Sign in to follow this  
JPSelter

German GameStar slaps Armed Assault

Well, it's not biased reporting. It's just lazy. I am sure politician X has bias towards something but it still does'nt mean that airing his/her speeches/comments/interviews would be biased, it would just be stating the facts.

Lazy, maybe, but if someone just gives publisher's information and not any critisism, I get the feeling that he/she isn't telling all the important facts. Maybe someone doesn't talk about how thing X is bad but instead states why Y and Z are wonderful. I think that is pretty biased, but ofcourse he/she could be just "lazy". Either way bad journalism.

In this case the journalist states graphics are "worse than moderate" but also remembers to say something good: "We have to admit the latter works amazingly" (when she is talking about the new animations). So I guess the first impression is okay.

But I can't wash off the feeling that she is frustrated about the game. Why is that? Is it because she was a huge fan of OFP or is it because she has played so much Battlefield 2 so that she can't stand ArmA anymore?

But I guess deeper analysis of the game will come later on, hopefully with a lot of reasons why the graphics are that bad and why the game is " generally improved Operation Flashpoint". But oh wait... isn't it what ArmA was all about?

Quote[/b] ]

Constructive criticism in a game review? Holy shit.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it seems like you think there isn't such a thing as constructive criticism in game reviews. I think there is.

Lets take this review from IGN.com as an example.

Quote[/b] ]The free-look aiming controls are sluggish and almost entirely inaccurate. I play a whole lot of first and third-person shooters so you figure I'd have my fine analog stick movements down pretty pat, but I had a bitch of a time hitting anything more than 20 feet away from me. The cursor doesn't move as linearly or smoothly as you'd expect which results in movements that are either too fast or too slow, making it pretty hard to dial in a target.

Here the writer explains why "The free-look aiming controls are sluggish and almost entirely inaccurate". That's good and constructive criticism. What's bad criticism then? He could have just said that the free-look aiming control just sucks instead of saying why he thinks so.

Or you mean that there is a lot of constructive criticism in game reviews. If so, I don't see it in this case... but we are talking about the first impression after all.

How about another example, this time with first impressions. Joystiq had a chance to try out Madden (football game) on Nintendo's new system: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/10/wii-impressions-madden-nfl-07/

Then IGN.com did the same: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707303p1.html

So different views from the same game. They have different opinions but I think the IGN one is better. Why? Because it gives insight into the game instead of the impression that game is full of useless gimmicks.

So could this be the case with ArmA's preview/impression? I guess we have to wait for further hands-on articles/impressions.

You make a great point. Perhaps she was rushed, or lazy, or whatever, but yeah, it seems like it's a pretty rushed and/or slack review. I've never cared about graphics that much anyway, and I find it a huge pity that the majority of publishers only care about eye candy, not gameplay. It seems the quick buck has taken precedence these days. <cough> BF2 <cough hack splutter>

And hell, I think someone should post up the transformation of OFP's graphics quality wise over the last 5 or so years... from boxy ole crap to SJB weapons, RHS troops, ORCs tanks, BRG trees, all the new islands, DLEM's ACU, Llauma's heads to mention but a few... has any other game seen such a comparatively massive leap in graphical quality? I sincerely doubt it.

-EDIT- Forgot DXDLL, Voron skies, NIM weather, INQ tanks, ORCs weapons, LSR PJs, BAS choppers, OWP choppers... ah, I give up.

You can`t compare Crysis and Armed Assault.

If Armed Assault would use the Crysis engine, BIS had to wait a few years until we have PC`s that can handle Armed Assault.

Minimum requirements wold be:

Quad Core CPU, 4GB Ram and a GPU that make you smile about that "ancient" quad SLI monsters.

You can`t compare Crysis and Armed Assault.

If Armed Assault would use the Crysis engine, BIS had to wait a few years until we have PC`s that can handle Armed Assault.

Minimum requirements wold be:

Quad Core CPU, 4GB Ram and a GPU that make you smile about that "ancient" quad SLI monsters.

The graphics of Crysis will be considered crap by then so why bother?

Quote[/b] ]Ive no idea why you are posting VBS1 pics in this topic? tounge2.gif

because armed assault is based on vbs ?? and he wants them to become available and fly them ??

You are spreading false information smile_o.gif .

The game is based on technology used to train real soldiers. What outside, military help and resources have you tried to pull in and use and how close to reality can you go without provoking any censorship issues?

J.R.: Virtual Battlefield System (called VBS), used by the US Marine Corps and Australian Defense Force (amongst others), has no story in terms of gameplay. You have your orders, which you try to execute with the troops available, but it's a military simulation, where for instance losing one man from your squad may result in you failing your mission. Of course it's fine to know how things work in reality, that's why Armed Assault will offer realistic weapons and vehicles. Because physics or NPC behaviour is not copyrighted, we have had no problem with censorship yet.

because there is no official info on bis site, i gotta rely on third party interviews, this is where i got idea arma is based on vbs, apologies if i was wrong. whistle.gif

The way I remember the old GameStar preview of OFP:CWC, Petra Schmitz couldn't play the game worth a darn, anyhow.

Let's pretend it's true. There's nothing more than a graphical boost.

Well, I think OFP doesn't need anything else than that. I think OFP is perfect, but I missed the wind effect on trees and grass. We'll get these in ArmA + many vehicles, weapons, big island. What else do we need? yay.gif

I think the one who wrote that article haven't played OFP at all. tounge2.gif

Why make a whole new game, when the last one was perfect? I don't get it... huh.gif

well OFP isn't perfect, it was perfect few years ago but ppl have discovered new features that it still lacks. so, imo ArmA is as much as OFP can ever be before Game2 nears completion. and Game2 will be the ultimate experience, the perfect piece.

anyway, as almost everyone has stated before me, there's nothing professional in that article... it's rather... insulting

Yes, that was about to be my next point.

Many who play OFP:E regard it as a superior tactical experience to either Ghost Recon or Battlefield.

Hordes of those who play OFP:R swear by it, even WITHOUT mid-game joining and yesterday's graphics.

I seem to remember Petra Schmitz raving about OFP:CWC.

Do good games have expiration dates? I can go back and play the original Rainbow Six on PC and STILL have fun with it.

And to ridicule Europeans for having a small booth at a Los Angeles event...WTF is that?! It is as if they are saying, "To he who spends the most cash at E3 we will give a good review."

When OFP:E came out they said, "You can't do that on an XBox!" (even though they did) and "It's just old OFP!" (even though it isn't) and "You should play OFP on a PC, instead!" (even though it works splendidly on the XBox). Now that a new PC version is coming out, they say "It is just old OFP!" (even though it isn't).

They are whores and liars.

After the windbags are done venting there will be a resurgence of OFP sychophantry, as tactical gamers all over the world flock to hours-long CTI games where they can join and quit at will.

OFP:E started out getting great reviews, then when the Americans started reviewing it they started panning it (why? BF2-Land!wink_o.gif. For all of the bad reviews it got, it is OFP-HEAVEN! Nay, tactical-gamer HEAVEN!

Permit me to illustrate:

Dueysan: "I need help guys. I'm pinned down by two BMP's, here!"

Me: "I'm lifting off the deck, now. Where are you?"

Dueysan: "I'm North of the airfield, next to an M113 wreck. Be careful where you shoot."

Me: "I've got ya. I see two red blips, now. Coming in low."

*I punch off two FFAR's at one of the BMP's from my Cobra, toasting it, then I bank around heavily and am about to overfly the second BMP, so I push my nose down steeply, punch off two FFAR's, toasting the second BMP and shattering my windshield with the concussion*

Dueysan: "That was amazing! Thanks!"

Me: "Glad to help."

*I set about returning to base and get triangulated by two enemy "M2" machineguns and get shot down, too low to eject*

Dueysan: "Aw, did you die?"

Me: "Yeah, by ground fire."

Dueysan: "Well, if it's any consolation, you probably saved my a55."

Teamwork-Valhalla, BABY!

Quote[/b] ]I seem to remember Petra Schmitz raving about OFP:CWC.

You seem to remember wrong.

Quote[/b] ]

Why don´t you just post that over at THEIR FORUM and keep this forum free of that kid-rampage.

I just browsed the thread with over 600 comments right now.

I have to say that I´m happy only a small percentage of the guys post here in this forums. The level of the majority of posts is so low that if those guys would post in the same manner here, they would be banned within a week. And all that for a 15 lines message.

Get a life !

Wait, I thought Game2 was OFP2 that is being developed for Codemasters?

PC1.jpg

Isn't this Game2/OFP2? Why does it have the BIS logo at the bottom? I am so confused!

Edit: Please help.gif

It has a BIS logo not CM logo it is game2 in the work by BIS team OFP2 that is in the make by some unknown developer for CM is another game wink_o.gif

ataris attempt at ofp type game enemy in sight

here

Looks like an ofp rip off... Same time, same concept. And their site looks like ofp info huh.gif . But I don't think they can make the AI good, sort of Soldner type of game.

ataris attempt at ofp type game enemy in sight

here

Looks like an ofp rip off... Same time, same concept. And their site looks like ofp info  huh.gif . But I don't think they can make the AI good, sort of Soldner type of game.

I'm sure the game will be great. Illusion Softworks made Mafia and Hidden and Dangerous, two games that are right next to OFP in my favorites. The AI in Hidden and Dangerous 2 was great in my opinion and I'm sure it won't get any worse. It's not going to be an OFP "rip off".

Guest Ti0n3r

And hopefully there won't be any 'death = respawn' in EiS wink_o.gif

Indeed, sorry I judged too soon. Mafia and Hidden & Dangerous were great games, so I think they can pull this one off. Certanly the deformable terrain got my attention. Here is what

But it still has a long way to go...

Title: Enemy in Sight

Format: PC

Type: War-game FPS

Release date: TBA

Official homepage: TBA

(source: http://www.illusionsoftworks.com/)

Quote[/b] ]BIS hätte nicht Codemasters als Publisher verloren und hätte nicht schon seit fast zwei Jahren nach einem neuen Publisher suchen müssen. ArmA sollte erst 2005 kommen, jetzt heißt es 2006 und ehrlich gesagt würde mich es nicht wundern

Yeah, keeping a publisher that wants to have alot of control over what is in the game and what isn't, what you end up with is "expansion packs" that consist of some weapons that can be unlocked, that were supposed to be in the original game, but were withheld by the publisher, and similar ways of extortion.

A delay in the development process! Quick, get your lifejackets, the first time ever that a game has been delayed must surely lead to the end of the world goodnight.gif

Usually the first reaction would be "oh well, it's written by a woman, what else did you expect?", but I'm sure everyone at Gamestar.de is a good journalist *cough*

P.S. Their site could use some redesigning, "it's so last years design" rofl.gif

Petra is a great fan of OFP. And she was raving about Flashpoint & its addons.

OT

I`ve almost forgotten about the enemy in sight..

Don`t you think that using brown ground texture and then adding grass on it, like on EIS screens, looks better than the green grass-imitating texture?

Those forests from enemy in sight look nice..but well, islands will have only 100km2...

Quote[/b] ]

Why don´t you just post that over at THEIR FORUM and keep this forum free of that kid-rampage.

I just browsed the thread with over 600 comments right now.

I have to say that I´m happy only a small percentage of the guys post here in this forums. The level of the majority of posts is so low that if those guys would post in the same manner here, they would be banned within a week. And all that for a 15 lines message.

Get a life !

I meant "raving" in the sense of "speaking feverishly about in a favorable way".

As for the rest of your response, I can't even tell what you're on about.

Everyone here can see it was an irresponsible piece of pseudo-journalism, so why can't you?

What do I care about how big their booth is? I'm not going to be playing their booth after I fork out my $40-$60...

UPDATE: When I connect to www.gamestar.de I get a full page ad with video of GR:AW which completely hides that I am even at gamestar. I think that says something, doesn't it? Like I said, big, fat, ugly "HO's".

Calling BIS guys slackers is just low. Then she says something about improvements. Well, lets say we want to improve gameplay. In OFP, you could, for example, go around the enemy and strike them from behind. How can you improve that?! There's no way, unless you introduce Star trek technology in the game. And then you could "beam" your self behind the enemy, so you don't have to walk all the way. You can't improve allready great gameplay very much, or make it revolutionary again. Sneaking is just sneaking, you can't do it better! (I'm talking about gameplay because that's the only thing i care about in any game.) She can take her UnrealEngine3 and Crytek Engine and make some shiny looking corridors, then put a few bots in the "map" and let them have it.

Edit:

Article or no article, i'm buying this game the moment it's released in my country.

that girly petra got a copy of Armed assault to test it-

that is kind of black humor goodnight.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Since she's got a copy, Let's just hope she takes the time to actually sit down, relax and enjoy ArmA the way it's meant to be done.