Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Hind in Arma

at last some one got a screen shot of that chopper, now all who tought that the hind chopper wouldn't be in ARMA can rest in peace.

at last banghead.gif

edit: yes, the pic of the hind was taken from the "plastic war video" like 200 years ago wink_o.gif

thats a really early verison of ArmA though, they could have taken it out.

Mi24 is not in the GC 2006 demo.

Why would they take it out? Overkill? Naah smile_o.gif already confirmed vulcan against some mi-17s?... Blah, why even put them in then? smile_o.gif

Why would they take it out? Overkill? Naah smile_o.gif already confirmed vulcan against some mi-17s?... Blah, why even put them in then? smile_o.gif

Probably because it was old OFP model and pretty low poly and not really on par with other models currently in ArmA. Also remember that there is a KA-50 ingame.

Does it really matter? I'm sure within a few weeks (at most) of release at lease one Hind will have been ported to ArmA (VIT's hinds for example)

If there is no BIS hind then there is no Hind in multiplayer.

BTW that's an old placeholder from an ancient pressdemo.

edit: sure there willbe totally inconsistant uber-highpoly CPU killer addons, but those won't get played, they will get ooh'd and aah'd in the editor and then it's back to vanilla BIS units like always. Not that they weren't hard work for someone... more power to addon makers and all that but ya knoa... noone plays em online. sad_o.gif Plus there won't be any hind in the campaign (BUT THERE WILL BE THE MOST EXPENSIVE RUSSIAN HELICOPTER EVER BUILT! - hint friggin hint, no hind but a KA-50)

If there is no BIS hind then there is no Hind in multiplayer.

BTW that's an old placeholder from an ancient pressdemo.

edit: sure there willbe totally inconsistant uber-highpoly CPU killer addons, but those won't get played, they will get ooh'd and aah'd in the editor and then it's back to vanilla BIS units like always. Not that they weren't hard work for someone... more power to addon makers and all that but ya knoa... noone plays em online. sad_o.gif Plus there won't be any hind in the campaign (BUT THERE WILL BE THE MOST EXPENSIVE RUSSIAN HELICOPTER EVER BUILT! - hint friggin hint, no hind but a KA-50)

By the way of mods, if not in the original game, Hind will find its way into multiplayer world wink_o.gif

Of course, but we want that crappy Ka-50 removed and put the Hind in that is still in many armies around the work. Ka-50 just doesn't have "the soul" wink_o.gif

Heh.

Remember with our awesome community we can make what ever we want really... I'm sure a Hind will be easy! wink_o.gif

Swear some people only want the Hind and T80 because they were in the original game, rather than for any real reason smile_o.gif

I'm pro-realism, but honestly there are more worthy realism goals than having Hinds instead of Ka-50s. In fact I have and will continue to argue that Ka-50s instead of hinds is _not_ unrealistic - unusual maybe.

It's not even like the Hind had a stunning record, they were designed as a dual assault/troop transport platform but weren't suitable in either role and rarely used at all in the troop transport role. They lacked the maneuvrability of the US Cobra etc and the rotors had a habit of hitting the tail causing crashes.

There is a Hip in the game for transport, and they are well suited for that role. The Ka-50 is a far superior assault gunship. So the North Sahrani military have chosen two capable aircraft in place of a poorer compromise of the Hind.

Swear some people only want the Hind and T80 because they were in the original game, rather than for any real reason smile_o.gif

I'm pro-realism, but honestly there are more worthy realism goals than having Hinds instead of Ka-50s. In fact I have and will continue to argue that Ka-50s instead of hinds is _not_ unrealistic - unusual maybe.

It's not even like the Hind had a stunning record, they were designed as a dual assault/troop transport platform but weren't suitable in either role and rarely used at all in the troop transport role. They lacked the maneuvrability of the US Cobra etc and the rotors had a habit of hitting the tail causing crashes.

There is a Hip in the game for transport, and they are well suited for that role. The Ka-50 is a far superior assault gunship. So the North Sahrani military have chosen two capable aircraft in place of a poorer compromise of the Hind.

Hinds were never designed to on par with American helicopters because they use different tactics!

Hinds are not the same hovering, pop out, shoot type of aircraft. They were created from experiences in WWII out of the Il2 Shturmovik and they are designed to be used in mass (i.e. you would never see a Hind by itself) and to do a sort of wagon wheel formation. They fly, attack and then manuever out low to the ground using terrain. The first Hinds only have some 200 hours of hovering life time so it's used sparingly. Though the newer Hinds that have the Mi-28 rotors and other upgrades I am sure is a lot better. It also has strong armor, getting it the nickname of flying tank. I think one Hind once survived direct hit from a Stinger, and managed to return home.

Also the Hind was rarely used as a transport, but it's useful because you can keep supplies in there, or transport medic evac if there is nothing else there. The Hind is an entirely different system of attack helicopter and to be fair, since our game evolves so much around being a one man army, then I doubt the Hind could be used other than multiplayer to its fullest extent.

That being said however I wish there was a Hind, just because it is a great helicopter.

Hmm... this is starting to look awfully familiar...  whistle.gif  Moderators, do you think we need to go through this again?

im sure that the mod community will supply a Hind in good time, assuming BIS dont release one... given that its meant to be quite easy and straighforward to port vehicles/aircraft, perhaps RHS may get their OFP hind into arma quite quickly.

Yes, it is a different helicopter for different tactics but then those tactics have been subsequently re-thought, hence the Mi-28 and Ka-50 projects. The only reason the Ka-50 hasn't replaced the Hind in the Russian military was the sudden realisation that they'd no money left smile_o.gif

BTW on the issue of cost. Whilst there is very little info on the market value of the Hokum, ten years ago the Turkish Army were offering a $4 billion contract for 145 aircraft, in which Kamov (the makers) were serious contenders. Although that was a bulk order, that's equivalent to ~$28 million which is quite cheap for what you are getting. It's likely with order books empty that today they will go at this price or even lower.

Mi-24 by contrast, well the current situation is that the majority in the open market are in dis-repair and require $2 million refits just to restore them to their original (70s/80s) condition. To bring them up to date with current tech would cost more. That's _if_ you can find any, apparently Russia has been buying back many of the functional ones just to maintain their own numbers. This buy up by Russia will drive the price higher than normal.

Edit: Almost forgot one of the most important bits, Kamov would give these things away to any nation which were about to enter combat because they have yet to be battle tested. If the Kamov performed well and proved itself in a real conflict then they would likely start selling well. So with that in mind, giving/lending a few to NS is good publicity.

... That's _if_ you can find any, apparently Russia has been buying back many of the functional ones just to maintain their own numbers. This buy up by Russia will drive the price higher than normal.

Would you care to provide a source for this statement? All my information indicates that quite the opposite is the case - Russians are selling used MI-24/MI-35 out of their military stocks along with the new ones.

Peace,

DreDay

The russian army is completely broke. I read that they spend 75% of their funds on food for the 2 million servicemen they have. They couldn't field the an-94 because of being broke.

No hind in arma... that stinks. I'm dissatisfied with the Northern Sahranians weaponry and equipment overall... anyone else think the T-72 in ArmA looks a bit weird?

Compare:

http://users.dfu-clan.net/stuiterbal/dump/t72.JPG

http://www.armedassault.com/shots/aa_shot6.jpg

It has this odd bump that stands out from between the tracks upper covering part. Is that some exotic version like the M113 with the full armored turret?

... That's _if_ you can find any, apparently Russia has been buying back many of the functional ones just to maintain their own numbers. This buy up by Russia will drive the price higher than normal.

Would you care to provide a source for this statement? All my information indicates that quite the opposite is the case - Russians are selling used MI-24/MI-35 out of their military stocks along with the new ones.

Unfortunately I don't remember the source of everything I've read sad_o.gif I did read it recently but the article itself may have been older.

A quick google search shows up the following:

http://www.asiatradingonline.com/russianhelicopter24.htm

Although it only says "great demand in Russia" and not specifically what I had read about the military itself buying them up. Interestingly according to that site the figure I suggested for the refits was on the high side. They say 500,000 _up to_ 2 million.

I should make it clear that I was saying they _were_ selling the older (read broken) stuff but replacing them with working models on the second hand market. Given how broke they are it makes some sense that they may also be selling the new ones too but still buying cheaper ones back at second hand prices. Without being able to cite the original source I guess you can choose to dismiss all that though wink_o.gif

Unfortunately I don't remember the source of everything I've read sad_o.gif I did read it recently but the article itself may have been older.

A quick google search shows up the following:

http://www.asiatradingonline.com/russianhelicopter24.htm

Although it only says "great demand in Russia" and not specifically what I had read about the military itself buying them up. Interestingly according to that site the figure I suggested for the refits was on the high side. They say 500,000 _up to_ 2 million.

Heh, that ATP site looks pretty shady if you ask me. AFAIK, Rosvertol is the onlycompany that is authorized to do direct trades and purchases of Russian helicopters...

Quote[/b] ]

I should make it clear that I was saying they _were_ selling the older (read broken) stuff but replacing them with working models on the second hand market. Given how broke they are it makes some sense that they may also be selling the new ones too but still buying cheaper ones back at second hand prices. Without being able to cite the original source I guess you can choose to dismiss all that though wink_o.gif

Quite frankly none of it makes sense. No one is going to buy "really broken" stuff from the Russians. Nor is there any significant “second hand market†for Hinds. I really don't want to dismiss what you have written, and I don't doubt for a second that you have read it in some article. However, I seriously doubt the credibility of that article.

Peace,

DreDay

Edit: It has just occurred to me that perhaps that article was talking about the MI-24s that were leased or purchased under some "buy back" provision. In that case, it would certainly make sense.