Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Get a HD 4890. It has more memory and GDDR5 vs GDDR3, it is generally faster and AMD has no problems with ArmA.
I'd only go for the HD 4890 if you the 2 GB VRAM version is released.

I still think it's better to wait for the next-gen discrete graphics hardware from AMD which will be near simultaneously released with ArmA 2.

I upgraded 2 weeks ago since my old motherboard died.

I should be ready to handle Arma 2 on high settings.

Intel I7 920 @ 3.2Ghz

6Gig DDR3 OCZ Reaper @2000mhz

2x Samsung spinpoint 1TB

Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme

Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000W

Asus Triton 81 CPU cooler

Coolermaster CM Stacker 832 SE case

The hardware i already had

EVGA GTX280

Logitech G15

Logitech G3

Saitek X52 joystick

Trackir4 + Proclip

Dell 24inch LCD

Razer Barracuda 5.1 headset

Creative 5.1 speakers (prefer the headset)

Windows Vista 64 Ultimate

Bring it on ! Imo they should release a public demo before releasing the actual game so the public can comment on what to improve. From what i have been reading lately is that my biggest concern will be the AI. From looking at the videos i could tell the AI still makes really choppy moves instead of acting as a real player. Time will tell lets just hope for the best.

I should be ready to handle Arma 2 on high settings.

Intel I7 920 @ 3.2Ghz

EVGA GTX280

Windows Vista 64 Ultimate

Yeah, you should... :eek:

I doubt liquid helium is used, as it increases chances of quantum tunneling.

Maybe a hybrid of liquid helium to cool the liquid nitrogen is used.

Anyway, 4 GHz still sounds good. But the i7 920 was easily overclockable to 4 GHz using stock cooling aswell. Although pretty useless as the memory controller isn't overclockable atm.

The D0 stepping is recommended for overclocking though, as the C0 still has issues with even reaching POST at high clockspeeds.

The memory controller (QPI) is overclockable. I know because you can set the IMC to run at 7.2Gt/s and even higher without any side effects.

Intel I7 920 @ 3.2Ghz

2x Samsung spinpoint 1TB

Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme

Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000W

Asus Triton 81 CPU cooler

Coolermaster CM Stacker 832 SE case

That's a pretty low overclock even if it is a C0/C1 chip you should overclock it a bit higher. I'm surprised you didn't do that overclock on the stock cooler. Looks like a nice configuration although I don't see the point in running a 1000W on a single GTX 280.

Edited by Supernova

Liquid helium almost reaches absolute zero. In which quantumtunneling can form due to superconductivity at that range of temperatures of various matters in the CPU die.

Liquid nitrogen doesn't come anywhere near those temperatures.

I'd assume that the actual temperature of the CPU when cooled by liquid nitrogen/helium would be much higher than the actual temperature itself, especially considering that any liquid nitrogen cooling setup I've ever seen is exposed to the air. At any rate, the article said it was a mixture of liquid nitrogen and liquid helium, so I'd guess that would result in something cooler than liquid nitrogen, but higher than that of liquid helium. Maybe that's why they mixed it?

I'd assume that the actual temperature of the CPU when cooled by liquid nitrogen/helium would be much higher than the actual temperature itself, especially considering that any liquid nitrogen cooling setup I've ever seen is exposed to the air. At any rate, the article said it was a mixture of liquid nitrogen and liquid helium, so I'd guess that would result in something cooler than liquid nitrogen, but higher than that of liquid helium. Maybe that's why they mixed it?
If they could tell me how to mix liquid helium with liquid nitrogen, they should call me. :D

I guess it's probably a multi-stage hybrid cooling system, where you have two separate cooling circuits.

I don't know how it works with liquid nitrogen, but if you use liquid helium the temperature is constant everywhere due to it's superconductivity.

Is there anything I should think about before using 4 RAM bricks in all the slots?

I'm thinking about buying two 1gb bricks that are identical to the two I have, adding up to 4gb.

In theory there shouldn't be. However, there are some (particularily cheap older) motherboards don't like being stuffed to maximum capacity. I'd do a google of the model name of your motherboard to see if any issues pop up.

Is there anything I should think about before using 4 RAM bricks in all the slots?

I'm thinking about buying two 1gb bricks that are identical to the two I have, adding up to 4gb.

Overclocking might suffer a bit, because it stresses the memorycontroller more.

Here's a question for you, (apologies if it's already been asked before).

Solid State Drives and the LOD bug.

If I fit a solid state drive and install ArmA on it, will it improve my game experience?

With particular reference to the LOD bug thing, where it takes a long time to draw the textures etc.

Or is this all dealt with by my GFX card, (which is as fast as I'm willing to pay for currently).

If I fit a solid state drive and install ArmA on it, will it improve my game experience?
As long as it's seek times and load speeds are faster then your HDD, yes.
With particular reference to the LOD bug thing, where it takes a long time to draw the textures etc.

Or is this all dealt with by my GFX card, (which is as fast as I'm willing to pay for currently).

That, your CPU and RAM memory.

In any case, if you want the optimum discrete graphics hardware setup look for a graphics card with the highest non-random memory bandwidth and the largest framebuffer (VRAM).

That would either be the HD4890 2GB or the GTX285 2GB.

As long as it's seek times and load speeds are faster then your HDD, yes.That, your CPU and RAM memory.

In any case, if you want the optimum discrete graphics hardware setup look for a graphics card with the highest non-random memory bandwidth and the largest framebuffer (VRAM).

That would either be the HD4890 2GB or the GTX285 2GB.

Stop speaking nonsense. There is no 4890 with a 2GB frame buffer unless you were referring to the Vapor-X 4870 (Sapphire) that has a 2GB frame buffer on a non-reference 4870 model. 4890's come in 1GB frame buffers not 2GB. The GTX 285 does not come in 2GB frame buffers either (other than a certain non-reference model by Palit and also a non-reference model by Galaxy). I don't know where you are making up this information but you are misinforming those with little to no knowledge on this subject. The extra 1GB in the Palit GTX 285 does not make any difference in gaming as shown with the Vapor-X 2GB 4870.

You still have dual channel memory bandwidth but overclocking as others said will be harder to achieve. The more DIMM slots that are filled up the higher the stress on the CPU and the IMC which makes it harder to get a stable overclock.

Edited by Supernova

Stop speaking nonsense. There is no 4890 with a 2GB frame buffer unless you were referring to the Vapor-X 4870 (Sapphire) that has a 2GB frame buffer on a non-reference 4870 model. 4890's come in 1GB frame buffers not 2GB. The GTX 285 does not come in 2GB frame buffers either (other than a certain non-reference model by Palit and also a non-reference model by Galaxy). I don't know where you are making up this information but you are misinforming those with little to no knowledge on this subject. The extra 1GB in the Palit GTX 285 does not make any difference in gaming as shown with the Vapor-X 2GB 4870.
Excuse me, yes I mean the Sapphire HD4870 2GB.

LOD isn't relative to framebuffer anyway. But it can be influenced by lack of bandwidth.

Atm, I have an Ultra320 SCSI setup which is pretty fast, though I still get LOD popups in some games. But if I use the Intel X25 (which is SATA/300 btw) every game boots much faster and LOD popups aren't (barely) noticeable anymore...

Edited by SgtH3nry3

Thanks for the advice. I'll give one a go then.

Hey Lads, I'm thinking of getting this new system;

CPU: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core AM2+ 2400MHZ 4MB Cache $213

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 AM2+/AM2 DDR2 2x PCI-Ex16 SATAII RAID USB2.0 GbE ATX $183

Ram: G.Skill DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC8500 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15(F2-8500CL5D-2GBPI ) $69 (Already have 2GB)

HDD: Samsung 1TB SATA II 7200RPM 32M $149

GPU: Gigabyte GTX285 PCI-E 2.0 1GB DDR3 Dual Dual-Link DVI HDCP Fan $568

Monitor: BenQ E2400HD 24 inch 2ms Full HD Widescreen LCD Monitor $339

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Card PCI Express Retail Package $55

Speakers: Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers System $129

TOTAL: $1705

Now, I'm considering of going to the Intel i7 CPU, which includes ddr3 ram also, now, would there be a significant increase in ArmA 1 and 2 from this system above to a Intel i7 pc? Also, how do you think it will perform in ArmA 1 and 2?

Cheers lads

You'd probably be just as better off going with the Phenom II and save money by sticking with DDR2 and Socket AM2+. Or if you are prepared to wait some time, wait for the Core i5 to come out. The Core i7s are by far the best CPUs available, but whether they're fast enough to justify the rather significant price jump over their competitors is questionable.

Either way, stay away from the original Phenoms, they are shit.

Edited by echo1

what can i expect from ArmA2 with my Phenom x4 9950, HD gigabyte 4850 1gb OC and 4 gb ram?

It will probably run it at medium-ish settings. Of course, no one can be certain until it comes out.

I hope mediumish settings dont make the game look like something from 2002.

Let's hope not :wink_o:

Edited by echo1

I don't know if this is the right place to do this, but I'm wondering how it costs to upgrade a PC with multi-core cpu's. I know the PC version will require this and I want this game for the PC as much as I want to get it for my Xbox 360. If anyone knows, then please tell me and If you can, can you try to lis the price in US dollars, since I'm from the US.

Don't really think this is the place for this... but to awnser your question, your generally looking at between $200-$800 depending on the processor you buy. If you go for something a tab bit older like an Intel Core 2 Quad (2.4gig), its gonna be between $200-$300. Newer processors will be more... your best bet to check prices is just go to google shopping and search (be careful buying from some of the sites that come up, especially ones with dirt cheap prices).

If you want to play it safe, since you are in the U.S. I'd suggest you check out either Newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com for your pc parts. I haven't shopped at Tigerdirect, but I can vouch for Newegg as being fairly reliable, and with automatic 3 day shipping. In the event of DOA parts I'd look over their return policy before you make a purchase for vital parts like a CPU.

As for processors, you need to know that for which processor you are looking for, will highly depend on the motherboard you have or plan to use. I7's will require the newer LGA 1366 socket motherboards. As Stakex suggested, the older Core2Quads will be much cheaper and work with the older LGA 775 sockets. I have a Q6600 G0 (stepping) and it's done me very well and it runs around $200 to $230 these days. It overclocks pretty well too if you hold any interest in that.

This thread is likely to get moved, but to get more help you might want to post what your actual intensions are, as in are you just planning on upgrading your processor? Are there any other parts you plan on upgrading as well? And will they be compatable with any of your pre-existing parts.

I dont bother with PC parts upgrading, I just upgrade my entire system every 3 years. That is new mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, sub woofer and finally computer tower with all new latest parts.

Fully new workstation !!!!! ...err gamestation.

Ok new setup plans, should run better:

GTX 275 896MB (x2 eventually?)

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V

EVGA 132-YW-E178-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI FTW ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache

2gigs of RAM (Will get 4 by release date)

Aeroracer case or whatever it's called... the one with the 400mm fan...