Sign in to follow this  
offtime

Polish GROM operators

You know,

-after the BBN Technologies problem,

-after the fact some people released addons using model made during several months by another addon maker without even caring about crediting him and claiming the addons was 'their creation' , and even with some people defending those ones

I am always surprised there are people releasing addons.

So if one decide to encrypt his addon pbo or another decide to add a password, or one continue to release totally open addons, i don't see why one method would be "unacceptable" in any way ?

At least they continue to release addons , giving new toys to the community in a totally free way.

If just sending a PM to Offtime (and you don't even have to "kiss ass" , 'lick feet" or "praise", Offtime will send you the password anyway) is too much, well , that's your choice of not getting this addon.

But why not respect Offtime choice, after all he has already done , and all the help he provided to other addon maker ?

would hate to disturb your gospels mate, but any chance of a reply to the p.m ?

i got a massive archived folder here waiting to be unwrapped smile_o.gif.

I have no problems with the password.

Maybe it could been done differently though, mainly to make it easier for offtime. Making a site where people need to register to get the password would be nice. It allows offtime to keep track of who and how many are using it.

Is it me or am I the only person who is completely perplexed and curious as to why a password?huh.gif?

Maybe I'm just the one who's nuts here.

If Offtime can't explain why, then can anybody else give a rational explanation as to why?

Most everyone's like, "I don't care."  

I hope that this will not become the new trend in the OFP community.  I can understand model/texture encryption.  But a password just for the hell of it... doesn't make sense.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

not telling you is kinda funny, sorry, it realy is :-)

others know, couse im explayning this in PM im sending back to ppl wich asked, everyone got the same PM :P

besides, answer is just in front of your eyes, you just dont see it

it was answered in this topic ;-)

Why bother trying to figure out? That is the addonmakers decision to use the password, for whatever means, and it should be honored. If one really does want to use this addon, sending Offtime a PM shouldn't be too much of an inconvinience.

I sent a PM right away and I've been playing with these units for a few days now. The work on these units is outstanding, they've come a long way and are well worth the wait for the password.

Ok nevermind.  I guess I'm the one who's nuts here and making a fool of myself (I must have missed the post on the thread where you or someone explained it and I don't feel like going back through every post trying to figure you out as I already had previously read all the posts).  

My apologies for wasting time on this issue.  

Since nobody seems to be able to answer the simple question of "why?" I'll move on to something else.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Ask for the password mate, you will get the answer in your face. Altough it is weird what are their using it for in this way, if BAS used this method they would crash this forum with number of PM's on their accounts. tounge2.gif

Did this hint you on anything?

he wants to know the interest (amount / scale) in their work.

for my part i think that there are several better options to do that.

Ok nevermind.  I guess I'm the one who's nuts here and making a fool of myself (I must have missed the post on the thread where you or someone explained it and I don't feel like going back through every post trying to figure you out as I already had previously read all the posts).  

Since nobody seems to be able to answer the simple question of "why?" I'll move on to something else.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I agree with you that the password is silly.

well i dont understand any of it, but i am grateful for your time spent, very nice addon indeed.i hope it will trasnort to arma easily.

always plenty of respect for addon makers. i dont know what ,rattled yyou ,but i hope you sort it soon and make more addons smile_o.gif

here is a comaprison smile_o.gif

untitled29oj.th.jpg

Ok nevermind. I guess I'm the one who's nuts here and making a fool of myself (I must have missed the post on the thread where you or someone explained it and I don't feel like going back through every post trying to figure you out as I already had previously read all the posts).

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

silly is the fact that you wont take something becouse you think that you know something, but you dont :-)

I think the aswer is that he wants to exclude some people that were a bit negative about his work or he having other issues with.

He probably keeps a blacklist ignore PM`s of community members that are not his friends crazy_o.gif

This way he problably thinks that he can 'punish' them for criticising to much.

I know I`m just guessing but I really can`t be bothered to beg for a password and the 'why".

If it were a whole mod I still would not use PM to ask for a password.

hint:*

There are other ways you know and there`s nothing you or others can do to stop this.

This still doesn`t mean I have it..because I don`t.

Keep your PWaddon and lets hope you do this in your future work as well tounge2.gif

See if the majority of the MPmod players really care for not having your addon(s) in their missions band.gif

Attitudes rofl.gif

Offtime, you're like a brick wall as we say in England. You havn't even accepted arguments such as how hard it will make it for potential mission makers to use these addons, all we hear is that you don't give a shit. Seriously, every other post to you in this thread seems to hit a brick wall and bounce off.

I mean personally, I can see the reasoning in the act. Firstly, it's your addon, you can do with it as you wish. Secondly, you're gauging interest in Polish addons. But if it was me, I would have responded more along the lines of: "Yeah, I see the point about the mission requirement hassles, but hey, maybe I'll take that into account in the next head version" or similar. It's a shame to see such important criticism being shunned in such a "I've got my fingers in my ears" fashion.

I don't know what all the fuzz is about. I admit to being a wee bit sceptic to the password bit at first, but as soon as I sent the PM and got the reply I was quite happy about what I read in it. Send the PM, get the reply and I bet you will get a similar reaction. Now stop the anti-password rambling, please you are really acting like children crazy_o.gif

Daniel @ Jan. 03 2006,23:08)]Offtime, you're like a brick wall as we say in England. You havn't even accepted arguments such as how hard it will make it for potential mission makers to use these addons, all we hear is that you don't give a shit. Seriously, every other post to you in this thread seems to hit a brick wall and bounce off.

I mean personally, I can see the reasoning in the act. Firstly, it's your addon, you can do with it as you wish. Secondly, you're gauging interest in Polish addons. But if it was me, I would have responded more along the lines of: "Yeah, I see the point about the mission requirement hassles, but hey, maybe I'll take that into account in the next head version" or similar. It's a shame to see such important criticism being shunned in such a "I've got my fingers in my ears" fashion.

we have similar sayng, but not about bricks but about pulse

you can throw bunch if it and nothing will happend

i think that im more stoburn with every new bithing style comment

i was getting many different messages, like

short one:

Quote[/b] ]grom pass?

menium ones:

Quote[/b] ]Password please smile_o.gif

And Happy New Year smile_o.gif

and long ones, wich i wont post

ppl were asking what GROM means, giving me feedback on screens, and sugestions for future releases

basicaly i was and still em recieving many different messages

im replying all of them, by single, still, same for everyone message.

i dont see anything wrong in the way im distributing my addons, this serves one purpose, and it works fine, better than download counters.

but when i see ppl that have problem with sending simple pm with at least one word like "pass?" and sayng offensive things about me, my ego, blah blah, im realy starting to be like this brick wall

i did some thinking and what i came up with ?

hmm... is it possible that ppl who have problem with sending PM and are registered on these forums, have some strange problem with asking for something they think, they should get for free even without asking for it ?

strange, becouse even when i go to store and want to pay for something i still need to ask for it.....

and asking for something is such a problem ?

helping me gathering stats is a problem ?

whats wrong with you ppl ?

I liked receiving the password, it felt really good, it was like receiving the keys of a ferrari biggrin_o.gif , well not a ferrari but a key to unlock a beautyfull piece of work, thank you again smile_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]i did some thinking and what i came up with ?

hmm... is it possible that ppl who have problem with sending PM and are registered on these forums, have some strange problem with asking for something they think, they should get for free even without asking for it ?

No, sorry you're missing the point again. You don't have to reply so hostily in every reply against the password system. Although if you felt you needed to, I'm sorry if my post sounded hostile.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, you're right in some respects, people should be gracious for your addon. It looks bloody amazing and must have taken a lot of time and effort, especially when you look at it compared to the VBS1 and OFP soldiers in the pic earlier. And they can voice that appreciation in this thread as they have done, or through PMs.

People that have sent rude PMs to you deserve neither the addon nor a reply from you, therefore your stance as a brick wall in that instance is understandable. tounge2.gif

But my point and many others are that you are causing a lot of hassle for people who don't regularly visit these forums - people who maybe only check a news site every so often and download the latest addon - as I did for my first year and a bit after I bought OFP. People who don't visit these forums, yet can still appreciate the work that has gone into them and be grateful for them.

BW Mod units for example are praised constantly in the OFP.Info forums where they are currently hosted on the server and played daily. We at OFP.Info wouldn't be able to do likewise for your addon, because every single potential server joiner would have to PM you to play and install the addon.

Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from.

i don't know what comp he was running vbs1 on, but he must have had it on low settings because my units look a helluva lot better than from that pic. crazy_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

silly is the fact that you wont take something becouse you think that you know something, but you dont :-)

There is really no need to single me out when many people express the same discontent toward the password idea, whatever the philosophy behind it may be...

I think we all respect the time and effort you have put into your addons!

oh, im beging you send me pm please, im beging you  notworthy.gif

nener.gif

You waste forum space with your silly comments.

You're addon is good but you're attitude is immature, noone likes a smartass.

You won't get as many hits as you would if you actually allowed people to download it without the password, seeing that major OFP news sites would be able to host it, but you greatly reduced your total downloads drastically, which in turns reduces your feedback, which in turn makes you think noone wants to download it, which then leads to you having second opinions about releasing addons you created for yourself.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

i did some thinking and what i came up with ?

strange, becouse even when i go to store and want to pay for something i still need to ask for it.....

and asking for something is such a problem ?

helping me gathering stats is a problem ?

whats wrong with you ppl ?

There is nothing rong but for me its a matter of principle when I release an addon every body that wants too can download it and just plug and play its offcause always nice when people comment on the addon in the addon's topic but its not requried. It is how its always has been here and the way I personaly belive it should be. Is asking hard, not at all but for an addon i am problery only gonna take for two runs on dessert island(and admire that backpack) its not worth the bother to me.

STGN

edit too add:

I hope my reply was not concived as whining it was a reply to Offtimes question. I fully agree that Offtime can do what ever he wants its his addon.

Even if it may be quite 'weird' and 'unusual', I think we should respect his decision as long as we get this addon for free.

Maybe there are some specifical reasons behind his choice that we don't have to care about.

But it would be better to focuse on the stuff he did.

Regards

Thunderbird84

the big disavantage of this method of passwording, is that u cant spread the file to your friends. i have 20 ofp friends that i play with almost daily, and recently we'r updating our pack. i showed them the screenies of your addon,plp got impressed with the polished look they have,so they wanted to give a try , but then i had to say "sory guys, i cant send u the file...u gota ask the owner at bis forums..". now that sounds ridiculous offtime. half of them never been here, or are to lazy. that way i guess we'll have to pass your great addon, just because a burocratic reason. see my point?

if ur intencion its not to have a pm box full of "ass kiss" messages(like u sayed and i believe), but just to have a statistic of the number of players that tryed your addon, why dont u asked the (always helpfull) ofp.info people or ofp polish? a simple download counter would do the task, and none of this would started...

i hope this modus operandis dont become a "fashion", or the simple fun of testing an addon in the editor will become a mith...

just posted in a positive feeling, i know its your option. plp just had to respect i guess.

cya in the next addon!