Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Dedicated Server Beta available

Sometimes, when under load (around 30-40 players), dedicated server stops answering on status queries (php). Anyone experienced this problem? If it will be confirmed, then it should be added to bugs list. Also, it uses CPU a lot even when there are 1-5 players, is it normal?

Very cool. Glad to hear this is up. I may have to look into getting a U.S. server up, unfortunatly my server pc is from the stone age.. Does anyone have or have plans on created a North American dedicated server?

I've tried to run the server on linux under wine, and I'm getting an error message:

"A required security module cannot be activated.

This program cannot be executed (8008).

@Suma

Is this your will? Or is it a "bug" in this early version?

I have a old computer with a 2.7ghz processor and 512mb mem. I've read that the requirements are windows xp or above for the dedicated server software. This machine only has (dont laugh) win98se. I used it for OFP server and it runs fine for that.

Is it possible to run ArmA dedicated on win98? I'm tryin to save up some cash to build a new computer to play ArmA on and I cant build a new computer for gaming and build a new server too sad_o.gif . It would be great if I could get the older one to run a dedicated for some of us here in the US.

Can the server handle addons somehow? For noobs the biggest problem is to download all the addons people make like they had nothing better to do - in OFP it was hard to play any online game without first downloading 5 GB of addons and mods.

Quote[/b] ]Name: ArmAInteractive Server #1

IP: 64.34.162.111

Port: 2302

Server Type:

Dual AMD Opteron 265 (Dual Core) Processors(4 CPUs)

2GB PC3200 Registered ECC Memory

100Mbit dedicated port

Server Load:

Map: 06: Seize the Base (Coop 20)

# of conneections: 15

Island: Sara

Wed Dec 13 17:57:54 +0100 2006

Mem FP Usage: 112,544K

CPU (1): 25%

Networking 2.5% of 100mbps

We plan on loading this beast up within the next couple days, i will report more then

i wouldnt really call that a beast for arma when u cant use all 4 cpu's on it. and what use is 4 cpu's on a single theaded game. you gonna need to lock arma to one cpu. you gonna have big lag probs if you run it on all 4 cpu's lol

Quote[/b] ]Name: ArmAInteractive Server #1

IP:  64.34.162.111

Port: 2302

Server Type:

Dual AMD Opteron 265 (Dual Core) Processors(4 CPUs)

2GB PC3200 Registered ECC Memory

100Mbit dedicated port

Server Load:  

Map:  06: Seize the Base (Coop 20)  

# of conneections: 15  

Island:  Sara  

Wed Dec 13 17:57:54 +0100 2006

Mem FP Usage:  112,544K

CPU (1):  25%

Networking 2.5% of 100mbps

We plan on loading this beast up within the next couple days, i will report more then

i wouldnt really call that a beast for arma when u cant use all 4 cpu's on it. and what use is 4 cpu's on a single theaded game. you gonna need to lock arma to one cpu. you gonna have big lag probs if you run it on all 4 cpu's lol

be awesome for distributed apps though

seti

folding@home

etc

etc

Quote[/b] ]If people can give us some data feedback that would be very useful, cpu load, mem usage, numbers of people etc. etc.

Would you like the reports in this thread, or at the BIS WIKI?

Most of all we are interested in dumps from any server crashes. If you have some, send them to us for analysis. Most important is the bidmp file, but mdmp and rpt can contain usefull additional information as well.

No server crashes yet, but will .zip all 3 up daily/weekly and send them over to BIS from SuicidESquad.co.uk server if that will help?

Well server crashes are almost totally gone, compared to the early days, so nothing to report so far, although we have kept the dedicated server passworded for now, until the auto start of map has hopefully been sorted/stopped in next patch.

Server load has never exceeded 70% on our p4 3.0Ghz HT, mem usage seems to max @ 400mb, depending on map and amount of players.

Still getting lots of client crashes though

the 4IB Dedicated server is currently hosting a public version of the game. We have a good amount of COOP maps in place as well as the vanilla maps. The server is based out of Virginia. Where at in virginia? NFC- But I'm stationed in Groton, CT and I experience about a 30ms ping. If you are overseas you can expect an 80ms+ ping.

209.160.64.222:2301

I'll take this chance to also announce that this saturday (16th of DEC) 4IB will be hosting a MOUT Joint Training/Exercise. If your interested in coming fill out a "Visitor Form" on our website, or send me an email to raynor(AT)lohikaarme.org.

The event will start at 1500 EST and end at 1700. You can view a time schedule on our forums for more details.

Still getting lots of client crashes though

It was mentioned a couple of times that maps that start near the water cause this problem usually.

Pretty weird, as Fierce Dogs starts near the water and we nearly never had client crashes...

Still, I did a basic test... build a mission and place the start location near the water, get in game and voila, crash crash crash.... Then, not changing ANYTHING else, EXCEPT the insertion position... like 800-1200m away from the sea, and NO more client crashes... Well, "no more" isn't really true, as ArmA of coarse still got some bugs here and there causing crashes, but at least not the casual "Nearly Every minute, at least 1 client goes down" biggrin_o.gif

(...) build a mission and place the start location near the water, get in game and voila, crash crash crash.... Then, not changing ANYTHING else, EXCEPT the insertion position... like 800-1200m away from the sea, and NO more client crashes... (...) 

In another thread:

Ill give my quick 2 cent, as im going in like 5 mins.

I crash instantly in LAN using hamachi

I also crash alot in MP games randomly too, i noticed it happens when the mission starts or ends with water or boats  confused_o.gif

My version is the German Morphicon Downloaded.

System specs:

AMD X2 Duel Core 4200+

Nvdia 7800 256MB

2GB Ram

That can explain a lot.  Plus the reason im delaying the release of my next mission. Ive never had so many "beta testing" for so long... My guys at SES are starting to get fed up with the testing, because they can never play more than 5 minutes...

Now "Fierce Dogs" did start near water but on the small island, thats the only thing it changed. Plus the players tend to rapidily move inland. Thats not happening on my next mission hence the big ammount of player crashes. The server doesnt, weird...

Roger... I know what you mean with the beta testing...

I actually try to split it up... have some beta tests ready while others are playing the game, then quickly do a little test, and save the results, and go back to normal play while im using the results to further debug... etc..

Anyway... for now I guess it was just important that we figured out what the cause was.... I haven't really found a real workaround, only a fake one... simply not making insertions near the water lol...

But anyway... I personally am of opinion that temporary working around this problem by NOT doing water insertions, or just cutting that part out for now and doing a normal land insertion..  "Beta version"..., for now just must do...

Simply when it's fixed by BIS or another proper workaround has been found, you can insert that part of the mission and play the mission as it is supposed to be, but that's all a point of opinion and how you make missions and how you look at it ...

but what about the addons? will the client automaticly download all required addons from the server? If not, online game will be again limited to the most hard core fans which is not good for the future of the game at all

but what about the addons? will the client automaticly download all required addons from the server? If not, online game will be again limited to the most hard core fans which is not good for the future of the game at all

Yep, that's still the case, quite logically especially since ArmA addons will probably be at least twice the size of OFP Addons (My best guess).

There will be many missions etc playable without addons, and otherwise you can setup proper publications of which addons you use and share that to ppl that wish to play on your server.

If you pack them together in an easy installer, then you don't need such hardcore fans anymore btw wink_o.gif

There might be coming out an Armawatch with automatic addon downloading etc from an external source, as there was for OFP, at least it would be a good idea to give a go smile_o.gif

i have a question to BIS. Can you tell me how much bandwidth a month a server would use roughly. im thinking of building a server and found a cheap colocation that gives 340gigs per month free and would cost another Å15 a month for another 340gigs

just wondering would an arma server use more then 340gigs a month?

doesn't that depend upon how mnay players are on it and how much it is used?

i think what u really want to know is the BW per player, i think mal worked it out for OFP to about 28Kb/s per player

so u need to work out how mnay players for how many seconds to get your rough total

on ded. Server when Signatur verify is activated, we got kicked form the Servers, the Server wants to compare the ca.pbo from the campagin , but there are not on the Servers.

if wi turn of this feature it works fine everyone can join and play.

Quote[/b] ]on ded. Server when Signatur verify is activated, we got kicked form the Servers, the Server wants to compare the ca.pbo from the campagin , but there are not on the Servers.

if wi turn of this feature it works fine everyone can join and play

Just tried that as well same problem.

Would language pack flag that up?

Quote[/b] ]i think what u really want to know is the BW per player, i think mal worked it out for OFP to about 28Kb/s per player

so u need to work out how mnay players for how many seconds to get your rough total

hmm guess i need more bandwidth then with server gonna be playing cti map with join in progress and people building stuff like ai's which use up bandwidth.

my current server is Linux: Opteron 146, 1gb ram, 100mbit unlimited traffic but hosting a cti arma server i think im gonna need a bigger cpu but just wanted to know what sort of bandwidth is arma exspected to use with max players and also what is arma max output on bandwidth? ofp was like 4.5mb max?

guess i should be asking this in another thead lol

Quote[/b] ]

hmm guess i need more bandwidth then with server gonna be playing cti map with join in progress and people building stuff like ai's which  use up bandwidth.

my current server is Linux: Opteron 146, 1gb ram, 100mbit unlimited traffic but hosting a cti arma server i think im gonna need a bigger cpu but just wanted to know what sort of bandwidth is arma exspected to use with max players and also what is arma max output on bandwidth? ofp was like 4.5mb max?

Hi,

on [LOL]Circus (1.02) playing maps with 40-50 players (and lots of AI) we're seeing an average of 3.5 Mbits/sec with peaks of 5 Mbits/sec.

The ArmA netcode seems to have been optimised and is more efficient than the old OFP stack.

HTH

wombat

--

[LOL] "Send in the clowns..."

http://www.nakedsquid..com

anyone got netlog working yet?

i started another thread about but nothing, figured i might as well post in here as well

I have a question .

Im trying to configure my sqad server. When i run the Dedicated exe, the server is showing up under the Computer name, not the host name I specified in the Config file. is that a bug or do you still need to rename the server ?

second thing is the server only shows one map ( a custom one I uploaded ) but no other maps, even though no maps were specified in the config file. The Maps are there - emplty slots but you click them it classes it as a vote for the map. Any ideas of the cause?

Third and final thing. When the voting takes place for a map, the map wont actually start. it counts down from 60, then the couyntdown restarts at 60 again. Server is sert so it only needs 1 vote.

thanks.

Did you make sure to run the -config=server.cfg in the command line? Are you sure you have the syntax of the entries correct?

Config @ Commandline as follows.

Command line :-

C:\Games\ArmA\ArmA_Server.exe -config=server.config

Config file :-

passwordAdmin = ""; // password to protect admin access

hostname="*16AAB* Public ARMA Server";

motd[]=

{

"Welcome to the 16 Air Assault Brigade ARMA server.",

"16 AAB are currently recruiting for ARMA visit www.16AAB.org.uk .",

"Be trained the UK Forces way. Dont delay,join Today !!!!.",

}; // Welcome message

motdInterval=5;

Maxplayers=100;

voteThreshold=0.10;

reportingIP="master.gamespy.com";

voteMissionPlayers=1;

checkfiles[]={"HWTL\dta\data3d.pbo","dta\data3d.pbo"}; //list of files to check for identity

kickduplicate=1; // do not allow duplicate id

equalModRequired=1; // require equal mod

you need to use

C:\Games\ArmA\ArmA_Server.exe -config=server.cfg

not

C:\Games\ArmA\ArmA_Server.exe -config=server.config

*.config file extension would not be recognized by the OS.

Cheers