Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

The REAL Sounds

Hey all,

I'm trying to make my lil personal mod as realistic as possible. I was curious - does anyone have weapon sounds (from a video with audio, perhaps) of the following weapons firing in real life?

AK74

M4A1

PK (and the PKT, if possible)

M249

That's the main ones I'm concerned about.

Not that I don't appreciate the sounds addon makers use, of course, it's all just my personal preference. Any help would be wonderful

problem with weapon sounds most weapons when fired can't be recored proporly due to the amoutn of noice themy make usualy needing to be remastered to sound better for game envoriments.

It also depends where you at to hear the firing. Behidn the gun is different that in front of or down range.

I can bet dolars to nuts, that they don't sound anything like BIS sounds. For me BIS PK sounds like a turbo typewriter. Seriously! biggrin_o.giftounge2.gif

I'll second that, eh. And the M16 with Resistance sounds... well, anything other than what you'd expect an M16 to sound like. Sounds like a flat "plaow."

I've watched a lot of movies, but you can't trust those, since they all sound different. If anyone has a few good videos with sound (or the sounds themselves), I'd be grateful for 'em.

Apparently, the original BIS sounds are rather good, especially the m113. I read this somewhere, that military personelle were commenting on the authenticity of the sounds. They didn't sound all that exciting, though.

As for what they REALLY REALLY REALLY sound like in real life, here's a hint. They go 'BANG.' wink_o.gif

It also depends where you at to hear the firing. Behidn the gun is different that in front of or down range.

That's something I've always wanted in a game, especially flashpoint. Different sounds depending on your location. Real recordings of gunfire reverberating over a long distance would sound really immersive. Creative's EAX tried to that with onboard dsp effects but in games like Rogue Spear it sounded like everyone was firing guns in a cave. A cave that was located within an even larger cave.

Thanks Plaintiff one - made my day. icon_rolleyes.gif

All I have to do now is put flags coming out of the guns with "BANG" on 'em. wink_o.gif

Hmm that would actually be an interesting addon concept. Joke guns!

Now, to be serious, real weapons are waay too loud to be properly made into the game. I remember some M4 addon which hurt my eyes when I fired it. Never used it again - gaming is supposed to be fun, not pain!

I can bet dolars to nuts, that they don't sound anything like BIS sounds. For me BIS PK sounds like a turbo typewriter. Seriously! biggrin_o.giftounge2.gif

Remember the OLD 1.46 sound?

It was actually pretty cool, it sounded like farts or something.

Now, to be serious, real weapons are waay too loud to be properly made into the game. I remember some M4 addon which hurt my eyes when I fired it. Never used it again - gaming is supposed to be fun, not pain!

Do your ears hurt when you turn on a bright light?

whistle.gifrofl.gif

Do your ears hurt when you turn on a bright light?

whistle.gif  rofl.gif

Wrong answer, Shashman...

You know what they say...

"When you see the FLASH... It's already too late!!!" rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

For original weapon sounds watch videos that was recorded in iraq.

Most of them can`t be used as a source for sound mods ( bad quality), but it will give you an idea how it should sound.

I can't belive no one have posted any links yet!! Lol

Here you go, this page, apart from having an old but good sound mod, is loaded with military videos, lots of weapons firing.Look at the botom of the page where it say gallery.

You could try with Ogrish.com too, but is not guarantied you won't end up mentaly messed up, but there is lots of Faluja fighting, or whatever is call.

I do too have read about the authenticity of the original sounds, and I have to say that I prefer comunity sounds, lol.

Quote[/b] ]For me BIS PK sounds like a turbo typewriter.

Lol, you are so so right, I never thought of that before.

Regards.

@CERO

The devs that made 'Project:IGI' back then said they recorded every weapon ingame on a firing range with special microphones. That might be true, the echos were quite realistic. But ...

Problem 1: the sound artist mixed them down so that everything sounds like a peashooter. (no punch whatsoever, more like sharp clicks)

Problem 2: the weapons sound VERY equal. Boring.

smile_o.gif

Other quite realistic weapon sounds i'd recommend were in the making-of BlackHawkDown and the western movie 'Open Range' with Kevin Kostner.

also, weapons sound different depending of the direction and distance to the weapon...

for example, a gun sounds totally different if you stand beside it compared to if you shoot with it.

and afaik we cant have 1 soundfile if you´re gunner and a different if someone else shoots.

Remember the OLD 1.46 sound?

It was actually pretty cool, it sounded like farts or something.

yeah to be honest...I liked the original sounds better than anything that has been released to date...pity confused_o.gif

There are plenty - but they are just variants on the popgun theme, sadly - it seems that those America's Army sounds are pretty good (any other opinions?). Thanks for the link, and all the responses guys.

Ive changed allot of sounds of my favorite weapons, Ive also made some with sounds like your firing blanks.. Just for fun.

A nice M16 sound would be good, with a bit echo.

I run FDF all the time and the weapons in the FDF pack have nice sounds. Too bad allmost all mg's sound like chainsaws.

Not the constant sound, and it isnt that "impressive".

The E&S weapon sounds were a great improvement imo, especially for the SAW! I allways liked the AA sound of the AR indoors!  crazy_o.gif

But for even heavier size like 7.62 and .50 the sounds really dont match a bit. Ive heard those with blanks and they sound really F.ing loud, ppl tell me it goes even louder with real ammo so then the sound doesnt come close in ofp...

Maybee with ARMA the sounds will be better? like 3d?  smile_o.gif

ps. some good battle enviroment sounds would be great also!

Good old Jim Soundpack is still my choice, sounds good enough for me a improvement over the originals for sure

I'm a big fan of Satchel's soundpack... from way back in the day! smile_o.gif

I've never had an opportunity to hear anything but an M16 being fired though. So I really cant speak for how authentic it is.

i think the old earl and suchey marines pack had some of the best sounds for us weapons, loud and some battles could even make you go deaf for a while it seemed biggrin_o.gif

For east weapons i liked the Rhs stuff alot cause they where also loud smile_o.gif

also Laser us weapons pack is a real keeper too thumbs-up.gif

Yeah, I'm a big fan of RHS' sounds (except for the PK, but moot point) - nice, loud and authentic, from what I've heard of Ruskie weapons.

I'm gonna change the M16/M4 to the AA one, but I'm having trouble finding an authentic SAW sound. It's like a higher-pitched M4 (as you'd expect, firing same ammo). Might modify the sound itself.

Satchel was my first and fave sound pack - revolutionary.

Satchels is still one of the best in my opinion. I really liked the Shilka's firing sound in the dynamic range sound pack he made.

Some day I hope we'll have a ZSU-23-4 to replace the BIS Shilka, that will include that sound.

Found something funny - go to the link in the first page, then sample sounds - check out the sound of the 6G30 GL - sounds like a firecracker taking off! rofl.gif