Sign in to follow this  
advocatexxx

uprooting trees

this seems to be one of the many new features in arma, especially given the fact that forests will now be made up of individual trees, which (as per a recent interview with the BIS) will allow the player to uproot them.

OFP has often been praised for its well thought-out mix of fun, arcade play elements and realism, and it's obvious that ArmA aims to perfect that mix even more.

however, i have always felt that uprooting trees in OFP was far from realistic to begin with. especially given the fact that one needs to only touch a tree with an armored vehicle (regardless of the speed you were going) to uproot it.

trees, even those with thin trunks (think 30cm in diameter) have strong and widespread roots. and for a light vehicle, such as the BMP to simply uproot it without any effort whatsoever is far from realistic.

so why do i bring this up? because OFP is what it is (a great game) not only for its main features (realistic combat, one-shot-and-you're dead principles, etc.), but also because of all the little things. in the end it's the little things that add up to make a great game, and it's those little things we love.

and as such, a player shouldn't be able to uproot a 50-meter tall pine tree regardless of what vehicle he's driving, or how fast is going. and when it comes to smaller trees, it should take a bit more effort than simply "touching" it. if anyone here has seen an armored vehicle uprooting a tree, you know that the tree is usually approached slowly, and literally "climbed" with the weight of the vehicle until the tree breaks. in this respect, i have actually appreciated the fact that those tall pine trees in OFP (the ones treated as a single forest unit) were unbreakable. neither a BMP or a 60-ton abrams is going to uproot something standing 50 meters tall with a trunk of 1-meter in diameter.

who knows, maybe updating this feature would require significant revisions to AI path-finding. but i can't help and think that a tank platoon rolling down a hill, and clearing a forest as it moves would be an element unbefitting of the physics and realism that we've all come to expect.

Hopefully there is some weight values of different trees where the speed and weight of the vehicle running into a tree will make a difference. But I think that would be something that could possibly be in Game 2, hope I'm wrong though and Armed Assault has something like that for tree destruction.

Not to mention that you are allways in the risk of getting stuck on top of the roots if you uproot a tree in a tank (no matter size of tank). Especially if you try to engage more than one tree at a time (a forest for example).

I like the idea that trees wont be "invisible" when turned over, so that you can cut off the road for a lighter vehicle by turning over a tree onto the road. Making a roadblock

yay.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I guees it will be like in Elite. Crappy. confused_o.gif

Well I've seen in Elite a BMP having trouble knocking it down when it was moving very slow.

I like the idea that trees wont be "invisible" when turned over, so that you can cut off the road for a lighter vehicle by turning over a tree onto the road. Making a roadblock

that would add a ton of options to the game. uprooted trees could be treated as rocks, or other types of obstacle-class objects which a car would have to go around, but an armored vehicle could cross, despite a slower speed.

i have no issues with bushes or small trees, yet uprooting the giant pines should remain impossible.

besides, tanks (or any other vehicles) have no place in dense forests anyway. so if treating a large forest as a single unit makes the game perform better, then i see no reason why they're focusing so much effort onto this.

I wont mind so much as long as a tank going some speed down a hill will not be able to make it all the way threw a forest. But rather hit a few trees and get slowed down dramaticly intill it going slow enough not to hit any more trees down. Also i hope that the turrets movment is survearly limited in thick forests (as i presume whiles moving the gun would get stoped by hittin trees and not hitting them down) thus discouraging tanks to drive around in forests and still make a forest a safe place for infantry to hide.

A plus for this feature is now once some one releases the first nuclear bomb addon ( biggrin_o.gif ) we'll be able to flatten just about every thing on the island.

I have mixed feelings about this feature. It will most likely be like it is in elite... unfortunately, I have never played it. But, are you saying that, given enough time, that a tank could clear out an entire forest of its trees by bulldozing them? I think that this is a terrible idea. If the tank has some risk, like it will almost certainly high-centre itself or throw a track, I think it would be a neat idea. I like how it is in OFP, though: the forests are a safe place to disappear into for troops.

What? An enemy camp in the forest? Put the dozer-blades on, boys! It's time to do some steam-rollin!

I never thought I would have to lay mines in the middle of the woods :/

Quote[/b] ]A plus for this feature is now once some one releases the first nuclear bomb addon ( biggrin_o.gif ) we'll be able to flatten just about every thing on the island.

Haha, think of the lag that'll happen when 100.000 trees fall down and 1.000 buildings get origami-z0red simultaneously. Not to mention the one or two dynamically destroyable bridge(s) wow_o.gif

I have to agree on that driveing point of the big forrest trees but what about shooting a arty shell on it? I am not sure but i tink in RL a tree can be tipped over whit a arty shell.

The Unknown

You can't uproot forests in Elite?? You can uproot non-forest vegetation but forests are just like OFP, i.e. brick walls.

Guest Ti0n3r

You can't uproot forests in Elite?? You can uproot non-forest vegetation but forests are just like OFP, i.e. brick walls.

The thing I was refering to was that once a tree is uprooted you can walk and fire right through it, just like in Ofp. I don't think they'll fix this :/

OFP:Elite.

True, you can not drive thru a forrest with a tank. First row of trees on the border are individual, you can knock them down but the forrest itself is NOT accesable (like a barrier).

And if mem serves me well to knock down a tree you need momentum. So a tank (like BMP/BRDM) which goes very slowly won't knock down a tree (will check it again when i have some time)

I also had the impression knocking down tree will effect vehicles. So, i guess a tank knocking down 1000 trees will suffer from it.

And if mem serves me well to knock down a tree you need momentum. So a tank (like BMP/BRDM) which goes very slowly won't knock down a tree (will check it again when i have some time)

uh, no. armored vehicles certainly don't knock large trees down by ramming into them at full speed. that's a good recipe to give every member of your tank crew a serious head concussion and damage your vehicle. large trees are usually uprooted slowly. you would line your vehicle with one side of tracks approaching the tree, and climb onto it, ultimately uprooting it with the sheer mass of your vehicle.

don't forget. armored vehicles aren't passenger cars. they are not equipped with bucket seats or airbags.

I wont mind so much as long as a tank going some speed down a hill will not be able to make it all the way threw a forest.

That would be a rather funny sight tounge2.gif Can you imagine on top of a hill a tank going at full speed down the hill making that tree uprooting sound constantly, shaving the forest in two! rofl.gif

i think its realistic for just about any tank to uproot a tree.

confused_o.gif I hope tree's will uproot in the direction they're pushed (or blown up)

confused_o.gif I hope tree's will uproot in the direction they're pushed (or blown up)

that would make sence that BIS did that b/c they said somewhere that uprooted trees can be used as cover. but that wouldnt work all the time if the trees always fell in the same direction.

actually i was told by a ginger know-it-all flyboy wannabe that goes by the name of jinef, that in world war two in some places, germans literaly rode their tanks thorugh forests to surprise the enemy or reach unreachable spots/ i've no info on what sort of trees they were. I don't know about what can uproot whatnot, but what i do know is that ofp needs a serious 'crack' sound when uprooting trees. Anyone who's played the Call of duty single player missions will know, (when you're the soviet tank comm) that uprooting trees gave such a satisfying sound in that game, you did it with pleasure. or rather, i did anyway.

that would make sence that BIS did that b/c they said somewhere that uprooted trees can be used as cover. but that wouldnt work all the time if the trees always fell in the same direction.

I'm afraid this will not possible, neither roadblock (unless a road surrender by tree : mathematically after a tough logger work at least one tree should fall in the right place and direction)

Remember :

Quote[/b] ][...]since the engine damage system should remain the same

I guess you already know what is and will destrtype = destructtree

I'm afraid this will not possible, neither roadblock (unless a road surrender by tree : mathematically after a tough logger work at least one tree should fall in the right place and direction)

Remember :

Quote[/b] ][...]since the engine damage system should remain the same

I guess you already know what is and will destrtype = destructtree

Im not sure if that information is still correct, BIS keeps changing their minds  tounge2.gif

EDIT: Gonna search a mag, iirc it said something about this..  smile_o.gif

EDIT: Nope, it didnt tounge2.gif

lol im sure i read something that you can use a uprooted tree for cover/roadblock or something.. im sure i did and im sure since that when a tree falls and it stays there and can give you cover, i dont think a jeep can drive trough it smile_o.gif

Please link to this interview, cause i never heard this uprooted tree thing, neither have i heard official word on rivers. But there was a lot of speculation about these two things maybe you got mixed up?

Please link to this interview, cause i never heard this uprooted tree thing, neither have i heard official word on rivers. But there was a lot of speculation about these two things maybe you got mixed up?

Well i thought i heard the tree thing aswell, but it might have been Game2, we only know that rivers are "limited" supported, thats probably the OFP way tounge2.gif

why wouldnt this be possible? there will be destructive buildings.. isnt also trees make part or the new engine and effects?

would be cool..

Bis could implement this as they had this extra time.. why not? wink_o.gif