Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

I dont bother with PC parts upgrading, I just upgrade my entire system every 3 years. That is new mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, sub woofer and finally computer tower with all new latest parts.

Fully new workstation !!!!! ...err gamestation.

You must purchase at least a graphics card right? Or do you stick with integrated? :p

I don't know if this is the right place to do this, but I'm wondering how it costs to upgrade a PC with multi-core cpu's. I know the PC version will require this and I want this game for the PC as much as I want to get it for my Xbox 360. If anyone knows, then please tell me and If you can, can you try to lis the price in US dollars, since I'm from the US.

What kind of system do you have at the moment? It's possible that you'll be able to upgrade with minimal costs (i.e. just buy a new CPU), but if you're unlucky you might need a new motherboard, which could mean new RAM, a new graphics card and possibly other components.

Here are two examples:

Best case scenario - you have a Socket 775 or 939/AM2 motherboard that supports dual cores. All you need is the new CPU and perhaps a new heatsink. You could be looking at about 200-300$

Worst case scenario - you have an old Socket A or similar motherboard with DDR1 RAM, an AGP slot graphics card and a 300w PSU. In that case you will probably need to upgrade your entire system. That will cost you a whole lot more.

First off, I wouldn't bother with SLI, it always ends up being more trouble than its worth. Just stick to the one card.

Secondly, CPU wise I'd scratch the nvidia-based motherboard and the Q9550. I'd go for a Phenom II X4 955, which is faster, cheaper and more overclockable. Pair it with one of these and you have a good system.

What kind of system do you have at the moment? It's possible that you'll be able to upgrade with minimal costs (i.e. just buy a new CPU), but if you're unlucky you might need a new motherboard, which could mean new RAM, a new graphics card and possibly other components.

Here are two examples:

Best case scenario - you have a Socket 775 or 939/AM2 motherboard that supports dual cores. All you need is the new CPU and perhaps a new heatsink. You could be looking at about 200-300$

Worst case scenario - you have an old Socket A or similar motherboard with DDR1 RAM, an AGP slot graphics card and a 300w PSU. In that case you will probably need to upgrade your entire system. That will cost you a whole lot more.

My computer is an HP Pavilion a1723w with an Intel Pentium 4 processer.

Pentium 4? Ouch.

Problem is that your computer's motherboard won't work with a newer CPU. So, you're going to have to replace your CPU, your motherboard, more than likely you will have to replace your PSU too. Unless you have upgraded your Graphics Card since you bought the PC, you'll most definitely need a new one of those too.

Basically, you need a new computer I'm afraid. :(

Pentium 4? Ouch.

Problem is that your computer's motherboard won't work with a newer CPU. So, you're going to have to replace your CPU, your motherboard, more than likely you will have to replace your PSU too. Unless you have upgraded your Graphics Card since you bought the PC, you'll most definitely need a new one of those too.

Basically, you need a new computer I'm afraid. :(

Actually, I just found out that it's an intel pentium D, but I will still need a new computer.

Yeah, what I said above is still applicable with the Pentium D instead of Pentium 4.

Yeah, what I said above is still applicable with the Pentium D instead of Pentium 4.

According to wikipedia, the minium requirements for the game are CPU that's 2.66GHz or faster and 1 GB. I think my computer has those, but would I still need a new computer? You know, if Bohemia had announced ArmA 2 for the xbox 360, then I wouldn't be having this problem! Hopefully, they will announce something soon about. If I do need a new computer, than I'm just gonna wait for a Xbox 360 version, as it would be much more worth it, than buying a $1,000 computer!

ok. Been looking at my PC spec's see if I can run ARMA2. I think I just scrape by on the skin of my teeth. But just to be sure and since I know nothing about computer stuff. I though I ask here

Intel Pentium 4 CP, 3.00Ghz

Nvidia GeForce 9400GT

1GB Ram

I am going to get a new CPU once i get the money. and maybe some more RAM. Is that good enough and what kinda CPU should I be looking to buy?

According to wikipedia, the minium requirements for the game are CPU that's 2.66GHz or faster and 1 GB.

Yeah, just saw those system specs which were lower than the other ones I had seen. Guess you might be good to go with the old Pentium D. What sort of graphics card do you have then?

ok. Been looking at my PC spec's see if I can run ARMA2. I think I just scrape by on the skin of my teeth. But just to be sure and since I know nothing about computer stuff. I though I ask here

Intel Pentium 4 CP, 3.00Ghz

Nvidia GeForce 9400GT

1GB Ram

The 9400GT isn't a good card, and the Pentium 4 will definitely need to be upgraded (all system requirements I've seen have been dual core minimum). What sort of motherboard do you have?

Dont know. but its probbly really crappy lol

In my previous post I was advising ppl to hold off with Upgrading, which also was my plan aswell.

However, due to my instable Core 2 system (usually bluescreens with nvldkm.sys; believe me, i've tried everything :D), I had to upgrade myself.

I've upgraded from Core 2 Quad at 3.33ghz to a Core i7 at 2.66ghz (6GB DDR3-1600), decided to wait for the new revisions later this year/next year, before stepping up higher.

(depending on the load, it overclocks or downclocks, have seen automatic overclocks till 3200mhz already).

My system is completely stable now, which is a big relief for me. I was afraid that the G80 and 200 series Nvidia cards were simply flawed, since I had the same bluescreens with my 8800 GTX as I had with my GTX 280; But, clearly it was related to my system :)

However, 3d performance hasn't really increased dramatically. Some effect settings, most notably Post Processing, can cut my FPS in half. The same issue arrises with the Occlussion mapping in the new Riddick game. (I know these effects can have a high impact, but I notice the impact much greater than with my Core2 system)

After some ??? and research, mostly fueled by the fact that the Core i7 is noticeably more powerful than the Core 2, I seem to have found the problem!

As it seems, Nvidia cards/drivers have problems with Core i7/X58 systems;

If you put the same Nvidia card in a Phenom system, they blow the Core i7 massively out of the water.

But the funny thing is, when you put an AMD card in either system, it is the Core i7 who shows it's muscles :)

This IMO makes the article that Nvidia posted recently, about Core i7 not being that great, and ppl can much better invest in GPU's, a bit ackward :)

In any case, im glad im fully stable and awesomely performing in my all day tasks, and what not, though it's a pitty im 'stuck' with a GTX 280 which performs far under the bar on the Core i7.

I hope drivers will resolve this issue, otherwise im bound to the next generation AMD or Nvidia Cards (if they resolved their issues!)

(ArmA Settings: 2560x1600, 3500m viewdistance, everything very high; 60 fps in desert/bare land, 30 fps elsewhere, 20-30 fps forest areas)

PS: I know AMD has much more attractive offers for Gamers. Bang for your Buck, though my Rig is also my Home Server with various tasks etc; the i7 was most interesting for me

Sources:

Edited by Sickboy

Dont know. but its probbly really crappy lol

Download and run CPU-Z, and find out what sort of chipset your have in your motherboard. If the computer has been made in the past two years or so, you may be able to upgrade it to something good without spending too much money.

@Sickboy:

Interesting stuff there, thanks for bringing it up. Good thing I'm going for an Phenom II for my next upgrade.

Yeah, just saw those system specs which were lower than the other ones I had seen. Guess you might be good to go with the old Pentium D. What sort of graphics card do you have then?

The 9400GT isn't a good card, and the Pentium 4 will definitely need to be upgraded (all system requirements I've seen have been dual core minimum). What sort of motherboard do you have?

I don't know what type of graphics card I have, but I know it has a performance score of 3.2 and my CPU has 2.80GHz with 1,014 MB of memory and it is a 32-bit operating system.

Go to System Properties in the control panel, and select Device manager from the pane on the right. Click the plus icon beside the "Display Adaptor" icon, and that should tell you what you have.

That said, if it's only 3.2 on the Vista benchmark, it's probably going to be a slow one.

Go to System Properties in the control panel, and select Device manager from the pane on the right. Click the plus icon beside the "Display Adaptor" icon, and that should tell you what you have.

That said, if it's only 3.2 on the Vista benchmark, it's probably going to be a slow one.

I did what you told me and it says I have a Intel 82945G chipset. So, will my computer be able to run this with the minium requirements?

You might be able to install a proper graphics card, but this may also require you to replace your power supply unit to.

I dont bother with PC parts upgrading, I just upgrade my entire system every 3 years. That is new mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, sub woofer and finally computer tower with all new latest parts.

The peripherals that come with pre-made computers are terrible. I used to always replace them before I started building my own PCs.

Edited by echo1

According to this: http://www.armedassault.info/ the minimum specs are out.

The minimum system requirements:

• Dual Core CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200 + or faster)

On my secondary PC I have a AMD Athlon64 3500+ which is single core, just like the above mentioned 3200+ :confused: . Neither of these are dual core, so what gives? Will it work on these single core CPUs?

I think that site got their technical facts mixed up. The official requirements on the official site recommend dual core as minimum, so I'd go with that rather than with the site that doesn't seem to know what they are on about.

According to this: http://www.armedassault.info/ the minimum specs are out.

The minimum system requirements:

• Dual Core CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200 + or faster)

On my secondary PC I have a AMD Athlon64 3500+ which is single core, just like the above mentioned 3200+ :confused: . Neither of these are dual core, so what gives? Will it work on these single core CPUs?

I think thet mean AMD x2's, but AFAIK there is no x2 3200+(Starts @ 3800+ i think), there is also no dual core P4 i know of. So they probably just got it wrong.

I think thet mean AMD x2's, but AFAIK there is no x2 3200+(Starts @ 3800+ i think), there is also no dual core P4 i know of. So they probably just got it wrong.

Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core is afaik Intel Pentium D, so maybe wrong description, but it exists :)

Well, the Pentium D is a dual core Pentium 4. Again, I think they just mixed up nomenclature. I'd say they meant a 3GHz Pentium D, or a 2GHz Athlon 64 X2 or Pentium Dual Core or a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo.

Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core is afaik Intel Pentium D, so maybe wrong description, but it exists :)

What i meant was that its not classed as a P4, right now some P4 people may be full of false hope because they read that. :D

I dont reach the minimumspecs though, ill just wait until the game comes out and then upgrade, i wanted to upgrade already but there is no point in doing it right now and the longer i wait the more money i save. :p

You might be able to install a proper graphics card, but this may also require you to replace your power supply unit to.

The peripherals that come with pre-made computers are terrible. I used to always replace them before I started building my own PCs.

If I need a new graphics card and power unit, then which ones will work on my computer?