Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

Lost-World Returns

and big ugly Insect flying around ? (lot of oxygen in that times in air = bigger bugs wink_o.gif ...

Yeah but JP plays in the present :P

Never mind, there will be two annoying "bug" species from the Upper Carboniferous/Lower Permian

Yeah but JP plays in the present :P

Never mind, there will be two annoying "bug" species from the Upper Carboniferous/Lower Permian

well if you would manage to clone a sauropod today do you think the amount of oxegyn in the air today would make it possible for it to even stand up?

Believe me, it would stand up.

The oxygen in the Jurassic was just a little bit higher than today.

The great time of the bugs where in the Upper Carboniferous/Lower Permian, with o2 far over 30%.

It was then 50 million before the first dinosaur and then about 40 million years before the first sauropods whistle.gif

looks scarry to swim in those waters crazy_o.gif

Not really, Leedsichthys problematicus was a plankton

feeder, like Rhyncodon typus today.

The one in that screenshot is presumably a juvenile, they are

estimated to have been at least 60 feet long.

A juvenile? No, this beast is even bigger than 60 feet. It just looks small cause of the 3D view and the water.

Well, a better pic to show you the dimensions:

leedsin9.jpg

Thats no megalodon...its a shark!

<span style='font-size:4pt;line-height:100%'>I know that its a megalodon</span>

Thats no megalodon...its a shark!

<span style='font-size:-13pt;line-height:100%'>I know that its a megalodon</span>

for no missunderstandings to me made

Pretty awesome beast you have there! thumbs-up.gif

I think this is one of the coolest mod's around. The mod rocked in ofp, can't wait to see it in ArmA! smile_o.gif

WIP on our Megalodon

We're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat

chief_brody.jpg

Great work, can't wait to see the first creatures in ArmA!

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

Nice to see the fish...

...we do need some that can be hunted though (as well as the megalodon to explain the lack of swimming animations for the dinosaurs...)

I would humbly suggest that work is focused on more varied animations (drinking, grooming, avoiding objects) for three or four generic classes of animals (ie. large and medium herbivores, large and small predators) over the total number of models.

At the very least we need one hindging point in the animations (and scripts to run it) so that we can have herbivores bend to go around objects or face predators and flexible necks on the predators themselves.

That said I am very happy to see the various models and will happily support and enjoy everything that you guys do.

You're emphasising Deinonychus' size. Aren't you making

Utahraptors, then? They were over twice as big as

Deinonychus.

According to wikipedia- and I'm not claiming that it is gospel, but it is a good launch-off point for your own study (if that's what you want to do)- Deinonychus was about 3 meters long and weighed about 175 lbs on average. This would make their average height to be about waist height on an adult human. Velociraptor was about the size of a turkey, and Utah raptor was about the height of an ostriche and weighed as much as a hippopotamus. Because of fossil finds of related creatures in asia, it's postulated that the dinosaurs of this family were covered in feathers. It is also speculated that due to their foot-to-lower-leg ratio, they were not particularly fast. They were certainly not as fast as modern, flightless birds.

All of this according to wikipedia. If these suppositions intrigue you or inspire you to get closer to the latest theories than the Jurrasic Park movie, have at it!

I should like to add that I have always been impressed by the models that have come out of this project. Very good work.

Quote[/b] ]Utah raptor was about the height of an ostriche and weighed as much as a hippopotamus

ummmm... are you shure about that? a hippopotamus weights from 1,5 to 3 tones crazy_o.gif

Deinonychus was about 3 meters long and weighed about 175 lbs on average.

The weight issue is still pretty much a matter of taste. As a matter of fact 'half as much' and 'twice as much' seem to be the normal range in estimates.

I suppose the comparison with flightless birds takes into account size (or does it just compare with the Ostrich and Emu)? If it does correct for size a cockroach can average a good 300kph...

Quote[/b] ]They were certainly not as fast as modern, flightless birds.

They were slower then hens wow_o.gif ?

tounge2.gif Nah, jokling. Well look at us human. Compared to the rest of out body our legs are pretty long. And we are slow as hell. A hippo with their short legs can outrun us easely. But bushmen doesn't hunt down their preys by out running them. They follow them the entire day and then kill the prey when it collapses on the ground and then kills them. According to BBC's walking with dinos their short legs made them pretty fast but they weren't able to follow their prey for very long.

Not saying that this is gospel either but these are two different throries and untill somebody clones a dinosaur or invent some sort of DNA creator or make's an incredible animatronic dinosaur nothing's confirmed icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes I do sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about tounge2.gif

I havn't studied this area so why should I be icon_rolleyes.gif