Sign in to follow this  
The_Trooper

May i compare it with Soldner secret wars ??

Chill out guys... Not everyone knows the ins and outs of OFP/Arma. I'm still surpised when I browse tactical / war game forums and still see people who have never even played the demo of OFP.

@ The_Trooper:

Welcome to the forums smile_o.gif

As KyleSarnik said, it really comes down to the discretion of the mission designer regarding weapons and so forth. One of the major parts of ArmA will be the powerful (but very easy to use) editor, people can make missions to suit their taste. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to design a mission that mimics Soldners game design.

How did you hear about Armed Assault by the way?

Hi,

Those where the answers i was waiting for. I played soldner since the Demo came out, but now the graphics are getting a little bit dusty. rofl.gif

Our clan is waiting a little bit for a soldner look a like or how ever you will call it. Armed Assault was one of the possebilitys and there is also Peacekeepers. I have pre ordered the game in Germany, and i hope that it will be a multilanguage version, so also English inlove.gif .

We found ArmA in the latest game reviews earlier this year, and i think that this will be a Great game.

At Amazon Germany the game is aviable on 30.11.2006 so i hope to get the game the first week of December. Be shure that i will tell you what i think about this game.

Anyway thx for the response and i hope to see you on the battlefield

pistols.gif

I just want to insist on the editor point, strongly, because that is some key element in why OFP/ArmA is ... what it is, and because it's something quite difficult to get when you didn't tasted it by yourself.

There is no gameplay in OFP (I will refer to OFP and ArmA as "OFP" now, because the editor feature is basically the same, enhanced in ArmA). Well, there is, just, there is no "fixed" gameplay. No rule set in stone to "buy" things, for example.

Well, even that is wrong. There CAN BE rules to buy things.

The editor is quite a powerfull tool. You have a map, and you are free to put units on it, whatever unit existing in game or through addons. Soldiers, choppers, houses, etc... You can define basic movements of all, and "what they do" (move there, guard this point, get in M113, etc...), in which order. When mission starts, they will begin their "orders" immediatly.

You can group "living" units in squads.

You can define some of the "living" units to be playable.

You can define "events" and actions taken after this event (like "east troops enter this area : make West group X move there", or "this unit is dead : end mission with failed status")

You can define the "respawn type" for the mission, be it "no respawn", "respawn in your own group when IA left in it", "respawn in an area", "respawn in same place".

On top of all that, you get the scripting engine, which gives you the possibility to "attach" scripts to units, create special effects, behavior, move things around, create units dynamically, well... absolutely everything.

So to sum it up : you start from an empty world, you populate it, creates how it lives, and define its rules. You do it all YOURSELF.

If you want to have a "vehicle buying" system, it's easily doable. Just put some "terminal" to which you attach an action, which when activated creates a tank nearby. You can be more advanced by making the action create a dialog on screen proposing you a unit list to be spawned, etc...

If you want to simulate a BF2 respawn system, use a "respawn in area" system, and redirect the "on respawn" event to a dialog showing you the map and spawn possibilities, with a respawn button, which will move the player from normal respawn area to his chosen respawn point.

As you can see, it's up to the mission designer to create the rules, the world, and what happens within it.

You can mimick existing things (Battlefield games, Soldner, UT Assault system,...)

You can be creative (CTI comes to mind)

You can be as realist as you can get and make perfect coop missions copying real operations

After that, you put the mission on a server, players connecting download it dynamically and play it.

The thing is : gameplay in OFP is up to you. You create it. You are not limited. You will not play the same game again and again and again.

If that is not a huge sell point for ArmA, then I don't know what it is.

Like I said b4 EA/Dice will be standing back in AW at BISan Armed Assult wishing they had the technology to make a game like this.

I don't really think that will be the case. If you think about it, DICE or EA could very well buy out BIS if they wanted too, but they don't. The nazi's at EA and DICE wouldn't bother wanting someone elses technology, when theirs is selling to the millions of morons on this planet.

Why are they Nazis, to tell you the truth i love the need for speed series. And can't wait till it(Carbon) comes. Since its the only game that i trust will come out on time.(never dissapointed)

Even though its made in Canada ironically i think it comes out in Europe 10 days before it comes out here in U.S.

BIS should get them to publish Armed A, It will sell more because EA knows how to advertise. But that will never happen.

Wow i just realized i haven't posted here for almost 2 years, i even forgot i was registered, i almost reregistered.

Söldner was a great project before it was released. I knew the dev-team quite well and was in the closed beta test. Later on I was inofficially the weapons consultant and made some changes - which are not in-game anylonger I suppose.

It was bad...worse than bad, actually.

Lag, bugs, unrealistic like all hell and so on.

I'd like to know, if there are still the real-life reticles for the sniper rifles (which I sponsored for realisms sake). P90 and Steyr AUG had some weird sci-fi reticles, too. Changed that, but don't know if these changes were too hardcorde for the arcady Södler Secret Wars.

However, we had our fun with the game (and the bugs also).

Söldner was a great project before it was released. I knew the dev-team quite well and was in the closed beta test. Later on I was inofficially the weapons consultant and made some changes - which are not in-game anylonger I suppose.

It was bad...worse than bad, actually.

Lag, bugs, unrealistic like all hell and so on.

I'd like to know, if there are still the real-life reticles for the sniper rifles (which I sponsored for realisms sake). P90 and Steyr AUG had some weird sci-fi reticles, too. Changed that, but don't know if these changes were too hardcorde for the arcady Södler Secret Wars.

However, we had our fun with the game (and the bugs also).

Soldner,

Is since marine corps no longer the buggy game from the earlier days. And in fact i am a Closed Beta tester for the official development team. So don't tell anything about soldner i know the whole story. And like i said before, it still is a great game, but the graphics are getting dusty.  rofl.gif

And what if have seen in the posts here says enough to me, ArmA gonna be a great game, only to bad i have to wait another month for the game.

banghead.gif

like i said before, it still is a great game

I wasted $45 US on that POS "great game", I played it for a total of about 2 hours, and happily threw it away, like in the trash!

Didn't want to piss off anybody by giving it to them. nener.gif

Comparing Soldner "Kiddie Wars" to Armd Assault is like comparing a discount store suit to to Seville Row hadmade suit....

IMHO, of course.

like i said before, it still is a great game

I wasted $45 US on that POS "great game", I played it for a total of about 2 hours, and happily threw it away, like in the trash!

Didn't want to piss off anybody by giving it to them. nener.gif

Comparing Soldner "Kiddie Wars" to Armd Assault is like comparing a discount store suit to to Seville Row hadmade suit....

IMHO, of course.

Imho you are right m8! wink_o.gif

Flashpoint and ArmA is a new game category and i hope that the future versions will be more and more realistic.

Soldner will always rock for me. IMO ArmA and Soldner are very different games, and I will probably play both for a long time to come... wink_o.gif