Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Ask a moderator about the forum and the rules

To my opinion it should simply be moderated to 2 Threads:

- Things loved in ArmA

- Things hated in ArmA

Plain, simple, 2 threads, where ppl can spill their Happyness or Grief.

The idea actually is good, however like Messiah already said the problem are the ignorant, or should I say - blind - people which think their issue needs it's own topic instead of using an existing one. We seen that happen a lot in the past.

Besides that, what is good to one person may be extremely bad to another, which would causes these two threads to become entangled rather quickly (two topics going on similar lines of "You're wrong", "No, you're wrong").

It would either need constant moderating or common decency and sense (rather unlikely on an internet forum amongst certain individuals...)

Besides that, what is good to one person may be extremely bad to another, which would causes these two threads to become entangled rather quickly (two topics going on similar lines of "You're wrong", "No, you're wrong").

It would either need constant moderating or common decency and sense (rather unlikely on an internet forum amongst certain individuals...)

If the bickering stays contained in these two threads, however, at the very least it will give the rest of us two threads to avoid.

I don't know about you, but before I suggested the addon request thread, it was a pain in the arse going through the Addons and Mods forum, thinking that people were working on something and having it only be a request. Now for the most part, I avoid the request thread, and the forum isn't littered with posts that add no value.

Just my two cents. I really hope you guys implement this idea. smile_o.gif

Abs

I don't know about you, but before I suggested the addon request thread, it was a pain in the arse going through the Addons and Mods forum, thinking that people were working on something and having it only be a request. Now for the most part, I avoid the request thread, and the forum isn't littered with posts that add no value.

Well of course, the Addon Request thread does provide a central point for all requests, but unfortunatly most people end up in it after having had their own thread(s) closed by a moderator, with the hint of posting it in the dedicated thread. Most people just either don't see stickied topics or think their problem forms an exception to the rule.

But yeah, if it can provide a quick solution for moderators to contain the bickering to a few threads, even by closing threads and redirecting to dedicated ones, then it should be implemented.

...unfortunatly most people end up in it after having had their own thread(s) closed by a moderator, with the hint of posting it in the dedicated thread.

I disagree. If you take a look at the number of posts in the Addon Request Thread and compare it to the number of posts that have been made because people missed the said thread, you'll see that the numbers are nowhere near equal. The effectiveness of the Addon Request Thread can not be disputed. wink_o.gif

It's just one more reason to limit the griping and praising to one thread each.

Abs

Thank you W0lle for your great answer! What would be the process from this point onwards? The idea gets evaluated by the Mods/Admins etc, or is there something on our parts we can/must do?

These two topics should be sticky ones then and there's the other problem as we have already six stickies in ArmA-General.

Speaking of which, does the NO SPOILERS-NIC NEPROZRAZOVAT-KEINE INHALTSANGABEN thread really need to be stickied anymore now that the game is released world wide?

Same thing with the Patch 1.05 Mirrors & Torrents sticky. We are at 1.07 after all.

wink_o.gif Now you've got room for two new sticky threads...

Abs

These two topics should be sticky ones then and there's the other problem as we have already six stickies in ArmA-General.

Speaking of which, does the NO SPOILERS-NIC NEPROZRAZOVAT-KEINE INHALTSANGABEN thread really need to be stickied anymore now that the game is released world wide?

Same thing with the Patch 1.05 Mirrors & Torrents sticky. We are at 1.07 after all.

wink_o.gif Now you've got room for two new sticky threads...

Abs

1.05 is the latest official patch for the european release.

I was going to say, I'm not touching a beta patch with a barge pole - 1.05 is perfectly fine with me till a full patch is released

Sheesh, make one mistake and the critics are all over ya whistle.gif

Just kidding...you'll forgive this Canadian for not knowing where the Europeans stand on their patches. wink_o.gif

Abs

The game has been out for less than a month in the US.

It will remain stickied for another month.

Thank you W0lle for your great answer! What would be the process from this point onwards? The idea gets evaluated by the Mods/Admins etc, or is there something on our parts we can/must do?

We're currently evaluating it. wink_o.gif

The game has been out for less than a month in the US.

It will remain stickied for another month.

I was about to ask you the same, which is answered now. smile_o.gif

could you open the Arma modelling section?

Sure.

Quote[/b] ]btw: the name of the section should be:

Arma: modelling not arma: 02 modelling.

It should be Arma: O2 modelling because its BIS' program that forum is intended for. However, you are allowed to discuss usage/issues of similar programs made by the community (non-commercial).

Quote[/b] ]btw: the name of the section should be:

Arma: modelling not arma: 02 modelling.

It should be Arma: O2 modelling because its BIS' program that forum is intended for. However, you are allowed to discuss usage/issues of similar programs made by the community (non-commercial).

Where should we discuss programs that can do more than just make models for ArmA? (and other programs not specifically designed for ArmA, but used for modding it)

Off-Topic? (doesn't sound right, since it is still about modding ArmA)

Dedicated topics? ( [3D Studio MAX] Armed Assault Modding, [Modo] Armed Assault Modding, etc)

Where should we discuss programs that can do more than just make models for ArmA? (and other programs not specifically designed for ArmA, but used for modding it)

Off-Topic? (doesn't sound right, since it is still about modding ArmA)

Dedicated topics? ( [3D Studio MAX] Armed Assault Modding, [Modo] Armed Assault Modding, etc)

I didnt think about that. Yes, 3d studio and such when related to arma modelling also go in the same forum.

I dont see how this situation is any different from OFP and this has never been a issue before as far as I know.

I dont see how this situation is any different from OFP

Well, since you were specifically naming the section "Arma: O2 modelling", and posting in the wrong section is frowned upon wink_o.gif

I dont see how this situation is any different from OFP

Well, since you were specifically naming the section "Arma: O2 modelling", and posting in the wrong section is frowned upon wink_o.gif

Well somewhere along the line you need to use O2 to convert the model to *.p3d right? If you are having a problem with another modeling program then there are better forums to go to.

I think Madmatt is spot on. There is nothing keeping you from asking about other modelling programs in relation to Arma modding in the O2 modelling section, but like Madmatt says, there are other forums out there that are better suited.

ok, I've never posted in here and never really look in here either as I never really cared about how moderators run this place, but this post just dumbfounded me.

from here Stuff you are working on?

"Ok now...

If the next post in here isn't about a WIP project (with ANY kind of image) I will close this thread."

Now why would anyone close a topic and ruin the whole thing for everyone rather than just delete the stupid posts, punish the offender and carry on?

I'll ask this as a general question.

Why aren't stupid, silly, pointless posts just deleted? Or are they? I only frequent a few other boards, mostly sports related, and I've never seen any board ran the way this one is. If this were real life I would be talking to some guy, he or another person would punch me, I shove him and I get arrested. I can't see the logic behind the above thead closure threat, nor how 90% of trolls/flamebaiters are coddled here.

Personally speaking, I would much rather punish individual offenders that close a useful topic, but as past history has shown, sometimes trying to be "fair" can be wholly ineffectual. Sometimes it takes something as drastic as locking a popular thread to get through to some people.

Not to mention that locking a thread is a lot less time consuming than weeding out useless posts and applying individual punishments, and as we mods are volunteers, we don't always have an abundance of time anyway.

But either way, we get complaints. Believe it it or not, a lot of members pester us to lock threads that they think have gone too far down the path of spam or that they personally disagree with it.

In general, it will take a fair effort from troublemakers and those to lazy to post properly before we lock a decent thread. As always, if you disagree with a decision to lock a particular thread, you are free to PM a moderator(s) to rethink the decision.

Quote[/b] ]We're currently evaluating it. wink_o.gif
Wicked Job w0lle and all involved; Finally 2 simple threads for ppls joy and un-joy, thanks!

Not to mention that locking a thread is a lot less time consuming than weeding out useless posts and applying individual punishments, and as we mods are volunteers, we don't always have an abundance of time anyway.

There is the answer right there. The easiest solution is the one being used. It's easy to know right off the bat which topics need babysitting and which don't. Not sure why I'm even bothering with this as I highly doubt my opinion would sway anyone, but I've been here seemingly forever and never felt the need to post the comments I've been posting lately, my previous post here included. I'm not saying anyone is doing a bad job, but the logic to some of the moderating decisions still don't make sense to me. I also can't believe the "ban stick" isn't used liberally enough for people who are clearly trolls or agitators, but then again if it were up to me half the persistent "bitch and moaners" here would have been gone ages ago. Fostering a level of discontent is one thing, allowing it to ruin people's experience here is another. Recently I couldn't go into ONE thread without seeing one to two people bring up the same "complaints" over and over in almost every single topic. Didn't matter what it was about, it would get twisted to these people's singular agenda to bitch and moan.

I'm as easygoing as you can get, but I may as well just skip this place for another 6 months until it calms down. Right now it's an exercise in frustration trying to maintain composure.

It's like they just opened the asylum and gave them all a computer, ARMA and this link.

It's like they just opened the asylum and gave them all a computer, ARMA and this link.

I second that...and hopefully the ArmA is just disappointing thread can be used successfully enough to lower the bitching level on these forums. confused_o.gif

Abs

There is the answer right there. The easiest solution is the one being used. It's easy to know right off the bat which topics need babysitting and which don't. Not sure why I'm even bothering with this as I highly doubt my opinion would sway anyone, but I've been here seemingly forever and never felt the need to post the comments I've been posting lately, my previous post here included. I'm not saying anyone is doing a bad job, but the logic to some of the moderating decisions still don't make sense to me. I also can't believe the "ban stick" isn't used liberally enough for people who are clearly trolls or agitators, but then again if it were up to me half the persistent "bitch and moaners" here would have been gone ages ago. Fostering a level of discontent is one thing, allowing it to ruin people's experience here is another. Recently I couldn't go into ONE thread without seeing one to two people bring up the same "complaints" over and over in almost every single topic. Didn't matter what it was about, it would get twisted to these people's singular agenda to bitch and moan.

I'm as easygoing as you can get, but I may as well just skip this place for another 6 months until it calms down. Right now it's an exercise in frustration trying to maintain composure.

To answer briefly but as concisely as possible.

This is a matter we as Moderators are trying to tackle. It can be very subjective as some guests are better at trolling than others, by masquerading their said posts as a replies to others.

As we have said before we are not in the business of just banning people. But you are correct, some guests here clearly have one agenda or goal.

We are gradually weeding out the offenders, but it does take time, especially when trying to be as fair as possible, that coupled with trying to avoid making mistakes.