Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Well to sum up it briefly, that preview introduces the gameplay, the mission-styles and so on. It says how damn real ArmA is, and that every step could be your last. The editor tells a little about the story behind ArmA, the south and the north, how US is involved, the usual stuff that helps newbies and veterans to envision what happens there on sahrani and how to play it. Like 'You got a shot to your leg, so you can't walk anymore' or 'A shot to the head is fatal' ... 'No health indicators or stuff like that'. He just brings out the stuff we love since 2001. Although he stated some of the improvements that was made engine-side, he starts with a bit of nagging around because of the dowdy graphics and some faults in AI behaviour and the grass (i guess he has never seen the whole variety). If you look at those shots you will see, that he can't even tune the mipmaps of the textures, that's where those dowdy impressions come from wink_o.gif

His conclusion is, that ArmA will be fantastic. That 400kmË› is that what impressed him most - imho. He repeats his nagging about some little things he doesn't like, but ArmA is fun for him. The atmosphere is great, the missions are thrilling, the freedom of how to accomplish a mission is outstanding. 'ArmA will become the reference for any tactical gamer who loves to play in a realistic manner' are his closing words.

That's just a little extract from what is in the article, any complete translation is welcome biggrin_o.gif

hmm i think we gotta be realistic here , of course arma looks piss poor on low settings, all games do and if that review gives some poor chap with a low end pc a view of what arma will look like for him then so be it and so what ?

well you might say what about those with good pc`s who might wanna see how they can see arma in all its glory and i agree but the balance already swings in that favour, 95% of all the info on arma we get is from mags ,fans and community websites and i personally think the balance is perfect in regards to low settings and high settings smile_o.gif.

it all reminds me of this trailer for cold war crisis

lets be honest how many of us evr played cwc and got it to look like that ?

even looking at that trailerright now ya wanna get ya disk and play it huh .

we all know without a nasa pc you aint gonna your gonna get normal settings at best and no waves and all the effects:)

so in essence with the exception of bis pr i reckon arma is getting a fair write up smile_o.gif.

oh and the trailer i was reffering too is here smile_o.gif

cw final trailer

just my 2quid

Guest Ti0n3r

oneoff, that's a trailer for Elite wich BIS never used. They released it as a 'gift' to the community.

yeh thats my point the file is called 1985cwf_trailer

it makes ya wanna get your cwc cd out and play it huh ?

but it aint gonna look like that , same for arma it has low settings and high settings just like all games and i reckon the footage of arma as been well balanced. aprt from bis who have to be bias by association just a cold hard fact not unique in anyway smile_o.gif.

pls bis let dyslexi do a report on it for us who have to wait , i know some vbs guy has gone to bis hq but to be honest hislast thing was poor and like i said hes from the vbs communtiy and ther all snobs who lordy lordy. some come back with there tail between there legs becuase vbs never took off and has not got the communtiy that ofp does ,but theres no substitute for an real ofp player review smile_o.gif

whistle.gifgoodnight.gif

There is a second one: http://www.cynamite.de/pc....on.html

Positive: Developers have improved the AI.

Negative: They are über-aiming, x-ray alike through bushes and grass.

Positive: The Battlefield-feeling is unique. It feels like you are a soldier in a real vast conflict.

Negative: No more Heros. Just a single unknown soldier. Guess he means that he has nothing to identify with, no main characters.

Positive: Controlling vehicles is much easier than in OFP.

Negative: Flying helos is an ordeal compared to BFË›, actually compared to flight-sims.

The vidoes have been taken at the lowest or rather at middle details, what was intended: On higher settings the control of vehicles becomes inaccurate. He says 'schwammig' what means directly translated spongy *lol*. Dunno if there is an english phrase, marking it correctly. The teste were performed on a 3 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Geforce 6800 or Radeon 1900 system.

Here's the exact translation of the upshot:

http://armed-assault.net/news/gameswelt-preview.html

Take a look at the left screenshot in the bottom...

Looks nearly the same as this one from tiscali preview rofl.gif

Same mission, same starting point. The only difference is that the gameswelt guy allowed a second or two for the textures and models to properly load before taking a screenshot...

EDIT:

@hoot:

My very bad german isn't hepful, but is it me, or are they saying that ArmA is just copying BF2!?!

EDIT:

@hoot:

My very bad german isn't hepful, but is it me, or are they saying that ArmA is just copying BF2!?!

Where exactly?!

If you mean this sentence "Hubschrauberfliegen ist eine echte Tortur verglichen mit Battlefield 2, aber sogar auch mit waschechten Simulationen." Then its just said, that flying helos in ArmA is ordeal compared to flight-sims or BFË›. He does not compare the gameplays.

Same mission, same starting point. The only difference is that the gameswelt guy allowed a second or two for the textures and models to properly load before taking a screenshot...

No the only differnce is that the guy on tiscali had problems with graphic card drivers... those tiscali screens without textures aren't about low detail settings, but about graphic bug :-)

EDIT:

@hoot:

Where exactly?!

If you mean this sentence "Hubschrauberfliegen ist eine echte Tortur verglichen mit Battlefield 2, aber sogar auch mit waschechten Simulationen." Then its just said, that flying helos in ArmA is ordeal compared to flight-sims or BFË›. He does not compare the gameplays.

Yeah, that's what I meant, thanks for the correct translation. As said, not attending the German classes results in a piss poor translations. wink_o.gif

@adamicz:

Probably. Although, it could also be caused by not preloading the location when changing the location of camera by long distances.

Quote[/b] ]Negative: They are über-aiming, x-ray alike through bushes and grass.

OMG no! Just like OFP CWC 1.0

Quote[/b] ]Negative: They are über-aiming, x-ray alike through bushes and grass.

OMG no! Just like OFP CWC 1.0

i thought they had fixed that..

didn't they said they fixed all OFP bugs? huh.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

It's kinda logical to open fire upon a bush if your enemy dives right through it. I bet he's just being a crybaby wink_o.gif

It's kinda logical to open fire upon a bush if your enemy dives right through it. I bet he's just being a crybaby wink_o.gif

we also know there will be some supressor fire from AIs..

maybe they didn't avaluate it as so.. and afirmed it as a bug biggrin_o.gif

im bet ArmA its really really good!

Ah well,means less of the graphic kiddies who can't stay dedicated to a game and need their providing company to make game every few months or so won't be joining us,hooray.

I don't really think there is currently a computer to date that can run Armed Assault's full graphics and flow steadily.

ehm typo maybe?!

edit: aw, solved @ ander^son wink_o.gif

Positive: Developers have improved the AI.

Negative: They are über-aiming, x-ray alike through bushes and grass.

I wonder what they mean with 'uber aiming', the OFP AI were very good shooters compared with other FPS games, mostly because in other games the AI cant hit the broad side of a barn to make the game easier.

And there is no shooting trough bushes in OFP/ArmA, but once the AI has seen you and you move behind a bush the AI will still know where you are, or try to guess where you are. (You can notice the same effect as a player to, when your squadleader assigns you a target it gets a yellow box around it. When the enemy walks behind an object the yellow box will keep moving in the same direction as the last time you saw the enemy, when the enemy gets in your view again then the postion of the yellow box gets correct to where the enemy really is. The AI uses that 'yellow' box effect to where to shoot, and they know they can shoot trough bushes and they will. Also, walking/crouching/etc makes noise, even when the enemy didnt know where you were before, when you start crawling behind them they will hear you)

Thats probably what was meant,but instead they were too ignorant to understand that once the AI spots you,they track your movements.

Thats probably what was meant,but instead they were too ignorant to understand that once the AI spots you,they track your movements.

Probably because alot of (older) games used the 'watching trough walls' technique to make the AI smarter, OFP/ArmA really is different and tbh alot of OFPers still think the way the reviewer did wink_o.gif

@ofpforum: Yep wink_o.gif

But to be honest, the AI in OFP has, however, always the right touch to guess your position behind foliage, once it has spotted you of course. I'm always spraying bullets to a postion behind fooliage where i believe the hostile unit is hiding and not that single shot. Anyhow, the AI in OFP is far better than those bots, known from all the other shooters. I know it's kind of blasphemy to compare them wink_o.gif

Guys, I don't give a flying monkey toss about reflective UAZ windows.

I really don't think after 5 years of development we should be getting an OFP with new graphics and some basic optimisations.

I would like to know if:

We can export a logfile or any data at all from ArmA.

We can save the status of MP games.

We can disembark AI from a non local vehicle.

We can reload a non local weapon.

blah blah blah

My tech boffin says OFP also had a similar command that was later disabled in the commercial version.

This could be the same.