Sign in to follow this  
Sled88

Armed Assault ACU Units

the cloth layer from the first link is a very very good one, i use these too.

And theres no need for 4096pixel textures, 256 can look good if theyre just made right

keep practising mate.

here is a pic of a tri-colour helmet cover i did a while ago now for fun hopefully it can give you some direction of what to do next (although i beleive it is lacking by todays standards).

3Colour K-Pot

Looking at it now i probably over-done the wrinkles etc. on that texture.

They still don't look right IMO. But at least your learning, and thats what is most important.

The lines need to stand out more, not the cloth lines, the brown desert camo lines.

Try adding a little bit of a drop shadow on the layer with the American flag. It'll make it look a bit more like a patch. Also, if you can use an actual picture of a patch, it may be more believe, as the threads are thick around the edges.

Good progress though.

Abs

I don't have any des camo so I can't say anything about the cloth, but the bdu's I've had for years have this pattern to the cloth. I can't imagine the tricolor bdus wouldn't be made of summerweight like this pic.

http://www.ukasc.net/reviews/bullebdu/ripstop.jpg

Your clothing fabric is coming along, but still looks really fake.

Here is a material you could use repeated over you camo.

http://www.construire-sa-voile.com/site/images/Ripstop.gif

And if you really want to do this well, please stop relying on the photshop layer effects. Try to find and use real clothing wrinkles or material. Go hang up some shirts and pants and shoot them digitally to get some wrinkles and shadows to use over your camo smile_o.gif Photoshop filters and effects are there to accentuate the art, not completely take it over.

Good luck smile_o.gif

Also try to add seams and hems on the trousers, especially around the crotch area and the cuffs of the trousers and shirt. Will break up the pattern somewhat and allow for a more realistic look as they wont seem so cartoony.

I second that, get a look at "BAS Infantry Kit" that has been released a while ago, it might be quite helpful to carry out some decent 'seams and hems' layers.

Download

I would suggest you slightly decrease the textures brightness to make'em fit better.

Nice'n quick progress, though, keep it up.

regards

thunderbird84

Try using a base for your wrinkle textures.. I made these 6 color desert BDUs using the PSDs included in the Jon_Doe kit. It takes a while to figure out exactly what lighting , saturation, and transparency settings you need..but these dont look too bad:

6deswc0.jpg

Dont forget Photoshops shadow settings.The pockets on the vest are drawn by hand with effects added by photoshop:

pasgtwj4.jpg

Google is a good source for pictures you can use to add detail objects, the body armour on this "desert one" Delta is taken directly from a web site:

deltaxg9.jpg

as was this shemagh:

shemaghsl9.jpg

If you want I can send you the PSDs with all the layers for the 6 color stuff so you can see how i did it. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Yeah i gotta agree, absolut stunning work smile_o.gif

Dont you wanna make some russians maybe Miss Cleo? :P

In order for textures to look life like, you really have to add the smaller details in. If you can be delicate and be subtle with it, you can build something up that looks extremely good - you have no detailing on your "textures" - they are just a pattern, with a cheap photoshop filter applied to it.

If you want to make them look good, the next step is to add stitches & seams, thrash out the cut of whatever clothing it is you're making, then to add in shadows. After that you can maybe think about adding in, very subtly, dirt and wear and tear.

Sled, please turn off DXDLL's post-processing function when taking screenshots.

It's probably one of the most bad ways to reflect a color in an image

JW

wink_o.gif

Yay sry forgotten^^

Here the update... I spent really hard work to these textures now... Hope you like them a little bit! I will stop working on the textures now... I will begin the model the weapons for the units first then I will continue!

AA-Unit-27.jpg

Part of the problem looks like you used the old OFP model rather than the Res model, or your texture seams are off by a lot. TBH to get better results you could use the John Doe model mentioned a few posts back as it has better UV mapping and better bse textures to start from. With the old models you can never get seams to line up very well at all without an ungodly amount of trial and error. And with bad UVmapping it will never look quite right.

@sled88

Please don't give up, while it seems that everyone is having a go at you, just reading this thread is almost like a tutorial on how to texture a unit. The longer you keep going the more imformation there is for lurkers smile_o.gif

I was having problems getting shading on a USMC '43 uniform and have applied Dante's hanky, cut and pasted to cover the whole arm texture, as a simply overlay layer 100% and reduced the transparency of the cloth fold layers I had previously.

Heres a pic to show the difference. Of course the whole model is very WIP its just an example of what the advice here can do, I'm certainly happier with the arms on the figure on the right and will have to apply the same changes all over the model.

usmc_006.jpg

Heres a pic to show the difference. Of course the whole model is very WIP its just an example of what the advice here can do, I'm certainly happier with the arms on the figure on the right and will have to apply the same changes all over the model.

I would prefer the arms on the figure on the left. biggrin_o.gif

But its only me

I don't think many people are making "jabs" as much as giving advice and suggestions in a non-flattering, matter-of-fact kind of a way. It's interesting to read this and see changes rather quickly. It does almost feel like a unit making tut.

It may be for another game, but it's still info on wrinkles. Another good one was a flag "wrinkles" tutorial I saw at ofp.info I "think". Same principles.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/skin-tutorial.htm

lol sled , dont let them get you down lol, go and read my own thread destructable buildings , i was ripped to pieces ,but i learned a hell of alot :0.

one thing you learn about these forums in addon land that is diff than mission land, the people talk straight and dont hold back, but they always (well most) offer advice with thier critisicm smile_o.gif.

keep it up .ya doing well