Sign in to follow this  
l etranger

Can ai strafe or move backward ?

From all the vids i saw, i am wondering about the AI motion. I never saw it strafing, running while strafing or going backward, like human players does.

It seem the AI only turn and go forward like in OFP. I hope i m wrong or it will be/has been fixed. It feel pretty unnatural to see someone which you are shooting at, to stand, turn on himself, then run to the closest hide without looking at you.

I'd think it's unlikely as very few (even very few corridor-FPS'wink_o.gif games do this today.

You have a bad idea of what real life fireshooting is.

maybe, the point is the AI should use all the motion anims to move, and not only the turn and go forward. It seem they are moving like they were some tanks.

At one of the recent vbs2 videos ai moves backward (agent_technology_high.wmv at 01:41). I also hope that ai can use reverse gear when driving tanks.

firing whilst running? seriously? that just doesn't happen. would you not think the smart thing to do would be to drop so your a smaller target then shoot accurately instead running and gunning like a big bullseye, suppose your teamates will be happy because you'll be drawing fire from them

This topic have nothing about fire or shooting. It is about AI motions and animations.

Yeah, I think that some of you may have a 'bad idea' about what this topic is about. He doesn't mention anywhere in there whether or not the AI should run while shooting. He's just wondering if they strafe.

Unless maybe he editted it after the fact...

L etranger was saying that in OFP the AI is always moving forward, it never move backward, left or right or in diagonal.

When the AI need to turn in OFP, it just rotate on itself until it faces the needed angle then move again forward.

In OFP the AI is unable to move like a player will do, and because of those limits you can easily kill it before it can even aim at you in urban combat ("slicing the pie").

And he noticed in the ArmA videos that the AI seems to do the same as in OFP. And with the huge urban area of ArmA if it is really the case, that would be a problem as the AI will then be again easy to kill there.

So that's a very good question in my opinion, as after looking at the "Agent" video from VBS2, it seems the VBS2 AI is way more capable than the OFP one was when it comes to its possiblities of moves

Arma has the same AI routines as VBS2...

And where the hell did you get this information? Or are you just stating facts without proof? (which should be grounds for post restrictions).

In that last movie from vbs2 the AI have some problems with keeping formation, they speed up constantly to line up with the leader, that looks stupid when they're walking slowly in the safe mode.

Anyone noticed that the courrent "contact drill" lasts too long? Look at how long those guys wriggle, change possition, and show their backs to the enemy before they shoot...

Well that's ok, I know how the "tasks" work, besides It's quite logical to find a decend cover before shooting, but It wouldn't be hard to kill them don't you think?

Maybe that's a matter of the distance, If they spotted the target from the greater distance they would have the advantage.

...but if so that routine would be bollocks in CQB, although it'd be fun to watch two AI squads run into each other, then turn around and run to find cover, totally ignoring each other, THEN firing.

I like how the AI in ofp worked. Instead of running for cover they would just shoot like mad! It usually won against the player who tries to turn around and find cover.

*concerning the original post*

That's a really good point, i've never even thought about that. They kinda do move like tanks.

But the Agent AI seems to be for VBS2 only, i really dont think they want to use the AI they developed for the military in a standard commercial game. The military must give them more €€€ for it. Some things must remain exclusive to VBS (i guess)

(a short remark on Gizrm's signature)

Quote[/b] ]If you have spam and someone wants it, DON'T OFFER IT.

You mean when someone doesn't want spam, i CAN offer it? whistle.gif

You mean when someone doesn't want spam, i CAN offer it? whistle.gif

On Quote:

I think giZrM is just mirroring MrZigs identity.

On Topic:

Sanctuary got the right idea of what L etranger was trying to say. I don't have much to say but to consider and overview their opinions.

AI should be able to do everything the player can (i remember reading that in ARMA features).

but i don't think the player should be able to strafe if the game is supposed to be realistic.

get up off your chair go outside and try to strafe. like you can in ofp running sidewards.

just not possible at speed unless for a VERY short time. moving sidewards slowly is possible. moving sidewards and forwards (aka diagonally) is possible and that's what the AI should be doing for sure.

and then there's momentum, OFP had something like it when dropping down to prone while moving. Looks like ARMA has it for going prone as well, but what about when changing direction while running? People cannot turn on a dime when moving fast...

AI should be able to do everything the player can (i remember reading that in ARMA features).

but i don't think the player should be able to strafe if the game is supposed to be realistic.

get up off your chair go outside and try to strafe. like you can in ofp running sidewards.

just not possible at speed unless for a VERY short time. moving sidewards slowly is possible. moving sidewards and forwards (aka diagonally) is possible and that's what the AI should be doing for sure.

and then there's momentum, OFP had something like it when dropping down to prone while moving. Looks like ARMA has it for going prone as well, but what about when changing direction while running? People cannot turn on a dime when moving fast...

I agree, walking sideways is do able, but running?

The AI after all is just AI, maybe it cant be programed into the game to do that? If you look at how the AI works in OFP and VBS2, a bunch of "way point" are set, then the AI moves there. I couldn't see them acting any other way, how can the AI know if it should turn and run or strafe, with out impacting the code (speed) in the game?

Maybe if the AI is in "combat mode", and it has a clear target (or at least the direction) then i could be prioritized to look at that direction, no matter what. Then it could be made to use other ways to get to their next waypoint (using a combination of strafe- and backward/forward moves). But of course, i know nothing of the structures of the ArmA AI so... just guessing here (as we all are)

im wondering how much will we be able to mod the game a.i via "plugins" or agents. I remember that we will be able to create animal a.i. but im wondering if not movement stuff is still very hard coded into game a.i. Some of the more basic stuff like there is sloww , medium and fast speeds to choose for a.i in waypoints.

nice thing if bis would do would be a reverse or backing command in waypoints, scripts. like the move, guard, talk , sentry and so on. wink_o.gif