Sign in to follow this  
martinovic

How realistic do you expect ArmA to be?

what about they just give you one life in the game and after you're dead you are DEAD, which means you have to go to a new server.

And if there are any wounded ppl, you as a doctor must perform a surgery on the place to get out the bullet, or whatever the soldier got hurt from.

well.. In my opinion the way it has always worked is that the medic does have some heal packs, and does have something else, to revive critical wounded soldiers, not the hilarious way like in battlefield 2, where someone gets shot by a tank in the face, and then the medic just runs by and yell "Clear!" "Alright Soldier you're good to go, Now get back in to the fight." Just Hilarious.

Anyway, I don't really think they will change so incredible much from the OFP to AA, but probably enough, so you will recognize it as a new game.

I do think the old ways have proven them self.

I agree to a large extent, but would just like to see some kind of penalty (time delay/moved out of the action to a nearby field hostpital or similar) after being seriously wounded. Waiting a couple of seconds while a medic miraculously heals you just seems to easy and doesn't afford enough injury avoidance by the player if he knows that there is a medic nearby able to perform instant miracles on him!

Waiting a couple of seconds while a medic miraculously heals you just seems to easy and doesn't afford enough injury avoidance by the player if he knows that there is a medic nearby able to perform instant miracles on him!

what if your in the battle field?..like normally happens when we are healing and bang..

..waiting even more is not the best option.

i agree something should/could be changed.. but what, how?

the option on carrying/dragging soldiers for safe zone (in order to cover an then heal) would be nice in these moments.

Quote[/b] ]IMO it should be the WGL way (bleeding when hit, medics can stop bleeding) on 'veteran' mode, and the OFP way (magic healing) on 'cadet' mode

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't wgl medics also have the supernatural healing powers? Like first you are hands or legs hit and after a brief visit to the doctor you are in some inexplainable way not. They get you right back to dammage 0.0. It's the mission makers choice really to include those units or medic tents, wgl mod or not.

Yes but you get the point wink_o.gif

I agree to a large extent, but would just like to see some kind of penalty (time delay/moved out of the action to a nearby field hostpital or similar) after being seriously wounded. Waiting a couple of seconds while a medic miraculously heals you just seems to easy and doesn't afford enough injury avoidance by the player if he knows that there is a medic nearby able to perform instant miracles on him!

Man, you must have nerves of steel, if you let the enemy hurt you on the battlefield. If you are shot, theres a great risk that its fatal, rendering any medic useless smile_o.gif

Man, you must have nerves of steel, if you let the enemy hurt you on the battlefield. If you are shot, theres a great risk that its fatal, rendering any medic useless smile_o.gif

I know of a war veteran that was shot many times. Funny how he lived! tounge2.gif  Most bullet wounds aren't fatal unless a head or unprotected chest shot.

Doh! doh.gif Espectro, you've been drinking again I knew it! drunk.gif  tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]I know of a war veteran that was shot many times. Funny how he lived! tounge2.gif Most bullet wounds aren't fatal unless a head or unprotected chest shot.

But did he continue fighting as if nothing had happened right away after getting shot? huh.gif He must've been one though mother****** then.

guerilla @ July 07 2006,17:13)]a good sim would uninstall the game from your HD after you been shoot whistle.gif

a good sim would come with a explosive mouse wich you have to play the game with.

Quote[/b] ]a good sim would uninstall the game from your HD after you been shoot

What a splendid idea, we'd gett rid of the noobs in no time biggrin_o.gif

But did he continue fighting as if nothing had happened right away after getting shot? huh.gif He must've been one though mother****** then.

Yeah! He also fell out of a speeding train and survived! He sure was one tough mother admirer!  tounge2.gif

No one should be able to continue fighting once they've been shot and that includes the AI. A bullet wound is always a serious injury and the pain alone will incapacitate someone. That’s why I would like to see a more realistic health/healing system in ArmA as opposed to the miracle OFP healing system, and as you say remove the ability to continue fighting after receiving a bullet or two.

Maybe being removed to a safe place after calling a medic and not being able to rejoin the fighting for a short time would be better than the current OFP system. I know a balance is needed between realism and gameplay so this is what I'm hinting at.

An explosive mouse is a silly idea Codarl! A monitor mounted forward pointing SAW would be much more realistic!  tounge2.gif

Yes, indeed but you must remember that everyone start up as a newbie, so there wouldn't be anyone left for playing. ^^

With respect to injury realism, I like the idea of adding "incapacitating" injuries to the existing system (optional of course).  In this case, the mortally wounded unit would no longer be functional or even playable, but would go on clinging to life.

Once "incapacitated", the unit may flail, quiver, scream, gasp, attempt however futilely to crawl to safety, and/or do anything else you would expect a mortally wounded soldier to do.  He would go on in this state until he expires or is med-evaced.  With this level of injury, no game-like instant heal can help him. wow_o.gif

If the unit were a player, at the moment of "incapacitation", the player would experience the same "death" as he does currently with OFP (and respawn or not depending on the settings, as currently).  But the incapacitated unit (now controlled by the AI) would remain alive, yet in this death thrall, as described above.

Of course, not all injuries would result in incapacitation, and units could still get killed outright or experience varying degrees of lesser injury, as it is now with OFP.

This could be scripted but would ideally be incorporated into the game engine.  It would expend a small amount of additional resource, but would yield a huge payoff in terms of an amped up level of immersion and be well worth it, IMHO anyhow. tounge2.gif

A vision of Saving Private Ryan comes to mind, in the final battle those two grievously wounded men, feebly dragging their selves along the ground along until they were put out of their misery execution style.  Indeed, the whole thing would be similar to the burning men in ECP, just taken to a whole new level.

Alright, alright... I got a vivid imagination!!!  nener.gif

Aahhh. While this may add a certain 'depth' to the battlefield milieu, it would be (IMHO) so dark a feeling I might not find enjoyment in playing, because the 'realism' is too 'real'.

i.e. war is hell - and I don't want to be in hell.

You do have a point... in fact I recall the first time I loaded ECP up, getting a bit queasy to my stomach when those guys bailed out of that burned up T72, on fire and screaming to their deaths... bonechilling, really.  Hmmm...

It would also be cool if we had AI dragging and/or carrying friendly wounded AI out of harms way.  This would be best integrated into the core game engine, as it would be extremely difficult for a scripter to sync the combined animations (for the two units) and make it look and run like it should.  I can also see having two men carrying a wounded man on a stretcher, which would add quite a realistic environment to friendly bases.

Another realism improvement could be med-evacs (by air or ground) integrated into the core game engine to get those wounded off the battlefield!  I suppose we may see this last one in Game 2, based on the description of an ongoing war where units are issues orders dynamically based on a number of factors inculding proximity (and in this case if they are med-evac or not).

Yup,thats the great thing about the mods,if they do not add it then people can choose to download the effects of watching crews burning to their death,or soldiers being blown to bits by anti tank rifles and tanks themselves,I'm sure you guys remember the one,an effect where,if a person is hit by a strong enough weapon,their body explodes and their skull and a few bones go flying along with a body part or two,and the blood spews out n such,sometimes the bone would get stuck spinning in air,I think it was a leg bone..

Adding realistic limb severing and gore would be the final icing on the cake in terms of enthralling atmosphere. Seeing a friendly soldier get cut up by enemy fire because he wasn’t in cover could really teach the new recruits a lesson.

But it would send the age rating straight to 18+, which necessarily isn’t a bad thing considering it seems to be more of an attraction to the majority of gamers. But most likely frowned upon by publishers.

I hate to critisize, but this thread reaks of 'What question hasn't been asked yet so lets all guess at whats going to be'

speculation +

anyway.. Just My Opinion. banghead.gif

And what's wrong with that? Even the thread's title suggests to speculate: "How realistic do you expect ArmA to be?". Keywords being "you" and "expect".

Another realism improvement could be med-evacs (by air or ground) integrated into the core game engine to get those wounded off the battlefield!

Yes, i think that would be great. It could be something like this: you get wounded, then a helicopter comes and flies you over to some kind of medical base (which is about 1-2 kms away from the battlefield), then you get healed and shipped back to the battlefield (by helicopter or M113 or ...) I think that would be great "punishment" for careless players, to be away from the battle for a while. I know this is not going to be in ArmA, but it's nice to daydream... smile_o.gif

nothin in particular is wrong with it, I'm just wondering what everyone will actually think when they play armed assault and their well reasoned arguments turn out not to be correct or not up to their expectations and the dissapointment that creates...

And what's wrong with that? Even the thread's title suggests to speculate: "How realistic do you expect ArmA to be?". Keywords being "you" and "expect".

That's not really the point. The title of this topic is 'How realistic do you expect ArmA to be?' Any sentences that start with 'I think it would be cool if...' or any itteration thereof belongs in the 'What do you *HOPE* will be in ArmA?' thread. Do you really think that these people who posted previous to you expect there to be Medivac and incapacitation, etc? And then, if you do, do you think that those people believe that the presence or absense of those features are a good indication of the over-all realism of the game?

Quote[/b] ]Do you really think that these people who posted previous to you expect there to be Medivac and incapacitation, etc?

No, of course I don't think that anyone expects medevacs or realistic injuries from vanilla ArmA but almost certainly from mods and user missions. It's an intresting topic for discussion and in my opinion it fits better into a thread about realism than a thread about hopes.

as i asked in other thread if this object exists in arma pic, think it doesn't exit so far..

would be nice to see this wheel exists in ArmA rotating by the trenght of the wind with its respective noise.

salina1.jpg

the nearest thing i noticed are this (maybe) fuel/water tanks

pic 1 and pic 2

thats why i remembered and related to this wheel object that i think it could be very pleasant and creating a more realistic effect on the island/missions.

Animated (working) wind socks at the airfields would be nice. Animated radar dishes would be a nice touch too.