Sign in to follow this  
l etranger

ArmA Compass

a compass is a compass,if the community doesn't like it,then they will be able to modify it like we'v already done,its not that big of an issue,the more we try to press on BIS to change things,the longer things will take,you people sit there whining about a release date and yet you keep being picky about things.

I'm not whining about the release date, and only a very few people are. And the delay is not caused by anybody whining about anything, it's because they don't have a publisher.

That's just utter bullshit.....

WTF is your problem anyway.....

Please calm down, if you can't discuss something politely and civilly then don't discuss on these forums.

I'm not whining about the release date, and only a very few people are. And the delay is not caused by anybody whining about anything, it's because they don't have a publisher.

I never gave specific names but I have seen it,all I'm saying is with what they have done,it wouldn't hurt to let the compass be as it is until a community member modifies it.

I never gave specific names but I have seen it,all I'm saying is with what they have done,it wouldn't hurt to let the compass be as it is until a community member modifies it.

If a game need to be modded to be good then it mean the game is bad.

I don't know for you (and a lot of people there, who alaways critisms people little details suggestion), but i don't want ArmA to be bad.

I have to agree with L entranger and Metal Heart somehow.

Ok, offcourse it will be able to be modded, but 'why' if they can (easly) do it good/more realistic straight for the 'factory'?

VBS and mods like WGL (?) have proven with their realistic and detailed compass that it indeed can and needs to be that detailed (see the artillery part in my previous post), but also as mentioned before, there are people that 'use' there availible tools more then just to give the player an average guess what direction they are looking too.

I know i use my compass in the sim/game a lot and the detailed ones really helped quick info when needed. I don't want to waste my time scanning N<->E and still not seeing anything when i can receive better mils readings because other aren't able to use it correctly or (standard) game lacks a proper compass.

Anyway, i know nit-picking 'details' but aren't these the things that make a game/sim good. Plus i want as less 'acrade' traces as possible whistle.gif .

@Timblesink: Unless you could tell me why they shouldn't increase details and accuraty level of a simple thing like a compass, i don't see your point (unless you love acrade looking tools maybe?). Anyway, if dev. indeed don't change it (or nobody ticks there sholders), people will then 'forced' to mod it.

Anyway,...

YES TO GOOD COMPASS from me..

i want to see the compass have to be pulled out in your hand, like the binocs...with the ability to move around with it in your hand (but only being readable when you're moving at a walking pace or slower), which needs to be done for the binocs as well...

PLaying on Veteran mode on a whole huge new island, a good compass is definitely needed. I'd really like to see the ability to really use the compass the same way as a prismatic compass, that way you would be able to take accurate bearings to march on, or if you get lost, do a couple of back bearings and a resection to pinpoint your location.

Although OFP was wide open, the limited size of the islands meant that after time you got to know the places quite well and navigate quickly and easily. I think its going to take a little while longer to get to the same level of familiarity with the AA island.

The WGL compass is massively useful when playing, as someone said, coops or slower paced pvp [i.e. tactical and not 1337z0r ctf]. On Zeus we rarely use N,S,E,W for directions - it's either degrees or mils, both of which are on the WGL compass. Couldn't do without it.

I see OFP & OFPe uses some compass, anyway in elite it is unreadable anyway because of low TV resolutions but tounge2.gif I think compass might be a "placeholder" for ArmA.

I would also like a 24 hour watch rather than a traditional 12, you couldnt tell if it was am or pm.

I would also like a 24 hour watch rather than a traditional 12, you couldnt tell if it was am or pm.

Doesn't looking at the sky solve that problem?

Quote[/b] ]Doesn't looking at the sky solve that problem?

Or more accurately the sun. If it's in east, changes are very good that it's the morning smile_o.gif

Personally I think that the original flashpoint compass should stay, with very slight modification. I own a replica US Military compass, and from that I know that the design of the OFP compass is perfect, however as said before it is rather unreadable, esp. on lower resolutions. It should therefore, have two changes in AA:

1. Upsized

2. The bearings should be done in a higher contrasting colour with the background.

Also, I like .pablo's comment; the compass (and the watch in my opionion) should be a part of the 3D body we've come to love in OFP. The fact that you are not just a floating gun and box of grenades *COUGH*EVERYOTHERFPS*COUGH* should be exploited to the max in terms of realism by the devs.

Therefore, the compass and watch should be toggles (as opposed to push and hold) that when activated actually run an animation where the soldier fishes his compass out of its pouch and flicks it open, or pulls back his sleeve with his other hand to look at his watch. This would also mean that it actually becomes dangerous to perform these actions in the open (as they are in hostile territory).

Also, I like .pablo's comment; the compass (and the watch in my opionion) should be a part of the 3D body we've come to love in OFP. The fact that you are not just a floating gun and box of grenades *COUGH*EVERYOTHERFPS*COUGH* should be exploited to the max in terms of realism by the devs.

Therefore, the compass and watch should be toggles (as opposed to push and hold) that when activated actually run an animation where the soldier fishes his compass out of its pouch and flicks it open, or pulls back his sleeve with his other hand to look at his watch. This would also mean that it actually becomes dangerous to perform these actions in the open (as they are in hostile territory).

Brilliant. Unfortunately, that will almost definitely not be in ArmA, but please post this in Game2 suggestions; it's a good one.

That was a great idea! it's simply great if it is possible to get the compass a "part of your body" tounge2.gif it would do it more realistic, and as .pablo said, you cant read the compass (or binoculars) if your run, you must walk...simply brilliant....

A message to BIS: PLEASE MAKE THE COMPASS A PART OF THE 3D BODY! (THAT YOU NEED TO pick it up from your pocket, and look at it in your hands for example) that would do AA and game2 much better smile_o.gif

I must agree with DaSqaude on his points.

A good Compass is as vital as a good weapon is.

And knowing how to read the Compass helps as well.... whistle.gif