Sign in to follow this  
Chaos

Ironsight ?

This is how I think the sights should work. In ArmA, the weapon is too low, almost as if the gun is resting at elbow height when in 1st person. It is also too far out. It looks like every other FPS which I don’t think is accurate.

http://www.armedassault.eu/images/photoalbum/abt_33.jpg

Yet, when viewing yourself or someone else, the gun is resting on the shoulder.

http://www.armedassault.eu/images/photoalbum/abt_29.jpg

It’s as if you have a 12†neck.

The top picture is with the gun at shoulder position for getting ready to fire/tactical walk (I would say even less of an angle and slightly higher. I had to work with the picture that Llauma posted (BTW, thank you. It helped greatly to get my point across)). I think it looks more accurate like this. Also, with the gun this high and straight it gives you a better sense of where your gun is pointed when you go into iron sight mode. With this more accurately displayed, you really don’t need to use crosshairs, because you now have a more accurate sense of where your gun is actually pointed.

[im]http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/7653/ironsightview3abb1.jpg[/img]

The bottom picture is iron sight mode with the left eye closed and blurring all around the actual sight. This way you are really only focused on one target at a time and everything else is blurred.

[im]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5763/ironsightview3bdz3.jpg[/img]

Here is the ANIMATION (473kb) biggrin_o.gif

I REALLY hope something like this is in ArmA, but it might be too close to release to consider this. If not implemented, can something like this be made by the modding community? Is it at all possible?

The lower picture is a bit overdone. When shooting and you have a fairly normal skull you would only see the blur of the lower part of your nose. You would have to actually look a bit left to get the blur from your top eye cavity also.

Death006 please remove image tags when quoting.

This is also meant for you CanisDEK.

@rg7621:

That's how it should be.

Sort of tounge2.gif

Death006 please remove image tags when quoting.

This is also meant for you CanisDEK.

@rg7621:

That's how it should be.

Sort of tounge2.gif

aye I'll keep that in mind for futire posts... I haven't posted much on OFP lately and back in the days fancy things like pictures in posts were unheard of biggrin_o.gif

i quite like the nose/eye cavity addition to the sites - its something i've never seen before, but when i sit here at home squinting at the screen trying to recreate it, its kinda fun.

true that its a little overdone, plus bear in mind, as you focus on the ironsights and target, your brain/eye begins to 'ignore' things in the foreground that are out of focus...

try it for yourself - hold your hands up like you're holding a rifle, and focus on your front hand... whilst the obstruction of your nose and eye socket is still apparent, its far less defined than if you were focusing on it.

nice addition - i really like it smile_o.gif if BIS dont implement it, I hope we can do it for our own addons

This is how I think the sights should work.

Here is the ANIMATION (473kb) biggrin_o.gif

I REALLY hope something like this is in ArmA, but it might be too close to release to consider this. If not implemented, can something like this be made by the modding community? Is it at all possible?

That animation is quite nice, its alittle "agressive" tough.

The part of the eye is too excessive, could be more blur and if you add a hand in the gun it might be almost there smile_o.gif

Would it be a problem if players wear glasses?

How would be the vision then? (know what i mean? could be bugs to fix then)

Glasses would/should be the same choosen in the player profile or else.. huh.gif

ps- this new vision is really interesting wink_o.gif

Thanks guys,

I was thinking of making some adjustments, but I’ll leave it as is, since it is enough to get the point across. I just wish I knew how to use a lightwave/maya program to do a better job.

It’s obviously not perfect, but I think moving in this direction with something similar to this is the best method to simulate shooting a rifle and who better than BIS to take this to the next level? biggrin_o.gif

Next thing, but a totally different topick are scopes and night vision...how would It really look while using an aimpoint + nv?

Besides, I would rather like to see something like BHD had when It comes to red dot sights (with the ability to zoom It just as the iron sights). It has a different purpose than a scope....

aye I'll keep that in mind for futire posts...

You could quite easily have edited your post, I generally prefer that forum rules, and my reminders of them aren't ignored.

This is how I think the sights should work. In ArmA, the weapon is too low, almost as if the gun is resting at elbow height when in 1st person. It is also too far out. It looks like every other FPS which I don’t think is accurate.

http://www.armedassault.eu/images/photoalbum/abt_33.jpg

Yet, when viewing yourself or someone else, the gun is resting on the shoulder.

http://www.armedassault.eu/images/photoalbum/abt_29.jpg

It’s as if you have a 12†neck.

Actually, those picture are not incompatible with each other. (and in fact cannot be, because the same model & pose is used for each view.). Try closing one eye, holding your hand in the position shown so that your view of that part of the monitor is blocked, then hold the "rear" of the imaginary rifle and you're pretty much in the position shown in the second picture.

You might be distracted by the zoom level, you should be able to get a fix suitable for you soon enough, but you'll see less of your surroundings though.

Heres a game Ive been playing on my xbox called Close Combat: First to fight, personally I think these Ironsights are great and you can clearly see the difference between ArmAs and this. smile_o.gif

IronSights

Cheers to deanos for his putfile

wink_o.gif

aye I'll keep that in mind for futire posts...

You could quite easily have edited your post, I generally prefer that forum rules, and my reminders of them aren't ignored.

You're right of course, but I was busy that day and left the computer to... well my private affairs do not concern you, but I'll remember that too if it should happend in the future that I forgot the first thing.

Heres a game Ive been playing on my xbox called Close Combat: First to fight, personally I think these Ironsights are great and you can clearly see the difference between ArmAs and this. smile_o.gif

I think the sights are far too close in that veiw, aside from the obvious fact that the post isn't even in the notch (if there even is a notch).

Guys, keep in mind the AK's sights are set a lot farther up the reciever than the AR 15 or M 16 many of us are familiar with.

The cheek is rested on the raised portion of the stock, giving a total distance(the distance from the eye to the rear sight notch.) of 12.25inches (yes, I did just get up and measure it, hehe nener.gif ) Many of you seem to want a distance of 8.875inches, a distance putting you with your cheek bone against the dustcover, that's gonna hurt:wall:

This gun kicks substantially, not to mention the fact that many of you are opting for a sight veiw that would place your cheekbone in the path of a half pound chunk of steel slamming backward after each shot. crazy_o.gif

BIS has it right with the AK. (the m4 aimpoint needs more periphial vision though)

Heres a game Ive been playing on my xbox called Close Combat: First to fight, personally I think these Ironsights are great and you can clearly see the difference between ArmAs and this.  smile_o.gif

IronSights

wink_o.gif

Really nice, especially when you imagine your head movements and the one-eye-closed blur that probably aren`t in that game...

IronSights

wink_o.gif

Really nice, especially when you imagine your head movements and the one-eye-closed blur that probably aren`t in that game...

I think to have really great ironsights you need to have free aim in the ironsights.

Check it out in an example from Infiltration.

IMHO they all look like the soldier is cradling the back of the rifle in the middle of their chest.

Well after thinking about it, it's very obvious that the gun will appear in the middle of your chest. The sights obviously have to be aligned if you're going to look down them. So the gun will be pointing directly away from your viewpoint. As for centered, obviously it would be centered, it wouldn't make much sense for your vision to the right to be more/less than that to your left.

Well after thinking about it, it's very obvious that the gun will appear in the middle of your chest. The sights obviously have to be aligned if you're going to look down them. So the gun will be pointing directly away from your viewpoint. As for centered, obviously it would be centered, it wouldn't make much sense for your vision to the right to be more/less than that to your left.

Good point. That's exactly what BIS is doing I think. In ArmA you are looking straight through the soldiers eyes, not a camera placed in his chest.

So you think about looking through the eyes it would become realistic, although it may look like its infront of his chest.

Heres a game Ive been playing on my xbox called Close Combat: First to fight, personally I think these Ironsights are great and you can clearly see the difference between ArmAs and this.  smile_o.gif

IronSights

wink_o.gif

I think to have really great ironsights you need to have free aim in the ironsights.  

Check out in an example from Infiltration.

That was actually what i was hoping for in the old tread about 3d ironsights, right now in ArmA there isnt really a big difference between 2d and the 3d ironsights, they just look better smile_o.gif

*sigh* I love the audio in infiltration, why ANY developer wants to have anything less than that is beyond me...  sad_o.gif

Cant say I liked those ironsights tho, the were bouncning all over the place a bit too much...

I love the way that INF employs dot/reflex optics, the dot is "projected", not "painted" on the lens.

Don´t confound the optical sights with the Ironsights. Well, the OFP Ironsights are painted and not 3D. But these one (AK47/74) in ArmA is too small. Its looks as the soldier will aim with before himself stretched arms. So don´t aim anybody - only realistic way to aim with a rifle is to take it in your shoulder and to aim over the grain / bilges. In ArmA is this sight too small and so is only true result of this - the player will aim with stretched arms. In the OFP are the Ironsights in 2D but the perspective looks 100x better than in ArmA. Look on the Lasers M4 or RHS AK-74 ironsights. These are better than the original OFP ironsights but the perspective is the same. Everybody who has a rifle in his hands can confirm this.

pistols.gif