Sign in to follow this  
evandavies

Vegetation concealment

I know this is something that is very hard to control but will AI bots be able to see through bushes like in OFP?

Would be great if you could conceal yourself behind or in a bush and only be detected from a certain distance or if you move too much. Of course once you fire you would be known to all wink_o.gif

Any info on how enemy detection will work in AA compared to OFP?

I just want to add my encouragement to the team at BIS.  I am soooooo looking forward to AA notworthy.gif

OFP is still the only game that feels like its in a real world of its own rather than a playable area as in other games.

Cheers

Guest Ti0n3r

AI did not see through bushes in OFP.

can we use this thread to expose our idea about foliage, trees, bushes, grass etc from ARMA pics?

it did in so far that once you where "known" by the enemy u couldn hide anymore. that sucked. and would have been important. if never seen before though it worked, yes.

it did in so far that once you where "known" by the enemy u couldn hide anymore. that sucked. and would have been important. if never seen before though it worked, yes.

Well if you see someone running into a bush and you dont see him comming out, then what would you do? Turn around and forget about it? rofl.gif

hehe, nope not wink_o.gif

anyway, why OFP vegetation always have been with lots of pixel?

will it be same? i hate to see the squares in the foliage.. confused_o.gif

why not improve those squares?

hehe, no, but it could also be a large bush they precisely hit your head....u never had a second chance, which concealment should give you...

SPRAY-Fire!

AI does see trough (some) bushes in OFP, thats a fact. This should be fixed and improved

Well, there are two types of bushes in OFP. The ones that are obstacles that you cannot go through. These will conceal you.

The other type that you can run through are not computed by the AI and they will "see" you through them.

Well, there are two types of bushes in OFP. The ones that are obstacles that you cannot go through. These will conceal you.

The other type that you can run through are not computed by the AI and they will "see" you through them.

yeah but thats already fixed!

BIS already said all bugs were fixed.

I meant in grafic way, less pixel, no squares.. more realistic for view sight

Wrong, if you sit in them they work for sure, dont know what happens when you are a few meter behind them...

AI does see trough (some) bushes in OFP, thats a fact. This should be fixed and improved

This bug is mostly in Nogova bushes.

Everon bushes are ok.

anyway, why OFP vegetation always have been with lots of pixel?

will it be same? i hate to see the squares in the foliage.. confused_o.gif

why not improve those squares?

The game was released in 2001 tounge2.gif and system specs were quite lower then.

But I remember I was hidden in a CWC bush and a AI BMP did not see me when I was 5m away from him and the turret was pointed at me.

Quote[/b] ]it did in so far that once you where "known" by the enemy u couldn hide anymore. that sucked. and would have been important. if never seen before though it worked, yes.

Well if you are spotted and hide the AI doesn't always hit you and if you hide long enough the AI doesn't know your postion anymore.

My observation is that the old "billboard type" of bushes as seen on the original CWC islands conceals you completely from the AI if they are big enough so you can crawl in/under it or stay behind it.

The nicer looking bushes introduced in Resistance doesn't hide you well at all and the AI mostly have no trouble findning you if you try to hide behind such.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

But I remember I was hidden in a CWC bush and a AI BMP did not see me when I was 5m away from him and the turret was pointed at me.

If it was one of your Nordic bushes BergHoff I doubt that his rounds would penetrate it anyway! wink.gif  

Just kidding mate!     crappingpony.gif

I BELIEVE that all stories about OFP A.I. seeing through a bush have to do with an officer or unit friendly to the enemy reporting your position, at which time the enemy officer orders his subordinate to fire on your location.

Same principle in paintball. A team-member will "mark" (splat) a tree to let his team member know to fire on the opponent behind the tree.

Soldiers do the same thing using tracers to direct fire.

-AI soldiers are SEEING thru bushes in a very limited way, but they are SHOOTING tru as if its open terrain if u were reported by some one else...

-AI soldiers need to watch a target and after a while they become sure that the target is a hostile and they put a bullet tru, and no matter if you run into bushes after this point... they will shoot many bullets to make sure you are dead, however if they miss and if you dont expose yourself they will FORGET u there.

(I was trying to satchel a tank but it managed to spot me somehow while I was crawling.. I placed the charge and crawl back in to somebushes and I noticed that turret turned away after a while... it was tracking me all they way but cant shoot because I was out of its actual sight)

-AI soldiers are hearing voices around, but this feature is not affected by rain or heavy rain.. or any other source of ambient sound (engine, thunder, wind...)

Problems are HERE

-AI soldiers are cheesy masters of forest fights because they spot you over 100m whether you lie dead calm or running... this is the BUG

-AI soldiers are SENSELESS against dead bodies. seeing the fresh dead body of a friendly soldier doesnt discomfort them... this kills "Commados" like approach pretty much and renders "hide body" feature useless.

-AI soldiers can report you while a bullet going tru their brains... this should be fixed by adding some latency

-AI soldiers can report you while a bullet going tru their brains... this should be fixed by adding some latency

I am not sure how about other versions, but in 1.96 this bug doesn't exists anymore - if you hit a soldier in the head (and kill him) he won't report you. Other members of his group will switch to combat mode, and maybe start searching for enemy, but that is because they noticed their teammate got killed, not because he reported you.

...but who knows what will be in ArmA

btw. where can i found a "changelog" or "bugfixes" list for certain OFP versions? i was trying the search, but there is way too many results. Is there any 'official' topic for this?

Guest Ti0n3r
btw. where can i found a "changelog" or "bugfixes" list for certain OFP versions? i was trying the search, but there is way too many results. Is there any 'official' topic for this?

Take a look here smile_o.gif

I am not sure how about other versions, but in 1.96 this bug doesn't exists anymore

Sorry, but I can only say what I know from personal experience, and AI can at least shoot you through bushes without true line of sight. It happens annoyingly often and definitely needs to be fixed. Same counts for tents.

In OFP nothing is more dangerous than approaching some AI soldiers in a tent or if a couple of bushes seperate you. They will always see and shoot you before you even guess they could be there.

It was a bug in ofp (and still is).

AIs can see THROUGH bushes, but not IN the bush.

That means that you cannot hide behind it, but you can hide IN it.

I am not sure how about other versions, but in 1.96 this bug doesn't exists anymore

Sorry, but I can only say what I know from personal experience, and AI can at least shoot you through bushes without true line of sight. It happens annoyingly often and definitely needs to be fixed. Same counts for tents.

In OFP nothing is more dangerous than approaching some AI soldiers in a tent or if a couple of bushes seperate you. They will always see and shoot you before you even guess they could be there.

eee..? i was reacting to the sentence "AI soldiers can report you while a bullet going tru their brains..."

...how is your quoting related to that? Maybe you wanted to quote someone else but not me?

I can't find the topic now, but i think it was Maruk who wrote that since some version the AI won't report you if you kill the soldier while he doesn't know about you.

And that is what i was writing about, not about shooting thru bushes.

I am not sure how about other versions, but in 1.96 this bug doesn't exists anymore - if you hit a soldier in the head (and kill him) he won't report you. Other members of his group will switch to combat mode, and maybe start searching for enemy, but that is because they noticed their teammate got killed, not because he reported you.

well actually I hit this when I set a trigger "EAST" "DETECTS WEST"... inevitabily dying soldier is an asset of "east" and he knows that who has shot him so there goes the "detects west" along with the alarm...

I use "know" or "knowsabout" formula to resolve this...

well actually I hit this when I set a trigger "EAST" "DETECTS WEST"... inevitabily dying soldier is an asset of "east" and he knows that who has shot him so there goes the "detects west" along with the alarm...

I use "know" or "knowsabout" formula to resolve this...

And you are talking about which OFP version?

Look, i have just tried it, so i can be 100% sure.

In OFP 1.96: if you kill enemy who doesn't know about you, he WON'T report you. And the same goes with the "West detected by East" trigger.

And by the way, all these events are dependant on the KnowsAbout value.

I just tried it in the editor. Period.

afaik.. ai if they spot you they "know" about you and if you hide or go out of sight they still know about you but the longer you stay hidden the more their imformation become distorted until they eventually lose you completely... same seems to go for humans when given a target by the group leader (the big yellow target box) appears on the enemy and if that enemy goes out of sight and stays out line of sight for any length of time that yellow box will start to move around (as the information become more distorted) untill it no longer shows exactly where that enemy is..

like somone said if you see someone run behind a bush and dont come out its pretty obvious where they are hiding tho..

that reminds me of a very funny monty pythons sketch which was also recreated in ofp ..as a comedy sketch cutscene biggrin_o.gif

wonder if that mission is still knocking around for download somewhere ??

found it biggrin_o.gif search avons FAQ for monty python or how not to be seen