Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

My Lite-On lasted a bit over 3 years, after a bit over 2 years it just started to 'disappear' from windows and corrupt written data, first very rarely but getting exponentially worse when time passed. It did start to dislike RW discs quite some time before -/+R discs..

Then it had a meeting with my shotgun tounge2.gif

Optical drives tend to be quite tempermental (read unreliable), I've had more than a few die on me since I've started using PCs. Good thing that theyre so cheap!

Well it looks like i will be settling for the GTX 295, or 285. But will  I have to replace my mother board and CPU? And what would you guys suggest, AMD or Intel?

Probably an Intel i7 for pure power (And higher price tag), or the AMD Phenom II 940 for a more affordable but still powerful solution. I'm an AMD fan myself, but the i7s are currently the heavyweights. They just require a more expensive mobo and RAM.

Edit: I don't know what your old CPU is, but I'd bet there's a high chance of bottlenecking if you keep the old CPU and stick a GTX 295 in.

Well it looks like i will be settling for the GTX 295, or 285. But will  I have to replace my mother board and CPU? And what would you guys suggest, AMD or Intel?

For such a powerful graphics card, I'd definitely go for a Core i7 920 and something like a Gigabyte EX58-UD4. As for the card - I'd go for the GTX285. The performance of Dual GPU cards can be rather unreliable. Oh, and make sure your PSU is good enough,

Don't bother. Wait for the launch of RV790 on the April 6th. Unless you want to max out Crysis there is no need for a 285/295. Infact those are overpriced video cards when the AMD video cards perform nearly equally. I know coming from a Quad-SLI 295 owner but these cards just require too much energy and put off enough heat to heat a house in Antarctica wink_o.gif. A core i7 solution will put you off alot of money because you need a new cpu , x58 motherboard (asus/gigabyte preferably) and triple channel ddr3 memory kit. I'd go for the RV790 (1gb OC) model combined with the Phenom X4 II 940 , Asus M479 Deluxe and Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 4GB kit (with memory fan). Almost forget you definitely need a new power supply something in the range of 750 Watts for the 295/285 (Corsair TX 750) and you might look into better airflow/cooling for the GTX 295/285 possibly in the form of a better case.

A guy walks into a forum looking for advice on a new CPU and motherboard. The response he gets -

Quote[/b] ]A core i7 solution will put you off alot of money because you need a new cpu , x58 motherboard

Classic. wink_o.gif

Incidentally, you don't actually need to buy triple channel memory kits for the Core i7, all the benchmarks I've seen indicate that the difference between it and dual-channel is negligible. You'd get the triple channel kits to cram more RAM into your motherboards, not to make your PC go faster. If you don't need more than 2 or 4 gigs of RAM, dont buy it.

A guy walks into a forum looking for advice on a new CPU and motherboard. The response he gets -
Quote[/b] ]A core i7 solution will put you off alot of money because you need a new cpu , x58 motherboard

Classic. wink_o.gif

Incidentally, you don't actually need to buy triple channel memory kits for the Core i7, all the benchmarks I've seen indicate that the difference between it and dual-channel is negligible. You'd get the triple channel kits to cram more RAM into your motherboards, not to make your PC go faster. If you don't need more than 2 or 4 gigs of RAM, dont buy it.

rofl.gif . You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes down to the core i7 cpu's. They need memory kits with a voltage that doesnt exceed 1.65v (triple channel memory kits provide those only). Those 2gb and 4gb kits exceed 1.65v and will incidentally damage the memory controller on the i7. Thanks for giving me a great laugh.

rofl.gif . You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes down to the core i7 cpu's. They need memory kits with a voltage that doesnt exceed 1.65v (triple channel memory kits provide those only). Those 2gb and 4gb kits exceed 1.65v and will incidentally damage the memory controller on the i7. Thanks for giving me a great laugh.

Lolwut?

The standard voltage of DDR3 is 1.5V. The only circumstances under which any memory stick will exceed its standard voltage is if you overvolt it in the BIOS. The quantity of RAM has absolutely nothing to do with the voltage at which the RAM runs. Further more, if what you are saying is true, that would mean that the benchmarks I read couldn't have possibly been carried  out (Do a quick google of "Core i7 Dual Channel"). What you're saying makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and give the impression that you don't know anything, and are merely repeating misinterpretations of things you've read on websites of questionable quality.

In future, if you are going to call someone ignorant, make sure you get the facts right. It's rather humorous when these things backfire on you.  wink_o.gif

Lolwut?

The standard voltage of DDR3 is 1.5V. The only circumstances under which any memory stick will exceed its standard voltage is if you overvolt it in the BIOS. The quantity of RAM has absolutely nothing to do with the voltage at which the RAM runs. Further more, if what you are saying is true, that would mean that the benchmarks I read couldn't have possibly been carried  out (Do a quick google of "Core i7 Dual Channel"). What you're saying makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and give the impression that you don't know anything, and are merely repeating misinterpretations of things you've read on websites of questionable quality.

In future, if you are going to call someone ignorant, make sure you get the facts right. It's rather humorous when these things backfire on you.  wink_o.gif

Yea why dont you take you're own advice and stop posting bollocks and just google it. Then you would realize that unless those memory kits are triple channel they exceeed the maximum allowed voltage for the i7 cpu's which is 1.65v (you can set them to 1.66v but no further). Just because the DDR3 JEDEC spec calls for 1.5v doesn't mean anything. You suggested those DDR3 2GB/4GB kits but why don't you look at their voltage at which they are rated to operate at. It's just pointless arguing with somebody who has no hands on experience or complete knowledge on the i7.

it_photo_103917_26.jpg

Btw: http://hothardware.com/Article....?page=1

TRIPLE CHANNEL is the recommended configuration for X58 motherboards. It doesn't fill up the whole motherboard right away unless you have 2 TRIPLE CHANNEL kits. rofl.gif

Universal -

I suggest you do the following -

1) Re-read my post again

2) Explain to me how that picture proves your point (It says not to exceed 1.65V. It says nothing about triple or double channel RAM.)

3) Provide some tangible proof that the quantity of RAM affects the voltages at which they operate.

4) If what you are saying is true, the benchmarks I read wouldnt work. Explain that.

5) Explain why the motherboards for Core i7 provide support for dual channel if it would cause it to explode or burn out like you claim.

Basically, to sum it up -

Quote[/b] ]Yea why dont you take you're own advice and stop posting bollocks and just google it... It's just pointless arguing with somebody who has no hands on experience or complete knowledge on the i7.

Couldnt have put it better myself really...

I have to side with ch.

I've no idea what you're Googling but it's probably different thing I am.

So far all my results say that the memory voltage should not exceed 1.65V. That is further supported by your picture.

I do not understand in which way whether the DIMM is dual, triple or quadrillion channel affects their operational voltage.

In fact it all just comes down to the model itself.

There are dual channel DIMMs that run at 1.9V, but also those that run at just 1.5.

Often certain chips are marketed as being for higher voltages than standard (I've seen a few 1.7 or 1.9 V DDR3 sets around). However, these don't actually need to be run at that voltage to operate (or else they wouldnt be allowed to class the RAM as DDR3) - its merely a case that they are designed to be able to run stable at such voltages if it is required. The motherboard isn't going to automatically run the chips at a voltage that would cause the CPU to fry itself of its own accord either!

Often certain chips are marketed as being for higher voltages than standard (I've seen a few 1.7 or 1.9 V DDR3 sets around). However, these don't actually need to be run at that voltage to operate (or else they wouldnt be allowed to class the RAM as DDR3) - its merely a case that they are designed to be able to run stable at such voltages if it is required. The motherboard isn't going to automatically run the chips at a voltage that would cause the CPU to fry itself of its own accord either!

Yea make up some information to not admit you are wrong. I7 requires that the memory kits not exceed 1.65v (a .5 to 1.66v volt is okay). The reason for this limitation is due to Intel's first generation IMC implemented in the Nehalem architecture Bloomfield cpu's. Motherboard's designed for the X58 don't allow memory kits to properly run that exceed 1.65v and in the BIOS you cannot exceed 1.65v when you are setting the DRAM voltage. Previous chipsets didn't really have a voltage limitation thats why you can find 2.0v and higher overclocked kits that work on the X48 and previous chipsets with some fiddling without problems. With X58 it's different you need low voltage triple channel kits. How many times do I have to repeat myself so that you can finally admit you are wrong. You clearly are inexperienced and misinformed in the matters of the i7 cpu's.

http://www.intel.com/en_US/Assets/PDF/prodspec/XMP_core_i7_02_09.pdf

http://www.intel.com/en_US....ei7.pdf

You don't see memory kits over 1.65v listed because they are not COMPATIBLE. Keep arguing on this matter and you will dig a hole deeper and deeper for yourself.

Universal -

If you have a problem reading English, then don't post on an English speaking forum..

Nobody ever questioned the 1.65V limitation of i7. What I question is your assertion that the amount of RAM channels somehow magically affects the voltage at which your RAM chips operate. You have yet to provide a single piece of evidence to back up this claim, and have ignored the information I have shown that shows that it is wrong. You have started an argument and repeatedly flamed me over things that you seem to think I've said, but haven't. Again, I refer to this which uses your beloved P6T board.

Case closed as far as I am concerned.

1. I don't assert that the amount of ram channels affects the voltage. This is because I have seen triple channel memory kits that operate at 1.5v from numerous manufacturers. Also you could run a dual channel DDR3 memory kit from 1.5v to 1.65v but why would you when the motherboards have six dimm slots and are designed specifically for triple channel. Tweaktown is far from a reliable source , their P45 vs X48 crossfire performance review is highly disputed because the results have been disproved. The P6T is not my beloved board I use the EVGA X58 SLI at the moment.

1. I don't assert that the amount of ram channels affects the voltage. This is because I have seen triple channel memory kits that operate at 1.5v from numerous manufacturers. Also you could run a dual channel DDR3 memory kit from 1.5v to 1.65v but why would you when the motherboards have six dimm slots and are designed specifically for triple channel. Tweaktown is far from a reliable source , their P45 vs X48 crossfire performance review is highly disputed because the results have been disproved. The P6T is not my beloved board I use the EVGA X58 SLI at the moment.

1. I pointed out that someone buying a Core i7 could save money by getting dual channel RAM. You responded by asserting that this would damage the CPU as only triple-channel can run under the 1.65V limit. Learn to read.

2. Tweaktown was the first thing that came up when I Googled it. I've seen plenty of other sites do the same test with similar results.

The moral of the story - never accuse someone of "posting bollocks" if you aren't prepared to read what they're saying in the first place. wink_o.gif

Hi guys. Just a quick question do u really need to have a triplehead2go box or can u get it without one. I'm running 2 BFGTech GTX280OCX's any help would be great

As far as I know, it either that or buying a third G-Card.

Woa, this is too much technical info to absorb here, let me take a breather crazy_o.gif

thanks for the info btw biggrin_o.gif

it seems that my display card have fucked up when i try to play EVE-online today, red and blue vertical stripes together with little horizontal lines(mostly red and white) are filling my screen, display driver are also a goner huh.gif

so i am looking for a good replacement for my old 8800 GTS

i am using good old asus P5B Deluxe motherborad and didnt plan to replace it for another year, so i wonder if the recent display card with newer version of PCI-E will work with my not so recent MB too

any suggestion?

it seems that my display card have fucked up when i try to play EVE-online today, red and blue vertical stripes together with little horizontal lines(mostly red and white) are filling my screen, display driver are also a goner huh.gif

i am using good old asus P5B Deluxe motherborad and didnt plan to replace it for another year, so i wonder if the recent display card with newer version of PCI-E will work with my not so recent MB too

any suggestion?

IMO the best bang for the buck is the gf260gtx 216 rop

any suggestion?

I'd agree with the GTX260 (seem to be cheaper than the HD4870 these days, and just as fast) There are no backwards compatibility issues with using PCI-E 2.0 cards in 1.0 slots and vice-versa. (at least not with current cards)

Out of curiosity though, how old is the card, what sort of case do you have, and what sort of PSU do you have? And does it only appear in the one game?

I'd agree with the GTX260 (seem to be cheaper than the HD4870 these days, and just as fast) There are no backwards compatibility issues with using PCI-E 2.0 cards in 1.0 slots and vice-versa. (at least not with current cards)

Out of curiosity though, how old is the card, what sort of case do you have, and what sort of PSU do you have? And does it only appear in the one game?

The card is 2-3years old, standard ATX case. the problem started once I open eve-online, poly flashing plus stripes appeared and the pc freezes, after reboot the problem still exist even without any game. CPU seems fine(other then temp. jumped from ~32 to ~40 degrees ), ram check show nothing, motherborad does have some old problem about LAN and sound card that should not affect display card, psu (a 480w psu if I remember correctly, it is SLI/crossfire ready with 2 special single 4 pin cable so the output might be higher then I remembered didn't use them through) seems fine too.

Freezing and rebooting doesnt really sound like a graphics card problem.

1.Do you know what brand your PSU is?

2. What sort of CPU do you have? (just wondering whether a 480W is enough for your new system)

3. What temperature is the cuurent card running at?