Sign in to follow this  
The_Trooper

May i compare it with Soldner secret wars ??

Hi there,

I just pre ordered the game and hope very much that i may compare it a little bit with Soldner Marine Corps. That game still rocks, and me and my clan still play this game very much.

When it will be a little bit the same teamplay online just like we find in Soldner, i think that this game got an entire clan who wants to buy it.   notworthy.gif

from what Ive played of Sodlner, Armed Assault way more realistic than Soldner, But I dont think it would be a problem as it just requires you to think and use teamwork even more.

I know for fact half my old clan an several from new clan are gettin it, not to mention ppl i've talked too, an ppl who I talked to who played OFP(here in the US) that did'nt know about Armed Assult r going freaking crazy waitin for the demo an the game, myself included. Like I said b4 EA/Dice will be standing back in AW at BISan Armed Assult wishing they had the technology to make a game like this.

yeah, lots of people are waiting. -- getting silly now really lol.

awe has an e on it by the way :-) -- first time i thought you did a typo.

Most of the people here who paid any attention to söldner pretty much deemed the game unplayable crap so.. wink_o.gif

Most of the people here who paid any attention to söldner pretty much deemed the game unplayable crap so.. wink_o.gif

You may forget the crap play, it still is a good game with for the moment still no equal opponent in realistic wargames, and the bugs of the earlier days are gone. I only hope that ArmA is the same kind of game in fact NOT a game that is a bunnyhoping game like BF2. We will now it soon. pistols.gifyay.gif

with for the moment still no equal opponent in realistic wargames,

Auch, thats not something you should say on an OFP forum, every OFP fan agrees that OFP is the king of realism, and has virtually no real competition. wink_o.gif

with for the moment still no equal opponent in realistic wargames,

Auch, thats not something you should say on an OFP forum, every OFP fan agrees that OFP is the king of realism, and has virtually no real competition. wink_o.gif

Lol,   nener.gif

No hard feelings to OFP, but everyone has his favorit game. And for me for the moment that is still soldner, but i'm looking forward to see what ArmA is bringing us.   wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]May i compare it with Soldner secret wars ??

If it was that bad nobody would be interested biggrin_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]for the moment still no equal opponent in realistic wargames

That's correct because first of all Soldner is not a wargame: all the game types seem to focus on arena deathmatch with respawn, buying of vehicles and weapons from magical "terminals", counting points, capturing flags... all that crap and then some. Second, you gotta be joking to call Soldner realistic. Let's see:

-No ballistics on small arms whatsoever, check

-One-man tanks, check

-No difference between getting hit in the head, torso, legs or hands, check

-Vehicles that immidiately catch on fire and explode 3 seconds later when coming into contact with water, check (almost the same on OFP btw)

-No server has 3rd person or crosshairs disabled as far as I know, check

-Invisibility-kit, check

-Jets that make near-instant 180 degree-turns without losing speed, check (not that ofp planes fly that nicely but at least it's not utter sci-fi)

-Thermal vision that sees through buildings, check

Ok, that's enough to get the general idea. OFP isn't and ArmA won't be exactly hard-core realistic either but at least they're a huge leap to the right direction from Soldner, Battlefield and such and there will be mods that focus on realism. And there will be faster arcadey game types too so I'm sure you'll like it whether you're into that or the more realistic missions.

You may forget the crap play, it still is a good game with for the moment still no equal opponent in realistic wargames

Actually, OFP was the first and still is the most realistic large scale virtual battlefield type game, excluding WIP games such as ArmA. Granted that VBS might be more of a battlefield simulator, it's ultimately OFP at it's core (just an upgraded, more powerful OFP engine). I love the phrase BIS used for their game engine, "Military Tested - Game Proven" as it generally describes how superb the technology is.

Although I'm not saying OFP is a better game than Soldner, as that's largely a matter of opinion, I'm simply saying it's definatly a worthy opponent.

Metal Heart basically said it all. I got the first box of Solder that hadn't been patched... and i've experienced next:

- huge load times

- loaded the first map and when i saw freakin' ROADSIGN in the middle of jeep parked beside me, I realized that guys that did this game didn't even test before releasing wink_o.gif

- drove around the dull terrain when I saw AI lost in the woods and hitting every obstacle there was... and they didn't mind me driving around them. Guess they were just too busy.

- tried the building destruction and .... then the game crashed.

I've uninstalled, threw the game away and never came back smile_o.gif

OFP: played it since 2001, run a community site, sold over 200 copies over here and when it got a bit outdated we switched to Joint Ops and SWAT4 (both games had a great realism mod made by LoneWulf). We then returned to OFP with FFUR and WGL mods... and now building brand new fansite along with Slovenian www.vojak.si that is currently home to our team (SBP).

See any similarities with Soldner paragraph above? wink_o.gif

Like I said b4 EA/Dice will be standing back in AW at BISan Armed Assult wishing they had the technology to make a game like this.

I don't really think that will be the case. If you think about it, DICE or EA could very well buy out BIS if they wanted too, but they don't. The nazi's at EA and DICE wouldn't bother wanting someone elses technology, when theirs is selling to the millions of morons on this planet.

OMG  band.gif

I started something here  whistle.gif

Don't want to discuss wath is good or bad about soldner or OFP.  My only question is : Is ArmA gonna be a game with no pre defined Waepons like BF2 , the maps seem to be big enough, not like BF2, warrock or other ones with little maps. Can i buy what i want when i earn it, how about vehicle and houses destruction, we got this all in soldner, im just asking al these to see if it gonna be a good or even much better game for our clan. And sorry but till now we still are Die hard Soldner Fans.  nener.gif

But still i'm very curios about the game, let it be quick the first week of december so that i can check it out.

Cu out on the ArmA Battlefield guys.

yay.gif

How can anyone call a game realistic where you put money in a machine and out comes a tank, I will never know. crazy_o.gif

OMG  band.gif

I started something here  whistle.gif

Don't want to discuss wath is good or bad about soldner or OFP.  My only question is : Is ArmA gonna be a game with no pre defined Waepons like BF2 , the maps seem to be big enough, not like BF2, warrock or other ones with little maps. Can i buy what i want when i earn it, how about vehicle and houses destruction, we got this all in soldner, im just asking al these to see if it gonna be a good or even much better game for our clan. And sorry but till now we still are Die hard Soldner Fans.  nener.gif

But still i'm very curios about the game, let it be quick the first week of december so that i can check it out.

Cu out on the ArmA Battlefield guys.

yay.gif

Well you are talking about comparing Soldner and ArmA, but really the only thing you can compare ArmA to is OFP, they are 2 of a kind and no other games come close to them. There's no solid answer for any of your questions because the nature of the game allows the person who creates the missions (both games feature powerful mission editors) to determine practically every aspect of the gameplay for that mission, so the game types will be infinitely varied, each mission playing out either slightly or completely different, because each mission is built from the ground up starting only with the terrain (islands that can also be created in addons) and contains all of it's own scripting and the entire unique mission scenario. And in addition to the missions, gameplay will be effected by what mods or addons used, each mission can use any number of addons, each addon can contain it's own units, vehicles, weapons, scripts, etc. and so every time you play, wether it's single or multiplayer, you are playing somebody's work of art; the mission and/or the addons. Of course BIS will include some default missions with some common game types, but they are by no means all that's available, as I said before there will be practically an infinite variety of gameplay available, limited only by how hard the community works.

How can anyone call a game realistic where you put money in a machine and out comes a tank, I will never know.  crazy_o.gif

Lol,  xmas_o.gif

Starting amount is 3500 to buy a abrahams you need 24000.  rofl.gif

confused_o.gif

And @ kylesarnik THX for the answer inlove.gif

Chill out guys... Not everyone knows the ins and outs of OFP/Arma. I'm still surpised when I browse tactical / war game forums and still see people who have never even played the demo of OFP.

@ The_Trooper:

Welcome to the forums smile_o.gif

As KyleSarnik said, it really comes down to the discretion of the mission designer regarding weapons and so forth. One of the major parts of ArmA will be the powerful (but very easy to use) editor, people can make missions to suit their taste. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to design a mission that mimics Soldners game design.

How did you hear about Armed Assault by the way?

Chill out guys... Not everyone knows the ins and outs of OFP/Arma. I'm still surpised when I browse tactical / war game forums and still see people who have never even played the demo of OFP.

@ The_Trooper:

Welcome to the forums smile_o.gif

As KyleSarnik said, it really comes down to the discretion of the mission designer regarding weapons and so forth. One of the major parts of ArmA will be the powerful (but very easy to use) editor, people can make missions to suit their taste. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to design a mission that mimics Soldners game design.

How did you hear about Armed Assault by the way?

Hi,

Those where the answers i was waiting for. I played soldner since the Demo came out, but now the graphics are getting a little bit dusty.  rofl.gif

Our clan is waiting a little bit for a soldner look a like or how ever you will call it. Armed Assault was one of the possebilitys and there is also Peacekeepers. I have pre ordered the game in Germany, and i hope that it will be a multilanguage version, so also English  inlove.gif .

We found ArmA in the latest game reviews earlier this year, and i think that this will be a Great game.

At Amazon Germany  the game is aviable on 30.11.2006 so i hope to get the game the first week of December. Be shure that i will tell you what i think about this game.

Anyway thx for the response and i hope to see you on the battlefield

pistols.gif

Soldner was extremely innovative in some areas, but if you think Soldner is the most realistic, you're in for a giantic reality check.

It would be nice if there was deformable terrain in Arma and buildings as destructible as the ones in Soldner, but ArmA *has* added terrain streaming, so terrains larger than island-sized should be possible, now. (Admit it, as unrivaled as Soldner's terrain is in size, very little of the map actually gets used or even populated with objects.)

actually only what really come to my mind when someone say solder was :

- roll jump thru window or over small fence ...

- building destructions was quite nice

and that was it ... rest were bugs and issues ...

Quote[/b] ]for the moment still no equal opponent in realistic wargames

That's correct because first of all Soldner is not a wargame: all the game types seem to focus on arena deathmatch with respawn, buying of vehicles and weapons from magical "terminals", counting points, capturing flags... all that crap and then some. Second, you gotta be joking to call Soldner realistic. Let's see:

-No ballistics on small arms whatsoever, check

-One-man tanks, check

-No difference between getting hit in the head, torso, legs or hands, check

-Vehicles that immidiately catch on fire and explode 3 seconds later when coming into contact with water, check (almost the same on OFP btw)

-No server has 3rd person or crosshairs disabled as far as I know, check

-Invisibility-kit, check

-Jets that make near-instant 180 degree-turns without losing speed, check (not that ofp planes fly that nicely but at least it's not utter sci-fi)

-Thermal vision that sees through buildings, check

Ok, that's enough to get the general idea. OFP isn't and ArmA won't be exactly hard-core realistic either but at least they're a huge leap to the right direction from Soldner, Battlefield and such and there will be mods that focus on realism. And there will be faster arcadey game types too so I'm sure you'll like it whether you're into that or the more realistic missions.

I couldn't of said it better!

actually only what really come to my mind when someone say solder was :

- roll jump thru window or over small fence ...

- building destructions was quite nice

and that was it ... rest were bugs and issues ...

Haha, I think of that silly taunting in that game.

I remember playing the demo online, running out of a bush, flipping an enemy the middle finger, and then being filled with bullets. My only memory from the demo biggrin_o.gif