean time we can have some fun  pistols.gif

Hi all

The Major thing about the anoucement of the US release of Armed Assault by Atari is that it confirms their will be more support by BIS.

The 505 release and standardisation of the Czech and German versions to the same level should give us the equivalent of OFP 1.4~ or better stability and features.

I would expect the May release of the US version to bring us to the same level of stability and function as 1.9~ in OFP terms.

If you project the number of interations released it shows BIS have been working amazingly hard for us and will have condensed the 3 or 4 years of iterations in OFP in to less than 1 year for ArmA.

In the end it looks like BIS will have suceeded and exceeded what it promissed in the begining for ArmA in less than a year.

Just some thoughts

Kind Regards walker

Hey, if they indeed shortened the process hopefully they get some linux server version out before summer as well.

I am sorry for repeating myself,but even tho nobody really cares there are a couple of server-communities that can do squat-all to provide some MP fun to the community until that linux-server gets out.

of course, there are also companies that would never have released a game in the state ArmA was/is in, and also support their games for years; Blizzard, Ensemble, id Software etc.

those are the kind of companies that should be a glowing example of how to handle this business.

They are also companies that have financial resources way beyond what average game developer has. I was beta tester for latest World of Warcraft expansion and hadn't Blizzard told Vivendi "screw Christmas, we can't make it" it would've been in horrible shape at originally planned December release date. And there are still plenty of game stopping bugs left that were reported way way back in beta...

Not too many developers can tell their publishers to postpone things after most important sales period of year.

Why in the world would they change the name of the game for the US release??

That makes no sense to me!!

US Release info

Was probably Atari's decision. Now Americans are going to have not clue where the word 'ArmA' comes from. And to them the 2 capital 'A's will look stupid.

Is it not politically correct to talk about an armed assault when there are American troops involved in the game, as the main playable side? First thing which came to my mind is that the name had to be softened so no one will get the impression that the American troops in the game are committing an assault but an "operation" instead.

I don't know. But that's one possibility.

@ Potatomasher:

You should have asked if the new patch will be published before American release.

Seriously: Patch 1.05 is expected after the 505-release but before the end of February. It is speculated that this delay is meant to satisfy 505 as they advertise certain "exclusive" features. The delay grants them one or two weeks of exclusivity before Czech and German versions can be patched to the same level.

@ Potatomasher:

You should have asked if the new patch will be published before American release.

Seriously: Patch 1.05 is expected after the 505-release but before the end of February. It is speculated that this delay is meant to satisfy 505 as they advertise certain "exclusive" features. The delay grants them one or two weeks of exclusivity before Czech and German versions can be patched to the same level.

If you're right, that's really bad news. sad_o.gif

Last time i played ArmA was around christmas. I have waited patch since then. It's just not playable in state it is now. Guess it was stupid thing to buy german D/L version.

Well we'll see...

So somebody admiting in this thread that the game is unplayable for him.

Well, sickboy to the rescue?

So somebody admiting in this thread that the game is unplayable for him.

Well, sickboy to the rescue?

I little exaggerated that "unplayble".

It is playable even now, but not the way i see finished product should be. etc. Flickering textures. That really kills the atmosphere completely.

Anyways enough offtopic. There's million threads about these issues allready.

I'll just wait some more.

I don't know about the full version but the demo 1.03.5116 is definitely very playable for me, I have enjoyed playing the coop mission. Some annoyances and bugs encountered, yes but not often enough to disturb me. Could be better but definitely not unplayable. And I run it on a very low-spec system.

of course, there are also companies that would never have released a game in the state ArmA was/is in, and also support their games for years; Blizzard, Ensemble, id Software etc.

those are the kind of companies that should be a glowing example of how to handle this business.

They are also companies that have financial resources way beyond what average game developer has. I was beta tester for latest World of Warcraft expansion and hadn't Blizzard told Vivendi "screw Christmas, we can't make it" it would've been in horrible shape at originally planned December release date. And there are still plenty of game stopping bugs left that were reported way way back in beta...

Not too many developers can tell their publishers to postpone things after most important sales period of year.

you're right. but the least you can expect from any company is that they don't make the same mistakes twice. i just cannot believe that ArmA has some of the very same bugs and problems that OpF had in the beginning. have they forgotten everything they put in the OpF patches? do we have to go through the whole patching marathon again?

i like ArmA - a lot. but it bothers me that a company makes the same mistakes all over again.

Potatomasher..

I had the German download version and found I wasnt playing it due to bugs..

I emailed the publisher asking politely for a refund.. I got the refund a couple of days ago (about a week after I requested it).

Just return the game and wait for the UK release..

Thats what Im waitin for now... smile_o.gif

#C

i am gonna be pissed as hell if i don't get a patch and they have it. it's ridiculous to not have it if it's already ready at the said time. i payed for a DL version, AND a german retail version, why should they get preference?

Why did you pay for two? huh.gif

It's not BIS' problem that you couldn't be patient.

I for one can't wait for Friday to come biggrin_o.gif

(Just like everyone else who wanted a hard copy, I waited, playing the demo until the release)

I got both as well, mostly because yes I am impatient but I'd probably loose my hard copy in a matter of weeks.

As for this, its great news!

Why in the world would they change the name of the game for the US release??

That makes no sense to me!!

US Release info

Was probably Atari's decision. Now Americans are going to have not clue where the word 'ArmA' comes from. And to them the 2 capital 'A's will look stupid.

Not for us diehard US fans who have had the game since Nov  nener.gif Can't wait to get a US version an wander oh I wander what extras will get (if any) like they did with the German an Czeck releases.

An TG it's not being published by that other ... publisher. Think it's cool they went with a longstandin publisher thats been around for awhile.

It will suck a little if we don't get the patch for a while if the UK version comes with it, but as long as I get it before the end of this month, I'll be happy.

I agree with you Call911 (if you're talking about the publisher I think you're talking about), I'm glad they went with Atari instead of .... EA...