Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Dedicated Server Beta available

Totally awesome yay.giffirefoxlover.gif BIS

fixing:

Totally AWEFULL...

absolutly unuseable with AI .

AI team don't get out of chopper, or sometime they do , but while chopper is flying @ 30 meter in air .

lol. 10th attempt.

7CTD confused_o.gif

AI working fine on our server .. in fact they seem more more skilled than they did before the deddy app. Not sure what mission you have loaded, but try one that perhaps a "skilled" mission maker has made.

BIS: No AI bugs to report yet. All seems to be working as expected. Again .. great job!

Hi,

New Beta code now stable (no crashes) for the last 24 hours on [LOL]Circus.

The only strange bug was when two players controlled the same soldier in game. We could both take turn to fire and use all the controls. At first I thought my keyboard was driven by a ghost!

CPU load is low even with five players and a few vehicles the average seems to be below 25%. Memory usage is also low but more interesting reports will follow once we have some matches with 20 players.

Someone was asking about DM/COOP/CTF: Circus will be running all of the above for a while until the new [LOL] maps are ready to play.

Thanks Again to BIS!

wombat

--

[LOL] "Send in the clowns..."

http://www.nakedsquid..com

Does anyone know if locality issues with cavalry based forces has been fixed in multiplayer yet?

Eg: In ofp and Arma (at least with the non-dedi server) a player controlling the infantry part of a mechanised squad could not order his ai teammates to disembark an APC which was controlled by another player. The only way around this was to eject all ai while the APC was moving slowly using 6.1

Also, in a multiplayer session, we experienced another bug, however, this didn't exist in ofp. Players commanding a tank which is under the overall command of a Player Tank Platoon Leader, are not able to control their tank with their movement keys whatsoever.

Hope these get fixed soon, as in my opinion these are very serious bugs which render cavalry missions unplayable, or at the very best turning them into an FAQ session spent on teaching or learning 'How to get your ai out'.

thanyou BIS, it seems very stable so far.

Now we need the client side CTD's and the 'youve encountered a problem' crashes fixed wink_o.gif

One thing that bugs me is that the mission files are locked when the server is running. I sometimes do a quick update of a mission and then connect to the server to delete the old one and upload the new one. But while the server is running, the mission file cannot be deleted and I have to shut down the Arma server to do so. I've even made sure the mission file isn't the one loaded on the server, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

have got the server exe running and all seems to be fine but i was just wondering, if the readme was right or not

Quote[/b] ]Performance tuning

There are also some parameters that can be used to fine-tune network performance. You can add following entries to Flashpoint.cfg (the main Flashpoint configuration file):

is it still called flashpoint.cfg?

also even after i login as admin and choose veteran and a map i still get 3rd person view, is there something i missed?

do i need to get the game running and alter the vet mode or can it be done in the server config and if it can how do i do it?

will the line cadetMode=0 work for all missions if i just add that?

i got a question about the amount of player slots.

I got a dedi. server and it comes up as 65 slots witch i feel is overkill since i will run coop and 20 slots would be enough. is there a way to limit the slots??

I've tried to run the server on linux under wine, and I'm getting an error message:

"A required security module cannot be activated.

This program cannot be executed (8008).

Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=module&c=8008 for further, more detailed information."

Are you sure you're using the newly released executables from the top of this thread?

Are you sure you're using the newly released executables from the top of this thread?

Yes, it's the only ArmA server executable available so far.

have got the server exe running and all seems to be fine but i was just wondering, if the readme was right or not
Quote[/b] ]Performance tuning

There are also some parameters that can be used to fine-tune network performance. You can add following entries to Flashpoint.cfg (the main Flashpoint configuration file):

is it still called flashpoint.cfg?

also even after i login as admin and choose veteran and a map i still get 3rd person view, is there something i missed?

do i need to get the game running and alter the vet mode or can it be done in the server config and if it can how do i do it?

will the line cadetMode=0 work for all missions if i just add that?

The readme is a beta too biggrin_o.gif AFAIK, The Performance tuning entries go into the ArmA.cfg file located in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\ArmA folder.

Someone can correct me if Ive got that wrong huh.gif

Quote by =DI=Viking

Quote[/b] ]i got a question about the amount of player slots.

I got a dedi. server and it comes up as 65 slots witch i feel is overkill since i will run coop and 20 slots would be enough. is there a way to limit the slots??

The amount of slots (max players) is stipulated in the server.cfg file which you will need to create with notepad, and put into the \ArmA folder with the dedicated server file.

server.cfg example

Quote[/b] ]password=password;

passwordAdmin=password;

hostname=My ArmA Server;

Maxplayers=11; // this will appear as 12 players

Motd[]={"Welcome to My ArmA Server"};

motdInterval=4;

reportingIP=207.38.11.34;

voteThreshold=0.33;

voteMissionPlayers=3;

kickduplicate=1;

equalModRequired=1;

Edit the server shortcut with the following switches to load the server.cfg file.

ArmA_Server.exe -config=Server.cfg -port=2302

Further options for the server.cfg and other dedicated server commands etc. are in the DSAdmin.rft file supplied with the dedicated server executable.

Quote[/b] ]And also how do you make a server run permanently on veteran mode?

Maybe try starting the game normally and set the difficulty options for cadet and vet the same, then exit and run the dedicated server?? Worth a try maybe, until someone has sussed out if there is an entry that can be added to any of the *cfg files.

Cheers

Hi All,

Quote[/b] ]Most of all we are interested in dumps from any server crashes. If you have some, send them to us for analysis. Most important is the bidmp file, but mdmp and rpt can contain usefull additional information as well.

Beta dedicated server had its first crash tonight after loading new maps on to the server. There was no screen prompt to Debug and Dr Watson did not "detect" the event. There was just a lack of the beta dedicated server process when I remotely connected to the server...

Dump files have been sent; I hope that they prove useful.

wombat

--

- Clients are randomly crashing to desktop

(windows suggesting bug repport)

This was not an issue when using the "-server" on client software.

- All missions are locked, while server is running

(denying clients to update their missions via ftp)

+ Server is stable

Quote[/b] ]Can BIS/Someone please confirm where the server performance tuning parameters go?

ArmA.cfg, <Username>.ArmAProfile.cfg or server.cfg?

yes the performance settings go in the arma.cfg which is the same as the flashpoint.cfg where the settings went for ofp.

without these settings server bandwidth will just drop and drop then desync. seen many servers laging already due to low bandwidwth with 10vs10 or under. guess them servers not runing any performance settings...

Was hoping to test my Linux server with 100mbit unlimited traffic but i cant get the exe to start up using wine so looks like i have to wait awhile for the linux dedicated exe or just get windows installed but will cost :@

Quote[/b] ]And also how do you make a server run permanently on veteran mode?

Maybe try starting the game normally and set the difficulty options for cadet and vet the same, then exit and run the dedicated server?? Worth a try maybe, until someone has sussed out if there is an entry that can be added to any of the *cfg files.

Try to find the entry in the user.cfg if it already exists in ArmA... Should be located somewhere in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\ArmA, too.

But not sure...

the user.cfg doesn't exist if u run a dedicated server, i don't know to many dedicated servers sitting in air conditioned rooms that run dx9 graphics cards, with dx9c installed, so u can't start the "game" to alter the vet and cadet modes.

as a dedi server it just sits there and pumps info back and forth, not like hosting a game from your household PC which needs a GFX card to pump out all the info for u to see on the screen.

i installed the game on our server, DL'd the dedi server beta and that was it. the game never even got booted up, the dedi server.exe runs and it accesses the various PBO's on the HD. so i can't enter the game and alter vet/cadet mode to turn off ghey 3rd person.

Yes, it's the only ArmA server executable available so far.

Which version of wine/distro are you using? I've tried running it with Ubuntu and wine 0.9.27, but wine just exists without reporting any errors.

Hello!

I am an admin of the one of Operation Flashpoint servers. And I really was disappointed that the ArmA dedicated server has no changes in comparison with Operation Flashpoint server.

It is very inconvenient to use it.

Why there is no a remote control without entering the server? Sometimes it is very big problem to connect the server and logining. Users should select a new admin after my login and logout.

Why there is no a console? It is very inconvenient too. For example, if I write in the chat " #login my_pass", it will be shown to all users and I need to change it.

I don't have full ftp access to server and it is very problematic for me, and for other admins.

One more problem. Why there is no gags(ban for chat)? Some people using very much obscene language. I think, it is wrong to ban they for it. But if I have a ban for chat, I can order it.

Why there is no IP bans? It must be!! ID may be changed easily using special cheaters programs. And I need to ban users remotly, becouse it is problematic to connect the ftp and edit the ban.txt file.

Please, realise all these things!!!

Sorry for my bad english sad_o.gif

Which version of wine/distro are you using? I've tried running it with Ubuntu and wine 0.9.27, but wine just exists without reporting any errors.

I've used Debian, and tried wine 20050310 (Debian package) as well as wine 0.9.25 (downloaded from winehq and built). Both give the same error window.

Does anyone know how to lock only one side with password in the mission (for example RAS team?)

Hi,

- All missions are locked, while server is running

(denying clients to update their missions via ftp)

although it is a shame that you can no longer overwrite/delete mission files whilst the dedicated server process is running, the main benefit seems to be that all the maps are checked when the server first starts and any corrupted files are flagged on the console.

NB. The server process fails to start if bad mission files are present at startup time.

This is actually a big help as the server admin can be reasonably sure that the newly uploaded mission files have not been corrupted during the file transfer process without having to manually load each map from the ArmA game client.

Just my 2ds worth

wombat

--

the user.cfg doesn't exist if u run a dedicated server, i don't know to many dedicated servers sitting in air conditioned rooms that run dx9 graphics cards, with dx9c installed, so u can't start the "game" to alter the vet and cadet modes.

as a dedi server it just sits there and pumps info back and forth, not like hosting a game from your household PC which needs a GFX card to pump out all the info for u to see on the screen.

i installed the game on our server, DL'd the dedi server beta and that was it. the game never even got booted up, the dedi server.exe runs and it accesses the various PBO's on the HD. so i can't enter the game and alter vet/cadet mode to turn off ghey 3rd person.

Sorry point taken regarding co-located or hosted server solutions.

Here is an example server.ArmAProfile.cfg with cadet mode settings mirroring the default vet mode settings, have you tried sticking a profile in folder with the ArmA.cfg file to see if the server picks it up? I noticed that when I ran the dedicated file after making a syntax error in the profile.cfg it reported the problem when booting, suggests that the dedicated server will read the profile if its present. Worth a try I suppose.

Code Sample

Quote[/b] ]version=1;

blood=2;

viewDistance=1200;

terrainGrid=25.000000;

volumeCD=7;

volumeFX=7;

volumeSpeech=7;

singleVoice=0;

playerVoice=0;

gamma=1.000000;

brightness=1.000000;

fovTop=0.750000;

fovLeft=1.000000;

uiTopLeftX=0.000000;

uiTopLeftY=0.000000;

uiBottomRightX=1.000000;

uiBottomRightY=1.000000;

sceneComplexity=200000.000000;

shadingQuality=3;

shadowQuality=2;

soundEnableEAX=1;

soundEnableHW=0;

anisoFilter=0;

TexQuality=0;

postFX=0;

useWBuffer=0;

class Difficulties

{

class regular

{

class Flags

{

Armor=0;

FriendlyTag=0;

EnemyTag=1;

HUD=1;

HUDPerm=0;

HUDWp=1;

HUDWpPerm=1;

AutoSpot=0;

Map=0;

WeaponCursor=1;

AutoGuideAT=0;

ClockIndicator=1;

3rdPersonView=1;

Tracers=1;

UltraAI=0;

AutoAim=0;

UnlimitedSaves=0;

};

skillFriendly=0.850000;

skillEnemy=0.850000;

precisionFriendly=0.850000;

precisionEnemy=0.850000;

};

class veteran

{

class Flags

{

HUD=1;

HUDWp=1;

HUDWpPerm=1;

WeaponCursor=1;

ClockIndicator=1;

3rdPersonView=1;

Tracers=1;

UltraAI=0;

};

skillFriendly=0.850000;

skillEnemy=0.850000;

precisionFriendly=0.850000;

precisionEnemy=0.850000;

};

};

showTitles=1;

showRadio=1;

Cheers

so u think that if i add

Quote[/b] ]class veteran

{

class Flags

{

HUD=1;

HUDWp=1;

HUDWpPerm=1;

WeaponCursor=1;

ClockIndicator=1;

3rdPersonView=0;

Tracers=1;

UltraAI=0;

};

to the arma.cfg, that should disable 3rd view in vet mode???

I was thinking cut n paste code sample above and create a server.ArmAProfile.cfg file, and drop it into the same folder as your arma.cfg file. The reason I suggest this is because, when I made a typo in the armaprofile.cfg then ran the dedicated server it prompted a warning regarding the error, which would indicate that the server uses the armaprofile.cfg. You could try it into the Arma.cfg though too I suppose.

Hope that works for ya.

Cheers

Lets assume you login and run your ArmA server on Administrator***

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\

2. Create a directory call "ArmA"

3. Copy your *.ArmAProfile" from your client [where you have set the Cadet/Veteran" settings].

4. Rename this file as Administrator.ArmAProfile

Now, if you are just double clicking on the new server file all should be good. If you are using Fire Daemon [like I am] be sure to setup the service to run the Dedicated Server as "Administrator". Fire Daemon by default uses "Local System" as the rights, which when ran in this mode will never see a *.ArmAProfile.

Hope that helps!

*** If you do not run in as adminstrator, just use the proper login name to find the right C:\Documents and Settings\ area and the proper name for the *.ArmAProfile file.

Note, if you login has spaces the login name, the profile name has to be formated like this: I%20Have%20Spaces%20.ArmAProfile = C:\Documents and Settings\I Have Spaces\