Sign in to follow this  
bn880

AP Mines

Hello,

I know it is probably completely too late to request, but I would just like to know if Anti Personnel mine technology will be supported in the Armed Assault game engine.

For example, to enable the man simulation to hit / damage objects, or interact in any passive way.

Or to have a "trigger mass" setting for addon mines. (in config)

Currently AP mines and trip wires are extremely inefficient as the game engine has that lack of features hard coded.

Regards

I am no fan af AP mines, but once you support bombs, mines are not very different. Many bombs and bomblets do not detonate anyway, and are colored yellow etc.

I don't think they will reveal any kind of information right now... sad_o.gif

"When the time is right" - just hoping it's going to be soon smile_o.gif

Information about AP mines? Well, okay then. smile_o.gif Then at least it's some suggestion.

Well there are tripwires in the fdfmod allready...

And there are CoC mines. Have you checked the implementation?

The minepack from Spesnatz Mode works perfectly whitout any triggers. Unfortunatly the config are in russian and total impossible to read... wink_o.gif

Okay, yeah I guess we don't need anything to get real AP mines. Fine by me.... goodnight.gif

banghead.gif Then what? No one has ever made proper AP mines, and not in russian configs either. You want to say they did, prove it. help.gif

Try about 400 of them in multiplayer, let me know how it turns out.

l.........a......a........a.......ggg....g  wink_o.gif

Yeah we could use some real type AP mines. Where AI will even trip them off. These things lack in ofp. Sure we have the tripwires in FDF and CoC mines and others. But they all fail to have that aspect bn880 is talking about. I'd like to see AP mines that are various in construction and react as they should. And if bodies get chucked through the air and hit something that the object it hits gets some form off damage if only a scrath or something. So you can see the dammage of the blast, not only a body and some blackened crater on the spot where the explosion was.

banghead.gif  Then what?  No one has ever made proper AP mines, and not in russian configs either.  You want to say they did, prove it.  help.gif

They did the best they could, it is an impressive package and it worked with a.i. too.

Ofcourse if BIS is to support ap mines and tripwires in the game without the need of external scripts (like the ATmines) it will be much better, lets just hope for the best smile_o.gif .

Proper AP mines will be great. I have to admit that OFP had quite bad implementation of any mines. I've been playing the game for 4 years and I rarely used mines AT or AP. Especially scripted ones - they required too much effort... wink_o.gif

l.........a......a........a.......ggg....g  wink_o.gif

Yeah we could use some real type AP mines. Where AI will even trip them off. These things lack in ofp. Sure we have the tripwires in FDF and CoC mines and others. But they all fail to have that aspect bn880 is talking about. I'd like to see AP mines that are various in construction and react as they should. And if bodies get chucked through the air and hit something that the object it hits gets some form off damage if only a scrath or something. So you can see the dammage of the blast, not only a body and some blackened crater on the spot where the explosion was.

seems you just have a taste on the LOLv4 biggrin_o.gif

i agree with that, this is one thing OFP always lack

but is that damage thing is something for DIB?

Mapfact mines anyone? Their AP mine kills AI like hell and works perfectly without any triggers... And can be used to create a nice chain reaction tounge2.gif

Oh for crying out loud,

Could you guys please check the scripts of all those AP mines you mentioned and then come back and read what bn880 requested? Thanks a lot

Mapfact mines anyone? Their AP mine kills AI like hell and works perfectly without any triggers... And can be used to create a nice chain reaction tounge2.gif

I tested them some time ago, they work perfect. Only the chain reaction could produce big lag, it could be that around 50 - 60 AP mines are a little too much. wink_o.gif

Feel free to lock this thread, I've had just about enough.

Maybe we don't even want to request ropes or vehicle in vehicle transport, or multi gun positions in Game 2, we all know how great all those have been overcome... icon_rolleyes.gif

I think Bn880 is going for ease of implementation. Personally, I don't use half the scripts and stuff add-ons come with because they're a pain in the ass to use. Alt_Tab, write down, back in, put in back, copy paste, rename mine, rename variables, copy paste, over and over until you die of boredome before you get any mines in there.

In fact, I wish there were alot of 'buttons' and 'sliders' we can use in the editor to ease the mission making process. I don't care how insulted some of you 'profession 100% ub3r effort' players are, I just want to be able to adjust how high my machine gun is without having to dick around with some long string of text and code that I can't be half-arsed to remember in my limited spare time.

Quote[/b] ]

George: Sir, just one thing. If we should happen to tread on a mine, what do we do?

Edmund: Well, normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area.

George: Oh... righto then.

Short Version: No, Bn880 is not talking about 'ease of implementation' he is talking about it done fucking properly by the people who have the source code.

Long Version: Understand that Bn880 was one of the people who made CoC mines several years ago, way before mapfact or any other addon maker. They tried every possible of way implementing it and none of them were terribly efficient. They all require a extension system to be run to detect if there is any people in close proximity to the mine ...

'Hard-Coded' means that it is within the game engine's source code. If mine detection was 'hard-coded' there would be a considerable difference in performance, as the coding would be part of the game's normal functions and done efficiently as possible.

So using this system you could have something people in the military call a 'mine-field'. This is basically a large amount of mines concentrated into one area. This is useful for slowing down an enemy or focusing his movement somewhere else.

Bn880 is interested in seeing a realistic AP mine simulation, or he is interested in making one. He would just like some hard coding to support it instead of having to use inefficient coding hacks. I just hope people don't misunderstand what Bn880 is asking for.

err wild stab in the dark ..

how does the game collision detection know when your in close proximty to a tank (eg getting run over ) to kill you ?

and would it be posible to produce a model (static) that would use this detection to trigger yer mine script

instead of a fast (lag) loop in script

forgive me if that sound rediculous ive been up all night tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]how does the game collision detection know when your in close proximty to a tank (eg getting run over ) to kill you  ?

I've been unable to get infantry collisions to affect static objects or vehicles.

It works with vehicles. They will damage a mine object enough, to call it's killed event. Although you also have the problem of addons using variations in their geometry, some don't represent the wheels. But you can get round that, with careful design of the geo lod. So you can still make plenty of fancy types of IED.

All they have to add is the extra collision stuff for infantry. Perhaps it’s wishfull thinking on my part, but I hope Armed Assault is all ready well into it’s final beta testing stage?

No, you cannot use collision detection of infantry to set off mines. If it was possible it would be in VBS by now...

rofl.gif

*Bn880 spanks me*

inlove.gif

Anyway ...

I think this thread only needed to be 1 post long.