Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

With a cover like this, people can hardly distinguish it from Call of Duty 2 or some other completely generic glam shooter. This will be reflected in the community soon. Watch and see.

But it's good. Not bad. it means more people will buy it (there is still soo many people buyng just by the cover), wich means more money for BIS and it means some new game in the future.

Watch and see.

I would prefer BIS to make the extra money out of their military clientele who have lots of it as opposed to creating a game that will attract hoardes of brain-process deprived 13 year olds.

Well, I suspect heavily the answer to all those questions is negative.

Unfortunately the only people BIS seems to listen to come from 2 groups:

Group1: These people just take screenshots in the editor all day and occasionally play CTF or some other mindless DM mode. They can often be found whoring around the addons and mods complete threads saying things like "good job team!!!! great work!!!! Keep It Up!!!" even though the addons in question are generally broken in MP, have addon dependency issues, irregular model lighting and a whole load of other small bugs.

Group2: The elite little crew of addon makers who interchange between VBS and OFP and battle between each other to make the ultimate US special forces units or M4 SOPMOD models. Their ultimate goal is to play Hexenkessel TDM with 24 units on the map all with reflective goggles, realistically modelled boot laces and wavy radio antennas.

This post is quoted because of the sad truth of it all.

In order for people to agree on anything generalisations are made and conclusions drawn.

There *are* people in the OFP community who are in dire need of basic schooling.

There *are* people in other game communities who have yet to find OFP/ArmA and would be much better suited towards it.

yeah what are you complaining about? as long as you don't end up in a server with the people who play a game for the fun of it, it isn't the of the world right?

and so what this cover does look shiney and the OFP one didn't this one looks more epic to me, and hopefuly to others as well. The whole point of an design is so that the mainstream likes is, not that the minority loves it. Taste is one of those things you shouldn't be argueing about.

Now let's just get on with the more important stuff, how are the first impressions of the lucky ones out there? smile_o.gif Only a few hours untill we know right? yay.gif

Doh, that vid really made want to get ArmA ASAP crazy_o.gif

About the cover: I prefered the OFP one, the new one is too boring, even the CoD cover looked more interesting.. crazy_o.gif

(Someone made a great cover a while ago from an ingame screenshot and posted it here, which also looked more interesting, a cover should instantly tell you what kind of game it is. The OFP clearly pointed out that it was a mil-sim (to me) and that soldier just stared at you right in the eye in a badass way, while the ArmA cover.. Well... Its a game, and there is probably some shooting, and helicopters.. and weird colored soldiers... Hey, look at this game! that looks awesome! ) wow_o.gif

And yes, i did say that the BF:MC cover looked better then the ArmA one, because it attracts more attention, which is one of the main reasons a good cover is necessary smile_o.gif

Paragraphic, I am trying to bring awareness to these issues that 3% of the OFP community have been crying out about since day one.

Quote[/b] ]The whole point of an design is so that the mainstream likes is, not that the minority loves it. Taste is one of those things you shouldn't be argueing about.

Sad truth. Money and all that.

We get a shiny OFP, the military gets what ArmA could easily have been and the generic shiny game sales drop for 6 months. Then ArmA is abandoned by the majority for the latest fad.

The minority is then left with a game engine where they can see their boot laces in great detail, but cannot replay a battle, or save their MP campaign etc.

As Natalie Portman is hot, I am going to paraphrase a starwars line.

"So this is how OFP dies, in a roar of shiny applause"

Sorry .. had a geek moment. biggrin_o.gif

Damn it, that cover doesn't apeal to me! Me, the hardcore fan who has most likely already pre-ordered the game! This is an outrage! Designing game covers artisticly... and to attract attention. Bah, I say! biggrin_o.gif

The video has some very nice sounds, however it also demonstrates some other things -

Infantry are easily mobile on a 45 degree slope ....

When standing and leaning, there is no weapon sway which is highly unrealistic.

When firing from a standing and leaning position, recoil seems to do nothing, which is also highly unrealistic.

AI seem to react to enemy fire as effectively as a roast potato would.

The video has some very nice sounds, however it also demonstrates some other things -

Infantry are easily mobile on a 45 degree slope ....

When firing from a standing and leaning position, recoil seems to do nothing, which is also highly unrealistic.

AI seem to react to enemy fire as effectively as a roast potato would.

Agree on slope, and sway, recoil things. Didnt noticed it but you are right. Don't agree on enemy reaction, those guys were sitting duck, sniper picked them one by one in few seconds, very realistic in my opinion, surprise and good shoting postion is the key.

Thanks for agreeing Kirq. Here is a comparison with the reaction times:

The soldier in the open is in cover in 3 seconds.

In the ArmA video he shoots like 5 rounds over 8-9 seconds.

Edit: Looz, leaving this country tommorow 18:00, take over.

Pity about the slope stuff, but I agree with Kirq there, they were on a slope - nowhere to go. The sniper had a rock to hide behind, the OPFOR had nothing. All they could do is go prone in all their OFP'ness.

...and yeah, the radio sounds blow chunks, as always. Especially the taped on "2" on BMP.... 2. Sounds like he had to think about it.  tounge2.gif

I laughed when that guy said "BRDM is history." Sounds like some kind of 13 year old nerd. I expected a nyaaaargh on the end of it.

Crap you seem to be right, that is ridiculous crazy_o.gif

I`m sorry to join the criticism bandawagon but I must inquire.Am I the only person worried about:

-A lucklaster campaign?All previews indicate that there is no main chracter the player can identify with so no atmosphere like in CWC.No to mention the switch player that ruins any chance of immersion

-NO ENTERABLE BUILDINGS.I`ve read all the previews watched all the screenshots and except for one hotel there isn`t anything close to an enterable building.We had them in Cold War Crisis in 2001;Resistance in 2004,how can this be explained from a game that wants itself to be a true sequel or at least OF 1.5

sad_o.gif

Yup. cover designers are useless these days!  icon_rolleyes.gif

Just a little bit of imagination and Photoshop skill can come up with something so much more appealing to the gaming world!  tounge2.gif

arma_box.jpg

Haha  rofl.gif

That cover would be cool!

Is it right that there's a delay on the czech release over the weekend?

That is strange (entertable buildings). In orginal CWC there was lots of enterable buildings. Resistance had much less of those. And in ArmA even less... This is why Libany (capitol) in Nogova sucked and Petrovice was bit better, but those ugly cementblockbuildings weren't as good as Everon's and it's mates.

Well if AI can't use them dynamicaly, then it's okay... but for MP this is severe flaw.

Keep in mind this island is 400x400 and I highly doubt all of its details would be in the press demo's atleast in that given time,it was stated there would be enterable buildings,we just haven't found the right ones.

Many of ArmA buildings are enterable, the reviewers just couldn't find the entrance via: Door, closed and they have just written off building as not enterable. There are a lot of side entrances to a building, most of them leading to a roof or a balcony, there are a few that are not enterable, but the ones that are, provide more than solid cover. Even the mysterious attic of a certain CWC building is now accessible via ladder. wink_o.gif

the reviewers just couldn't find the entrance via: Door, closed and they have just written off building as not enterable.

Yea! They probably had the same problem getting home the previous night! ... LOL ...  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Many of ArmA buildings are enterable, the reviewers just couldn't find the entrance via: Door, closed and they have just written off building as not enterable. There are a lot of side entrances to a building, most of them leading to a roof or a balcony, there are a few that are not enterable, but the ones that are, provide more than solid cover. Even the mysterious attic of a certain CWC building is now accessible via ladder

That`s very interesting.I find it odd because if the buildings would be enterable they would have windows but I have yet to see such buildings in any of the screenshots or videos except for the hotel.Can you link an example for me to media that shows this or have you played a beta version of ArmA and have hands on knwoledge.