Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

First person vehicle views

Sorry if there is a topic already devoted to this (didn't see anything on the last 3-4 pages of this forum) but...

One of the things that really annoy me in this game are the first person views of most of the vehicles. It's hard to explain, so here's some pics:

In the Humvee, the view is tolerable as the driver (I've driven Humvees and that's pretty much what you see) but in the passenger seat why the hell am I looking UP so much? I have to use the numpad look keys to center it to where it should be.

goodbadgood.gif

I would add more but I'm about to go out the door, incidentally to a place with military vehicles so maybe I'll bring my camera and take some pics of what you actually see when in the drivers/gunners seats...

If this post is in the wrong place, I kindly request one of the fine members of the excellent moderating staff to merge it with a suitable existing topic. Thanks smile_o.gif

Well thats no major bug but... we should be able to choose our seats inside the vehicles?

Like if you aproach the left back door you should obviously sit in the left back seat, not in the front passenger seat.. same with the other vehicles confused_o.gif .

I don't get the image you posted. What's 'good' or 'bad' ? I mean as long as you're not in the UK where the steers are on the wrong side of the cockpit, the driver is just positioned fine as it is ? lol

No complaints - I find the view much better than OFP for some reason. Also the passengers can use the double Alt key to look around easy.

The guys I play with turn off 3rd person view. It make the job a little harder.

as long as you're not in the UK where the steers are on the wrong side of the cockpit,

UK, and over 160 other countries.

BD's thing is because of the anims, the passanger is sitting straight so its view is higher while the driver slightly bends over the stearing wheel...

I think it has to do more with the far left position the driver finds themselves in. And the fact in the other "bad" image you see as much roof as exterior. smile_o.gif

Concerning the roof: You can adjust your view by pressing freelook - tilting your head up or down - and locking freelook again.

Concerning the 'sitting too much left' thing - uh not really a biggy. I can drive just fine. There's a gazillion other issues regarding the views/positions in several vehicles as of now which bug me more. ( e.g. the insufficient driver view in the Stryker as mentioned in another thread )

Additionally, I think the cockpit textures ( especially instruments ) of some vehicles are quite neat, while others plainly suck balls. I hope the un-cough-finished ones will be improved one day.

This view issue is solved when using TrackIR. Now I know not everyone has TrackIR, but maybe this is another reason to consider using it?

The roof thing, IMHO is really just a zoom issue, not tilt. A touch more zoom and the problem is solved. Being too far left makes the roof pillar obstruct the view when turning that way (much like the cross brace for the windscreen in the blackhawk when traveling forward, but that's probably for another thread wink_o.gif )

as long as you're not in the UK where the steers are on the wrong side of the cockpit,

Don't know why...the Americans did invent the mechanical

vehicle.

Guest RKSL-Rock

vehicle.

No they didnt. The first 'vehicles' were made in UK, Germany and France. As for American firsts, Henry Ford just made mass production practical.

vehicle.

No they didnt.  The first 'vehicles' were made in UK, Germany and France. As for American firsts, Henry Ford just made mass production practical.

I think only one country can be the 'first'.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html

If its an American Army with an American Jeep, then it only seems normal to have the Driver seat on that side -_- Besides, i usually drive in 3rd person view anyway.

Its Humvee,not a jeep for crying out loud.

And the gripe isn't about wether or not the steering wheel is on left or right,but moreso about the position in which people are looking and their height inside of the vehicle.

1. As xnodunitx explained, I'm primarily complaining about the passenger's default view in the hummer.

2. It is an issue of tilt, not zoom.

3. I have TrackIR and regret buying it - it is too unnatural for me as I move my head all the time while playing games.

4. I don't want to have to use the numpad to tilt my view every time. I use the numpad to look around while in the vehicle and I like to be able to press "5" to recenter it exactly where it needs to be.

5. blah

Left Alt view works still, in fact 2x Left Alt does the same thing as Num_* by toggling freelook.

I can understand genuine complaint about the position of the viewpoint (height above seat) since you can't change that at all, but once you get in a vehicle (especially if not driving) the fact that the default angle is a bit off is small potatoes. You don't even need freelook to alter that view and you should be mousing around so much anyway that you'd hardly ever notice.

I mean, look at his sig! Hippocracy in the making tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]4. I don't want to have to use the numpad to tilt my view every time. I use the numpad to look around while in the vehicle and I like to be able to press "5" to recenter it exactly where it needs to be.

This is a weird way to play. Every time I get in a HMMWV I do three things:

1. Press Num_* to turn on freelook.

2. Set mouse to where I'm going

3. Drive with keyboard

Using the numpad to look around.. hmm well, special?

not really that odd. the keys give a quick clear cut change of view.

sometimes using the mouse to move your view in the humvee has a kind of drunken effect. - your head feels a bit erm, like your on drugs, its all a bit sloppy, like your head has momentum (yeah i know in real life your head has weight, but move your head about and youll see your muscles stop it from being like it is in the game)

:-)

personally i drive with the mouse once im moving in my rough direction of intended travel, as the keys are horrid at speed.

Well thats no major bug but... we should be able to choose our seats inside the vehicles?

Like if you aproach the left back door you should obviously sit in the left back seat, not in the front passenger seat.. same with the other vehicles confused_o.gif .

This is one thing I totally agree with. BIS please add this ASAP... wink_o.gif

Yea BIS, forget about fixing crashes, bugs, AI and so on and add a feature so we can choose which seat to get into in vehicles, some of us prefer the view from specific seats. It is very important for a military simulation to let you choose specific passenger seats.

That was sarcasm by the way tounge2.gif .

I think it's a question of titlting your mouse, not a bug fix. Something someone could create as a mod, 'Shotgun mod' or 'wife mod' maybe.

Just use free look and readjust. It will hold whatever angle you like.

BTW I just remapped for left alt free look.

Yea BIS, forget about fixing crashes, bugs, AI and so on and add a feature so we can choose which seat to get into in vehicles, some of us prefer the view from specific seats. It is very important for a military simulation to let you choose specific passenger seats.

Well, its a small improvement that i personally expected, atleast i find it weird to sit in the front passenger seat of a 5T/Ural when i got in thru the back, or sit in the co-pilot seat of a blackhawk when i was supposed to ride in the back... or have 4 guys board the MH6 side benches from the exact same spot.

Yes i think it could/should have been improved and no i dont think it will be now.

I think it would be awesomely powerful if you could simply move your head position in x,y,z inside the vehicles, both directly and dynamically through key presses and of course TrackIR, but also to adjust your preferred default head position and zoom level for each vehicle. The dynamical changes would allow a pilot to look down more steeply from a cockpit, or a passenger to look horizontally through the side window of a hummer... or even upwards whistle.gif

And it would solve this kind of problem in one go and add something spectacular at the same time inlove.gif