Sign in to follow this  
vektorboson

O2 light license

how many of you have taken the time to copyright your work?

Taken the time? Surely, you mean taken the money...Don't know about you, but i'm poor as a who**.

Taken the time? Surely, you mean taken the money...Don't know about you, but i'm poor as a who**.

I think he meant in the readme, claiming ownership for your work and an explicit EULA, i think it would be wise for people to compile one and include it with their addons. Shouldnt be too hard although for some it might be kind of late...

I think he meant in the readme, claiming ownership for your work and an explicit EULA, i think it would be wise for people to compile one and include it with their addons. Shouldnt be too hard although for some it might be kind of late...

I'd have to say that checking and updating readmes should be a priority for all addonmakers who feel that their work may be used without their knowledge.  Putting together a standard readme which is legally bullet-proof insofar as Codemasters and BIS allow might be a plan.

You do not need to claim ownership for your work, as you are the owner of your work, regardless if there is an EULA or not.

But you can place it under public domain, which has to be done explicitly.

But if you really have to include an EULA, then please don't use any Lawyer-speak, as there will be as much confusion as in the O2Light license. (think of all those non-english-speakers)

Just state what is allowed, what not.

Guys, don't try to include the contents of the other thread

in here, as i'm sure this one would become closed too then  wink_o.gif

As far as i could read before the other one got closed, it's been looking like somebody has stolen someones work, but

then again there's been near the end a statement from one

of the addonmakers being involved, and he said that they

asked him for permission - i'm pretty sure that they were asking all the other ones too, and until there's no proof of

being not so, we should all let this untouched.

:edit - i did not name anything/anybody, nor did i accuse anybody of something (or of nothing), therefore i will not edit this post, as suggested one post further.

If this post is reason for a later discussion, i will off course

change the text, but i doubt it will be.

~S~ CD

Guys, don't try to include the contents of the other thread

in here, as i'm sure this one would become closed too then  wink_o.gif

You failed to comply with your own request confused_o.gif .

An edit might help keeping this thread open and on topic smile_o.gif .

An edit might help keeping this thread open and on topic smile_o.gif .

Or just don't respond to people that do try to start a discussion about it smile_o.gif

I switched to 3DSMAX because I found the O2 license a bit unclear about actual ownership of created content (and because MAX is a superiour program). I hope they include a 100% clear paragraph in the next version of their tools about who owns the created content (if distributed for free) of all tools released by BIS.

When someone actually figures out this to the point where BIS doesnt own what you make, please make a post saying "Myth busted!"

At least here in Finland I own whatever I create no matter what a license says, even a legally binding contract cannot take that right away from me as a contract cannot override the law here. And I can do whatever I want with what I have the copyright to. However, if I would sell some addons I have made, I would have violated the O2 license and therefore have used it illegally. Though I could argue that when I was using O2 I used it to create something for free and then later on decided to sell it, but that would be pretty hard to prove in a court :P

Also, the OFP EULA is not legally binding in any way here, by buying the game I got the right to use it and I do not have to agree to the EULA to be allowed to do so. And even if clicking an "I agree" button could be interprented as truly agreeing to a license, nobody could ever prove that I actually clicked that button when I installed the game.

the work did before importing in O2 is own intelectual popriety

right?

so:

i use a Wing 3D good open source program

the Wing3D licence allow sell

if i import a 3Dmodel in O2 it still my intellectual propriety?

i can avoid BIS use my work?

how can i put a copyright?

i must put a EULA?

what happen if i import a comercial 3D model in O2

Bis cannot claim a intlectual propriety or use it without the seller aproval (i think)

so

if i protect by a copyright a 3D model before importing in O2

Bis cannot claim a intlectual propriety or use it without my approval

right?

??

i am not lawyer who can help me

You could always sell the original model you made in another program and offer the addon as a FREE gift. However the proof of intent could be be a bit tricky in a court of law. You could argue that the free addon was a gimmick. On the other hand the counter argument might claim that your real intent was to sell the addon with the original 3d model.

The problem with this scenario is that by offering an addon as a free gift when one purchases an original 3D model is that 'free gift' to most people means they could hand it along to others.

Other communities such as Trainz and MS Flight Simulator and others have "Payware", and to all intents and purposes this works. Although I do know that even this gets ripped off even within their own communities.

Personally I think making addons for sale to the community wouldn't work. 1. The community was built on the freely available addons made by the community, and 2. Commercial addons would be distributed through an underground element of the community regardless if one existed or not.

Going by BNN's venture I would say that organisation found a market for a product based upon the OFP engine and did their homework on it regarding saleable viability, their ability to create the product, then approached BIS with a plan.

Regardless of who owns what created in O2 or any other 3D program, I would suggest that if any one of you, or group of you think you have a marketable product that utilises the OFP engine, then approach BIS.

While I can't speak for them, I am sure that if the product is viable, it doesn't infringe on anyone else's (BIS, BIA etc) current market strategy, is original, doesn't use community free addons (without permission), and has a definite market, then BIS may look at it.

I just don't want anything to happen to the free tools Bis is so nice to supply us.

I think this...

BIS intended to use our "user made" addons to market their game.Also the reason for the more recent News page with links to new addons.

If you make the addon you surely own the p3d,whether it was made in O2 or not it would be hard to tell.

Sell it on one of those pay per model sites if you'd like,I'm sure people would buy them

If O2 has to be used to get the addon ingame (does it?) Bis wouldn't be happy about you making money with a addon specifically for their game,they would have to get a share of the profits

If they made a deal with another company with some marketing strategy or whatnot ,the only way I can see that it would be legal is if they only provide links to user made addons because including addons with a compilation of such would breach user eula

Thinking of the non forum OFP player prolly wouldn't go to each addon host to gather adddons required to play a mission pack that someone sold

That makes it very difficult to sell a mission pack that requires user made addons

So guys if Bis made a deal with someone to remarket OFP and your addons are being included ,please be lenient with them,especially if your addons are unmodified

Don't want to mess up their sales and the way they give us O2 to make addons to help their game

Another possibility is just sell O2 and user owns anything made with it

Guest RKSL-Rock

right?

??

This should answer most questions on copyright

What is copyright

This covers most western countries, as some have already pointed out local laws of some countries aren’t signed up to this particular piece of international law so don’t take it as gospel but its a good basic guide.

Earlier this year a friend of mine and I successfully sued a guy for selling our models (3DS Max) on his website as his own work.  He was forced to pay all costs and damages and remove all digital content that he couldn’t prove were his from his website.  The site closed down.  So internet copyright is enforceable.

My advice is make a copy before you release it, keep it safe and make sure you put a comment about reserving your rights and copyright as to how its used.  In this case about how it cannot be used for commercial or training uses of government or institutions.  The BAS readmes are pretty good examples to start from.

Hope this helps.

edits for typos

the work did before importing in O2 is own intelectual popriety

right?

so:

i use a Wing 3D good open source program

the Wing3D licence allow sell

if i import a 3Dmodel in O2 it still my intellectual propriety?

i can avoid BIS use my work?

how can i put a copyright?

i must put a EULA?

what happen if i import a comercial 3D model in O2

Bis cannot claim a intlectual propriety or use it without the seller aproval (i think)

so

right?

??

The model made in another program (Wings 3D in your case) is fully your own property, and can be sold in every way you like. Once you import it in Oxygen and alter it in any way, or save it in the .p3d format (which is different from the .p3d format that other programs use) you can't sell it anymore.

As for actual property of the model when made or altered in Oxygen, it would be nice to hear BIS tell us instead of people trying to explain the EULA that comes with Oxygen.