Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Claiming Nvidia drivers are better than ATI drivers makes you a true Nvidia fanboy. The Rampage II extreme is by far the best X58 motherboard available and in benchmarks and reviews outperforms the GIGABYTE EX58 EXTREME. This board is also the best for overclocking i7 cpu's and has set world records.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe if you knew half as much as you claim to know about computers you'd appreciate that fact  wink_o.gif

rofl.gif. Go attack people somewhere else.

Claiming Nvidia drivers are better than ATI drivers makes you a true Nvidia fanboy.

Unless you have something objective to back up your claim, you are an ATI fanboy by your own logic. I refer to the bit where I said "in my own experience". Now, I never said nVidia drivers are perfect, and I have no problems admitting that I've had more than a few problems. It's just that I've had much more with ATI drivers. My problem with your "proof" that nVidia drivers are inferior, is that it makes absolutely no sense. Graphics cards drivers are extraordinarily complicated pieces of software. No matter how hard you try, there will always be A) bugs, lots of bugs and B) some new game that comes onto the market that doesn't work nicely with your pre-existing software that causes it to fuck up. So generally, regular updates are a good thing. Software that isn't updated regularily tends to suck. Eg - Anything made by Microsoft. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]This board is also the best for overclocking i7 cpu's and has set world records.

For the rest of us who don't spend our days pouring LN2 onto our CPUs, there isn't any real substantial reason to spend about €100 extra on the ASUS board. Sure it has some higher overclocking headroom, but with the money that you'd need to get fancy watercooling and RAM to make the most of it, you'd be better off just buying a faster graphics card or something.

Claiming Nvidia drivers are better than ATI drivers makes you a true Nvidia fanboy.

Unless you have something objective to back up your claim, you are an ATI fanboy by your own logic. I refer to the bit where I said "in my own experience". Now, I never said nVidia drivers are perfect, and I have no problems admitting that I've had more than a few problems. It's just that I've had much more with ATI drivers. My problem with your "proof" that nVidia drivers are inferior, is that it makes absolutely no sense. Graphics cards drivers are extraordinarily complicated pieces of software. No matter how hard you try, there will always be A) bugs, lots of bugs and B) some new game that comes onto the market that doesn't work nicely with your pre-existing software that causes it to fuck up. So generally, regular updates are a good thing. Software that isn't updated regularily tends to suck. Eg - Anything made by Microsoft. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]This board is also the best for overclocking i7 cpu's and has set world records.

For the rest of us who don't spend our days pouring LN2 onto our CPUs, there isn't any real substantial reason to spend about €100 extra on the ASUS board. Sure it has some higher overclocking headroom, but with the money that you'd need to get fancy watercooling and RAM to make the most of it, you'd be better off just buying a faster graphics card or something.

Yea I am a real fanboy because I have owned and used both products made by AMD/Intel Nvidia/ATI. rofl.gif .

With Gigabyte's RMA being as horrible as it these days the Asus Rampage II extreme has more features , better warranty etc... over the Gigabyte EX58 extreme. Infact Asus has recently offered their premium service whice allows faster servicing for their ROG boards which means no longer waiting months for a refurbished board. Fact of the matter is the EX58 Extreme made by Gigabyte the only potential overclocking advantage it has is for the i7 920 but otherwise the Rampage II Extreme will push the 940 and the 965 to higher speeds than you would get with overclocking the i7 920. Infact using Nvidia drivers has given me more headaches and bsod's than I have ever encountered with ATI's drivers and other than some small bugs with the Catalyst 9.2's they release pretty solid drivers. I would say though that if Rebl_Man doesn't want the Asus X58 motherboards he can always look at the EVGA X58 SLI. It's quite a solid and stable board and has great support.

Yea I am a real fanboy because I have owned and used both products made by AMD/Intel Nvidia/ATI. rofl.gif .

I think you are ignoring my point wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Fact of the matter is the EX58 Extreme made by Gigabyte the only potential overclocking advantage it has is for the i7 920 but otherwise the Rampage II Extreme will push the 940 and the 965 to higher speeds than you would get with overclocking the i7 920.

Gigabyte EX58 + Core i7 920 - ~€500

ASUS P6 + Core i7 965 - ~€1,300

Remember that the average person doesnt have a bottomless pit of money for use as a hardware budget. (as much as I wish) Now, unless you can overclock the latter to something like 10GHz, I think I know which one makes more sense. wink_o.gif

Sorry to bother you guys again. I have a problem. Whenever I go over 2 gigs of ram in my rig, during startup I get 3 long and prelonged beeps. It says it's gonna start in safe mode, but it actually doesn't. Whether it's 3 or 4 gigs it happens. I have Windows XP home edition.

All sticks are 1 gig a piece. All Crucial pc 5300 ram. Exactly the same. I go to the sytem properties menu and it registers all 4 gigs. Everything seems to work fine too. Same thing happens if I put three in.

I've tried the following:

1. Made sure all sticks are in the slots completly.

2. Rotated all the sticks in diffrenet positions. Tried every which way possible. Even for the three gigs.

3. Mother board drivers are up to date. (Nvidia nforce 520le)

4. BIOS is up to date.

Could you tell me the following -

What model of motherboard do you have?

What sort of PSU do you have?

What do the beeps correspond to in the Motherboard's manual?

Could you tell me the following -

What model of motherboard do you have?

What sort of PSU do you have?

What do the beeps correspond to in the Motherboard's manual?

Hi,

Motherboard is Nvidia nForce 520le

PSU is Antec 500 watt

I lost the manual.

Everytime I restart the computer everthing is fine. But say 9 out of 10 times this happens in boot up. The screen that comes up says something about cmos.  I'll try to get a screen shot the next time if I can.  Thanks.

The nVidia nForce is the chipset on the motherboard. I was asking what brand and model of motherboard you have. Download CPU-Z if you are not sure. It should be easy to find an online manual if you know what board you have.

The nVidia nForce is the chipset on the motherboard. I was asking what brand and model of motherboard you have. Download CPU-Z if you are not sure. It should be easy to find an online manual if you know what board you have.

Alternatively you can Use SiSoft Everest to determine the exact information relating to you're pc system.

CPU-Z tells you the model and make of the motherboard. Which is what I was looking for. No need to download extra crap for un-needed functionality.

Hi,

Manufactuer: Acer

Model: EM61SM/EM61PM

Chipset: Nvidia MCP61

If you need to see any more of the information let me know.

Oh right, this is a PC you bought in a shop as opposed to one you built yourself. Go into Acer's site and look for the model of system you have.You should be able to find manuals there.

Any word/rumor/idea yet on what will be best for ArmaII?

Since they are the same price (in France anyways) I have the choice between E8400 and Q8200 to put on my asus P5b...

I read everwhere E is better for games, but didnt Maruk said ArmaII will take advantage of multi cores? (or did he sais dual cores?)

Any advice/supposition/opinion welcome smile_o.gif

It's meant to be optimized for multiple cores (ie. more than one). So we can only assume that it scales well from two cores to four. Have you considered a Phenom II quad core? They're probably a better choice for a cheap quad core. Of course, if you already have an appropriate LGA 775 board, a Q8200 is still a sound choice.

Indeed. Wait for the AM3 Phenom II X4 lineup to be fully released before picking up a multi-core for Armed Assault II.

Well yeah I want to keep the cost low and spend my 150 euros on the processor only. So I am limited between the two CPUs mentionned above to put in my existing P5b... and hope for the best (some people have bad luck sticking latest 775 CPUs in P5B depending on the memory you can run into problems such as the bios not posting at all, even with an up to date Bios).

No cash for Core I7 yet  confused_o.gif

Wait for the AM3 Phenom II X4 lineup to be fully

No point. There's no real difference in performance between the two, and DDR3 is still stupidly overpriced. (2x the price for basically the same performance)

EDIT: Unless of course you mean waiting until more AM3 chips out to push down the price of the AM2+ ones? In that case, you might be better off waiting for Core i5 chips.

Hail to the Cheap tounge2.gif

Case: HEC Black/Silver SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower

PSU: 485W (Included w/ Case)

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM

CPU: AMD Sempron LE-1200 Sparta 2.1GHz

Memory: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB)

HD: Western Digital Caviar 80GB

Monitor: Hanns·G HX-191DPB Black 19"

D Drive: LITE-ON DVD-ROM

Cost: $432.92

Couple of questions:

1. Any other ways that I can skimp on the cash? This computer is supposed to be a budget home system for accessing the Internets and running a word processor.

2. The Mobo has an onboard ATI Radeon HD 2100. Will that be enough to run the display at 1280x1024?

2 - Yep, onboard graphics will handle just anything up to and including a 24" screen (just don't expect to do any 3D stuff.)

1 - Have you considered Linux? It would chop about 20-25% off your price, and if you are just using it for internet, music or office, it would be just as good as Vista. (Better even as it won't run like a dog and crash every 20 minutes tounge2.gif)

Well, as long as installing Linux doesn't involve excessive amounts of work, it sounds like a good deal. Ubuntu is the only Linux-based OS I've heard of. Is that good, or should I be looking for something else?

Hail to the Cheap 2.0 tounge2.gif

Cost: $332.92

Well, as long as installing Linux doesn't involve excessive amounts of work, it sounds like a good deal. Ubuntu is the only Linux-based OS I've heard of. Is that good, or should I be looking for something else?

Hail to the Cheap 2.0 tounge2.gif

Cost: $332.92

Ubuntu is very easy to install. It comes with most of the software that you will need, and anything else is easy to install. Post here if you need any help with it!

I had a Lite-On DVD writer a while ago - it was crap. Couldn't read DVD-R discs from a friend that used his LG DVD writer to put stuff on them, but those discs worked in everything else.

And then after a while it died. Can't remember how long, less than 2 years I think.

Replaced it with an LG that has been great for the 4 or so years I've had it.

Hail to the Cheap 2.1

D Drive: LG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

Cost: $333.92

Wow, a whole extra dollar yay.gif .

I had a Lite-On DVD writer a while ago - it was crap. Couldn't read DVD-R discs from a friend that used his LG DVD writer to put stuff on them, but those discs worked in everything else.

And then after a while it died. Can't remember how long, less than 2 years I think.

Replaced it with an LG that has been great for the 4 or so years I've had it.

I have a Lite-On DVD drive, and there's one in my Mother's PC, both about two years old. Havent had issues with either.