Sign in to follow this  
Sled88

Armed Assault ACU Units

k sled no problem just said so.

erm the 3 color camo on helmet is too "small", and the 6 color camo is too "big"

yep^^ i am still searching for a good 3 color! the helmet is complete so far i think! I also want to retexture some weapons later... asking jackal for permission! wink_o.gif

@Sgt. Eversmann: What about the west? I think this is already ok or?

BD20B.JPG

helmet camo pattern is too small wink_o.gif

The vest looks ok but I see you just copied and mirrored the other part. Add some dirt to the vest and stuff, don't let them look like plastic soldiers wink_o.gif

Also try to add seams and hems on the trousers, especially around the crotch area and the cuffs of the trousers and shirt. Will break up the pattern somewhat and allow for a more realistic look as they wont seem so cartoony.

Finally I found a good tri color texture... Somehow I like the helmet with this textures now! wink_o.gif Left is heavy and right is light squad leader

aaunit12ty4.jpg

detail picture

aaunit13og1.jpg

helmet shot

aaunit14zd5.jpg

rear sight... added new bags to the heavy squad leader:

aaunit15jf2.jpg

A lil hint, the default cloth effects in Photoshop are really bad.

Search google or others for stuff like pics of wrinkles and cloth textures, i found a few good things already.

The select one of the textures and copy that thing on your cammo so you got another layer, then choose blending options on the layer options and play with the overlay function, also lower the strenght of the texture till you get a good result.

Then add the next layer and so on till youre done, id start first with the folds layer.

This amount of detail is what you should be aiming for.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....l=bambi

I think the black in these pics are a bit too much, but you can at least get a sense of what detail level you shoud be aiming for. The ARMA units get most of their detail from normal maps, detail maps and good photo references in the textures. That will be hard to do with the Photoshop experience you seem to have. Bambis units look to be all hand done in photoshop so thats a good starting point.

Right now your units look cell shaded.

yep, and try to get new brushes, to have different effects. And you should try to learn some photoshop tutorials:

- for the plastic, metal etc.

I don't think my unit will be like these... The qualitiy of mine will be much worse than these from bambi! sad_o.gif

maybe not, you just need to learn how to use photoshop.

photoshop is a great tool, but it's not really easy to use it. a lot of people have in their sigs "2d artist", but in fact they need all to learn, how to use photoshop. And me too, i still learn.

keep it up, dude, and good luck wink_o.gif

This amount of detail is what you should be aiming for.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....l=bambi

Word!

Oh, and Dante forgot to tell you, Photoshop retails for around 650-700 USD, or buy it in the Adobe Bundle (you get lotza tools) for approx 2500 USD.

Or just download the 30-day trial, have it for thirty days, uninstall, re-download again and again and again. Etc

JW

smile_o.gif

Photoshop as all the other painting/retouching softwares are just tools.

First off, you´ll need to pay attention to all the details, gather a lot of reference material and a good artistic base would help you a lot. Learning a software tool would take you a few moths only.

But believe me, the key of all this is practise, practise and then more practise.

Said this, I wish you good luck making addons.

Sincerelly:

A guy with "2D Artist" in his signature. rofl.gif

I don't think my unit will be like these... The qualitiy of mine will be much worse than these from bambi! sad_o.gif

Noone starts with master skills, look at Lasers first releases and the latest for example... not to mention the thing he works on atm wink_o.gif

Patience and will to learn and try things.

I made so many many mistakes in PS but i think i slowly gettign to somwhere aswell smile_o.gif

added the final camo textures now! Now i try to add some wrinkles!

aaunit16sq0.jpg

It was tri color desert tan! I changed the colors!

I can see where you're going, but the lines in that effect are way too big for the uniform. They need to be a lot smaller. Take a shirt you have and study the "lines" on them.

It's a basic start. Keep going, and you may surprise yourself.

Abs

All I see are A LOT of lines and a tiny bit of camo underneath that I can barely make out.

Right now it looks like pajamas.

This looked a lot better but it's still doesn't look like ArmA.

aaunit12ty4.jpg

Another update... I decided to change the camo one last time! wink_o.gif

aaunit17wc2.jpg

aaunit18lb2.jpg

aaunit19xd7.jpg

Ok here the final textures of the vest, helmet and the suit... (radio, and a few bags will be retextured soon) I added a few details to the west.. a bit dust and sand! wink_o.gif I think it looks good so far!

aaunit20mq0.jpg

aaunit21ph4.jpg

aaunit22ar0.jpg

But I don't wanna use 4096 px textures or something like that^^